Politics Thread v5.0

Andie

1 hour ago, einsteinjr said:

It seems a theme to a lot of folks on here thinks that if we just add more police officers, things would suddenly be better.

I personally don't want to live in a police-state where someone is stationed every block to watch for graffiti. 

Yeah... lets assume the only other option is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum.   A total police state.  😀

You are so apathetic.   You actually don't care if your house or property is damaged because that is just life and you are glad Seattle chased away a significant percentage of its police force and the result has been a complete mess.    I challenge you to go talk to the juniors and seniors at UW and let them describe how much worse it is now than it was back in 2019 when they arrived on campus.    Assaults and harassment of students is off the charts.  Its not safe to walk any street around campus now at any time of the day.   And the police literally tell the students not to bother reporting it because they won't come.   My son's house has been broken into more times than they can count.   The police have never even filed a report.     That house had been broken into one time in the last decade per the owner.    And at least 20 times since George Floyd died.

You are so afraid of a police state that you don't even see the problem with a massively understaffed police force.    And your rebuttal is that bad stuff happens everywhere.     Its just comical and so short-sighted.    

Thankfully the new mayor seems to have a sense of urgency and understands that what is happening in Seattle is absolutely not sustainable.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

• Longtimer
3 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Ignoring the fact that local vs. state level policies are completely different animals (which I was debating the former with einstein) anytime I see a "think tank" used as a source, it pretty much loses all credibility. There is always an agenda think thanks are trying to push however "center" they try and label themselves.

So instead, let's look at CDC data: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/homicide_mortality/homicide.htm

Of the 19 states with the highest homicide mortality rates, 8 are run by Democrats and 11 are run by Republicans. Certainly doesn't paint the clear picture of a "Republican state problem" like that article tries to suggest. 

It’s a slanted article, no doubt. More about the fact that if you push an issue too far, you can look kind of silly when the tables are turned even slightly. Pearl clutching is a real phenomenon, and there’s a lot to unpack when it comes to homicide rates, especially when you consider they involve such a minuscule cross section of a society. In a nutshell, you can often boil it down to gang related activity, drug culture, mental illness and domestic violence. The “rest” are generally seen as outliers, at least from a UCR perspective.

It’s popular to think public policy can have a massive impact on this, but it’s not as simple as one would like to think. Criminology is a real science. If it were as simple as looking at the political ideology of any given jurisdiction, it’d be pretty easy. 

This isn’t to say that cities like Portland and Seattle (among others) haven’t made some grievous errors in policy over the last several years, particularly since we all lost our minds two years ago…

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

This is a very lazy, glib take on the situation. Very similar to someone saying of violent encounters with police that if “suspects” would have just complied from the beginning, it never would have happened.

Am I not wrong?  The only thing that has been pointed out as a problem with Seattle's policies causing this influx of crime is what happened with the police's budget due to the libs (which, btw, wasn't cut THAT much). 

I'm only saying (and have been saying) it's a lot more complicated than just needing more police when you consider what has happened to everyone the last 2 years.

1 minute ago, einsteinjr said:

Am I not wrong?  The only thing that has been pointed out as a problem with Seattle's policies causing this influx of crime is what happened with the police's budget due to the libs (which, btw, wasn't cut THAT much). 

I'm only saying (and have been saying) it's a lot more complicated than just needing more police when you consider what has happened to everyone the last 2 years.

Excuses.   The policies enacted in places like Seattle and Portland since the death of George Floyd are a HUGE part of the problem.     It was a massive overreaction.    And its hurting many good people.  It was all so unnecessary.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

21 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... lets assume the only other option is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum.   A total police state.  😀

You are so apathetic.   You actually don't care if your house or property is damaged because that is just life and you are glad Seattle chased away a significant percentage of its police force and the result has been a complete mess.    I challenge you to go talk to the juniors and seniors at UW and let them describe how much worse it is now than it was back in 2019 when they arrived on campus.    Assaults and harassment of students is off the charts.  Its not safe to walk any street around campus now at any time of the day.   And the police literally tell the students not to bother reporting it because they won't come.   My son's house has been broken into more times than they can count.   The police have never even filed a report.     That house had been broken into one time in the last decade per the owner.    And at least 20 times since George Floyd died.

You are so afraid of a police state that you don't even see the problem with a massively understaffed police force.    And your rebuttal is that bad stuff happens everywhere.     Its just comical and so short-sighted.    

Thankfully the new mayor seems to have a sense of urgency and understands that what is happening in Seattle is absolutely not sustainable.  

I'm not apathetic - I just value different things than you.  Dealing with Graffiti literally once on my property is not something I'm going to lose sleep over.

Perhaps I'd feel differently about this whole thing if I had an adult son living in a house being broken into all the time. =/

• Longtimer
10 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

Yes, you are wrong. It’s simple cause and effect. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

Even a small cut will strongly embolden criminals.

Never day Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Yes, you are wrong. It’s simple cause and effect. 

?

So you think if George Floyd never happened and police budgets were what they were in previous years, crime & homelessness would not have increased in Seattle?

11 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

I'm not apathetic - I just value different things than you.  Dealing with Graffiti literally once on my property is not something I'm going to lose sleep over.

Perhaps I'd feel differently about this whole thing if I had an adult son living in a house being broken into all the time. =/

Or if you had a daughter at UW.    Its a nightmare for them.  You obviously don't value safety because it has declined dramatically... right in sync with the decline in the police force.

And the entire city of Seattle appears to be covered in graffiti.    It was not like that a couple years ago.    I am glad the new mayor recognizes how bad that is for a city.    And most people in Seattle that I know feel the same way.     Thankfully not everyone is apathetic like you.    

• Longtimer
2 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

?

So you think if George Floyd never happened and police budgets were what they were in previous years, crime & homelessness would not have increased in Seattle?

I think it absolutely would have increased. The combination of existing policies and the pandemic would have undoubtedly led to a similar increase. But when you ramp up efforts to take an unprecedentedly soft/non-existent approach to property and drug crimes, while constructively vilifying law enforcement to the point of literally advocating the takeover of city property which houses police infrastructure and personnel, it changes the game significantly.

You make it sound like we’re living in a static world where we just want to add a bunch of cops and to fix a problem. The reality is these departments are flailing trying to get their heads even close to above water. Portland’s best example was their “reorganization” when they completely eliminated their gun violence task force in a brilliant effort to pander to the “everyone/everything is racist” mob. The results haven’t been inspiring and now the department is imposing unprecedented measures to try and bring officers back, let alone just trying to “add” officers.

11 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

?

The overreaction certainly has made it much worse. 

But hey... at least we got that stupid idea out of our system.   Defund the police is the most toxic political platform in the country right now.    

20 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

You make it sound like we’re living in a static world where we just want to add a bunch of cops and to fix a problem.

Based on much of what's written on this thread, that was the impression I got.  And mind you I don't agree with the above.

21 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

The reality is these departments are flailing trying to get their heads even close to above water. 

Yes, from what I've read, it's no longer a budget issue but a hiring issue - like we have in a lot of different sectors.  I have all the respect in the world for good police work and would have no issue paying a bit more taxes to increase their hourly rates to come to Seattle PD.

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

Einstein: "I'm not apathetic."

Also Einstein: "I don't really care because it doesn't affect me."

😂

Uhhhh - the graffiti did affect me?  We were talking about property damage.

And yes, opinions change when you are directly affected by something.  Especially if it's something that can't be replaced or painted over.

34 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

Based on much of what's written on this thread, that was the impression I got.  And mind you I don't agree with the above.

Yes, from what I've read, it's no longer a budget issue but a hiring issue - like we have in a lot of different sectors.  I have all the respect in the world for good police work and would have no issue paying a bit more taxes to increase their hourly rates to come to Seattle PD.

Why do you talk about these minor budget issues?    The city of Seattle has created a very hostile environment for law enforcement... and this was an extreme overreaction to one bad cop and his very poor judgement 1,500 miles away on a fateful May evening in 2020.   Good officers don't want to work in Seattle and its not about the money.   

• Longtimer
22 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

And why do you think hiring is such an issue?

Having what is a functional police force on a basic level and a court system that is capable of prosecuting criminal offenses is a far cry from the police state you speak of/fear. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Why do you talk about these minor budget issues?    The city of Seattle has created a very hostile environment for law enforcement... and this was an extreme overreaction to one bad cop and his very poor judgement 1,500 miles away on a fateful May evening in 2020.   Good officers don't want to work in Seattle and its not about the money.   

First of all, you have brought up the budget several times implying Seattle slashed police budgets, etc.  Which just isn't true.

Second of all, how can you possibly know this without having intimate knowledge of the police force in the general area?  You live in North Bend, FFS.  

Thirdly, your "one bad apple" comment says a lot about you and your...shall we say...perspective.

13 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

And why do you think hiring is such an issue?

Having what is a functional police force on a basic level and a court system that is capable of prosecuting criminal offenses is a far cry from the police state you speak of/fear. 

As we've read in the news, hiring is an issue for a lot of industries.  Police work can't be easy.  More people are overweight so they can't qualify?  Better police oversight makes mediocre cops nervous?

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons.

• Troll 1

First of all, you have brought up the budget several times implying Seattle slashed police budgets, etc.  Which just isn't true.

Second of all, how can you possibly know this without having intimate knowledge of the police force in the general area?  You live in North Bend, FFS.  

Thirdly, your "one bad apple" comment says a lot about you and your...shall we say...perspective.

Are you seriously saying someone outside of Seattle can't understand what is happening in Seattle?    Ironically... I do think some people who live in Seattle are blind or in complete denial and you are perfect example.  

I wish we could know the true number of people (many of them minorities) who have been hurt or killed as result of less police protection which was a direct result of the collective overreaction to the George Floyd incident.   Hell... there were many people injured and killed just during the "peaceful riots" in the summer of 2020.    Protesting an unjust death with many more deaths and injuries.   That was a great idea.    And you cheering them on.   That worked well huh?  🤨

Like I said... the pendulum has swung very far in the other direction now.   We got that stupidity out of our system.    Now we know that we need police officers for a functioning society because the world is full of bad people who will gladly take advantage of the situation.  

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Excuses.   The policies enacted in places like Seattle and Portland since the death of George Floyd are a HUGE part of the problem.     It was a massive overreaction.    And its hurting many good people.  It was all so unnecessary.  

While I agree with all of this, I do think the increasing economic disparity that is especially prevalent in wealthier cities like Seattle also is playing a role.

There are other factors at play in the rise in crime we've seen across the country over the past year or so.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

19 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

While I agree with all of this, I do think the increasing economic disparity that is especially prevalent in wealthier cities like Seattle also is playing a role.

There are other factors at play in the rise in crime we've seen across the country over the past year or so.

Of course there are other factors.    Regardless... defunding the police was never going to be the answer.  Ever. 

Talk about adding insult to injury.   

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Are you seriously saying someone outside of Seattle can't understand what is happening in Seattle? 

No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm asking how you do you know that police officers don't want to join SPD because of the liberals?  Or that money isn't a factor in their decision making when joining a department? Those are some details that I would be shocked someone living in North Bend would know.  Is your uncle the chief of police?

• lol 1

I'm asking how you do you know that police officers don't want to join SPD because of the liberals?  Or that money isn't a factor in their decision making when joining a department? Those are some details that I would be shocked someone living in North Bend would know.  Is your uncle the chief of police?

What does North Bend have to do with anything?  I have access to the same information you do.

One of many examples...

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/bonuses-discontent-bring-wave-of-seattle-cops-to-snohomish-county/

The biggest exporter of officers over the last two years has been the Seattle Police Department.

And the biggest reason they left? Frustrations over Seattle politics.

Many departed in the wake of mass protests for racial justice in the aftermath of George Floyd’s murder in May 2020.

• Longtimer
15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

One of many examples...

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/bonuses-discontent-bring-wave-of-seattle-cops-to-snohomish-county/

The biggest exporter of officers over the last two years has been the Seattle Police Department.

Many departed in the wake of mass protests for racial justice in the aftermath of George Floyd’s murder in May 2020.

Facts don't matter in some people's heads Tim, how dare you!!🤣🤣

• Like 2

• Longtimer

Snapped this in Eugene last week. SAY HIS NAME! 

CE8A7F59-513B-4B79-B0F5-E2617B8087F8.jpeg

• Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

8 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Snapped this in Eugene last week. SAY HIS NAME! 

CE8A7F59-513B-4B79-B0F5-E2617B8087F8.jpeg

That is street art.    Much better than the graffiti war zone that is Seattle now.    But unfortunately that mural also represents the point in time when places like Seattle and Portland just gave up and let the criminals and vandals run the show.   But its just graffiti... no big deal.   Other cities have a little graffiti too.    I don't understand why einsteinjr even cleaned it up.    Just let them spray paint your entire house and ignore it.. go for the meth lab look!  

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/seattle-parents-angry-upset-graffiti-city-war-zone

Vassie Skoulis, a mother of two and a Seattle homeowner, told Fox News Digital, "Seattle has chosen to punish its residents who desire to live peacefully and respectfully with their neighbors and decided to stop enforcing rules, policies and laws." 

"Residents must clean up garbage and vandalism in their neighborhood," she also said.

Residents must also "pay for property damage created by those who don't want to be part of any community," she said. Skoulis and her family live near the University of Washington. 

Christine Villani, a 30-year resident of Seattle, said that she, too, has noticed an increase in graffiti over the past couple of years. "I find it demoralizing, and I feel like I live in a war zone," she told Fox News Digital. "It says to me that nobody cares, anything goes." 

• Sad 1

• Longtimer
3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

That is street art.    Much better than the graffiti war zone that is Seattle now.    But unfortunately that mural also represents the point in time when places like Seattle and Portland just gave up and let the criminals and vandals run the show.   But its just graffiti... no big deal.   Other cities have a little graffiti too.    I don't understand why einsteinjr even cleaned it up.    Just let them spray paint your entire house and ignore it.. go for the meth lab look!  

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/seattle-parents-angry-upset-graffiti-city-war-zone

Vassie Skoulis, a mother of two and a Seattle homeowner, told Fox News Digital, "Seattle has chosen to punish its residents who desire to live peacefully and respectfully with their neighbors and decided to stop enforcing rules, policies and laws." 

"Residents must clean up garbage and vandalism in their neighborhood," she also said.

Residents must also "pay for property damage created by those who don't want to be part of any community," she said. Skoulis and her family live near the University of Washington. 

Christine Villani, a 30-year resident of Seattle, said that she, too, has noticed an increase in graffiti over the past couple of years. "I find it demoralizing, and I feel like I live in a war zone," she told Fox News Digital. "It says to me that nobody cares, anything goes." 

Oh yes, I was not calling this work of beautiful art graffiti. We must say his name, this patron saint of social justice...

• Like 1
  • lol 1

• Longtimer

Try to take this column seriously. The first thing I thought about when I heard about this self-immolation was, "I wonder if he flew on an airplane to get to DC." Climate grief, give me a break, delusion mixed with narcissism, and maybe some undiagnosed mental illness.  Let's not try to legitimize an idiotic act, this guy was merely a fool. Bless his soul. 

https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/reidout-blog/wynn-bruce-fire-supreme-court-climate-change-rcna25837

• Longtimer
2 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Try to take this column seriously. The first thing I thought about when I heard about this self-immolation was, "I wonder if he flew on an airplane to get to DC." Climate grief, give me a break, delusion mixed with narcissism, and maybe some undiagnosed mental illness.  Let's not try to legitimize an idiotic act, this guy was merely a fool. Bless his soul. 

https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/reidout-blog/wynn-bruce-fire-supreme-court-climate-change-rcna25837

I imagine he and Ashley Babbitt hooking up in heaven, if heaven were actually a thing.

• Longtimer
6 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I imagine he and Ashley Babbitt hooking up in heaven, if heaven were actually a thing.

Wouldn't that be something. 

• Longtimer

Some thoughts from my walk across beautiful Eugene, Oregon. 

https://andrewgjohnson.substack.com/p/the-bubble?s=w

• Longtimer
7 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Oh yes, I was not calling this work of beautiful art graffiti. We must say his name, this patron saint of social justice...

George Kirby will certainly never be forgotten

21 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

One of many examples...

Is it?  Because that's talking about officers leaving Seattle for incentives and references the last 2 years. Aren't we talking about right now?

And as the consent decree described, there were probably more than a few bad apples in the department so hopefully (although I have no idea) some of those people left for other departments, or better yet, retired.

4 hours ago, einsteinjr said:

Yep and I support these kinds of incentives.  But apparently Tim thinks money doesn't matter to police officers.

Seattle has to pay big time now... because they created a toxic environment for law enforcement and now they have decided that a police force is actually pretty important.    Go figure.

9 hours ago, einsteinjr said:

Is it?  Because that's talking about officers leaving Seattle for incentives and references the last 2 years. Aren't we talking about right now?

And as the consent decree described, there were probably more than a few bad apples in the department so hopefully (although I have no idea) some of those people left for other departments, or better yet, retired.

You seem to be one of the last people in Seattle who can't admit what a mess the city has become since George Floyd.  The new mayor seems to know the reality of the situation.  There is no defense for what has happened there.  

• Like 3

• Longtimer

Leading Congressional candidate in Oregon s new 6th district expressed an independent thought. Karen like meltdown ensued from his opponents... pass the popcorn please...

6310F9A9-0642-4C83-B136-B4E5D852FF24.png

22 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Seattle has to pay big time now... because they created a toxic environment for law enforcement and now they have decided that a police force is actually pretty important.    Go figure.

Unfortunately, until they get rid of that stupid police reform law, police agencies will struggle to bring people on.  Talking to my law enforcement contacts up here, its just not worth the risk any more.  There are crimes and calls that they typically would have addressed in the past, but are now much more reluctant to get involved with because of the risks to themselves.

• Sad 1

GDP down 1.4% in the 1st quarter. Not good considering high inflation.

The Fed will have to raise rates substantially to cap inflation, and doing so will probably spark a recession. In fact almost every inflationary outbreak has been followed by recession (which ends the inflation). Probably how this’ll go down as well. 

On 4/27/2022 at 10:38 PM, TT-SEA said:

You seem to be one of the last people in Seattle who can't admit what a mess the city has become since George Floyd.  The new mayor seems to know the reality of the situation.  There is no defense for what has happened there.  

I have already said it has gotten worse but it also has gotten better since the pandemic has subsided.

You seem to think that what happened after George Floyd was isolated only towards him.  Being profiled and treated differently because of what you look like is wrong.  There is no defense of what is happening.

But continue crying *strongly* about graffiti.  It's a look that suits you.

1365724496_image(1).thumb.png.1a7fd54677a04b17b73ae9d3529c0c4f.png

13 hours ago, Phil said:

GDP down 1.4% in the 1st quarter. Not good considering high inflation.

The Fed will have to raise rates substantially to cap inflation, and doing so will probably spark a recession. In fact almost every inflationary outbreak has been followed by recession (which ends the inflation). Probably how this’ll go down as well. 

Stagflation for now, and yeah probably leading to full blown recession: 

A forum for the end of the world.

• Longtimer

I have already said it has gotten worse but it also has gotten better since the pandemic has subsided.

You seem to think that what happened after George Floyd was isolated only towards him.  Being profiled and treated differently because of what you look like is wrong.  There is no defense of what is happening.

Not to suggest racial profiling isn’t an issue, although it was not an issue during the Floyd murder, but it’s always a good sign when an excerpt of an article is posted without a link.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, einsteinjr said:

Your mayor is very concerned about the graffiti as well.    And basically everyone I talk to in Seattle.    Its a huge issue... its absolutely demoralizing when a city looks like neglected war zone.    Its just common sense.  

18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Your mayor is very concerned about the graffiti as well.    And basically everyone I talk to in Seattle.    Its a huge issue... its absolutely demoralizing when a city looks like neglected war zone.    Its just common sense.  

I think that in and of itself is the problem. A lack of common sense among previous mayor Durkan, City Council, and Seattleites like Einstein. They decide to throw common sense out the wind because they'd rather focus on the emotions behind things rather than logically dealing with the issues. 

• Like 2

Weather station: https://sodakweather.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SoDakWx

I’m sorry to interrupt but this is so D**n stupid I have to post it.  

Musk's plans prompted Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., to warn that free speech values on social media now threatens Democracy itself.

Huh?  Wtf?   
Now the 1st Amendment is a threat to Democracy.  Can she not hear the s#1+ coming out of her mouth?!

• lol 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*