April 2022 (April 2008/2011 redux)

TacomaWaWx

6 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

66 here. SW wind is starting to crank up though. Can see the clouds moving in. 

Initial front looks pretty narrow on the satellite.      Should stay decently sunny for the rest of the day... maybe a good sunset.     

Currently 73 in North Bend.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

43 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Generally speaking... when CA and OR are wet it's drier than normal in western WA.   And when CA and OR are wet that usually translates into the Plains.   

That is the pattern we really need.   Similar to this past week.   

When OR is wet it's generally dry in western WA? That definitely is false. Even with northern CA that isn't true, most of their wettest periods tend to still be rainy and active up here. Particularly during spring/summer where precip anomalies are more tied in with longwave troughing and synoptic rainmakers tend to be fewer and further between anyways. The issue in recent springs and summers is that there has been incessant ridging and very little longwave troughing along the West Coast, which has left the entire region dry.

• Like 4

I have moved 8 cubic yards of dirt by hand this weekend.   Brutal!  

Took a break from all that life giving sun out there to grab a cold beer.  😀

• Like 2
  • Troll 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Initial front looks pretty narrow on the satellite.      Should stay decently sunny for the rest of the day... maybe a good sunset.     

Currently 73 in North Bend.

Today was pretty noice. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

When OR is wet it's generally dry in western WA? That definitely is false. Even with northern CA that isn't true, most of their wettest periods tend to still be rainy and active up here. Particularly during spring/summer where precip anomalies are more tied in with longwave troughing and synoptic rainmakers tend to be fewer and further between anyways. The issue in recent springs and summers is that there has been incessant ridging and very little longwave troughing along the West Coast, which has left the entire region dry.

When systems are focused to the south and its anomalously wet to the south (particularly from southern OR through CA)... its generally pretty nice up here.   Particularly in the EPSL.     Not totally dry... but its much better than when there is strong ridging to the south and all the moisture is focused in a fire hose on western WA.

• Troll 1

13 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

When systems are focused to the south and its anomalously wet to the south (particularly from southern OR through CA)... its generally pretty nice up here.   Particularly in the EPSL.     Not totally dry... but its much better than when there is strong ridging to the south and all the moisture is focused in a fire hose on western WA.

And that pattern is way less likely to occur starting around this point in the year. The baroclinic gradient relationship simply isn't the same in late spring and summer. When there is strong May-August ridging over CA it generally is never going to be firehosey in western WA. Sometimes I think you may be confusing King County's latitude with Juneau's.

Obviously you can benefit a little from ULLs dipping further south and shifting the best instability and precip dynamics a bit, but a warm season pattern like that (see 1993) is still going to produce opportunities for western WA to be wet.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am not really cheering for western ridging.   I am totally fine with wetter than normal to the south.    I just know after 20 years of living here that when its wet in CA and OR... its usually pretty nice here.   And when its anomalously wet here... its usually dry to the south.    

And then we have Phil virtue signaling about "life giving" rain.      Is that not all we discuss on here?  Who is he talking to?   I love the greenery here.   The rain is very life giving.   I wish nature would share the wealth.    But Phil wants to lecture us about how rain is good.   😀

Phil wants to get into your head. And 60% of the time it works every time.  

• Thanks 2
  • lol 1
  • Troll 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Back in Springfield. 73F and hazy. Pleasant out there.

• Sad 1
  • Sun 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I am not really cheering for western ridging.   I am totally fine with wetter than normal to the south.    I just know after 20 years of living here that when its wet in CA and OR... its usually pretty nice here.   And when its anomalously wet here... its usually dry to the south.    

And then we have Phil virtue signaling about "life giving" rain.      Is that not all we discuss on here?  Who is he talking to?   I love the greenery here.   The rain is very life giving.   I wish nature would share the wealth.    But Phil wants to lecture us about how rain is good.   😀

Fires are essential to long term forest growth too.

29 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Phil wants to get into your head. And 60% of the time it works every time.  

You guys really overthink this. As if I secretly want heat misers to be miserable 24/7 like some sadistic freak. 😄

Well, now that think about it…

• lol 2
  • scream 1

Euro and GFS head in two completely opposite directions for the beginning of May in the PNW. The GFS hooks up a strong ridge and brings in thunderstorm chances w/ highs in the 80s, the Euro keeps an active storm track going with highs well below average.

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

9 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Euro and GFS head in two completely opposite directions for the beginning of May in the PNW. The GFS hooks up a strong ridge and brings in thunderstorm chances w/ highs in the 80s, the Euro keeps an active storm track going with highs well below average.

The GFS is a national embarrassment. Ever since the last upgrade it’s had this tendency (mostly during the spring months) to trap & amplify ULLs in the NPAC.

It’s a state dependent bias arising mostly during p8-1-2 MJO transits with in-situ -PNA, but it’s so chronic it renders the model essentially useless after D4-5.

What’s the point of running the model to D16 if it’s going off the rails at D5? Waste of resources.

• Snow 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 2

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

You guys really overthink this. As if I secretly want heat misers to be miserable 24/7 like some sadistic freak. 😄

😎

What is ironic is that if I lived in your area then we would have the exact same preferences... the cool side of normal all warm season.      Here... I prefer normal or the warm side of normal.      We like the exact same weather in the warm season.    Yet we troll each other for 15 years on here.  😄

• lol 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

The GFS is a national embarrassment. Ever since the last upgrade it’s had this tendency (mostly during the spring months) to trap & amplify ULLs in the NPAC.

It’s a state dependent bias arising mostly during p8-1-2 MJO transits with in-situ -PNA, but it’s so chronic it renders the model essentially useless after D4-5.

What’s the point of running the model to D16 if it’s going off the rails at D5? Waste of resources.

That's why we must use the Kevin Martin or Richard Mann model.

Pollen is going mad today. I’ve had to wipe my phone screen several times in the last hour. I don’t even have allergies and I’m a bit congested.

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

2AFD7FC5-AC30-4B69-B243-7854BD41D5D3.jpeg

Look at it piling up in the corner of the balcony area… @TT-SEA I think the plants are going to be juuuust fine!

• Sick 1
  • Weenie 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

Pollen is going mad today. I’ve had to wipe my phone screen several times in the last hour. I don’t even have allergies and I’m a bit congested.

Yeah... it was pretty insane here too.   I laid out a tarp over my dirt on Friday and when I shook it off to fold it back up there was yellow dust flying everywhere.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Swamp said:

Planted some garden veggies today.  It will probably snow this week and rain for two more.

The great news is Phil will be right here to tell us all about it.

• lol 1
  • Troll 1

Just now, NWbyNW said:

Wildfire smoke?  Really?   Has anyone seen any.  It's been sunny and mostly clear other than some white puffy clouds up in the North Sound.  Article is from Portland's KATU. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 4.59.14 PM.png

It’s pretty thin smoke but I though there was a bit of haze out there. 66°F

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I don't think anyone is pulling for heat. Average temperatures and precipitation would be just fine. Let's start the growing season.🌺💐🌸

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

It’s pretty thin smoke but I though there was a bit of haze out there. 66°F

I thought it looked like there was a thin haze of smoke out there today.

3BBDD5A8-676B-49AD-8D8F-7811B57A6EB0.jpeg

14A6AB22-318F-4D06-82CE-EC60B563A973.png

Actually getting some light convective activity overhead in advance of the incoming front. Not going to get a lightning outbreak out of this, but the fact that these are showing up even during the most dull transitional setups shows that the warm season is nearly here.

• Like 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

49 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

😎

What is ironic is that if I lived in your area then we would have the exact same preferences... the cool side of normal all warm season.      Here... I prefer normal or the warm side of normal.      We like the exact same weather in the warm season.    Yet we troll each other for 15 years on here.  😄

😀

Unfortunately, due to summer wavelengths the +TNH type pattern that delivers JJA warmth to the PNW places my region in horrid SW flow. It bugs me that you root for that pattern all the time..lol.

I’d actually prefer hot/dry W/NW flow off the Plains than the oppressive soup that advects in from the south. 

• Weenie 1

30 minutes ago, The Swamp said:

Planted some garden veggies today.  It will probably snow this week and rain for two more.

The great news is Phil will be right here to tell us all about it.

We planted the entire garden today... and just now my wife made me put the sprinkler on for 15 minutes.   I told her there is not a totally dry day in sight but she still wanted to give the newly planted seeds a little water right away.  

20220424_161554.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I have moved 8 cubic yards of dirt by hand this weekend.   Brutal!  

Took a break from all that life giving sun out there to grab a cold beer.  😀

Do you work for Big Sun or something? Always pushing its agenda. 

Edited by FroYoBro
  • Like 1
  • lol 3

34 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

We planted the entire garden today... and just now my wife made me put the sprinkler on for 15 minutes.   I told her there is not a totally dry day in sight but she still wanted to give the newly planted seeds a little water right away.  

20220424_161554.jpg

Divorce her. Now.

• Popcorn 1
  • Sad 1
  • Storm 1
  • Rain 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

56 minutes ago, Phil said:

😀

Unfortunately, due to summer wavelengths the +TNH type pattern that delivers JJA warmth to the PNW places my region in horrid SW flow. It bugs me that you root for that pattern all the time..lol.

I’d actually prefer hot/dry W/NW flow off the Plains than the oppressive soup that advects in from the south. 

You either get the warm Gulf Stream or the cold Pacific current. There's no in-between. 

1 hour ago, NWbyNW said:

Wildfire smoke?  Really?   Has anyone seen any.  It's been sunny and mostly clear other than some white puffy clouds up in the North Sound.  Article is from Portland's KATU. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 4.59.14 PM.png

Definitely noticed some hazy skies the last few days. Looking forward to some more rain to clean things up 

71/36 day here 

• Excited 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes