April 2022 (April 2008/2011 redux)

TacomaWaWx

Nice to see that SEA picked up another 60-degree day in April.   Its possible that it will happen again tomorrow as well depending on the timing of the rain moving out and any afternoon clearing.

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like a -1 departure at PDX and SLE today. Eugene was right at normal. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I have to drive a U-Haul back from Bozeman May 16th-17th, I'm starting to get really worried about Homestake and Lookout Pass based on what Kayla is seeing.   We will be doing Homestake in the late afternoon when there is the most daytime heating so fingers crossed.  We will be hitting Lookout around 10am.  I'm hoping to get across Snoqualmie before sunset, so we should be good there.

Yeah you should be just fine over Homestake. Even if there is a massive snowstorm that day the roads will just be wet in the afternoons. Mornings could still be snow covered and slushy but it will easily melt off on the roads by 1-2pm. Gotta love those mid summer like sun angles!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

SEA actually picked up measurable rain this morning so the timing tonight is irrelevant now.   And tomorrow is a lock as well.

And I did not say it was a wet month.    It featured my least favorite way to get rain... a little bit on many days.    Hoping for a little more spacing in May.   

That’s how it’s supposed to work up there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

That’s how it’s supposed to work up there.

Ehhh... SEA averages 16 totally dry days in April and 20 dry days in May.   Climo says it does not rain every day.   Not even close.   In fact... Seattle and Portland average over 200 dry days per year.   So dry days are actually more common than rainy days.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Ehhh... SEA averages 16 totally dry days in April and 20 dry days in May.   Climo says it does not rain every day.   Not even close.   In fact... Seattle and Portland average over 200 dry days per year.   So dry days are actually more common than rainy days.

So it’s supposed to rain every other day in April, basically.

Just now, Phil said:

So it’s supposed to rain every other day in April, basically.

Yep... about right.     SEA will end up with 20 days with rain in April so well above normal.   And yet it was not a wet month in terms of total rain.   I prefer the opposite.   Lots of rain on a few days.   Sometimes it works like that... and sometimes it's the opposite like this month.    

2 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

It definitely has not been as consistently cool as 2011. This month should come in about 2F warmer than April 2011 down here at least. And March 2011 was much cooler than this past March. 

March 2011 was much cooler. KGEG didn't hit 60 until April 24th.

• Excited 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

North Bend averages more rainfall than Seattle also.

No kidding.   Wow... news flash there!   Even so... dry days are as common as rainy days here.    It does not rain every day per climo.  Not even close.

I was comparing SEA stats to the SEA averages.   We also had more days with rain than normal out here.   Hoping May is better.  😀  

• lol 1

22 hours ago, Kayla said:

Under a Winter Weather Advisory here for 4-10" of snowfall tonight into tomorrow morning. Currently raining heavily and 35 degrees.

In case anyone was keeping track, our grass is finally showing signs of life again and the daffodils have emerged from the ground! Everything seems to be running a couple of weeks behind schedule.

And the moisture gift keeps giving!

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.51.16 PM.png

This month has been a massive improvement compared to the last several months in regards to moisture!  I have measured a little over 2 in of precip this month with about 20 in of snow when all said and done. May and June are critical though because they are the 2 wettest months of the year.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Clancy MT DW9972 said:

This month has been a massive improvement compared to the last several months in regards to moisture!  I have measured a little over 2 in of precip this month with about 20 in of snow when all said and done. May and June are critical though because they are the 2 wettest months of the year.

And it's snowing again by August or September.   Can't you guys make it through your 4 weeks of no snow without burning up?  😀

Montana is strange.   It's not dormant for only about 12 weeks a year and yet all my memories of Montana involve smoke and fires because I have only been there in July and August during that short non-dormant period.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyler Mode said:

Will end April with 25 days of precip, 2nd only to 2017.

At least you had the impressive rain total to go along with the very high number of precip days.   

Seattle had 20 days with precip and will end up below normal for rainfall.    That feels like getting robbed!  

image.png

image.jpeg

Late May 2020 lite...

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

And it's snowing again by August or September.   Can't you guys make it through your 4 weeks of no snow without burning up?  😀

Montana is strange.   It's not dormant for only about 12 weeks a year and yet all my memories of Montana involve smoke and fires because I have only been there in July and August during that short non-dormant period.

It's not normal. Last few years have been especially bad right along with CA/OR/WA. In fact most of the smoke isn't coming locally but from areas to the west. 

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

13 minutes ago, Kayla said:

It's not normal. Last few years have been especially bad right along with CA/OR/WA. In fact most of the smoke isn't coming locally but from areas to the west. 

But you are more downwind from CA than we are out here.  So it might be somewhat normal.  Even eastern WA seems to have more smoke than we do.    The smoke from different sources blends together as it moves east.   

2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

To a certain extent sure, but you made it sound like the climate of Montana is on fire when things aren't dormant which is false. When in fact it's really the massive fires in CA/OR/WA that is causing most of the smoke. With that all said, fire/smoke is also part of living anywhere in the West and Montana is no exception.

In non drought years it can actually be quite lush, green and smoke free right on through summer because our wettest months of year are late Spring/early Summer and also plenty of Summer t-storms. Here's Late July through late August 2018 with no watering! Just matured wheat fields, green grass and snow covered mountains for days.

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 9.10.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 9.11.58 PM.png

Yes... it can beautiful for sure.    But that green period is really short there and often sullied by smoke even if its from distant sources like CA.    It would be frustrating to go from 9-10 months of snow to smoke and then back to snow.   Unless you really, really love snow.   And I think you do.  👍

33 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

image.png

image.jpeg

Late May 2020 lite...

I can still feel the buzz in the air that day. The advancing anvil, the hot, torrid, humid inflow. How fast things warmed as we went east. I'd love a repeat!

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

3 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I can still feel the buzz in the air that day. The advancing anvil, the hot, torrid, humid inflow. How fast things warmed as we went east. I'd love a repeat!

We ALSO had some great thunderstorms on 5/5 and 5/30. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes... it can beautiful for sure.    But that green period is really short there and often sullied by smoke even if its from distant sources like CA.    It would be frustrating to go from 9-10 months of snow to smoke and then back to snow.   Unless you really, really love snow.   And I think you do.  👍

I think you have the wrong perspective. Sure, it can snow 10 months of the year, heck we average snowfall 11 months of the year but things are now quickly turning green and by late May the landscape will all be lush and green. This lasts into the first part of October so almost 5 months of the year is green.

As for the smoke, in a normal year, we may see a little bit of smoke/fire in August/early Sept just like the rest of West but again this is a small price to pay living in the Northwest as I'm sure you'd agree!

• Like 6

Cold Season 2023/24:

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

We ALSO had some great thunderstorms on 5/5 and 5/30. 

During COVID lockdown too... nothing else to do!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I think you have the wrong perspective. Sure, it can snow 10 months of the year, heck we average snowfall 11 months of the year but things are now quickly turning green and by late May the landscape will all be lush and green. This lasts into the first part of October so almost 5 months of the year is green.

As for the smoke, in a normal year, we may see a little bit of smoke/fire in August/early Sept just like the rest of West but again this is a small price to pay living in the West as I'm sure you'd agree!

You can't really escape the smoke in the East either... its all downwind.    I remember bare trees there in the early June a couple years ago and also signficant snow in June.   That is my personal nightmare!    Reaching the apex of daylight with trees just starting to leaf out and snow falling.   I will put up with lots of rain to avoid that.   😀

• Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You can't really escape the smoke in the East either... its all downwind.    I remember bare trees there in the early June a couple years ago and also signficant snow in June.   That is my nightmare!    Reaching the apex of daylight with trees just starting to leaf out and snow falling.   I will put up with lots of rain to avoid that.   😀

Are you drunk

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 3

3 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

Are you drunk

😀

Nothing.  Haven't had a drink since Sunday on the deck in the sun.   My wife is at an event with my son at UW and my daughter is at a sleepover.... so that might explain my boredom.

Although... I see the rest of season 4 of Ozark just dropped!   

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You can't really escape the smoke in the East either... its all downwind.    I remember bare trees there in the early June a couple years ago and also signficant snow in June.   That is my nightmare!    Reaching the apex of daylight with trees just starting to leaf out and snow falling.   I will put up with lots of rain to avoid that.   😀

Yeah...it's true but even the immediate West Coast hasn't been spared these last few years. My sister in SF was choking on AQI above 500 for weeks in 2020 and I've never seen AQI's above 300 since moving here.

And yeah, I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to June snowfall but it hasn't been damaging fortunately. The worst tree damage that we've had since moving here is actually from the record breaking -10 degree weather in October of 2019 and 2020. We lost 8 deciduous trees from those very early season cold blasts.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Just now, Kayla said:

Yeah...it's true but even the immediate West Coast hasn't been spared these last few years. My sister in SF was choking on AQI above 500 for weeks in 2020 and I've never seen AQI's above 250 since moving here.

And yeah, I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to June snowfall but it hasn't been damaging fortunately. The worst tree damage that we've had since moving here is actually from the record breaking -10 degree weather in October of 2019 and 2020. We lost 8 deciduous trees from those very early season cold blasts.

The cold potential there into early summer and again in late summer and early fall really puts a damper on gardening.    Below zero weather in October is just crazy.   

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

3 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

I'm high AF and drunk, I think he is too

Actually I never do that.   But it seems lots of people on here do and that's cool.

• Snow 1