West Coast Sports Talk and Other Banter

Now a 16 seed has won 2 1 seeds bounced in the 1st weekend including the defending natty winner. The tallest team being beaten by the smallest team. A 13 over 4 upset and a 15 seed now into the sweet 16 for the 3rd straight season.

College basketball is a sport of parity.

• Excited 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Baseball season is starting and ESPN should never really publish their "simulation" ever again. 

Most of the 2023 predictions I've seen had the M's winning 92-93 games and the best team in the AL West to challenge the Astros. 

Yet, this joke of a published simulation ESPN put out had the M's winning 85 and in 4th place behind the Astros, Rangers, and Angels. lulwut?  The M's this year have closed the gaps on the Astros and are still the second best team in the West. Will challenge for that division title.

I bet this is the same simulation that had the Hawks winning 4 games last season. 

5 hours ago, Cloud said:

Baseball season is starting and ESPN should never really publish their "simulation" ever again. 

Most of the 2023 predictions I've seen had the M's winning 92-93 games and the best team in the AL West to challenge the Astros. 

Yet, this joke of a published simulation ESPN put out had the M's winning 85 and in 4th place behind the Astros, Rangers, and Angels. lulwut?  The M's this year have closed the gaps on the Astros and are still the second best team in the West. Will challenge for that division title.

I bet this is the same simulation that had the Hawks winning 4 games last season. 

Seems like when it comes to Baseball the National media really thinks Seattle is irrelevant and is up in Alaska somewhere and they don’t count. It’s quite odd. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The Mariners haven't scored a run since the 4th inning of Game 2 of the ALDS against the Astros last postseason. That's 31 innings of scoreless baseball including the 18 innings marathon to end the season + 8 more innings tonight. 

At least they smashed the baseball in the preseason. 🤣

26 minutes ago, Cloud said:

The Mariners haven't scored a run since the 4th inning of Game 2 of the ALDS against the Astros last postseason. That's 31 innings of scoreless baseball including the 18 innings marathon to end the season + 8 more innings tonight. 

At least they smashed the baseball in the preseason. 🤣

I was just doing the math on that before that homerun! 

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Small sample size for the regular season but the pitch timer really speeds up the game. 

all 30 teams played today, which meant 15 games. Of the 15, only 4 went past the 3 hour mark. Longest was 3h38m and the other ones barely broke 3h. Majority of the games were surprisingly around 2h30m. The M’s game itself was 2h14m.

The increase pace of play may be really good for this sport. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Hallmark has Christmas movies on Good Friday 

Does watching the one they filmed in Leavenworth give you the urge to move there? 

• Snow 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Does the other player have to DIE on the ice for it to be a 5 minute major penalty???? 

That was one of the dirtiest hits I’ve ever seen. Puck went out of play two seconds before he just blindside slammed him into the boards and they change it to a simple 2-minute minor penalty? Insane.

Go Kraken.

• Angry 1
  • Sick 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

11 hours ago, bainbridgekid said:

Does the other player have to DIE on the ice for it to be a 5 minute major penalty???? 

That was one of the dirtiest hits I’ve ever seen. Puck went out of play two seconds before he just blindside slammed him into the boards and they change it to a simple 2-minute minor penalty? Insane.

Go Kraken.

Yeah that was a massive dirty hit. 

20 hours ago, bainbridgekid said:

Go Kraken.

Reputation matters. Makar doesn't have a reputation as a dirty player (he's not, generally), so I think refs gave him the benefit of the doubt.

In an interview after the game, he said he wasn't aware play had stopped at the point he committed to the check, and after talking the refs seemed to agree on that.

EDIT: Looks like the NHL decided to suspend him for a game. That could be big for the Kraken's chances.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.