West Coast Sports Talk and Other Banter

13 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Reputation matters. Makar doesn't have a reputation as a dirty player (he's not, generally), so I think refs gave him the benefit of the doubt.

In an interview after the game, he said he wasn't aware play had stopped at the point he committed to the check, and after talking the refs seemed to agree on that.

EDIT: Looks like the NHL decided to suspend him for a game. That could be big for the Kraken's chances.

Perhaps he will be getting a round of golf in with Russ on his unexpected day off! 
image.gif

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

14 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Reputation matters. Makar doesn't have a reputation as a dirty player (he's not, generally), so I think refs gave him the benefit of the doubt.

In an interview after the game, he said he wasn't aware play had stopped at the point he committed to the check, and after talking the refs seemed to agree on that.

EDIT: Looks like the NHL decided to suspend him for a game. That could be big for the Kraken's chances.

Uhhhh… he can’t finish that check to begin with. Basic hockey 101. It’s the player’s sole responsibility to know where the puck is at all times and the puck was about 30 feet from McCann when he lined him up. It was so delayed from his separation from the puck that the that McCann would be essentially defenseless and entirely unsuspecting.

And assessing match penalties are not done based on reputation. Only supplemental discipline takes that into consideration. That was a text book intent to injure play, and I’m not a Kraken fan (GO KNIGHTS!). I was absolutely floored they overturned it. Inexplicable.

Edited by Deweydog

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

12 hours ago, Deweydog said:

Uhhhh… he can’t finish that check to begin with. Basic hockey 101. It’s the player’s sole responsibility to know where the puck is at all times and the puck was about 30 feet from McCann when he lined him up. It was so delayed from his separation from the puck that the that McCann would be essentially defenseless and entirely unsuspecting.

And assessing match penalties are not done based on reputation. Only supplemental discipline takes that into consideration. That was a text book intent to injure play, and I’m not a Kraken fan (GO KNIGHTS!). I was absolutely floored they overturned it. Inexplicable.

Refs are humans, too. Reputation absolutely matters when calling "dirty plays" in any sport.

A forum for the end of the world.

9 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Refs are humans, too. Reputation absolutely matters when calling "dirty plays" in any sport.

The human element was pretty minimal. Both refs either lost track of the puck or the hit was so ridiculously delayed that they switched themselves off believing he the play was well dead and over. They did the right thing initially and one of the linesmen clearly had a great real-time angle on the play. Only confusing thing at that point was how they could call it an interference major given the fact the play was dead. Seemed like roughing or boarding was far more appropriate.

Things went off the rails when they reviewed it and then downgraded it to a minor. It met every possible benchmark for a match penalty, including intent to injure which is not required for the assessment of a five minute major/game misconduct. Clearly the league acknowledges this now given that there has been supplemental discipline. 

3 hours ago, Deweydog said:

The human element was pretty minimal. Both refs either lost track of the puck or the hit was so ridiculously delayed that they switched themselves off believing he the play was well dead and over. They did the right thing initially and one of the linesmen clearly had a great real-time angle on the play. Only confusing thing at that point was how they could call it an interference major given the fact the play was dead. Seemed like roughing or boarding was far more appropriate.

Things went off the rails when they reviewed it and then downgraded it to a minor. It met every possible benchmark for a match penalty, including intent to injure which is not required for the assessment of a five minute major/game misconduct. Clearly the league acknowledges this now given that there has been supplemental discipline. 

Sure. But again, if a player has a history of making "intent to injure" plays, refs are aware of that and often more likely to make that initial call. Makar does not.

A forum for the end of the world.

36 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Sure. But again, if a player has a history of making "intent to injure" plays, refs are aware of that and often more likely to make that initial call. Makar does not.

They did make that initial call, appropriately. It was a no-brainer, and even the initial missing of it was at least kind of understandable and also something that made the incident that much more flagrant.

The walking it back to a two-minute minor is inexplicable and reputation is a complete non-factor at that point when it comes to the review process. Again, clearly the fact he was given supplemental discipline is a nod to the fact they screwed up. And at that point prior offenses absolutely matter. A known head-hunter would have received 3+ games for a hit like that.

13 hours ago, MossMan said:

Mariners are in big trouble…Not even a Grand Salami can save them anymore. 

They usually play well against the blue jays and they are heading there today.   Jays starters have been almost unhitable recently, though. Era under 1 over the last 8 or 9 games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-Town said:

Kinda hard to get excited about a cornerback but the secondary should be good. 

Yeah my thoughts exactly but I think John, Pete, and Jody felt that Carter was too much of a risk to go for him. This would have been a very different draft if we had the #3 pick…Stupid Texans converting that Hail Mary at the end of the last regular season game, and for the stupid Broncos for taking away Wilson’s 2nd story office and parking spot at the end of the season and making him play better. 😡

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

49 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Yeah my thoughts exactly but I think John, Pete, and Jody felt that Carter was too much of a risk to go for him. This would have been a very different draft if we had the #3 pick…Stupid Texans converting that Hail Mary at the end of the last regular season game, and for the stupid Broncos for taking away Wilson’s 2nd story office and parking spot at the end of the season and making him play better. 😡

Coulda been better but still pretty good deal. 

• Like 1

That was really close to an immaculate inning!

• Sad 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

On 4/26/2022 at 9:30 PM, MossMan said:

Hopefully he hangs onto the ball for too long for lots of sacks and also throws lots of interceptions during his cooking sessions. He’s also getting to that age where injuries will become a thing. He’s done. 

Wow I was pretty accurate! 

13 hours ago, T-Town said:

Bring back the Sonics!!

Crazy to think they are nearing their mid 50’s now…

10 hours ago, MossMan said:

Crazy to think they are nearing their mid 50’s now…

I guess since I’m older than them it doesn’t seem as weird. I do remember not liking it when my childhood sports heroes started to retire in the 80s. Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann are too old to play football?  What?

• Like 1

Radar is filling in and I just saw lightning to the east. It's happening tonight.

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

On 5/20/2023 at 1:48 AM, Meatyorologist said:

Radar is filling in and I just saw lightning to the east. It's happening tonight.

I believe the Tampa Bay Lightning have already been eliminated from the playoffs. 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 8:36 PM, Deweydog said:

The Lakers and Nuggets are NBA teams.

Fake news, the NBA died back in 2008. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...