West Coast Sports Talk and Other Banter

Terrible weekend for the Mariners. All three top power hitters hurt and three awful losses.

But today was big. Orioles and Rays lost and we won 9-1. 5 game lead with 16 to play with the tiebreaker against Baltimore so it's really a six game lead. We've got this.

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

2021-22: 17.75"

-12/24: 0.5"

-12/26: 8.5"

-12/27: 1.5"

-12/29-30: 4"

-1/2: 2"

-1/5: 0.5"

-2/22: 0.25"

-2/24: 0.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

2020-21: 14.5”

3 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Terrible weekend for the Mariners. All three top power hitters hurt and three awful losses.

But today was big. Orioles and Rays lost and we won 9-1. 5 game lead with 16 to play with the tiebreaker against Baltimore so it's really a six game lead. We've got this.

Today was a good day.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Kirk Cousins looks absolutely freaking atrocious. Holy . Rookie level. 

I have been texting with my family in MN.   I said it actually looks like he is trying to throwing interceptions.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

• Longtimer
31 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Really, their five best hitters at this point are damaged goods. Raleigh is definitely not 100% and France won’t be right until the off-season. That wrist problem has made him a dead pull-hitter and it doesn’t suit him well.

• Sad 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

Really, their five best hitters at this point are damaged goods. Raleigh is definitely not 100% and France won’t be right until the off-season. That wrist problem has made him a dead pull-hitter and it doesn’t suit him well.

Brutal.

• Longtimer
5 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Which will make the cinderella run this October all the sweeter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Terrible timing. Geno really hurts since he was just getting hot and Toro/Moore is a big downgrade offensively. We could move France to 3rd and have Santana start at 1st though. With a broken finger I think we will be lucky to get him back for the WC round. Haniger, Cal, and France all feel like injuries that could linger and continue to effect them as they play through them. Hopefully with a bit more rest Julio's back is full strength again.

Castillo, Ray, Kirby and Gilbert are as good as any playoff rotation in the game though and our bullpen can be lights out. Nobody wants to play us in the playoffs.

• Longtimer
8 hours ago, Deweydog said:

Looks like it might happen again in a week or so.☹️

It’s fantastic!!!!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

A view of the stadium in Oakland during the game... they love their baseball there!   And it sounds like a fair number of the 100 people there are Mariners fans.   😀  

20220920_185045.jpg

41 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

A view of the stadium in Oakland during the game... they love their baseball there!   And it sounds like a fair number of the 100 people there are Mariners fans.   😀  

20220920_185045.jpg

They’re actively trying to lose and move the team to Vegas. Fans have revolted in protest.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

5 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

They’re actively trying to lose and move the team to Vegas. Fans have revolted in protest.

I would like them to step up their effort in losing for the next 3 days.   They are trying too hard right now.   

• Like 1

Course Luis Castillo suddenly completely implodes with two outs in the 5th after dominating the first 4 2/3 innings. Pumping changeups in the middle of the plate is not a good plan when you throw 99.

Gotta get the bats going.

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

Course Luis Castillo suddenly completely implodes with two outs in the 5th after dominating the first 4 2/3 innings. Pumping changeups in the middle of the plate is not a good plan when you throw 99.

Gotta get the bats going.

Just terrible.  

Mariners getting one-hit through 7. Offense is in shambles right now with all the injuries. We’re really gonna limp into this thing.

At least Baltimore lost and Cleveland just took a 4-run lead in the 11th over the White Sox. Mariners should maintain a 5 and 5.5 game lead respectively over them despite the loss. It would still take an absolutely monumental collapse to miss the postseason with 15 games left but this is really frustrating to watch.

19 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

At least Baltimore lost and Cleveland just took a 4-run lead in the 11th over the White Sox. Mariners should maintain a 5 and 5.5 game lead respectively over them despite the loss. It would still take an absolutely monumental collapse to miss the postseason with 15 games left but this is really frustrating to watch.

White Sox game was 3-3 heading into extra innings and ended up 10-7 in just two innings!     This automatic runner on second thing messes with the purity of the game.

Just now, TT-SEA said:

White Sox game was 3-3 heading into extra innings and ended up 10-7 in just two innings!     This automatic runner on second thing messes with the purity of the game.

I actually like it. I’d wait for the 11th or 12th to use it though. Those marathon 15 inning games really mess with team’s bullpens and are tough to watch when nobody scores inning after inning.

Mariners still have a 99% chance of making the playoffs but it sure doesn’t feel like it.

Mariners are depressing right now.   This is not how late September baseball in a playoff race is supposed to look.   Just lifeless.

• Popcorn 1

• Longtimer

The Mariners have scored 1 run in 4 of the past 5 games. On the bright side, this is exactly how we looked before we went on that massive tear in June. Another thing, it seems like Luis Castillo pitches better against contending teams, with a packed house. He's made for the moment I think, and his last couple of blunder starts were against teams we certainly won't be facing in October. He's pitched his best games against Cleveland, Houston and New York. 

Our bats... I think Julio needs to drop down in the lineup. He is rarely hitting with runners on base, and with his power and speed, I think we'd be better off with him 2nd, maybe 3rd now with the latest injuries. He has A-rod/Griffey power, and those guys always were 2-4 hitters. 

• Longtimer
45 minutes ago, Brennan said:

NVM, Julio is out now too. JEEZ, and kirby with the 5 spot? WOW. What is happening. 

It’s over. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Mariners managed to score 9 runs and win.   Its a miracle.

They did something similar on Monday in Anaheim and then proceeded to lay an egg two games in a row in Oakland... so not convinced this slump is over yet.    They seem to do better in day games.   They are 2-5 on this road trip and the 2 wins have been during day games.  

Rays are playing the Blue Jays for the next 4 days.    Rays have a 3-1 lead currently.  

I guess we root for the Rays since we are 2 games back of the Blue Jays... but it gets messy.   Might have to hope for a split in the series so no team runs away with the top wild card spot.  

Orioles are going to catch the Mariners.   

And apparently Mariners can't hit at night.  This will be the 5th night game in the last week in which they scored 1 run.   They easily won the 2 day games.   

It would be more enjoyable if the Mariners were eliminated.   Watching them choke this away over such a long period just sucks.   But that appears to be what will happen.   They don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

• Longtimer

I am way more excited to watch the Sunday Night Football matchup over the Hawks/Falcons game. Go 9ers! (Can’t believe I just said that) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MossMan said:

I am way more excited to watch the Sunday Night Football matchup over the Hawks/Falcons game. Go 9ers! (Can’t believe I just said that) 

We will be on the boat tomorrow afternoon... might set DVR to record Seahawks game and will check it on my phone at times but its not worth missing an 80-degree summery day at the end of September.     And I will definitely be watching the Sunday night game and cheering hard for the 49ers.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MossMan said:

Football season is enjoyable regardless of how my favorite team is doing. Other sports, where my team is bad, or perhaps has been stolen by David Stern and Clay Bennet, I don’t pay much attention. 

• Like 1

Mariota looking good!!

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

• Coldest high: 35F (Dec 27, 2021)
  • Coldest low: 17F (Feb 23, 2022)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 36 (Most recent: Apr 17, 2022)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 5 (Most recent: Jan 17, 2022)
  • Total snowfall: 10.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 30.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @363jerseys4hope