The Weather Forums

Covid Forum 2.0

Andie

Let ‘er Rip Guys!!  Start your engines!

🥰

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Moar like 4.0

• Excited 1
  • lol 1

>1" snowfalls at KFAR in 2021-22: 11/11-12 (1.0"), 11/13 (1.8"), 12/2 (1.0"), 12/4-5 (4.8"), 12/21 (3.1"), 12/25 (3.2"), 12/26-27 (8.6"), 12/28 (2.9"), 1/4-5 (3.2"), 1/14 (2.7"), 1/22 (2.8"),

Total 2021-22 snowfall at KFAR: 51.7"                                                  Coldest Minimum: -28*F (1/1, 1/7)

Unfortunately, BA.2 has found my unvaccinated (and immunologically naive) stepmom. She’s having a rough go at it already, running a fever of 103-104 with joint pain and exhaustion. Can barely get out of bed at the moment.

• Sad 2

That’s rough.  Sorry to hear that Phil.   Hope all goes well soon.  
my cousin, a classical voice teacher, was exposed by a student this week.  There goes his Easter Concert.  Strictly by a thoughtless student that knew they could be carrying.  

My step daughter is a nurse and refused to get the vaccine.  She chewed me out this weekend over it.  
I mean what’s with this religious zealotry??   
She’s convinced the vaccine will kill those that got vaxxed. 🤔.
Zealots make me crazy. 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

7 hours ago, Andie said:

my cousin, a classical voice teacher, was exposed by a student this week.  There goes his Easter Concert.  Strictly by a thoughtless student that knew they could be carrying.  

My step daughter is a nurse and refused to get the vaccine.  She chewed me out this weekend over it.  
Zealots make me crazy. 

I don't think vaccines should be mandated or that people should need vaccine passports to enter a business or to be employed. CA wants to do this for the entire state.

I know a young person who had serious heart issues after the 2nd shot and another who was pregnant and lost the baby as a result of the vaccine.

Some liberals have religious fervor about people not getting vaccinated calling them ruthless people who are endangering other people's lives, but it has been shown the vaccines do not stop the spread of COVID. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Andie said:

Zealots make me crazy. 

Thanks. So far just a “very bad flu” according to her. Thankfully her lungs are fine so far, no breath shortness.

They don’t believe in human rights.  

• Sad 1

Check out the photos. Says it all.  
The oppression and terror tactics are stunning.   

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10718709/Video-shows-cops-pin-arrest-Shanghai-locals-resist-homes-isolation-hubs.html

D079D630-D51D-4E1B-AF09-CB34447C968A.jpeg

Stepmom is still bedridden, but hopefully on the mend. She doesn’t actually feel “sick” anymore, but has extreme lethargy, such that it’s a challenge just to walk to the bathroom and back. Really sucks to see.

Avoid this s**t if you can.

• Longtimer
10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Stepmom is still bedridden, but hopefully on the mend. She doesn’t actually feel “sick” anymore, but has extreme lethargy, such that it’s a challenge just to walk to the bathroom and back. Really sucks to see.

On the other hand I recovered pretty quickly and haven't felt this good physically in 4-5 years at least. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

52 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

On the other hand I recovered pretty quickly and haven't felt this good physically in 4-5 years at least. 

That's awesome you got off so easy.  I'm starting to wonder if I got it in January.  I had a couple of weeks where I felt kinda rough, but since then I have had a major problem with fatigue and some breathing issues.  I had a goal of doing the 52 hike challenge this year, but I can barely get off the couch.  My yard looks like crap, and many projects are being ignored because I don't have the energy.  I manage to get to the gym a few times a week but my workouts are a fraction of what I am used to doing.  I have a couple of risk factors but I also have an incredibly strong immune system.

That's the real b*tch about this illness, its a real crap shoot as to what you are going to end up with.  Sure, folks with risk factors are more likely to have a rough go of it, but I know some high risk folks who have had minimal or even no issues.

On the other hand, some perfectly healthy people have dropped dead from it or have had their life drastically altered.  Of course some don't feel a thing, and it seems like most people find it comparable to the flu or a bad cold. 

Compare that with the flu:  excluding folks with pre-existing conditions, you are going to feel like crap for a week or 2, I've heard of a couple of people ending up in the hospital for a day or 2 because the puke/crap themselves to the point of severe dehydration, but that's usually the worst of it.  Healthy people don't end up in a coma, dead or with long term health issues from the flu.

• Longtimer
1 minute ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

That's awesome you got off so easy.  I'm starting to wonder if I got it in January.  I had a couple of weeks where I felt kinda rough, but since then I have had a major problem with fatigue and some breathing issues.  I had a goal of doing the 52 hike challenge this year, but I can barely get off the couch.  My yard looks like crap, and many projects are being ignored because I don't have the energy.  I manage to get to the gym a few times a week but my workouts are a fraction of what I am used to doing.  I have a couple of risk factors but I also have an incredibly strong immune system.

That's the real b*tch about this illness, its a real crap shoot as to what you are going to end up with.  Sure, folks with risk factors are more likely to have a rough go of it, but I know some high risk folks who have had minimal or even no issues.

On the other hand, some perfectly healthy people have dropped dead from it or have had their life drastically altered.  Of course some don't feel a thing, and it seems like most people find it comparable to the flu or a bad cold. 

Compare that with the flu:  excluding folks with pre-existing conditions, you are going to feel like crap for a week or 2, I've heard of a couple of people ending up in the hospital for a day or 2 because the puke/crap themselves to the point of severe dehydration, but that's usually the worst of it.  Healthy people don't end up in a coma, dead or with long term health issues from the flu.

I have a friend who is suffering from long COVID. He lives in Japan and it sounds like he had a very difficult time finding a doctor who took his symptoms seriously. It does seem to be a bit of a roll of the dice. My wife had long COVID symptoms the first time she got it in 2020. She was 31 at the time, and had lingering effects for 4-5 months. I do not know if I had COVID or not then, my bout with it at the end of February was the first time I had ever tested positive. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I did too. But many others haven’t.

The idea of losing 1+million Americans to this virus was unthinkable when the pandemic began. Now it’s just a footnote.

On 4/15/2022 at 5:19 AM, Andie said:

Check out the photos. Says it all.  
The oppression and terror tactics are stunning.   

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10718709/Video-shows-cops-pin-arrest-Shanghai-locals-resist-homes-isolation-hubs.html

D079D630-D51D-4E1B-AF09-CB34447C968A.jpeg

I wonder if Lebron James still thinks China is a better place to live than the United States. 

• Like 1
  • lol 1

On 4/18/2022 at 1:55 PM, Phil said:

Sucks. I'm sorry your family has to deal with that.

Hope it's not long-covid.  I've heard it can be pretty bad.  

• Like 1

• Longtimer
Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, Phil said:

I did too. But many others haven’t.

The idea of losing 1+million Americans to this virus was unthinkable when the pandemic began. Now it’s just a footnote.

Idk, I thought it might be a lot worse. I was pretty freaked out when it hit.

I finally stopped stressing once I got vaccinated. Figured I had done all I could do. In a way when we found out the vaccine didn’t work, that made me relax even more, at that point what can we do? I probably wash my hands more than I used to. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew

On 4/18/2022 at 3:55 PM, Phil said:

Really sorry to hear this, Phil.  

Hoping things are improving.   Stay strong. 

17 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Idk, I thought it might be a lot worse. I was pretty freaked out when it hit.

I finally stopped stressing once I got vaccinated. Figured I had done all I could do. In a way when we found out the vaccine didn’t work, that made me relax even more, at that point what can we do? I probably wash my hands more than I used to. 

Come on man, the vaccines do work. Wasn’t intended to stop all infections. That’s impossible to do with this type of virus.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, einsteinjr said:

Sucks. I'm sorry your family has to deal with that.

Hope it's not long-covid.  I've heard it can be pretty bad.  

Thanks man. Verdict still out on that. Hoping for the best.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Come on man, the vaccines do work. Wasn’t intended to stop all infections. That’s impossible to do with this type of virus.

The countries that managed (for one reason or another) to contain the spread of covid until widespread vaccination have suffered FAR fewer casualties of the pandemic to this point, and there's nothing indicating that will change. That says a lot.

• scream 2

A forum for the end of the world.

• Longtimer

Didn’t they just reinstate the mask mandate like two weeks ago? 
It’s over…Again. 

553C2917-1591-402C-A245-0EBBD9C67BC5.jpeg

• Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:38 AM, MossMan said:

Didn’t they just reinstate the mask mandate like two weeks ago? 
It’s over…Again. 

553C2917-1591-402C-A245-0EBBD9C67BC5.jpeg

It lasted 3 days.

• lol 1

>1" snowfalls at KFAR in 2021-22: 11/11-12 (1.0"), 11/13 (1.8"), 12/2 (1.0"), 12/4-5 (4.8"), 12/21 (3.1"), 12/25 (3.2"), 12/26-27 (8.6"), 12/28 (2.9"), 1/4-5 (3.2"), 1/14 (2.7"), 1/22 (2.8"),

Total 2021-22 snowfall at KFAR: 51.7"                                                  Coldest Minimum: -28*F (1/1, 1/7)

Covid is definitely still circulating out there. One of my neighbors has it for the second time (first time was likely Delta last summer) and his girlfriend says it's been worse for him this time, bad fever.

In other news, China reported 51 new deaths today, which I believe is easily their highest toll since Feb 2020. Of course, it's China, so who really knows.

And Taiwan appears to be the new global hotspot.

tsi.jpg

9 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Covid is definitely still circulating out there. One of my neighbors has it for the second time (first time was likely Delta last summer) and his girlfriend says it's been worse for him this time, bad fever.

In other news, China reported 51 new deaths today, which I believe is easily their highest toll since Feb 2020. Of course, it's China, so who really knows.

tsi.jpg

Whoopee!

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

tsi.jpg

China has very strict lockdowns with a lot CRAMMED inside just to stop this, it's the perfect environment for a nasty outbreak. Flattening the curve is an absolute joke.

• Like 1

Never day Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

12 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

China has very strict lockdowns with a lot CRAMMED inside just to stop this, it's the perfect environment for a nasty outbreak. Flattening the curve is an absolute joke.

Yeah locking people in enclosed spaces isn’t a smart way to stop transmission. In some cases it could actually make things worse.

Fingers crossed, but it looks like my stepmom is finally on the mend, after being bedridden for almost 2 weeks. Finally able to get out of bed for hours at a time, and can even climb stairs now (though with considerable difficulty). Good news is she’s very fit for her age, so hopefully it’s a quick rebound.

Unfortunately my dad now has it. He’s triple vaccinated, was wearing a mask almost 24/7, and was thoroughly ventilating their house, and still couldn’t avoid it. Insane how contagious omicron is. Spreads through the air like smoke.

I’m hopeful he’ll have a less severe case due to his vaccination status. He’s still up and moving around, and doesn’t have a fever. But am a little concerned since it’s affecting his lungs more than her (she barely even had a cough).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Fingers crossed, but it looks like my stepmom is finally on the mend, after being bedridden for almost 2 weeks. Finally able to get out of bed for hours at a time, and can even climb stairs now (though with considerable difficulty). Good news is she’s very fit for her age, so hopefully it’s a quick rebound.

Unfortunately my dad now has it. He’s triple vaccinated, was wearing a mask almost 24/7, and was thoroughly ventilating their house, and still couldn’t avoid it. Insane how contagious omicron is. Spreads through the air like smoke.

I’m hopeful he’ll have a less severe case due to his vaccination status. He’s still up and moving around, and doesn’t have a fever. But am a little concerned since it’s affecting his lungs more than her (she barely even had a cough).

Glad your stepmom is doing better.

Did a little reading on the new BA.4 and BA.5 strains spreading in South Africa and elsewhere now. Sounds like they are not only the most infectious versions of COVID yet, but they've added one mutation that Delta had that affects the lungs more, and another that likely enhances immune evasion.

This thing is not done, unfortunately.

• lol 1

• Longtimer

Yay!! More fantastic news!! Let’s see what will kill us first…The COVID variety BA.123.867530nieine, or getting nuked! 

• Like 1
  • lol 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

Did a little reading on the new BA.4 and BA.5 strains spreading in South Africa and elsewhere now. Sounds like they are not only the most infectious versions of COVID yet, but they've added one mutation that Delta had that affects the lungs more, and another that likely enhances immune evasion.

Thanks man.

The new BA.2.12.1 also has the 2 delta mutations that gave intrinsic replication advantage and exacerbated fusion of lung cells. That’s the one that’s dominant here in the NE US now.

Somehow I’ve been able to avoid Omicron completely despite being directly exposed a quadrillion times. It’s a miracle.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:49 PM, Front Ranger said:

It will never be done. As I've been saying since it became obvious last year. Thankfully, the obnoxious responses seem to be mostly done in the western world, outside of obnoxious universities and cities like Philadelphia.

1 hour ago, IMoveALot_Weather said:

It will never be done. As I've been saying since it became obvious last year. Thankfully, the obnoxious responses seem to be mostly done in the western world, outside of obnoxious universities and cities like Philadelphia.

Well, I think the hope is that it stabilizes and becomes something no more dangerous to the population overall than the flu. Right now it's still evolving and adapting to human hosts, and we don't know what direction that will take.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2022/04/20/new-members-of-the-omicron-family-of-viruses-ba2121-ba4-and-ba5/

Based on observations thus far, I doubt that SARS-CoV-2 has reached the upper limits of its rate of spread in either vaccinated or unvaccinated populations. I think new variants may emerge with substantially increased virulence. We should remember that a closely related virus to SARS-CoV-2—MERS-CoV—kills roughly 50% of those it infects.

The story of the omicron family of variants is still emerging and one that the world is watching closely. It is unfortunate that at a time when surveillance of infection rates and strain identification is crucial, those efforts are declining rapidly worldwide. This strikes as a grave mistake, as surveillance is the best early warning signal for new and perhaps more dangerous variants.

• Excited 1
  • scream 1

• Longtimer
43 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Well, I think the hope is that it stabilizes and becomes something no more dangerous to the population overall than the flu. Right now it's still evolving and adapting to human hosts, and we don't know what direction that will take.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2022/04/20/new-members-of-the-omicron-family-of-viruses-ba2121-ba4-and-ba5/

Based on observations thus far, I doubt that SARS-CoV-2 has reached the upper limits of its rate of spread in either vaccinated or unvaccinated populations. I think new variants may emerge with substantially increased virulence. We should remember that a closely related virus to SARS-CoV-2—MERS-CoV—kills roughly 50% of those it infects.

The story of the omicron family of variants is still emerging and one that the world is watching closely. It is unfortunate that at a time when surveillance of infection rates and strain identification is crucial, those efforts are declining rapidly worldwide. This strikes as a grave mistake, as surveillance is the best early warning signal for new and perhaps more dangerous variants.

50% fatality rate. KOOL. Sounds Biblical. 

• Storm 1

5 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

50% fatality rate. KOOL. Sounds Biblical. 

Such a trash article lol

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

We should remember that a closely related virus to SARS-CoV-2—MERS-CoV—kills roughly 50% of those it infects.

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

I've read that guy regularly through the pandemic. Has always seemed pretty level-headed. He's also pretty renowned in his field: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Haseltine

Yeah, that quote kills the credibility for me. Seems like selling fear porn.

26 minutes ago, IMoveALot_Weather said:

Yeah, that quote kills the credibility for me. Seems like selling fear porn.

Well, he's not wrong. Although the likelihood of a covid strain evolving anything close to that rate of morbidity is low, I think his point was that it would be unwise to underestimate this still-evolving virus, especially when some of its closest relatives are quite virulent.

But aside from that, it's just one sentence near the end of his article. If he was a true fearmongerer, he would have led with something like that. 

• Weenie 2

• Longtimer

Usually I catch about two colds a year. Usually in May and in October. So far in 2022 I am already up to 3 and the kids have been constantly sick which was not the case before COVID and pretty much all of their school mates as well. Seems like these cold viruses are making up for lost time and it’s annoying. We have gone though sooo much tissue it’s crazy. 

My wife got a message today that the hospital up here has seen a sudden huge uptick in cases and hospitalizations, so they are going back to N95s for employees and going back to a "lockdown" protocol for the hospital.  Nothing from the local governments...

• scream 1