April 22nd-25th back to back storms with a potential blizzard, severe weather and drought relief.

Clinton

13 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Nope, still renting a townhouse. We've put 4 offers on 4 different houses ranging from 10-40k over asking and gotten beat on each one. Housing market is absolutely brutal for buyers right now. 

What areas of the country are you planning on buying?  Just in SD?

6 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

What the heck? Our landfill is on fire. 

You have to wonder if there are any intentional fires being set...you never know in this crazy world we live in.  Have you read how many food processing plants have mysterious been lit on fire or planes crashing into them??  Very weird and odd I'd have to say.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom said:

You have to wonder if there are any intentional fires being set...you never know in this crazy world we live in.  Have you read how many food processing plants have mysterious been lit on fire or planes crashing into them??  Very weird and odd I'd have to say.

I don’t think in this area, but their are wackos everywhere. Some people get the thrill in others pain. Way too many coincidences in those food plant fires. Those caught need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

I don’t think in this area, but their are wackos everywhere. Some people get the thrill in others pain. Way too many coincidences in those food plant fires. Those caught need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. 

Agree...x100

I took a little drive, and yes our landfill is on fire. It is about 1 1/2 miles south of town. Heavy smoke blowing from the south/southeast has shrouded the western half of town in smoke. We live on the eastern edge of town, no smoke or smell here. There are many fire trucks and heavy equipment. Don’t want this spreading into town. What a year, not in a good way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Nope, still renting a townhouse. We've put 4 offers on 4 different houses ranging from 10-40k over asking and gotten beat on each one. Housing market is absolutely brutal for buyers right now. 

That’s what my dad before he landed a home in FL. IIRC it took him over 6 months. 😬 Hope it’s a faster process for you.

3 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

So sorry to hear your trials.  
The market is brutal.  My concerns for you now to add to your burden are rate hikes on the horizon.  
We went through this during the 2007 pre-crash economy. We built. Took 7 months then.  With the supply chain issues it’s much harder.  
Stay strong and determined. You’ll get the right place. 👍

Meanwhile we have high winds 27-37 mph.  Storms mañana!

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

12z HRRR has my area with 2-4 inches of rain by Sunday

3 Waves of storms, 2 are Supercell waves & the 3rd wave is the Training effect, which is highly dependent on when the boundary stalls out.

• Like 2

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

Wind advisory for here was upgraded to a high wind warning for gusts to 65 mph. It looks like the airport has had a gust of 58 mph so far. Here in town, my station has measured a gust of "only" 39.4 mph. Days like this are why I wish I could have my anemometer mounted higher to get better measurements of the wind.

It's really dried out though with the dews falling into the mid 40s.

I'm thinking of chasing still, but over in western Iowa. The HRRR has pretty consistently shown a couple of helicity tracks later this afternoon and early evening.

• Windy 1

45 minutes ago, Jayhawker85 said:

The house has been rattling all night long and all day. Hopefully we can break up these clouds to get some sunshine to get some good storms going 

The sun has broke out here with a temp of 76.  Some watches are about to go out.

image.png.0da8a762c741bcc3e3fe3b0c73cd8e06.png

image.png.a7a5e1181ddc738b782fb8dadf4934b4.png

and another blizzard for the western Dakotas

image.png.2611edea9fc4c7c65d3988db4e8234d3.png

• Like 2

These fires make me recall the fire season Texas had 2007-8. Awful time.
You’re at the mercy of the wind and it’s nerve wracking. 
You pray for the wind to lay down.   

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Several counties in Eastern Kansas haven't had a tornado watch in 3 years.  That may be about to end in the next hour or so.

image.png.e454b73c14d210d0c9b01b50cc3fd248.png

SUMMARY...Convective initiation is anticipated in the next 1-2
   hours, with storms posing a threat for large hail and damaging
   winds. Watch possible.

DISCUSSION...Regional satellite shows cumulus development occurring
   beneath broken mid- to high-level clouds along a surface dryline,
   from near Wichita, KS, to west of the Emporia/Topeka, KS line.
   Surface observations show dew point temperatures in the upper 50s F
   within the warm sector, with temperatures in the low 80s F, yielding
   MLCAPE near 1000-1500 J/kg. The combination of strong low-level
   southerly flow with strong southwester mid-level flow is resulting
   substantial effective bulk shear (50-60 kt).

The current expectation is for convective initiation along the
   dryline to occur in the next 1-2 hours, as supported by
   high-resolution CAM guidance. Storms should exhibit supercell
   characteristics, with large hail and damaging winds the primary
   threats, though a tornado or two is possible as well. Should this
   evolution unfold, a watch will probably been needed for portions of
   eastern Kansas this evening.
  • Like 1

Picked up .80" of rain in well less than hour and temp went from around 75 to 59 as the line of storms in my area moved through.  A little residual rain still falling so could add a few more hundredths. Some small hail fell as well but nothing severe here.

• Like 3

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

Had one of my shortest chases today in southwest Iowa. 
Got what I could out of it I guess. Went east of Red Oak hoping something discrete would stay together. Instead everything formed into a line pretty quickly.

I was at the top of the line and a brief couplet formed causing a tornado warning to be issued and I was in the right position.

I let the storm overtake me on a hill on a gravel road and experienced some heavy rains and winds to probably 60 mph that shook the car for a couple minutes and that was it.

I debated chasing a line moving at 60 mph heading away from home for about 2 minutes and decided, nope! Headed home arriving back at the house by 7p.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Now fires in Northeast Nebraska. This is a nightmare for the state. 

I saw tonight on the news there was another fatality from the fires. The news didn’t have a lot of information other than it was from central Nebraska and there had been an earlier report of 3 firefighters injured 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

I saw tonight on the news there was another fatality from the fires. The news didn’t have a lot of information other than it was from central Nebraska and there had been an earlier report of 3 firefighters injured 

I hadn’t heard that. I’ll do some checking. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jcwxguy said:

used with permission, over MUSTANG, OK earlier   (or so i was told)

cool.jpg

That Tornado-Warned Supercell went right OVER Oklahoma City, it cleared me to the north. But then ANOTHER Supercell had hook at Norman & it was heading towards me, but like it always does, it occluded to the north at the last minute. Nothing fell until a 3rd Supercell arrived with a LOT of Rain and Lightning.

• Like 1
  • Storm 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted