April 27th- May 9th | Tornado Outbreak Sequence

Iceresistance

• Iceresistance changed the title to April 27th- May 5th(?) | Tornado Outbreak Sequence
6 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Haven't been following the weather as closely lately because we bought a house a few days ago (woohoo!) and things are moving 100 mph but looks like severe weather is popping up in some places.

Praying for those in the path of this devastating tornado in KS.

Congrats on the purchase!  Hope you settle in nicely to your new pad.

That tornado was fierce...very photogenic...

FRjkRvRXoAEKJNA?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tom said:

@CentralNebWeatherlooks like your area was smack dab in the defo band all night long and into this morning.  How much precip have you received so far?

Rained all night long. Looks like my gauge had 0.75” after midnight through 7 AM. Local media is saying 1.20” including the storm that hit at 5 pm yesterday. Awesome. Multiple large chances in the next week. Chipping away at this drought. Currently 44 with a chill of 30 and NW winds gusting over 40. 

• Like 7

Currently east of Hamilton, AL on I-22

I wished I was still in Oklahoma for the Supercell action, but oh well . . . I'll have the Diurnal convection today in Alabama

• Like 2

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

2 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Currently east of Hamilton, AL on I-22

I wished I was still in Oklahoma for the Supercell action, but oh well . . . I'll have the Diurnal convection today in Alabama

Currently North of Montgomery on I-65 Lots of Thunderstorms to the south and east of Montgomery.

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

A thin, but heavy line just moved through Cedar Rapids and dropped a quick 0.35" here.  I had to rush to mow the lawn before it got here and I just barely made it.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Just a wonderful soaking the past couple of days! My county was in a tornado warning last night as the squall line rolled through. I of course went out chasing and went too far west. I ended up being overtaken by the line and couldn't get back out in front. The shelf cloud was impressive but again I went too far west to watch it roll in! I received .90" on Thursday and 1.7" the past 48 hours so a total of 2.6. My lawn care business will be kicking into high gear as we roll into May! The gardening on the other hand will have to be delayed for a while.....

• Like 6

Tragedy last night for 3 chasers. My biggest worry chasing is all the driving, never the storms.

I was nearly killed 4 years ago next Memorial Day driving home from a chase. A jackknifed semi was blocking all lanes on I80 in the dark and rain. I came up on it driving 75 mph and only saw it when my headlights shined on the overturned trailer. I slammed on the brakes, turned hard right and somehow managed to parallel the semi as I headed straight for the ditch. I missed a pedestrian from a pulled over car walking on the side of the road by maybe a foot and managed to keep the car under control as well. The shock to my body of having a near death experience kept my chest sore for 3 days.

Rest in peace to the young students.

https://okcfox.com/news/local/three-ou-meteorology-students-die-in-car-crash-near-kansas-border

• Sad 8

13 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Tragedy last night for 3 chasers. My biggest worry chasing is all the driving, never the storms.

Ugh, they weren't even chasing at that point, just driving home, and hydroplaned into a freak accident.  🙁

• Sad 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

it’s tragic Omaha. Roads are so dangerous and seem to grow worse each year.  
My sister was killed on a wet highway by a drunk driver.  It’s terrifying and tragic.   
She was an oceanographer and we lost a fine scientist.  The other driver was a butcher by profession. Ironic.  
my life and my parents’ were changed forever.  Drive safe guys.  Please.  There’s enough danger out there waiting for us. 

• Sad 7

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

1 hour ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

I was nearly killed 4 years ago next Memorial Day driving home from a chase. A jackknifed semi was blocking all lanes on I80 in the dark and rain. I came up on it driving 75 mph and only saw it when my headlights shined on the overturned trailer. I slammed on the brakes, turned hard right and somehow managed to parallel the semi as I headed straight for the ditch. I missed a pedestrian from a pulled over car walking on the side of the road by maybe a foot and managed to keep the car under control as well. The shock to my body of having a near death experience kept my chest sore for 3 days.

Rest in peace to the young students.

https://okcfox.com/news/local/three-ou-meteorology-students-die-in-car-crash-near-kansas-border

D**n. That's one of the saddest things I've heard in sometime.

RIP.

• Sad 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

We had a high of 85* today.  
Ditto Sunday and Monday with a high chance of storms Monday.  
We need the rain 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

I'll be chasing again tomorrow down in southern Kansas. Looks to be another nice warm front/dry line set up as long as morning storms clear out soon enough. Here's the 12Z HRRR helicity tracks for tomorrow afternoon and evening.

I went through some of my dashcam footage from Friday's chase. I saw the tornado in southern Nebraska from a distance (unfortunately due to waiting for a pilot car in a one lane construction zone for 20 minutes), drove through some pretty crazy dust storms, and lastly ended up with some cool lightning. I'll put together an edited video sometime this week.

uh25_max.us_state_ks.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

I won't be able to see it myself, as I'm currently near Phenix City, AL

North Texas should see an uptick in rain later this evening through the night.  Thunderstorms expected but so far nothing more than that.  
High of 86* should fire these off.  

Edit:   Just read they’re calling for potential 2” hail.   Please, no.  Just got a new roof.  

• Like 1

I love videos and pictures, but please PLEASE come back safe with them.

That incident (chasers in KS) and a major accident here (non-weather) with youth in my county say enough about the importance of valuing life and safety and awareness first. It's just a massive loss, to say the least. Same when a community is devastated.

• Like 6

Storms firing up in west Tx.   
Should arrive between midnight and one so prepared to be bounced out of bed.  
Looks like they could get pretty strong.  

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Local forecast looks like 1.0-1.5” from late tonight through late Monday night. No severe weather, just a steady rain with temps of 43 and winds gusting up to 40 mph. Raw day, but no complaints about more moisture. Another good chance late Tuesday night through most of Thursday according to the Euro. 

So glad the pattern seems to have changed for most of us that live in Nebraska... it's nice seeing things starting to green up a bit more around here after the recent rain. 

• Like 4

Thundered and rained all night. No sleep.  🥹  No rain totals yet   

What is the deal with all these night time storms??   Seems we get more now than in the past.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Just got home from school. My gauge says 1.65” as of 3:55 pm. Nice. 

The area farmers must be pretty happy.

• Like 2