May 2022 Observations & Discussions

Iceresistance

21 hours ago, westMJim said:

Light rain is still falling here and the current temperature is stuck at 51. Officially at GRR there is light rain falling and they are reporting a temp of 49. You do not have to go very far to the north to find clear skies as it is clear at Big Rapids and north. It also warmer to the north today and at Ironwood it is even in the low 60's with clear s sky.

Spoke to a colleague yesterday and he said it was a miserable Friday with rain falling through midday and a gusty NE wind off the cold lake waters.  He lives a little closer to the influence of the lake and was stuck in the 40's all day.  Ughh, that kinda wx would drive me nuts!  I'm sure millions of Chicagoans and the like are going to enjoy the beautiful sunny wx dialing up for this weekend and through late next week!  Summer time in the Chi....is in the works...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westMJim said:

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 60/44. I live just NW of Grand Rapids and I was on the NW edge of the rain fall yesterday and I recorded 0.09" of rain while the airport had 0.17" of rain while areas to the south received more such as Kalamazoo were 0.60" fell. There will be a chance of some frost on Sunday morning but then it looks to be the start of the 2022 growing season.

We are in the 2022 growing season. Well let’s  hope we are done with killing frost for this year different areas have much different planting times. In Michigan we have cold winters and sometimes late springs, depending on which part of the state you live in. Timing for warm-season, cool-season, and tender crops in a Michigan varies greatly and relies heavily on soil temperature and frost dates.

For the start of the growing season we have to know what date on average do you have the last 32° reading. Here is a list of some of the last 32 days in our area with the average date, the earliest date and the latest date.  Grand Rapids May 1st April 6, 1925, latest June 4th 1945. Lansing average May 11th April 8, 1886, July 15, 1863. Since 1900 the dates are May 8, April 12, 1952 and June 11, 1972. At Muskegon the average in May 4th the earliest is April 9, 1987 and the latest is June 22, 1992. At Holland the dates are May 6th April 13,1916 and June 11, 1972. At Kalamazoo the dates are May 3rd April 8,1896 and May 27, 1993. So for the most part we are now past the average last 32 date and way past the earliest. 

Not all vegetable crops require the same season or temperatures to grow. Warm-season crops are those that grow best during the warmer parts of the season. These include sweet corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, and melons. All of these are tender crops that are susceptible to frost damage or even death by frost.

Cool-season vegetables, on the other hand, prefer the cooler temperatures of fall and spring. Many are frost-tolerant, some to temperatures as low as 20. Onions, peas, spinach, leafy lettuces are all cool-season vegetables.

Many cool-season vegetables can handle planting times as early as the soil thaws and is workable, usually late March through early April in southern Michigan and three weeks later in the most northern parts. Tender, warm-season crops, however, require much warmer soil temperatures and must wait until the danger of frost has passed. Planting on Memorial Day is a good rule of thumb, but frost dangers occur frequently throughout much of Michigan in spring. If you plant around mid to late May, keep an eye on the weather forecast and cover your seedlings or transplants. If there is a low below 40 in the forecast or a frost advisory is issued.

Checking the soil temperature helps ensure your ground is ready for various types of seeds. Different crops grow best at different soil temperatures. Tomatoes and corn need a soil temperature of 55 or better. Cold-tolerant crops will germinate and grow at a soil temperature of around 45 degrees.

We will have a rapid leaf growth in the next week and by next weekend we should have most trees fully leaf out. The rest of the month we will have to keep a eye on any nights that are clear and cool

Thanks for the detailed info!  Hopefully the region is done with any cold nights this season.  It'll be nice to see a full leaf out by the time next weekend rolls around.

Well, as was the case several other times this season, Sky Harbor missed the century mark by 1 degree yesterday (99F).  We will try one more time today and then will have to prob wait till next weekend when a much stronger SW ridge builds into the region.  A significant "cool" down is heading for the valley early next week with temps in the 80's.  It's funny saying "cool" when those kinda temps are summer-like.  Last night, I ventured out to Scottsdale with an old friend of mine to celebrate his 40th B Day.  It was a gorgeous evening and the city was busy with all sorts of people out 'n about. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

The latest drought monitor shows much more rain is needed in Nebraska, Kansas, and Texas.  The 10 day from the CPC shows more help coming for Nebraska but conditions will worsen for Texas.

0d40d5_acafbde74ad1450693ada368d753eacc~mv2.webp

0d40d5_1e1aa50a9aaa440da16d5767414874a7~mv2.webp

0d40d5_adedc97082b44c89aefaaaf860ce56fa~mv2.webp

Heat Advisories are in place for Texas, the Cockroach Death Ridge is starting to develop in the Southern Plains . . . 

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

58 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Heat Advisories are in place for Texas, the Cockroach Death Ridge is starting to develop in the Southern Plains . . . 

Sadly, it’s time for the pressure cooker to start to rattle down here.   We’ve had quite a time down here from the killer cold a couple yrs ago to heat.  
Our power people are sending warnings about brown outs and power outages.   Wtf is wrong with these people. ANY moron knows population has exploded so yeah, power demand will be up. Duh.  

Currently overcast.  70*
High of 94* today.  
Humidity 60%.  

Yeah.  Moving into summer pretty quick.  

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

2 minutes ago, Andie said:

Sadly, it’s time for the pressure cooker to start to rattle down here.   We’ve had quite a time down here from the killer cold a couple yrs ago to heat.  
Our power people are sending warnings about brown outs and power outages.   Wtf is wrong with these people. ANY moron knows population has exploded so yeah, power demand will be up. Duh.  

Currently overcast.  70*
High of 94* today.  
Humidity 60%.  

I think eventually NWArk will be the same way. They outbuild and outgreed common sense and fudge standards that have a purpose of order and "boom". I pray you don't have to deal with the issues.

Going to be hot fast. Best be ready and enjoy the summer if we can.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andie said:

Currently overcast.  70*
High of 94* today.  
Humidity 60%.  

The Weather Channel on Facebook was like "heat that shouldn't happen until AUGUST is coming". 

• scream 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

1 hour ago, Timmy Supercell said:

The Weather Channel on Facebook was like "heat that shouldn't happen until AUGUST is coming". 

OMG Timmy. We don’t need that.   
when it was 35* inside my house I could wear more clothes and kick on the gas fireplace.   
But you can just get so naked and take cold showers.   People, elderly and sick, will die.   
My husband and I are technically senior citizens and on blood pressure meds.  It could kill us.  

• Storm 1
  • scream 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Can't beat this weather tonight up in the TC. Upper 60s and partly cloudy with a light breeze. Late dinner tonight. Out on the patio with sirloins, sweetcorn and veggies over the charcoals. And a cold one. The neighborhood was lit up today with people out walking their dogs and enjoying the great weather. Well deserving after the long stretch of miserable weather. 

• Like 4

We don’t want to be unrealistic.  But May shouldn’t hit 100* here, not yet.  
Im concerned the vast increase in population will strain things to the breaking point.  
We’re adapted to heat to a point, then all bets are off.  I’m thinking of buying a solar powered fan. Extra battery and use one, charge one. I have Solar lights. In-line Gas grill. 
Geez, I hate our power company.  

• Like 1

We finally did it and hit 102F at PHX yesterday...I have to say, it did feel noticeably Hotter yesterday, esp around 11:00am when I went out to the pool and it was already in the mid/upper 80's.  It'll be a wonderful Mother's Day out here and for most of our Sub today.  Happy Mother's Day to all of those wonderful Mom's out there!

• Like 7

Happy Mothers Day.
Grand Rapids official H/L yesterday was 65/43. There was 100% of sunshine for a change.  That was a departure of -2 for the day and should be the last below average day for a while. The overnight low at GRR was 36 the overnight low here in MBY was 38. At the current time it is clear and 55 here at my house. For the 1st week of May it has been cloudy, cool and rather wet. That looks to change in the next week. We are still behind in the spring growth department but that also will change in the next week with a lot of very warm temperatures and sun. As for temperatures there is a chance of a record high or near record high. The best chance will be on Thursday and Friday. At Grand Rapids the record high for Thursday and Friday is currently 86. The best chance at Muskegon will be on Friday with the current record of 83. At Lansing the records look safe for the most part as the records are 90 or better with a 88 on Thursday being the lowest. 

• Like 1

The 500mb pattern during the Week of the 15th is starting to align towards the idea I had in mind of a NW Flow pattern aloft.  Could this spark a "Ring of Fire" pattern?  Blazing early season Heat will likely build in the West/SW as Summer ignites into high gear I'm afraid.

0z Euro...

image.png

5-day temps are trending cooler the following week after a nice long stretch of Summer...a bit more seasonal generally speaking.  I think most of us north of I-80 have avg highs near 70F by this time.

1.png

0z GEFS...

gfs-ens_T2maMean_us_9.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, westMJim said:

Happy Mothers Day.
Grand Rapids official H/L yesterday was 65/43. There was 100% of sunshine for a change.  That was a departure of -2 for the day and should be the last below average day for a while. The overnight low at GRR was 36 the overnight low here in MBY was 38. At the current time it is clear and 55 here at my house. For the 1st week of May it has been cloudy, cool and rather wet. That looks to change in the next week. We are still behind in the spring growth department but that also will change in the next week with a lot of very warm temperatures and sun. As for temperatures there is a chance of a record high or near record high. The best chance will be on Thursday and Friday. At Grand Rapids the record high for Thursday and Friday is currently 86. The best chance at Muskegon will be on Friday with the current record of 83. At Lansing the records look safe for the most part as the records are 90 or better with a 88 on Thursday being the lowest. 

I read an interesting stat regarding the 100% sunshine recorded yesterday at ORD...it's only the 3rd full sunny day in Chicago all Spring!  This coming week should help those sunshine stats.

What a gorgeous spring day, FINALLY! It feels more like 6 months, but it's the first totally sunny day in 6 weeks and only the 3rd so far this Climatological Spring, joining 3/12, and 3/26. #ilwx #SpringVibes #sunshine

It's a mild and windy start to Mother's Day.  Clouds are expected to move in shortly with maybe a sprinkle but highs here are still expected to reach the upper 70s.  The slow moving bowling ball type storm will be welcome next weekend after this weeks heat and wind.

• Like 2

No 90's yet, but its coming sooner or later. I already had a day very close to 90 last month.

2022-05-08 10_47_44-Window.png

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Hello y'all. I am back in Michigan. I arrived late last night. The weather in NYC yesterday and the day before was awful. Temps remained in the 40s w rainy and windy conditions. Extremely raw. Not sure, but when I saw the radar, it almost looked like a nor'easter was occurring. Had it been 2 months earlier, this could have been a huge snowstorm. What a difference w the weather here in Detroit. Beautiful sunny skies w temps in the 70s.

Happy Mothers Day!

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

HAPPY BIRTHING PERSON DAY !!!
😆

The Texas State Authority is now sending out warnings. Never happened before and our high will only be 95* !!
Now this isn’t, and never has been, a big deal in Texas.  But I still believe the population explosion from Californians moving here is going to endanger many elderly. It’s only May 8th!
  Heat indexes will be higher.  
😠

_________

“ERCOT is anticipating extreme hot weather in the region from Friday, May 6th through Monday, May 9th and may experience larger than normal demand for power. On May 3rd, ERCOT issued an Advance Action Notice (AAN) due to a possible future reserve capacity deficiency beginning Friday May 6, 2022 through Saturday May 7, 2022.
At this time, ERCOT projects there will be sufficient generation to meet this high demand for electricity.”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Timmy Supercell said:

No 90's yet, but its coming sooner or later. I already had a day very close to 90 last month.

2022-05-08 10_47_44-Window.png

At least we haven’t experienced humidity yet. That’s gonna change very quickly as we go through the month, though.

Get ready to experience 70+ dewpoints and 85-95 degrees every single afternoon (hotter during heatwaves). It’s a completely different feeling than the heat out west. You’ll be dripping sweat just walking to and from the mailbox. 😓

• Like 2

Up in the TC. Looking forward to tomorrow. Low 80s with severe storm potential. Today wasn't bad. Had a light shower in the morning but dry after that with mostly cloudy skies but temps hit the low 60s. Upper 50s was the forecast and I was expecting a more rainy type of day but it was mostly dry. Hope you all had a great Mother's Day🥂

Yesterdays official H/L at Grand Rapids was 67/36, and that was still -4 below average for the date. The start of the day was sunny but clouds moved in later afternoon and it became mostly cloudy. So far the 1st 8 days at Grand Rapids have all been below average. It is now time to set back and enjoy a nice warm week. It still looks like we will get warm to very warm this week. But don't get too conformable with the warm temperatures as there are hints of a cool down to once again below average temperatures later in the month. At the current time it is sunny and 51 here at my house.

Starting the day at 75.  Heading for 95.  
Dewpoint is 70. Humidity at 46%

It’s acting a lot like June.  😎

• Sun 1

Happy Monday!  It's a wonderful start to the new work week.  How about some Monday night boomers for IA/WI???  Chitown Tue evening rumbles of thunder?   My gut feeling was as we got closer in time the CAM's would start to pick up on this scenario.  I hope it happens.

image.gif

WRF picking up on a potential bumpy ride Tue evening...

image.gif

• Storm 1

78.3 with a dew point of 70.7 IMBY. My favorite mornings of the entire year are mornings just like this. Warm, breezy, you can feel the dampness in the air, and smell the moisture. The birds are chirping and you can hear the mowers running. Of course, this usually proceeds hot and miserable later in the day, but I still love it.

• Like 3

Absolutely gorgeous outside. Sunny and 70F. Cannot ask for anything better.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Very well could set the record high today which is 90.

A Few Clouds and Breezy

89°F

32°C

Humidity 55%
Wind Speed S 23 G 32 mph
Barometer 29.60 in (1001.8 mb)
Dewpoint 70°F (21°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 95°F (35°C)
Last update 9 May 1:56 pm CDT
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Very well could set the record high today which is 90.

A Few Clouds and Breezy

89°F

32°C

Humidity 55%
Wind Speed S 23 G 32 mph
Barometer 29.60 in (1001.8 mb)
Dewpoint 70°F (21°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 95°F (35°C)
Last update 9 May 1:56 pm CDT

Whoa.  Hate the 70 degree dews.  We are at 78, but a dew of 44.  Actually very nice here.

• Like 2