May 2022 Observations & Discussions

Iceresistance

We’re helping with that to some degree.  

94*. 
Wind 22-32 mph.  More than 32 to be honest.
Roaring out there.  Straight out of the South.  
Really unpleasant day. 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

We’re still sitting at a warm 85*.  
Very windy for this time at night.  It usually lays down some.  
Currently 18-30 mph.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 78/45. There 100% of possible sunshine. The overnight low here in MBY was a warm 65. The forecasted high today is 83. If it makes it to that 83 or better it would be a top 10 warmest for this date. The record for today is 89 so that looks safe. The overnight low here in MBY was 65. At the current time it is 67 here in MBY with cloudy skies.

• Like 3

Models, for days, advertised a line of storms sagging southeast through my area last night, but nothing came anywhere near us.  Yesterday, the HRRR trended toward nothing so it performed the best.

• Sad 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

14 hours ago, Andie said:

We’re helping with that to some degree.  

94*. 
Wind 22-32 mph.  More than 32 to be honest.
Roaring out there.  Straight out of the South.  
Really unpleasant day. 

It's going to be worst with the Heatwave, Altus, OK reached 107°F Yesterday compared to 94°F in OKC

• Like 1
  • Sun 1
  • scream 2

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

That’s just crazy and too darn early.  

Somebody please tell me this summer won’t be a nightmare down here! 

25 minutes ago, Andie said:

That’s just crazy and too darn early.  

Somebody please tell me this summer won’t be a nightmare down here! 

I'm afraid to say that the Summer Nightmare is only getting started :(

431005263_Thisisbad..Reallybad.thumb.png.e7fca0c19774bf3d7aa2a7aa669c55ba.png

This is really really bad . . . 

• Sad 1
  • Sun 1

It's good to be back home and be welcomed by this warm and humid air!  Gosh, I def got dried out in the desert over the past few weeks!  I flew back late last night and was able to witness the line of active storms that formed out in IA.  I had a window seat and a perfect view  of the gorgeous lightning show mother nature was producing.  It has been years since I've seen thunderstorms at 35,000 ft, but especially, witnessing it at night it is a different animal.  It was certainly something I'll always remember.

Heading up to near 90F and quite humid today.  Boy, what a difference in airmass as I get back into the swing of things.  Looks like I'll be turning on the A/C here for the 1st time this season.  I miss the smells of Summer.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

I'm afraid to say that the Summer Nightmare is only getting started :(

431005263_Thisisbad..Reallybad.thumb.png.e7fca0c19774bf3d7aa2a7aa669c55ba.png

This is really really bad . . . 

When I left for Chicago yesterday I saw the 10 day forecast and the local mets in PHX are already showing a few days around 105F next weekend!  That is WAY to early and I'm glad to be here where it'll be MUCH more enjoyable.  Not to mention, my sister's daughter has her communion this weekend and the wx looks to be cooperating.  I'm just surprised to see that the trees are just beginning to bloom.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

That is WAY to early and I'm glad to be here where it'll be MUCH more enjoyable.  Not to mention, my sister's daughter has her communion this weekend and the wx looks to be cooperating.  I'm just surprised to see that the trees are just beginning to bloom.  

While it is not the case to the south and southwest. Here in the Great Lakes area it is hit and miss for a warm May leading into a warm/hot summer. Ad for the trees I was taking to a person who flew into Grand Rapids from Minneapolis  this past weekend and they said GRR is way ahead of Minneapolis. What is odd is that we are well behind where we should be for this time of the year. We will advance rapidly in the next few days. Note that there was still some snow is places in Houghton area just this last week.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Are you guys getting email notifications?  Mine have stopped coming in today for some reason...just checking to see if its just me or the site.

I don't follow the forum.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

When I left for Chicago yesterday I saw the 10 day forecast and the local mets in PHX are already showing a few days around 105F next weekend!  That is WAY to early and I'm glad to be here where it'll be MUCH more enjoyable.  Not to mention, my sister's daughter has her communion this weekend and the wx looks to be cooperating.  I'm just surprised to see that the trees are just beginning to bloom.  

I think that 4-corners/plains ridge is going to be a beast this summer. All the warning signs are there. 😒

• Sun 1

It's a hot one today.  Thankfully, some clouds have helped.  We are up to the upper 80s with 73 dew.  The wind is much lighter than yesterday, too.

Unfortunately, we missed rain last night and both the Euro and GFS predict very little rain over the next week+.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

It’s settling down some.  

High of 92*

Wind SSE. (unusual for us)

17-26 mph. 

Allergens climbing. Moderately high.  
Grass, trees. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom said:

Here too. Not sure why, but some trees are taking their sweet old time to blossom, even w temps in the 70s. Its weird to see bare trees in May.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

We’ll, we’re still seeing winds at 12-24 mph at 9:15.  
Humidity 55%

But winds are out of the SSE still.  
That often indicates rain for us, but no rain in the forecast for a week.  

Just now, Andie said:

We’ll, we’re still seeing winds at 12-24 mph at 9:15.  
Humidity 55%

But winds are out of the SSE still.  
That often indicates rain for us, but no rain in the forecast for a week.  

Just took a look at the Mesoanalysis, and you would never believe on what I say until you see the CAPE levels on College of DuPage!

59 minutes ago, Niko said:

Here too. Not sure why, but some trees are taking their sweet old time to blossom, even w temps in the 70s. Its weird to see bare trees in May.

Seems everyone is heating up early.   
There has to be something causing an early continental heating.  

• Popcorn 1

16 minutes ago, Andie said:

Seems everyone is heating up early.   
There has to be something causing an early continental heating.  

La Nina conditions, -PDO, Very positive SOI, and preexisting drought conditions are doing this.

This is the 4 horsemen of the Southern Plains Summer Apocalypse . . . :(

• Like 2

Once we get past this very warm few days, it appears we won't be seeing these type of temps for a little bit according to the latest data around the MW/GL's region.  Maybe a day or two but I don't see any signs of a longer stretch of real Heat.  ORD topped out officially at 89F, but according to their wx station it did hit 90F for a few minutes around 4:15pm.

FSbZFHoXwAAE9cl?format=jpg&name=large

Meantime, MDW did in fact log their 1st 90F day of the season and set a record of 92F!

FSbp8lnWYAAiVvk?format=jpg&name=medium

An active period setting up shop up and over the periphery of the southern plains ridge later early next week for pretty much every one on here.

• Like 2

A bit more seasonal today.

74 currently. High of 92 today.  
Windy 10- 24 mph.  
Dew at 65
Allergy index pretty high! 

West Tx/Ok will be expecting strong storms. Hope they get the rain they need so bad.  

• Like 1

Yesterday official H/L at Grand Rapids of 84/61 was both the 5th warmest maximum and the 5 warmest minimum. The overnight low here at my house was 67 the official low at GRR looks to be 66. If it can stay at or above that 66 until midnight it would tie the record for the warmest minimum for May 11th. The record high for today at Grand Rapids is 89 set in 1922 and 1896. At Lansing the record high is 88 set in 1896 then 87 set in 1922. At Muskegon the record is 87 set in 1930. For our friends to the east the record at Detroit  in 1993. At Flint it is 90 in 1922 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

I swear there is a little protective bubble over my house that causes thunderstorms to move around me. In the appetizer of storms this morning, the main cell went to my west and a secondary cell to my east. This has repeatedly happened over the past few months we've been here.

My wife is a pretty religious woman and whenever I tell her there are chances of severe thunderstorms she says a little prayer that no tornadoes or anything will hit us. At first I thought it was cute, now I might need to tell her to knock it off. :lol:

That also usually happens at my house too with Supercells!

It feels like June outside w temps in the upper 70s (79 to be exact). Do I dare say the word "Humid" because it certainly does have that mugginess around. Tbh, I kinda miss this airmass. Now, all we need is a few severe t'stms to top it all off.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

3 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

I swear there is a little protective bubble over my house that causes thunderstorms to move around me. In the appetizer of storms this morning, the main cell went to my west and a secondary cell to my east. This has repeatedly happened over the past few months we've been here.

My wife is a pretty religious woman and whenever I tell her there are chances of severe thunderstorms she says a little prayer that no tornadoes or anything will hit us. At first I thought it was cute, now I might need to tell her to knock it off. :lol:

You don’t want AM crapvection anyway. Dampens instability.