May 2022 Observations & Discussions

Iceresistance

Ran into a severe storm this morning north of Rochester MN on my way to IA. Full on hail storm for at least 15min. Half to 3/4 inch diameter. It was intense. Everyone pulled off. 

Made it to IA and it's currently 88 with a 97 H.I.

Also....that is a crazy long afd from DMX on t-storm potential 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Just absurd humidity  across much of Iowa.  Saw at least 77 dewpoint on my station.  Many pushing  80 dp.  Heard local met say iowa "corn sweat" yesterday.  If im not mistaken  most of corn seed isn't  EVEN PLANTED ! IMO  its a question  of geography.   Nearly seal level Mississippi  basin, i feel humidity  pools here east iowa, west Illinois,  south wisc. A look at usa dewpoint  records  bears this out. Im sure this been happening  for centuries before corn, when this area was  swamps and predominantly  grass. After all corn is a grass!

Screenshot_20220511-130902_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • scream 2

24 minutes ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Just absurd humidity  across much of Iowa.  Saw at least 77 dewpoint on my station.  Many pushing  80 dp.  Heard local met say iowa "corn sweat" yesterday.  If im not mistaken  most of corn seed isn't  EVEN PLANTED ! IMO  its a question  of geography.   Nearly seal level Mississippi  basin, i feel humidity  pools here east iowa, west Illinois,  south wisc. A look at usa dewpoint  records  bears this out. Im sure this been happening  for centuries before corn, when this area was  swamps and predominantly  grass. After all corn is a grass!

Screenshot_20220511-130902_Chrome.jpg

Can't be corn sweat.  That is what we see around here in July and August.  We are still in the planting stages, and I really have not seen any corn emerge yet.

It looks to have reached 87 for a very short time between readings at GRR. At the current time it is cloudy here with a temperature of 80 and a DP of 68 that DP is down from the 71 it was at. That high of 87 will be the new 2nd warmest for any May 11th The record high of 89 will stand for this date. If it can stay at 66 or better until midnight Grand Rapids would set a new record warmest minimum for the date. Looking ahead the record high for tomorrow is 86. 

• Like 1

Dew here is a dry 39F w a few clouds here and there. Overall, a dry day. Never did get humid today, but, warm w readings in the low 80s.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Like Clinton it’s summer.  
Sunny

90*.  
Wind gusty 23 mph.  

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Waterloo had a high of 93 today. Not a record. However, tomorrow's record is 89 and the forecast is 92. So a record high is possible tomorrow. 

Tonight I was out on the deck and could see the south end of the cloud deck and lightning flashes from the Minnesota storm complex. Pretty amazing knowing how far away those storms are. Gotta love weather!

• Like 3

ORD set a new record high of 90F yesterday (old record 89F 1982) and a record low/high of 70F (old record 1881).  I was near the lakeshore yesterday and there was a mirage over Lake Michigan.  This was before the lake breeze pushed inland.  The city was vibrant and people were out exercising, shirts off, beach go'ers along with people lounging around the parks enjoying this Summer weather...it was nice to see.  I've been in summer mode for a few weeks now having stayed in Arizona.  I was thinking to myself what all these people must feel like after living through one of the most miserable periods of Spring in recent years!   

Another Carbon Copy today as we head up towards 90F yet again....looking forward to more seasonal weather this weekend and a bit of a cool period next week.

• Like 2

Record highs set yesterday! Yes there were some record highs set yesterday. The official H/L at Grand Rapids was 87/66. That 87 was the 2nd warmest May 11th and the low of 66 tied 1922 for the warmest minimum. At Muskegon the H/L was 87/71 the high tied 1930 for the record and the low of 71 is the new record minimum. At Holland their H/L was 90/67 the high of 90 tied 1993 for the record and the low of 67 is the new record warmest minimum. At Kalamazoo the H/L was 89/67 both the high and low are records for the date. At Lansing their H/L was 83/66 the 83 was the 6th warmest high and the low of 66 was the 2nd warmest minimum at Lansing. The big thunderstorms that hit the Big Rapids area fell apart before reaching the Grand Rapids area but it did cool down late yesterday afternoon. 

The overnight low at Grand Rapids looks to have been 63 here at my house the overnight low was 62 and that is the current temperature here with hazy skies. There are some  thunderstorms to the NW that will miss GR well to the north. The record high for today is 86 set way back in 1896 in more recent times in 2nd place a high of 85 was set in 2011, 2004 and 1956. Remember that today is part of the so called "Three Chilly Saints" or a period of cool weather that seems to happen in mid May.

• Like 2

70* today.  Nice morning. 
Expecting a High of 94* 

Wind is up still. SSE 16-23 mph. 
We’ve seen a good deal of SSE winds this spring.  Usually means rain but not this spring.  
It’s been an odd one.  

Drought in West Tx hanging in there.  Everyone’s hoping it will back off.  
Wildfires will certainly be a concern throughout the State.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

2 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Haven't experienced near 80 mph winds since the Hanukkah Eve windstorm that hit the PNW in 2006.

Get into a burst swath in an intense linear segment and you’ll see straightline wind you’ve never dreamed of.

Models look pretty darn good up there today. Consistency across mesoscales/CAMs is always the first thing I look for, and you’ve got it today.

• Like 2

Easterly flow has returned this morning, bringing in a push of marine air and low clouds. Currently in the low 60s with dews approaching 60..quite comfortable still.

Some thunderstorms possible by the weekend as BL moisture and surface based instability increases slightly.

It will feel like Summer today as temps soar into the mid to upper 80s. Luv it!!! Back to average in a couple of days w highs in the 60s and lows in the nippy 30s and 40s. I keep forgetting we r into May still. All this warmth is making me skip into the Summer months. Y'all get that as well I bet.

• Like 3

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Models have removed any rain for my area Friday as the frontal passage timing will be poor.  Last weekend the Euro was advertising at least a few rounds of storms here this week, but we will likely go the entire week without a drop.  The next chance is mid next week or even next weekend.  Ugh.

• Sad 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Record Event Report
National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE
135 AM CDT Thu May 12 2022

...RECORD TEMPERATURES AT OMAHA NE ON WEDNESDAY MAY 11...

It was a record setting day in Omaha on Wednesday May 11. The 
morning low was only 70 degrees, which broke the previous warm 
morning low record of 67 set in 1879. Records began in Omaha in 
1871. And then a new maximum temperature record was set at 339 PM 
CDT when the temperature reached 96 degrees, breaking the previous 
record of 93 set in 2000. 

• Like 1
  • Sun 1
  • scream 1

New record high at Muskegon the current reading of 90 at Muskegon is the new record high for today. The old record was 83 set in 2011. Grand Rapids has now tied the record high for today with the current reading of 86. I have 88 here at my house will have to see if GRR comes in with a higher reading in the next few hours

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, westMJim said:

New record high at Muskegon the current reading of 90 at Muskegon is the new record high for today. The old record was 83 set in 2011. Grand Rapids has now tied the record high for today with the current reading of 86. I have 88 here at my house will have to see if GRR comes in with a higher reading in the next few hours

I had 88.9 on my weather station.  91 on my car thermometer.  I suspect it will be 88 or 89 degrees officially next update.  Dews are real low so not too bad.   

Nice line of thunderstorms moving through my area right now with heavy rain and small hail.  It is very dark outside of my classroom window.  Temp has dropped from 91 to 71 in the last 20 minutes.  Latest forecast saying 0.50-0.75", though it is moving rapidly, so I don't think we'll get that much.  I'll check when I get home at 4.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Nice line of thunderstorms moving through my area right now with heavy rain and small hail.  It is very dark outside of my classroom window.  Temp has dropped from 91 to 71 in the last 20 minutes.  Latest forecast saying 0.50-0.75", though it is moving rapidly, so I don't think we'll get that much.  I'll check when I get home at 4.  

Looks like it will develop into a wind and hail threat.

MD 735 graphic

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

This doesn't sound too good...

image.png

That line to your SW looks legit. Stay safe bro!

We are at our max temp of the week (92º at the airport, maybe a bit higher in the city), but the dewpoint has fallen to 62º, down about 10º from the last couple days.  It's hot, but not as bad with more wind and lower dew.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"