May 2022 Observations & Discussions

Iceresistance

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

Pretty sure the radar is picking up on that dust storm on the leading edge. Not sure what else that would be. 

Screenshot_20220512-173624_RadarScope.jpg

Yeah that’s outflow. Dust, leaves, and other small debris gets lofted along the gust front and is reflected by the radar beam.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Holy .... This is the most surreal thing I have ever experienced. Giant dust storm with the house freaking rocking right now!!! 

Pictures don't even do it justice.

20220512_170513.jpg

20220512_170126.jpg

Looks like a Haboob in the deserts!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

Beautiful post-convection sunset.

IMG_20220512_210441.jpg

Looks like you're a few points ahead of me on the exciting storms. So far here just garden variety convection.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I didn't think May would produce that kind of wind setup, SPC reports is nuts today. 

@hawkstwelvemust have had a nice storm, any power outages?

today.gif

• Like 4
  • Windy 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Spoke to my dad in Emery, SD a bit ago. That's about 45 minutes west of Sioux Falls. They are still without power and the entire town is blocked off. He said one of the grain elevators was completely blown over, lots of businesses in their downtown had windows blown out, dozens and dozens of trees down, and he lost most of his shingles on the south side of his roof.

He heard a gust of 98 mph was measured in town. Also described how weird the storm was. The wall of dust moved in suddenly and made it pitch black like he's never seen before. Crazily the power went out with this first part of the storm. Then after about 10-15 minutes, the tornado sirens went off and that's when the real wind, rain, and hail hit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you guys out west are living through a short glimpse of what the 1930's looked like!  Some fascinating photo's of the dust storm are showing up on social media.  Here are a few...

FSlvRA0XwAI_yV4?format=jpg&name=large

FSlvRA2WYBcRPUC?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • scream 2

The city of Chicago just experienced a rare Heat Wave so early in the season.  Only one other time since 1928 has MDW tacked on 3 consecutive days in the 90's so early in the season.  Not only this, but to smash 3 consecutive record highs in the 90's is a tall order in early May.  You can thank the wavy jet stream in this unusually amplified and blocked up pattern.  

ORD may end up setting another record high temp today so let's see if we can finish this week off on a record setting note....by the way, Happy Friday the 13th!  Good luck ya'll!

FITOct-wea-0513-feature.jpg  

• Like 3

Wondering what the wx pattern looks like for MDW???  Big differences between the GEFS & EPS....GEFS advertising a stout SER while the EPS says the complete opposite and is showing trough over the eastern SUB.  You can't script a more opposite wx pattern.  If this was a battle I'd see in the Winter season, you would normally side with the GEFS as the EPS usually is the one that hangs troughs out in the W/SW and pumps the eastern ridge.  I'm actually very surprised to see this model contradiction.

0z GEFS...

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_49.png

0z EPS...

image.png

0z EPS is blowing a CF down through our central SUB a bit faster for next weekend.  I hope we can score at least one good day next weekend (SAT) around these parts so I can venture out to the city or the lakeshore and enjoy the beach scene.

A glimpse into MDW...

image.png

Say it ain't SO, but we are still going to be talking about late MAY SNOW???

image.gif

• Like 2

Here is a short recap of the record temperatures set yesterday. Grand Rapids 87 new record. Muskegon 91 new record. Holland 88 tied with 1993 for the record. Kalamazoo 87 tied 2011 for the record. For today the record high are Grand Rapids and Holland 86. Kalamazoo 88. Lansing 91 and Muskegon 84. So there is a good chance that most records could be tied or broken today. 
With low dew points the temperature fell to 59 here at my house and it looks like the overnight low at GRR was 61. At the current time it is clear and 62 here at my house.

7 minutes ago, Jayhawker85 said:

Woke up to early morning loud boomers here in Lawrence. Rain gauge says about 1.60 inches so far. We will see if we can get a round 2 later this evening 

Nice rain over your way, it's made for a beautiful morning here.  Dew points are currently in the mid 50s and the rain looks to miss to my west this morning and my east tonight.

• Like 1

@TomChicago in the 90s yesterday??? Holy crap!! I am sure records were broken. 

My area did not hit the 90s, but did manage upper 80s, along w a very dry dew.

• Like 3

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

It was absolutely insane last night! Never in a million years did I think I would experience a Haboob! After I recorded the following video things just went completely black as midnight. Multiple trees where uprooted and gonna need quiet a bit of clean up today. 

• Like 4
  • scream 7

Meanwhile here in S MI , it is absolutely gorgeous.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

2 hours ago, gabel23 said:

It was absolutely insane last night! Never in a million years did I think I would experience a Haboob! After I recorded the following video things just went completely black as midnight. Multiple trees where uprooted and gonna need quiet a bit of clean up today. 

That’s gotta be the meanest looking dust storm I’ve ever seen!  Wild stuff Gabel and great footage!  Front row show…

Im sitting  at .75 rain in may which is significantly  less than normal. May has come to be about the only month  in se iowa that  precip is almost a guarantee.   But how did that massive heat ridge come in with  zero rain and now it left with fropa and zero rain.  Drives me crazy that in this place this is so frequent!  Whats it take to get lift  here!  Humidity  means absolutely  zero when it comes to rain here!  Ive learned  throughout  majority  of the year a south  to north eastward bound cold from usually  brings zero to quarter inch! But if fronts are aligned  west to east and sagging or stationary  we get good rains

• Like 3

We hit 97* this afternoon. 
May see 98* before 5pm.  

This is pretty crazy even for us.   
Man, I hope we get rain this Spring!!

• Sun 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Meanwhile here in "boring" old Omaha, yesterday we broke another record high. The storms never held their strength as they made it here finally around 9p. In fact, only got lucky enough to have a small cell strengthen enough right over town to dump .15" of rain in about 10 minutes and had some small pea sized hail. I hit 95.4 yesterday IMBY. I saw a small town named Tekamah, NE just north of here hit 101 yesterday.

Record Event Report
National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE
910 PM CDT Thu May 12 2022

...RECORD HIGH SET IN OMAHA, NEBRASKA...

At 259 PM the temperature in Omaha reached 97 degrees, establishing
a new record high for May 12th. The previous record was 93 set in

• Like 4

Today was much nicer than the last few.  Today's temp was several degrees lower and the dew 15-20 degrees lower.

• Like 5

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

IT’S  ONLY MAY !!!!!!  

For Heaven’s Sake !!  🤬🤬🤬

ERCOT asks all Texans to curb power usage where they can, including raising their thermostat to 78 degrees or higher between the hours of peak usage (3 p.m. to 8 p.m.).

edit 7:50  

Its 84* A line of thunderstorms moving in from the west.  The clouds saved us.    This may be a looong summer.  

Question-  What kind of summer will North Texas have??

• scream 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

1 hour ago, Andie said:

🤬ERCOT asks all Texans to curb power usage where they can, including raising their thermostat to 78 degrees or higher between the hours of peak usage (3 p.m. to 8 p.m.).

Yeah that could not be me 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

1 hour ago, Andie said:

IT’S  ONLY MAY !!!!!!  

For Heaven’s Sake !!  🤬🤬🤬

ERCOT asks all Texans to curb power usage where they can, including raising their thermostat to 78 degrees or higher between the hours of peak usage (3 p.m. to 8 p.m.).

edit 7:50  

Its 84* A line of thunderstorms moving in from the west.  The clouds saved us.    This may be a looong summer.  

Question-  What kind of summer will North Texas have??

Going to be a death ridge summer, I’m afraid.

• Sick 1

6 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Guess I can now say I have experienced a derecho...

You’re now officially initiated!

Once you go derecho, you never go back. 🍻 

• lol 2

The dewpoint has fallen to a delightful 45º this evening.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I’ve lived through worse.  113* one week in summer.  
It just gets hard on everything.  Cattle, horses.  People start leaving water out for wild animals.  It gets rough. 

But I was a kid and there weren’t any brownouts/blackouts.  In Texas people die in heatwaves. 

• Like 1
  • scream 1

ORD tied the record high for the day at 89F and felt much more tolerable compared to previous days.  Looking forward to a cooler day today and tomorrow.  I think we'll be able to open up the windows for a few days starting on Sun and turn off the A/C until later next week when a major trough carves out in the west that'll pump the ridge out here.

Speaking of the system later next week, both the GFS/EURO are starting to line up on the idea of a "cutter" up through the central ag belt.  Man, the 00z Euro has a nasty looking temp profile for next Sat.  I sure hope the warm front can push north for at least one day (SAT) next weekend.  Nonetheless, a very wet and strong late Spring storm is on tap next weekend.

1.png

Well, the city of Chicago just lived through history as Midway airport logged it's 4th consecutive 90F+ day on Friday and tied the record for longest early season Heat wave (4 days in a row).  Pretty remarkable feat!

Looking to cool down???  The 0z EPS not backing down later next week and into the following week...geeze, this kind of temp battle zone will undoubtedly fire up some storms.  Quite the wet wx pattern is poised to set up shop across the Sub.

1.gif

Yikes, some parts of the eastern ag belt will need a canoe and that's no bueno for the farmers.

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

Yesterdays official H/L at Grand Rapids was 86/59 that 86 tied the record high last set in 1940. At Muskegon they set a new record high of 89 and the high of 87 at Holland also set a new record high. At Lansing the high there of 87 did not set a new record. With forecast high today mostly in the lower 80's there should not be any records set. After today it will become cooler and for the start of next week there will day times high in the 60's for the next week the average highs between 69 and 72.

• Like 2