May 2022 Observations & Discussions

Iceresistance

73 this morning headed for 95/96*.  
Humidity is 61% 
Light Southerly winds 6 mph

The nice line of storms west of DFW last night dried up like a dead lizard in August!  Hopeless.  
We need more “umph!”

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The next few weeks are typically the wettest time of year in KC and the 10 day forecast on the Euro and GFS reflect that.

qpf_acc.conus.png

qpf_acc.conus.png

also interesting is the GFS keeps showing a tropical system in the Gulf, seems way to early for something like this.

gfs_ref_frzn_seus_47.png

• Like 2

We’ll take it Clinton.  
Especially if it tracks just enough to give No Central Tx some rain.  
It’s better if it forms closer to Mexico.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

FYI

Blood Moonrise Sunday  
Don’t miss it!

The entire eclipse will be over five hours long, starting at 9:32 p.m. EDT on Sunday, May 15, and lasting until 2:50 a.m. EDT on Monday, May 16.

However, the total phase of the eclipse, when the moon changes color, will last only about an hour and a half, starting at 11:29 p.m. EDT and ending at 12:53 a.m. EDT. The middle of the eclipse will be the best time to look at the moon and will occur at 12:11 a.m. EDT.

• Like 1

Texas straddles a couple lines.  
The SW crowd and the S Central bunch.  Then there are the NW cold fronts and Hurricanes.  
In short, we’re in the “sweet spot”.  

It can suck.  

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 85/60 At Muskegon it was 83/52 and to the east at Lansing it was 87/63 Lansing officially had 0.35" of rain. GRR did not record any rain fall. Here at my house I had 0.02" in a brief but heavy shower. The overnight low here at my house was 53, At the airport it looks to have been 55. At this time there are clouds moving in and it is 61 here.

It felt like a top notch Summer day yesterday with a high of 86F but the DP's were way more comfortable compared to earlier in the week.  We celebrated my nieces 1st Communion at a wonderful church in Park Ridge, IL.  The clouds cleared up just after Noon and line up perfectly for her communion.  We all enjoyed the food and festivities afterwards at my sisters place.  A nice lake breeze kicked in right around 5:00pm or so and dropped the temp into the upper 70's.  #perfection

The CF has swept through and the DP's continue to drop into the 40's with a current temp of 74F.  I have the windows open for the first time in a little while....feels so nice!

• Like 3

We’re sitting at 97*.  Sunny, Breezy

We’ll likely just touch 100* this afternoon late.  If we do, it will be disheartening as we’re all bracing ourselves over the summer.  

I understand temps will drop this coming into the 80’s Saturday with chances of rain. That’s more like May! 

6pm.    99*. Record High. 
A weak front moves through tomorrow, but no rain.   High 96.   
Temps won’t drop until Saturday when we’ll dip to a more normal 86*.  Hallelujah!!!

Pray the power generators hold out!!

Tried to get a good shot of the blood moon but my camera just couldn’t get the color saturation. 
Will see what’s out there tomorrow. 

We’ve dropped to 89*, unfortunately 100* tomorrow.  
Low of 69.*
Quite a climb.  

• Like 1

Some good news for those of you who are making plans for MDW.  The 0z EPS has backed off the cooler look over the MW/GL's region, however, the CFSv2 is not biting on this idea just yet.  I sure hope the EPS is right on this one...the GEFS somewhat agree as well.  If you live in the central Plains, it appears the furnace is about to turn on!

image.png

0z GEFS...

gfs-ens_T2maMean_us_11.png

Before then, however, a very potent CF will traverse the entire SUB reminding us we are still in Spring.  Some cool crisp Canadian Air will be infiltrating the region for this upcoming weekend around these parts.  Perfect bon fire weather!

image.gif

• Like 3

Great shots of the Blood Moon Tom. 
Thanks!   

Located a good shot taken in Georgetown, Tx.  
This was the “Flower Blood Moon”

We’re at 67 lovely degrees this morning. I’m going to get out and grab some before the heat hits. 
High of 93 will feel like a cool front! 

I’m really excited about those temps in the 80’s on their way.  🙌 WooHoo!!

C0068F65-C242-4998-B1E4-B15A0F067519.jpeg

• Like 4

After a week of nice warm summer like weather (dare I say some would call it hot) we are now back to near to cooler than average few days. There could be a very brief warm up later in the week and maybe a chance of some thunderstorms (severe?) Then back to a cool pattern. Could this up and down  be the pattern for the summer time? The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 76/55 and there was officially 0.05" of rain fall. The overnight low here at my house was 53. At this time it is sunny and 60 here. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Not dry down here by any means but this is the wettest time of year and I've only had .6 the last 10 days.  I would gladly take a good drink before it turns hot again.  I know you guys aren't turning down any rain let's hope this pans out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Not dry down here by any means but this is the wettest time of year and I've only had .6 the last 10 days.  I would gladly take a good drink before it turns hot again.  I know you guys aren't turning down any rain let's hope this pans out.

You're right.   We still need much more.  I keep hearing about the Southern Plains Death Ridge.  I hope we would be on the northern periphery of that to get storms over the top as we get into summer.  If that ridge would move too far north, that would make for a very dry summer around here.  That would just be one more problem to add to the many issues with costs that farmers are already dealing with.

• Like 1

Some much needed rainfall fell in my area yesterday and into early this morning. A cooldown is coming, briefly, but it will definately feel good. Also, a few upper 30s cannot be ruled out in the colder spots tommorow nite, as that cool air rushes in.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Always an exciting time of year.  Our school had graduation yesterday, and our 9-11 graders are finishing final tests today with our checkout/last day tomorrow morning.  Had a wonderful weekend of weather for graduation receptions with temps in the 70's and low humidity. That isn't always the case as we can have cold and rainy or warm and humid this time of year.  Excited for a relaxing summer of yard work, home projects, wt. room supervision, and some short trips to see friends and relatives.  Also, no alarm set for 5:30 AM.  Yeah. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Today’s severe threat totally flopped here. Pre-frontal crapvection blew through way too early. 😭

The models were way to slow with this system the storms yesterday came in a few hours faster as well looks to me that the models errored to slow this time.The good news if Larry Cosgrove idea of the core ridge in the west southwest this summer we should have plently of opportunities for some good thunderstorm events.

• Like 1

Nice cluster of t'stm missed me to my south. This could have been a doozy. Temps are currently in the pleasant 70s. 

Btw: Due to too many clouds last night, the "Super Moon " was not possible. Hope y'all had clear skies to see it.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"