May 2022 Observations & Discussions

Iceresistance

8 minutes ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

I heard 2 inch hail east of New Market MD this eve. Thats pretty extreme  for that area.

Yeah baseball sized hail with that cell but it was a loner. Didn’t get much here, some thunder claps and moderate rain.

Strongest winds came in behind the storm with the dry cold front passage.

• Like 1

What a perfect day yesterday as we topped out at a very comfy 78F along with a nice NW breeze.  It felt like a late summer/early autumn day.  I cooked up some grass-fed burgers and Polish sausage on the weber and had my family enjoy a nice dinner out on the deck.  It's a cool & crisp 50F this morning with a wind out of the NE off the lake.  Should be another wonderful May day around here.

The wx gets a bit active around here tomorrow and moreso on Friday.  Friday night boomers?

• Like 2

I hope the Euro is right and slows down the passage of the CF here on Friday allowing for more warming during the day...but more importantly, I'd like to venture out and make it a Beach day!  Nothing beats working at the beach on a Friday afternoon...

Alright, looking at MDW...while it does look like a warmer weekend for the majority of this Sub, unfortunately, I think it will be accompanied by active wx in our region.  I think we'll be dodging storms around here and members in the vicinity of the MW/GL's.

image.gif

1.gif

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Severe weather and strong storms possible tonight in my area.  SE Nebraska could see some isolated tornadoes but for mby the highest risk should be strong straight line winds and heavy rain.

image.png.7f522d77d7768872d772aca549f15db8.png

Good luck down there!  The CAM's look pretty solid for your region and KC peeps...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I hope the Euro is right and slows down the passage of the CF here on Friday allowing for more warming during the day...but more importantly, I'd like to venture out and make it a Beach day!  Nothing beats working at the beach on a Friday afternoon...

Alright, looking at MDW...while it does look like a warmer weekend for the majority of this Sub, unfortunately, I think it will be accompanied by active wx in our region.  I think we'll be dodging storms around here and members in the vicinity of the MW/GL's.

image.gif

1.gif

Big win here is places needing rainfall before the summer kicks it into high gear.

I think the humid fetch/foliage aspiration here will keep overall temperatures lower than parts west or north of me in this deal. Let's hope I'm right.

Interested to see when the tropics start kicking, also.

• Like 2

The official high low at Grand Rapids yesterday was 73/53 with 85% of possible sunshine. The overnight low here at my house was 44 and the official overnight low at GRR was 46. At this time it is sunny here and 52. In looking at Fridays forecast I have to wonder if there has been some back tracking on the storm potential. At this time it still looks like most areas will get rather warm on Friday.

• Like 1

Splendid morning outside currently w lots of sunshine and temps are quite nippy. Holding in the mid 40s.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Next Marginal Risk coming up (tomorrow) covers all of KY. We're nearing the end of Spring and I have not experienced any really frequent lightning so far at my new location.

But at least I have reached the double digits on thunder days!

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

1 hour ago, westMJim said:

The official high low at Grand Rapids yesterday was 73/53 with 85% of possible sunshine. The overnight low here at my house was 44 and the official overnight low at GRR was 46. At this time it is sunny here and 52. In looking at Fridays forecast I have to wonder if there has been some back tracking on the storm potential. At this time it still looks like most areas will get rather warm on Friday.

Looks like my area has a shot at hitting 90F Friday.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

April 2024:

50 minutes ago, Tom said:

I just heard on the news that they are sending armed guards to protect the food in places in Iowa?  Any confirmation? 

Edit: Its in Des Moines

Can't confirm this personally - but i work down by the Airport in CR where local National Guard is located, and i've seen many convoys on the move in the last week or so.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

I just heard on the news that they are sending armed guards to protect the food in places in Iowa?  Any confirmation? 

Edit: Its in Des Moines

Which news source? my in laws live in Des Moines and they haven’t seen anything 

7 hours ago, Timmy Supercell said:

Next Marginal Risk coming up (tomorrow) covers all of KY. We're nearing the end of Spring and I have not experienced any really frequent lightning so far at my new location.

But at least I have reached the double digits on thunder days!

Same bro. Been a sucky start for the mid-Atlantic.

• Like 1

We might approach 100 degrees Saturday.

Disturbingly early for this s**t. At least humidity won’t be too bad. Dewpoints only in the 60s.

• Sun 1

6 hours ago, BMT said:

Can't confirm this personally - but i work down by the Airport in CR where local National Guard is located, and i've seen many convoys on the move in the last week or so.  

I'm going to play really dumb here.  Protect food from what?  I haven't seen anything at all and I work right next to the Eastern Iowa Airport.  There has been no presence at all at the local grocery stores where I live.  I'm completely out of the loop on this one I guess.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

I'm going to play really dumb here.  Protect food from what?  I haven't seen anything at all and I work right next to the Eastern Iowa Airport.  There has been no presence at all at the local grocery stores where I live.  I'm completely out of the loop on this one I guess.  

Oh I agree.  No clue!  Just thought it’s been odd with all the activity as of late.  Just sharing an observation.  Could be totally normal and I’ve just never witnessed it.  

2 hours ago, Phil said:

We might approach 100 degrees Saturday.

Disturbingly early for this s**t. At least humidity won’t be too bad. Dewpoints only in the 60s.

Well the low humidity is probably why. And it’s not that concerining…. You holding the same latitude as the desert SW plus low humidity in mid May…. No surprise given any appreciable ridging. No guarantee that will hold into the Summer.

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

34 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Well the low humidity is probably why. And it’s not that concerining…. You holding the same latitude as the desert SW plus low humidity in mid May…. No surprise given any appreciable ridging. No guarantee that will hold into the Summer.

Oh low humidity definitely won’t last. Lol. A summer without humidity here is analogous to Seattle having subfreezing highs every day for an entire winter.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Oh low humidity definitely won’t last. Lol. A summer without humidity here is analogous to Seattle having subfreezing highs every day for an entire winter.

I meant the 100°F weather ;)

Also bad analogy, given 2022-23

• scream 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Boy, I'm really digging what the 0z EPS is serving up to close out May, but esp wrt MDW weekend.  After what will be a very chill weekend into the middle part of next week, the stout SW ridge will fire up and blow some of that Summer Sizzling heat into the Plains/MW just in the nick of time for nearly everyone on here to celebrate the unofficial start to Summer with a warm/hot welcome (depending on your local).  What a well-timed warm up!

image.gif

• Like 4

Texas will see another hot 98* day.  
However Sunday will bring us a 4 day stretch in the 80’s with Sunday in the high 70’s and possible rain ! 

We’re seeing an early summer in the southern plains and with the power company howling at us to turn up our thermostats, It’s going to be a long-a** summer.  

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 67/46. With a departure of -3.1 that brought a end to the 8 days in a row of above average days at Grand Rapids. The overnight low both here at my house and at GRR was 45. When the clouds moved in it did warm up it 50 and with the rain now started it is at 49. So far here at my house I have recorded 0.06" of rain fall. It still looks like a brief warm up on Friday with some storm chances and then down to below average for the weekend and at least the start of next week. So far May's mean at Grand Rapids of 60.3 is +3.5. At Muskegon their mean of 61.1 is +5.5 At Lansing there mean of 60.8 is +4.8 and at Holland their mean of 60.1 is +4.3. May so far has been well above average at this point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

Storms last night produced a lot of thunder and lightning but not much rain I picked up .55in, the heavier rainfall was just off to my south and west.

I’m shocked you didn’t get more rain last night as we did. It was pretty neat seeing the curling ball on radar move right over Topeka and Lawrence. 

we got A LOT of heavy rain with the cells moving over us causing a flash flood warning for a couple hours. My weather app says only 1.5 inches but That’s wrong as we got that easily in the first hour. 

• Like 1
  • Storm 2

Cool dreary day expected today w temps not gettiing outta the 50s. 

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

April 2024:

I picked up 0.16" of rain this morning, enough to fill the rain barrel.  We did get our first light rumble of thunder of the entire month.  Our next chance of rain is light showers behind the strong front Saturday, so we won't hear thunder again for a while.  I sure hope storm action in June is not as pitiful as May.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I picked up 1.68" overnight in MBY.

Topeka is officially at 6.51" in May as of 5/17 and received additional rain after midnight. That is +3.77" for the month and now +1.48" for 2022. We've done pretty well considering how dry it has been elsewhere.

• Like 4

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

Cold front trending slower across guidance.

Sunday now looks like another day in the mid-90s. The way the Bermuda High is building in reminds me so much of 2010 and 2011. Gonna be a brutal summer, I think.

Currently at 51F w rain. Radar looks very impressive to my west. That is some really hvy rain coming.

• Rain 1

April 2024: