May Winter Continue 2022 PNW

The Blob

I was looking at January 1980, and apparently Downtown Portland had more snow than PDX? I thought that in those situations areas closers to the Gorge do better. Downtown had like 16 inches while Hillsboro only had around 3? I wonder how my area might've done, being in between them and close to the West Hills, but farther north. The snow totals farther north and east were crazy though. And that winter followed the already great winter of 1978-1979.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rsktkr said:

Is this year going to be remembered as the year without a Spring?

I don't know what the criteria is. Is there an official criteria for such a thing?

We should send Hunga Tonga a gift basket.

• Like 5
  • Sick 1

66/43 today. Just have to Make it through one more day of this crap. Lol

• Excited 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

4 hours ago, BLI snowman said:

Their climate really isn't comparable to anywhere in the lower 48. For all intents and purposes they don't have a true spring or a true fall, as most people would see it. Essentially a 2 season climate there. They tend to go into winter just as quickly.

I think it's super interesting how quickly their temperatures max out there in the summer. Basically no seasonal lag with the earliest summer high temps in the whole country. The average high peaks at 74F on June 22, but does manage to stay above 70F until the beginning of August.

• Like 5

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

50F on a nice, calm night. Hope everyone is doing ok. I've got a nasty virus so I'm stuck at home...which is nothing new.

• Sad 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

8 hours ago, Kayla said:

It's not really that fascinating. They've been getting way more daylight than us since the Equinox and they are nearly 5,000ft lower in elevation. This year's leaf out is especially late but we always run behind AK leaf out for said reasons.

It is pretty fascinating.    I don't think there is that big of a difference between 18 hours of daylight and 15.25 hours.   If that was the case then leaf out would move from north to south after the equinox.     And your sun angle is way higher so there is more sun energy in Bozeman than in Fairbanks.    Elevation only matters in terms of temps.  Although its been colder than normal in Bozeman... its still been warmer than Fairbanks.   I think it comes down to tree adaptability.   Their summer peaks in June up there so the trees have to leaf out very fast in order to survive.   I just never realized how fast it happens up there.   The trees in Bozeman don't need to rush so much.   

• Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The 00Z ECMWF and 06Z GFS showed a decent Memorial Day... but Saturday and Sunday are a lock now for cold and wet.   We might get one nice day... which is better than nothing I guess.    

The 00Z EPS and control run showed a much quieter pattern after Sunday like the ECMWF.    But it does not show any significant ridging either so its hard to tell if there will be any meaningful change in our day-to-day weather... or if we end up gloomy and damp like yesterday and now today.  This current period originally looked better last week but got messy with this weak warm front.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1653436800-1653436800-1654732800-10.gif

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

0.01” this morning so far after a low of 52. 3 mild mornings in a row. 
 Euro keeps going back and forth with us being on the northern edge of the precip bulk through the end of the month. 

B757CD90-8F24-4924-9237-3170CCCC2995.jpeg

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

35 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It is pretty fascinating.    I don't think there is that big of a difference between 18 hours of daylight and 15.25 hours.   If that was the case then leaf out would move from north to south after the equinox.     And your sun angle is way higher so there is more sun energy in Bozeman than in Fairbanks.    Elevation only matters in terms of temps.  Although its been colder than normal in Bozeman... its still been warmer than Fairbanks.   I think it comes down to tree adaptability.   Their summer peaks in June up there so the trees have to leaf out very fast in order to survive.   I just never realized how fast it happens up there.   The trees in Bozeman don't need to rush so much.   

I don't think you are fully grasping the difference in sunlight up there. Fairbanks is up to 20 hours of daylight now. Any sort of sun angle difference is easily overcome because of that. Second, we see a lot more late season snow because of our elevation so the trees have adapted to leaf out later. Thirdly, our chlorophyll breakdown begins just as early as Fairbanks so it has nothing to do with trees needing the photosynthesis process to gain enough energy for the winter.

In the end, it all has to do with adaptability. There is a reason why deciduous trees are not very widespread here, it's a harsh climate for them.

• Like 5

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

33 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I don't think you are fully grasping the difference in sunlight up there. Fairbanks is up to 20 hours of daylight now. Any sort of sun angle difference is easily overcome because of that. Second, we see a lot more late season snow because of our elevation so the trees have adapted to leaf out later. Thirdly, our chlorophyll breakdown begins just as early as Fairbanks so it has nothing to do with trees needing the photosynthesis process to gain enough energy for the winter.

In the end, it all has to do with adaptability. There is a reason why deciduous trees are not very widespread here, it's a harsh environment for them.

I think we are saying the same thing about adaptability.    

But I disagree about length of day.   There is way more sun energy available in Bozeman.    A few more hours of low angle, long shadow sunlight in Fairbanks where the sun hovers the horizon before sunset and after sunrise is probably not making a difference between bare trees and fully leafed out trees.   

I think the trees in Fairbanks have to be more efficient (and leaf out very fast) because the sun angle never gets that high even at its peak in late June.   As you said... this difference probably happens in most years but I never realized it. 

• Weenie 1

Just now, yellowstone said:

I’m going to come back in 2 hours to 57 posts about trees and daylight hours in Alaska aren’t I?  

I don't think so.   Maybe 57 posts about the winter of 92-93?    👍

Light rain falling and 50 after a balmy low of 49. No measurable precip yet. 

9 hours ago, Doiinko said:

I was looking at January 1980, and apparently Downtown Portland had more snow than PDX? I thought that in those situations areas closers to the Gorge do better. Downtown had like 16 inches while Hillsboro only had around 3? I wonder how my area might've done, being in between them and close to the West Hills, but farther north. The snow totals farther north and east were crazy though. And that winter followed the already great winter of 1978-1979.

PDX's total in January 1980 seemed pretty low. From what I know, most of eastern Portland into Gresham had around 2 feet in that snowstorm, so PDX being at half that is a bit odd. And Clark County generally had 2-3 feet outside of downtown Vancouver.

There was a ton of freezing rain with that in southern/western Portland and Washington County. I would imagine your area was mostly ZR with a fair amount of snow on the first day and last day of that storm. It was pretty much a juicier version of February 2021.

• Like 3

Drizzle! 50! Low of 49! Dynamic! 
.21” so far on the day, 4.82” for the month, 27.92” for the year. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

63F and mostly cloudy. Feels like a nice morning out there.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Might have something to do with tree species as well or adaptations to local micro climates, subspecies, etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I think we are saying the same thing about adaptability.    

But I disagree about length of day.   There is way more sun energy available in Bozeman.    A few more hours of low angle, long shadow sunlight in Fairbanks where the sun hovers the horizon before sunset and after sunrise is probably not making a difference between bare trees and fully leafed out trees.   

I think the trees in Fairbanks have to be more efficient (and leaf out very fast) because the sun angle never gets that high even at its peak in late June.   As you said... this difference probably happens in most years but I never realized it. 

June average insolation: 6.29 kWh/m²/day in Bozeman, 5.62 kWh/m²/day in Anchorage.

https://www.gaisma.com/en/location/bozeman-montana.html

https://www.gaisma.com/en/location/anchorage-alaska.html

It's called clown range for a reason.

19 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

June average insolation: 6.29 kWh/m²/day in Bozeman, 5.62 kWh/m²/day in Anchorage.

So the difference is clouds?   It's sunnier in Fairbanks?

28 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Steepness of the solar vector matters, though. If you just do a plain average then the arctic would “average” more insolation than much of the tropics during boreal summer. But I don’t think anyone would argue solar radiation is stronger in the arctic.

Its analogous to shining a flashlight directly against the floor vs at an angle. When shining at an angle, the area under by the beam increases and the intensity per unit area decreases as a result.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Looks fairly dry for Lasqueti Island (where I plan to be).

Farther north is definitely better on Saturday and Sunday.

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Farther north is definitely better on Saturday and Sunday.

Isle of Palms isn’t hot yet. Not too late for a spontaneous trip to the beach. 😎

4B156B2B-5C5D-444D-A6BF-127A1D54CA08.jpeg

Speaking of insolation, I got my first sunburn of the year yesterday..under thick overcast. 😂 I make that same d**n mistake every year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Speaking of insolation, I got my first sunburn of the year yesterday..under thick overcast. 😂 I make that same d**n mistake every year.

lol, last October I was over at the beach in SC.  got some of the spray on sunblock and sprayed it while windy and apparently didn't rub it in evenly.  so I came out that evening looking like some sort of calico cat with different levels of burn and tan.  it's still uneven.  looking to fix that next week when there.

• lol 1

6 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

lol, last October I was over at the beach in SC.  got some of the spray on sunblock and sprayed it while windy and apparently didn't rub it in evenly.  so I came out that evening looking like some sort of calico cat with different levels of burn and tan.  it's still uneven.  looking to fix that next week when there.

Can empathize with that. Once I forgot to put sunblock on my right arm and fell asleep in the sun. The colors didn’t match again until the end of winter. :lol: 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

I thought I was pale and sunburnt easily. Of course, being further south facilitates that. I can feel the beginning stages of getting sunburnt in San Francisco on overcast summer days if I am outside for several hours. (Have always then limited my exposure so have no direct experience of acquiring sunburn under those conditions.) Does not to seem to be an issue this far north.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

Steepness of the solar vector matters, though. If you just do a plain average then the arctic would “average” more insolation than much of the tropics during boreal summer. But I don’t think anyone would argue solar radiation is stronger in the arctic.

Its analogous to shining a flashlight directly against the floor vs at an angle. When shining at an angle, the area under by the beam increases and the intensity per unit area decreases as a result.

I am posting the data and my source for it. It was the only source I could easily find. It shows Anchorage getting less insolation than Bozeman in June. I would expect they take sun angle into account. Not sure if they take cloud cover into it, or if it’s based on actual measurements or theoretical calculations. But again, I would be very surprised if sun angle wasn’t figured into it; it is so easy to calculate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I thought I was pale and sunburnt easily. Of course, being further south facilitates that. I can feel the beginning stages of getting sunburnt in San Francisco on overcast summer days if I am outside for several hours. (Have always then limited my exposure so have no direct experience of acquiring sunburn under those conditions.) Does not to seem to be an issue this far north.

Yeah man, it’s crazy how the body responds to small differences in solar intensity.

I burn quickly down in GA. Even when cloaked in the highest spf sunblock I’ll turn brown after a couple of days. 

On the other hand, was outside in the sun all day at an airshow in Seattle while visiting a few years ago (and then went fishing in Canada), all without sunblock and didn’t even get a tan.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah man, it’s crazy how the body responds to small differences in solar intensity.

I burn quickly down in GA. Even when cloaked in the highest spf sunblock I’ll turn brown after a couple of days. 

On the other hand, was outside in the sun all day at an airshow in Seattle while visiting a few years ago (and then went fishing in Canada), all without sunblock and didn’t even get a tan.

One of the things I like about this part of the world is that between the widespread tree canopy, more indirect sunlight, and cloudy weather, I really don't have to worry about burning to a crisp very much. When I visit my mom and sister in New Mexico, I almost always feel under assault from the harsh sunlight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I am posting the data and my source for it. It was the only source I could easily find. It shows Anchorage getting less insolation than Bozeman in June. I would expect they take sun angle into account. Not sure if they take cloud cover into it, or if it’s based on actual measurements or theoretical calculations. But again, I would be very surprised if sun angle wasn’t figured into it; it is so easy to calculate.

All good. I’m sure they account for solar angle since that directly impacts the amount of radiation per unit area.

I think it’s average 24hr insolation subsequently averaged over the given month, with clouds/weather factored in, because it has places in the SE US averaging less insolation than both Anchorage and Bozeman, which can only partially be explained by length of day.

I like the long range GFS. A trough the 2nd week of June would be awesome opossum. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1