May Winter Continue 2022 PNW

The Blob

12 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

That must be a mistake there’s no way SEA has had that much rain. Maybe you added another month in there by accident? here’s the stats for Tacoma this year so far.

JAN-9.79”

FEB-4.92”

MAR-2.68”

APR-3.63”

MAY-3.94”

Adding in the rain this morning... SEA is at 22.20 inches since January 1st and that is 3.60 inches above normal.

• Troll 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

January 2022 was actually a little cooler than the current normal for some lowland spots. The “coolest” overall since 2017, although that isn’t saying much. Largely thanks to inversions and the cold start to the month.

471B263D-2A9C-4394-8A47-934A304011B9.png

Well we were +0.5F that month so I guess it wasn't THAT bad but it just felt like it I guess, since Jan has been devoid of anything interesting since 2017 down here. I was speaking about Eugene/Springfield and the rest of the WV to the south of us (not much).

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

18 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Long range GFS looking Noice. No Junuary this year!

Good thing it’s probably not going to verify.

Though a warmish first 2 weeks of June wouldn’t surprise me in the least. Plenty of historical examples of that happening under p8/1 MJO transits at this time of year. In fact the climo signal for such transits (unfiltered for ENSO) is warm in the West.

But excessive W-Hem MJO amplitude is also a GFS/GEFS bias. Less egregious since the upgrade but it’s still there.

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

I was going to say. EPS is ROCK SOLID. 

• Excited 2
  • Troll 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 hour ago, TacomaWaWx said:

That must be a mistake there’s no way SEA has had that much rain. Maybe you added another month in there by accident? here’s the stats for Tacoma this year so far.

JAN-9.79”

FEB-4.92”

MAR-2.68”

APR-3.63”

MAY-3.94”

I was talking about 2013. SEA was 5” more than your location which was surprising being so close.  It must have been a consistent storm track that year from the north. 

However, this is actually the correct signal for MJO phase-8 in early June. Fits it perfectly. So a pattern like this could easily happen.

Problem is the GFS/GEFS over-amplifies the MJO in phase-8. So in reality it’s likely to be more transient than advertised.

1832AFBE-D390-4962-AA10-4C2FC4EDB9C4.pngA3371F61-036E-46CE-9142-234633E9F43C.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Windy 1

1 hour out from arriving home.  Going to need a therapist to acclimate back into our climate.  My rain gauge now shows 4.04 for the month!  Did some caving 2 days ago at Lava Beds Monument (Northern Cali) that sits near Tule lake.  A year ago it had water and now nothing.  Everywhere down south is just dried up streams.  Pretty scary.  Sure wish some of this moisture would head their way.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

1 hour out from arriving home.  Going to need a therapist to acclimate back into our climate.  My rain gauge now shows 4.04 for the month!  Did some caving 2 days ago at Lava Beds Monument (Northern Cali) that sits near Tule lake.  A year ago it had water and now nothing.  Everywhere down south is just dried up streams.  Pretty scary.  Sure wish some of this moisture would head their way.  

Need Tim to move to CA. I’m sure the rain will follow.

• Excited 1
  • Troll 1

13 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

I might try to go to Lava Beds in July. Will almost certainly be in Klamath Falls on July 4-5. Have very good friends there and it is just a 2 hour drive from Sunriver where I will be staying first week of July.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcmcgaffey said:

I was talking about 2013. SEA was 5” more than your location which was surprising being so close.  It must have been a consistent storm track that year from the north. 

Oooh I see I thought you were talking about this year my mistake. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 hour ago, Omegaraptor said:

I might try to go to Lava Beds in July. Will almost certainly be in Klamath Falls on July 4-5. Have very good friends there and it is just a 2 hour drive from Sunriver where I will be staying first week of July.

The caves are pretty cool! Make sure you put Catacombs cave on your list and bring a map!?!  We did this cave several years ago and wanted to get disoriented.  So the nice lady at the visitor center had us follow the main tube to the end and then search for this little opening off the main tube and try to get back!   What and adventure with belly crawl most the way.   Ripped up clothing, knees and gloves.   But so fun!!! 
Theirs also a primitive camp up there you need to stay at….the stars field at night is WOW factor!!!  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Looks like a big band of rain is forming across the Sound right over Seattle. Is this a convergence zone or not? Normally it is a bit to the north but they can form right over Seattle as well.

Yep pretty standard convergence. It’s 49 at 2:20pm here in seattle with heavy rain. Pretty impressive temp for memorial weekend. 

10 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

Yep pretty standard convergence. It’s 49 at 2:20pm here in seattle with heavy rain. Pretty impressive temp for memorial weekend. 

At least I have seen what the convergence zone is like for myself now. Last year I visited and one formed in the usual spot around the King/Snohomish line and I was driving around in North Seattle. Was very close to that one and saw the dark clouds but was not directly in it.

That is a convergence zone from hell over Seattle... completely stationary.    Disgusting.   Glad we are up north.  

Screenshot_20220529-151305_Chrome.jpg

• lol 2
  • Snow 1
  • Weenie 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Another damp and chilly afternoon here today with rain pounding on the windows and 42F currently. 0.51" on the day and adding up quickly. Also just exceeded the 5" mark for the month which is now my wettest May since moving here.

The small rivers and streams are actually rising and nearing their banks. This will be the wettest Spring since at least 2007 in Bozeman which is really nice to see after such a dry Spring/Summer last year.

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 4.05.07 PM.png

• Like 7
  • Rain 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

16 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That is a convergence zone from hell over Seattle... completely stationary.    Disgusting.   Glad we are up north.  

Wish that would come south! Really hoping we can just get another 0.06” to get us over 4” this month. 

• Like 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Wish that would come south! Really hoping we can just get another 0.06” to get us over 4” this month. 

Yeah... that would be cool to get the record.   Not sure it's going to happen now.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... that would be cool to get the record.   Not sure it's going to happen now.

Oh well it might happen over the next couple days but we will see. Has been a very wet month so I’m content. Gonna rain in June anyways maybe we will break a record next month lol. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Just now, TT-SEA said:

View from the top of Alabama Hill in Bellingham... turned into a beautiful day.  

20220529_152535.jpg

Awesome pic thanks for sharing tim! 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

27 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... 50 at UW station and raining steadily here. Cool spring weather is one thing... but it is just nasty and raw here. Feels like a textbook midwinter day.

Meanwhile... 61 in Bettles, Alaska. Colder than the Arctic today!

• Sick 2
  • Weenie 2