Jump to content
The Weather Forums

May Winter Continue 2022 PNW


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The Swamp said:

yeah, this has been the most miserable April and May I can remember

very depressing

Clouds are evil.

  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Rain 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RentonHillTC said:

Hills are green!!

A1C235C6-CBF5-4551-8E85-1A43D8FCF28B.jpeg

Very close to this ugly location...

Screenshot_20220527-192540_Gallery.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Clouds are evil.

Even you have said that you would get very depressed with clouds and rain every day.   

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

That is a good question! July is quite a bit wetter in your area too. I went on PRISM and compared our locations. Your area looks like it averaged 85.92" in the 1991-2020 period, my location 76.13", so your location averages about 10" more rain a year. This is with 800m resolution, so likely pretty accurate.

Here are how the averages broke down over time, this is nice data since Silver Falls precip data has gotten a bit spotty over the past decade or so. 

                         TIM                         ME

Jan                  11.48"                     10.57"

Feb                  8.04"                      8.14"

Mar                  9.23"                      9.21"

April                 7.89"                      7.94"

May                 5.44"                      5.10"

June                4.64"                      3.28"

July                 1.81"                        0.64"

Aug                 1.92"                       0.61" 

Sept                4.01"                       2.48"

Oct                  8.49"                      5.92"

Nov                 12.41"                     10.12"

Dec                 10.56"                     12.12"

 

Looks like our area is slightly wetter than your area Feb-April (About the same), and wetter in December.

                         

 

I've never looked at PRISM before. What a cool resource!

Mine would be:

Jan          9.35

Feb          6.54

Mar          7.08

April        5.99

May        4.73

June       3.95

July        1.46

Aug        1.72

Sept       3.56

Oct         7.18

Nov        10.08 

Dec        8.07

 

That's not terribly far off from what I've noticed. They nailed last year's precipitation to within a couple of inches on the preliminary, so that's good data to use!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
1 hour ago, Skagit Weather said:

It's amazing how much what looked like was going to be a wet weekend has fallen apart up here. Sure there will be clouds, but we may stay dry for the rest of the weekend? Kind of crazy, considering how the models were showing 0.5-1" of rain as late as yesterday.

It's also remarkable how dry the second half of the month has been up here. Since the 16th I've picked up 0.37" which is significantly below average. Of course maybe we'll have some showers come through over the next few days, but I've been surprised how nice it has been.

My fingers and toes are crossed that it stays mostly dry! 

  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Banks lake is pretty nice. Caught the comet neowise 2 years ago out there! 

106619FE-C8D4-4AC6-9D59-F6C9A0BCBC2E.jpeg

27F95AE8-36CB-49C0-ABD2-D7B8A03184D0.jpeg

65DF71B8-9DC9-4E2A-BE62-05527A0F38FC.jpeg

  • Like 8

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
29 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Very close this ugly location...

Screenshot_20220527-192540_Gallery.jpg

Such an ugly place. 

8FC6BFA7-1608-4D50-BD36-9223FEB51940.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Sick 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
6 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Banks lake is pretty nice. Caught the comet neowise 2 years ago out there! 

106619FE-C8D4-4AC6-9D59-F6C9A0BCBC2E.jpeg

27F95AE8-36CB-49C0-ABD2-D7B8A03184D0.jpeg

65DF71B8-9DC9-4E2A-BE62-05527A0F38FC.jpeg

Love that entire area! I need to get back there! 

3DE22BF3-BD2C-4AC9-A6E8-268564DA72EE.jpeg

  • Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

I've never looked at PRISM before. What a cool resource!

Mine would be:

Jan          9.35

Feb          6.54

Mar          7.08

April        5.99

May        4.73

June       3.95

July        1.46

Aug        1.72

Sept       3.56

Oct         7.18

Nov        10.08 

Dec        8.07

 

That's not terribly far off from what I've noticed. They nailed last year's precipitation to within a couple of inches on the preliminary, so that's good data to use!

This is a really cool resource! It's fun to go look at past events and see temps from them! Obviously it won't be exact, but it looks like my area peaked at 113 degrees on June 28th, 2021. Coldest temp since I've lived here seems to be 11 degrees on 12/8/13 and 12/9/13. Apparently my area didn't get as cold as other areas in Jan 2017 though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doiinko said:

This is a really cool resource! It's fun to go look at past events and see temps from them! Obviously it won't be exact, but it looks like my area peaked at 113 degrees on June 28th, 2021. Coldest temp since I've lived here seems to be 11 degrees on 12/8/13 and 12/9/13. Apparently my area didn't get as cold as other areas in Jan 2017 though.

According to the site's data I pulled off 13 straight sub-freezing lows this Dec-Jan, bottoming out at 10 degrees (my house was slightly colder), and maybe most impressively, Dec 28th had a mean temp of 17.7.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jginmartini said:

Raining on me in La Pine!

Caught this cool site in Nevada yesterday!  Kinda bizarre but apparently I was in the right place at the right time.  Contrail shadow in the sky

670BB3AE-25D2-436D-B9E5-E362BDF1837A.jpeg

You spelt chemtrail wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

According to the site's data I pulled off 13 straight sub-freezing lows this Dec-Jan, bottoming out at 10 degrees (my house was slightly colder), and maybe most impressively, Dec 28th had a mean temp of 17.7.

Most impressive stat I can find for my area is the 36.9° average temp for the winter of 2016/2017.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

For Andrew and Justin.... they endlessly troll me with gems like this.

Screenshot_20220527-191124_Gallery.jpg

I'm probably going to be out in the Palouse and maybe do some hiking in the Blues/Wallowas next month. Quite lovely this time of year when it's green, especially in a wet spring like the one we are having.

We are blessed to live in such a gorgeous region, Tim. Richland notwithstanding.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Even you have said that you would get very depressed with clouds and rain every day.   

If it were every day and all day, yes.

But you’ve said yourself there have been plenty of sun breaks this spring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

I'm probably going to be out in the Palouse and maybe do some hiking in the Blues/Wallowas next month. Quite lovely this time of year when it's green, especially in a wet spring like the one we are having.

We are blessed to live in such a gorgeous region, Tim. Richland notwithstanding.

What about Toppenish?   Not sure if I have even been there but you seem have a real hatred for that place!    Moses Lake and Ritzville too.     Richland is actually one of the nicer cities in Central WA.  👍

kimfetrow2018_DSC_0202-2.jpg

  • Sick 3
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

If it were every day and all day, yes.

But you’ve said yourself there have been plenty of sun breaks this spring.

I am torn.  It has been about as persistently wet as it can be here and it's been unusually cold, but that has also prevented all day marine layer stratus from locking in and that would probably be worse.   At least with this pattern there are some meaningful sun breaks on most days.    Regardless... we probably won't see a spring as bad as this one in terms of persistent rain and cold for quite some time.

  • Like 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2022 at 10:02 AM, BLI snowman said:

Also want a cold, wet Memorial Day weekend so that Tim can send us some nice pictures of Toppenish.

Turns out everyone else on here went east and we are staying put.

So I had to look up Toppenish... and I have been there.  Primarily because there are like 20 wineries and endless vineyards with a few miles.

So I will post some nice pics of Toppenish as you requested and give it some love.   Its not a total sh*thole like you imply.   😁

6.png

sitemgr_photo_215587.jpg

316-scenicwa--best-things-to-do-in-toppenish-washington-city-of-toppenish-4.jpg

 

  • Like 5
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

What about Toppenish?   Not sure if I have even been there but you seem have a real hatred for that place!    Moses Lake and Ritzville too.     Richland is actually one of the nicer cities in Central WA.  👍

kimfetrow2018_DSC_0202-2.jpg

 

I'm definitely in agreement with Andrew... none of the cities in the Columbia Basin are really my jam. I'll throw the Yakima valley in the mix, too. Just a blah mix of run down agricultural communities and wholly artificial looking sprawled out 21st century stuff, like you see in the Tri Cities. Some of the desert landscapes do provide a beautiful contrast with the rest of the region, but really more so in the undeveloped/unfarmed areas than the towns.

I actually quite like SE WA, and Walla Walla is a nice little city with some of the region's best wineries. There you get into the edges of the Palouse, and even the edges of the Basin are quite nice as well, like up towards Grand Coulee. Palouse Falls is a great little stop you should check out on your way to Pullman. Or Ritzville.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

 

I'm definitely in agreement with Andrew... none of the cities in the Columbia Basin are really my jam. I'll throw the Yakima valley in the mix, too. Just a blah mix of run down agricultural communities and wholly artificial looking sprawled out 21st century stuff, like you see in the Tri Cities. Some of the desert landscapes do provide a beautiful contrast with the rest of the region, but really more so in the undeveloped/unfarmed areas than the towns.

I actually quite like SE WA, and Walla Walla is a nice little city with some of the region's best wineries. There you get into the edges of the Palouse, and even the edges of the Basin are quite nice as well, like up towards Grand Coulee. Palouse Falls is a great little stop you should check out on your way to Pullman. Or Ritzville.

I totally get that sentiment about Yakima and most of the cities along that stretch.   But the cities aren't really the point of visiting either.   The desert landscapes and the rolling hills of vineyards and orchards with a backdrop of blue sky and warm sun is the reason for being out there.   Not strip malls in Yakima.   

Richland has the added benefit of a nice marina on the river with nice hotels and a golf course wrapping around them and Anthony's restaurant right there... which makes for a pleasant stay there.   It definitely has a resort feel around Columbia Point.   

  • Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool thing about Corvallis is that it's just 2 hours from Santiam Pass and 2 1/2 hours from Bend. Perfect for a weekend trip.

Been to the Bend area frequently enough the the point where I'm already getting familiar with the Tombstone Pass route (which is a very pretty pass). A bit longer drive to the south will get you to the Rogue Valley as well as the Redwood Coast and Mt Shasta country. It seems very nice down there in the fall if there is no wildfire smoke, which hopefully will be the case this year. Weekend in Ashland or in Crescent City exploring the redwoods sounds very nice.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
9 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Cool thing about Corvallis is that it's just 2 hours from Santiam Pass and 2 1/2 hours from Bend. Perfect for a weekend trip.

Been to the Bend area frequently enough the the point where I'm already getting familiar with the Tombstone Pass route (which is a very pretty pass). A bit longer drive to the south will get you to the Rogue Valley as well as the Redwood Coast and Mt Shasta country. It seems very nice down there in the fall if there is no wildfire smoke, which hopefully will be the case this year. Weekend in Ashland or in Crescent City exploring the redwoods sounds very nice.

Love the route up through Sweet Home and on to Tombstone Pass. Love Santiam Pass and McKenzie Pass too. 

House Rock is a nice campground on the South Fork Santiam River. Years ago my brother and I hiked into Donaca Lake in the Middle Santiam Wilderness and camped. Beautiful little lake in an old growth forest with tons of hungry cutthroat trout. This was 15 years ago, but the route in was pretty rough, covered in downed trees we had to scramble over or under. Had to ford all the streams too. 

  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I totally get that sentiment about Yakima and most of the cities along that stretch.   But the cities aren't really the point of visiting either.   The desert landscapes and the rolling hills of vineyards and orchards with a backdrop of blue sky and warm sun is the reason for being out there.   Not strip malls in Yakima.   

Richland has the added benefit of a nice marina on the river with nice hotels and a golf course wrapping around them... which makes for a pleasant stay there.   It definitely has a resort feel around Columbia Point.   

Yeah, Richland has really nice river access which is probably the main point in its favor besides the 5" of annual rainfall if you're into that sort of thing. And if I were bigger into water sports then I'd probably enjoy it for that alone. 

I will probably be in Palm Springs at Thanksgiving this year, so I should get my quota of posh, desert artificiality then and I'm sure it will all be lovely. It will also open the doors to a 2008 analog, when I went there for Thanksgiving...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

I would take the desert of SE Oregon over the Columbia Basin any day. 

Been to Grand Coulee too. Big dam! 

  • Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, Richland has really nice river access which is probably the main point in its favor besides the 5" of annual rainfall if you're into that sort of thing. And if I were bigger into water sports then I'd probably enjoy it for that alone. 

I will probably be in Palm Springs at Thanksgiving this year, so I should get my quota of posh, desert artificiality then and I'm sure it will all be lovely. It will also open the doors to a 2008 analog, when I went there for Thanksgiving...

We are going to be Palm Springs for a week in early November... and Florida over Thanksgiving.

  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I would take the desert of SE Oregon over the Columbia Basin any day. 

Been to Grand Coulee too. Big dam! 

Out of the two Oregon Great Basin counties I've never been to Harney County and only been to Fort Rock within Lake County. Will go to the Cowboy Dinner Tree and through Silver Lake this summer though. Really want to see more of that country. Some real hidden gems if you go looking for them. Same for northern Nevada.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
Just now, Omegaraptor said:

Never been to Harney County and only been to Fort Rock within Lake County. Will go to the Cowboy Dinner Tree and through Silver Lake this summer though. Really want to see more of that country. Some real hidden gems if you go looking for them. Same for northern Nevada.

Steens and Hart Mtn are worth it.

  • Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

We are going to be Palm Springs for a week in early November... and Florida over Thanksgiving.

We should have a vacation preference thread too. This sounds like hell.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

We are going to be Palm Springs for a week in early November... and Florida over Thanksgiving.

Still have never been to Florida. Don't really have much desire to. The Keys could be okay, I guess.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Still have never been to Florida. Don't really have much desire to. The Keys could be okay, I guess.

Wow... and you are in the hospitality industry IIRC.    We have been there several times in the the winter and spring months but I spent a couple months there for work during the summer many years ago and the daily thunderstorms are quite the experience.   That alone might be worth the trip for you.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wow... and you are in the hospitality industry IIRC.    We have been there several times in the the winter and spring months but I spent a couple months there for work during the summer many years ago and the daily thunderstorms are quite the experience.   That alone might be worth the trip for you.

Might get down to the Caribbean at some point, so I suppose Florida would likely be the launch point for any prospective trip. Just never been keen on any of the cities or touristy things there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wow... and you are in the hospitality industry IIRC.    We have been there several times in the the winter and spring months but I spent a couple months there for work during the summer many years ago and the daily thunderstorms are quite the experience.   That alone might be worth the trip for you.

Bet you loved those heat indices. 🔥 

  • Popcorn 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
Posted (edited)

Can't stop geeking out on the PRISM site. We had 12.26" of rain in a 4 day stretch of February 1996. 

Some other interesting notes looking at the data. Early February 6-12, 1985 looks like it must have been an insane Cascade/Foothills snow dump, also late March 1985. 

Our longest streaks of consecutive sub-freezing highs were a 6 way tie. 6 consecutive in December 2013, December 2009, Jan/Feb 1996, Dec 1990, Feb 1989, Nov 1985. Kind of surprised December 2008 didn't make the list, but there were several 33 degree highs mixed in there. 

This is going back to 1981. Some highlights. 

Feb 2011: 31/12, 32/10

Nov 2010: 24/14

Dec 2009: 25/8, 30/7

Dec 2008: 21/12

Dec 1998: 15/6

Nov 1993: 29/13

Dec 1990: 23/5,8/-1, 11/-1, 21/5, 26/8 2nd blast: 22/4

Feb 1989: 8/-1

Nov 1985: 28/12

Dec 1983: 17/6

 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Like 4
  • Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BLI snowman said:

Might get down to the Caribbean at some point, so I suppose Florida would likely be the launch point for any prospective trip. Just never been keen on any of the cities or touristy things there.

Check out Akumal on the eastern Yucatan. South of Cancun, north of Tulum. Nice, quaint place.

  • Like 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 35F (Dec 27, 2021)
  • Coldest low: 17F (Feb 23, 2022)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 36 (Most recent: Apr 17, 2022)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 5 (Most recent: Jan 17, 2022)
  • Total snowfall: 10.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 30.7"

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

Ended up with a 61/53 day here yesterday. Cool and mostly cloudy with some scattered downpours and showers in the afternoon. There were some very cool clouds later in the day too as mentioned.

  • Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Can't stop geeking out on the PRISM site. We had 12.26" of rain in a 4 day stretch of February 1996. 

Some other interesting notes looking at the data. Early February 6-12, 1985 looks like it must have been an insane Cascade/Foothills snow dump, also late March 1985. 

Our longest streaks of consecutive sub-freezing highs were a 6 way tie. 6 consecutive in December 2013, December 2009, Jan/Feb 1996, Dec 1990, Feb 1989, Nov 1985. Kind of surprised December 2008 didn't make the list, but there were several 33 degree highs mixed in there. 

This is going back to 1981. Some highlights. 

Feb 2011: 31/12, 32/10

Nov 2010: 24/14

Dec 2009: 25/8, 30/7

Dec 2008: 21/12

Dec 1998: 15/6

Nov 1993: 29/13

Dec 1990: 23/5,8/-1, 11/-1, 21/5, 26/8 2nd blast: 22/4

Feb 1989: 8/-1

Nov 1985: 28/12

Dec 1983: 17/6

 

Here are some for my location:

Dec 2013: 28/11, 4 consecutive subfreezing highs.

Feb 2011: 35/17

Dec 2009: 31/16, 32/11, 3 consecutive subfreezing highs.

Nov 2010: 29/18, 32/16

Dec 2008: 28/17, 32/14, 24/20 3 consecutive subfreezing highs.

Dec 1998: 22/9 4 consecutive subfreezing highs.

Dec 1990: 17/6, 18/5 7 consecutive subfreezing highs.

Feb 1989: 15/6 3 consecutive subfreezing highs.

Nov 1985: 18/9 4 consecutive subfreezing highs.

Dec 1983: 21/9, 22/5 5 consecutive subfreezing highs.

Last subfreezing high was on 12/28/21 (31)

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Can't stop geeking out on the PRISM site. We had 12.26" of rain in a 4 day stretch of February 1996. 

Some other interesting notes looking at the data. Early February 6-12, 1985 looks like it must have been an insane Cascade/Foothills snow dump, also late March 1985. 

Our longest streaks of consecutive sub-freezing highs were a 6 way tie. 6 consecutive in December 2013, December 2009, Jan/Feb 1996, Dec 1990, Feb 1989, Nov 1985. Kind of surprised December 2008 didn't make the list, but there were several 33 degree highs mixed in there. 

This is going back to 1981. Some highlights. 

Feb 2011: 31/12, 32/10

Nov 2010: 24/14

Dec 2009: 25/8, 30/7

Dec 2008: 21/12

Dec 1998: 15/6

Nov 1993: 29/13

Dec 1990: 23/5,8/-1, 11/-1, 21/5, 26/8 2nd blast: 22/4

Feb 1989: 8/-1

Nov 1985: 28/12

Dec 1983: 17/6

 

When was the last time we saw a major blast like this in January? All of these are in Nov, Dec and Feb lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Euros definitely cut back on the totals to finish the month here but we still have a good shot to surpass 4” of rain this month. Makes up for it with plenty of rain in the first week of June. 
 Low of 46 this morning. Light rain starting up…3.64” so far this month. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

We should have a vacation preference thread too. This sounds like hell.

And going to Maui in January!   None of it will be hell.   Although I have heard Oklahoma described that way. ;)

  • Weenie 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Euros definitely cut back on the totals to finish the month here but we still have a good shot to surpass 4” of rain this month. Makes up for it with plenty of rain in the first week of June. 
 Low of 46 this morning. Light rain starting up…3.64” so far this month. 

That’s great. If it rains all day today it will really help us get to that 4” mark. I’m rooting for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Swamp said:

That’s great. If it rains all day today it will really help us get to that 4” mark. I’m rooting for you.

Why do you feel the need to be an a**? You don’t see me bothering you when you’re complaining about your garden…or bothering anyone else for that matter. 

  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
1 hour ago, Doiinko said:

When was the last time we saw a major blast like this in January? All of these are in Nov, Dec and Feb lol.

We had a pretty significant arctic blast in January 1980.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

Never been to Florida. Though I do have several options for places to stay both there and Texas since several people I know have recently moved to those places. Thinking about it I haven’t been to many states at all Washington, Oregon, California, Minnesota, and Hawaii. Countries…US, Canada, Mexico. 
I should get out more. 
.01” so far on the day, 5.18” for the month. 
50 and cloudy. 

  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Never been to Florida. Though I do have several options for places to stay both there and Texas since several people I know have recently moved to those places. Thinking about it I haven’t been to many states at all Washington, Oregon, California, Minnesota, and Hawaii. Countries…US, Canada, Mexico. 
I should get out more. 
.01” so far on the day, 5.18” for the month. 
50 and cloudy. 

You’re not alone, I’ve only been to the US and Canada. Don’t have time to travel much, unfortunately.

I’ve been to more US states than you, though. HI WA AZ UT GA FL NC WV VA MD DC DE PA NJ NY RI MA CT NH ME. 😊

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Never been to Florida. Though I do have several options for places to stay both there and Texas since several people I know have recently moved to those places. Thinking about it I haven’t been to many states at all Washington, Oregon, California, Minnesota, and Hawaii. Countries…US, Canada, Mexico. 
I should get out more. 
.01” so far on the day, 5.18” for the month. 
50 and cloudy. 

My wife was counting states the other day... the only states we have never been to are Alaska and Maine.    

  • Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

My wife was counting states the other day... the only states we have never been to are Alaska and Maine.    

If you like western WA you’ll also like Maine. Having been to both places, I can say that, minus the snowcapped Rainier looming in the background, they’re very similar geographically. Conifers dominating the hillsides, a cool marine layer near the coast during the summer, etc.

Only difference is more summer thunderstorms, and blizzards right down to sea level every winter. And summer temps peak a bit later near the coast, often in September.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

I’ve traveled quite a bit in the US. Not so much outside it. My parents used to own a home in Vero Beach, FL so I have been there a few times. I have been to 38 states I believe. Never been to Alaska, Hawaii, or a couple states in the north east and South east. Seems like I’m always on the road, though that has slowed down a bit during the pandemic. All that said, if I had it my way I would never leave home. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...