Jump to content
The Weather Forums

May Winter Continue 2022 PNW


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

Yes, Jan 3-4 2017, Medford had 8" that night. Same one on my signature. It snowed 26 hours in a row (no breaks) east of the cascades. It's actually hard to do 24 hour long snows anywhere in the northwest without some kind of break in the middle. 

Portland's storm was a week after southern Oregon's. The barrage of storms throughout that winter was what made 16-17 really solid. 

PRISM data shows my area having an average temp of 36.9 degrees that winter, so consistently chilly here. 18 inches of snow total, with 13 of that falling in one night. Definitely my favorite winter.

  • Like 1

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

12z GFS shows showers lingering Monday and next weekend looks very damp.

  • Like 2
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK...I can officially say this pattern royally sucks.  Still not more than a rogue nice day here and there anywhere in sight.

  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2021-22 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 14.1"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 12

Total Hail = T

Coldest Low = 15

Lows 32 or below = 53

Highs 32 or below = 5

Lows 20 or below = 4

Highs 40 or below = 23

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Kayla said:

This is just so good to see for the entire NW region as we head into the first week of June.

 Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 10.49.39 AM.png

People really have a twisted sense of what's nice.  Our small window for nice weather up here is shrinking by the day now.  I guess it's fine if you don't like to do things that require dry weather.

When I was hoping for a cold year this is not what I was envisioning.

  • Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2021-22 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 14.1"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 12

Total Hail = T

Coldest Low = 15

Lows 32 or below = 53

Highs 32 or below = 5

Lows 20 or below = 4

Highs 40 or below = 23

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

People really have a twisted sense of what's nice.  Our small window for nice weather up here is shrinking by the day now.  I guess it's fine if you don't like to do things that require dry weather.

When I was hoping for a cold year this is not what I was envisioning.

Some people like it, can definitely  understand those who want it the other way though. It’ll come soon enough I’d bet July-September will be pretty nice. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

According to the PRISM data we hit 107 last June, which makes sense given the park hit 108. 

For comparison this is where we topped out during other big heatwaves:

August 2017: 96

July 2009: 98

July 2006: 99

June 2006: 97

June 1992: 96

September 1988: 96

August 1981: 96

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
44 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

So where will this year's meteorological spring rank in the list of coldest springs?

Probably not that high because March was slightly above normal most places. 

  • scream 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

People really have a twisted sense of what's nice.  Our small window for nice weather up here is shrinking by the day now.  I guess it's fine if you don't like to do things that require dry weather.

When I was hoping for a cold year this is not what I was envisioning.

Yeah, it's not shaping up like 1985. But we can have extended nice weather in September and well into October. 2011 had a pretty pleasant September and October. 2012 was gorgeous in September and early October. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
Posted (edited)

Dang... Sun is out now and the temp is up to 59. 

We'll likely end the month with a an average max around 6-7F below normal, but an average min slightly above normal. So probably around a -3F departure give or take 0.5. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Sick 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Some people like it, can definitely  understand those who want it the other way though. It’ll come soon enough I’d bet July-September will be pretty nice. 

The one thing that makes this climate bearable for me is what we usually have in the mid May through October period.  Still time for it deliver I guess.  The two things I hate the most are lack of cold / snow in the winter and gloom in the spring (in the years where that happens).

Historically speaking very wet periods often lead to very cold periods so that could be on the table at least.

  • Weenie 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2021-22 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 14.1"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 12

Total Hail = T

Coldest Low = 15

Lows 32 or below = 53

Highs 32 or below = 5

Lows 20 or below = 4

Highs 40 or below = 23

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Kayla said:

This is just so good to see for the entire NW region as we head into the first week of June.

 Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 10.49.39 AM.png

Good to see CA still managing rain as well as the eastside. But we really do not need any more rain in the Willamette Valley. Like adding more water to a sopping wet sponge.

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

According to the PRISM data we hit 107 last June, which makes sense given the park hit 108. 

For comparison this is where we topped out during other big heatwaves:

August 2017: 96

July 2009: 98

July 2006: 99

June 2006: 97

June 1992: 96

September 1988: 96

August 1981: 96

The gap between the June 2021 heatwave and anything before it is crazy.

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The one thing that makes this climate bearable for me is what we usually have in the mid May through October period.  Still time for it deliver I guess.  The two things I hate the most are lack of cold / snow in the winter and gloom in the spring (in the years where that happens).

Historically speaking very wet periods often lead to very cold periods so that could be on the table at least.

Let us in Oregon have some of the cold and snow next winter!

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Good to see CA still managing rain as well as the eastside. But we really do not need any more rain in the Willamette Valley. Like adding more water to a sopping wet sponge.

Unfortunately that's not quite true, Eugene is still in moderate drought. Still a bit to go if we're gonna get the upper part of the river in shape. It's better but we need no drought to hopefully keep the fires at bay this year.

  • Like 5

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 35F (Dec 27, 2021)
  • Coldest low: 17F (Feb 23, 2022)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 36 (Most recent: Apr 17, 2022)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 5 (Most recent: Jan 17, 2022)
  • Total snowfall: 10.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 30.7"

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

We should break our all time May rainfall record this weekend, but we will also likely end May with 11 days with no precip. It hasn't been THAT bad, especially the 2nd half of the month. 

  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Wrong, Eugene is still in moderate drought.

The drought monitor isn’t always accurate. Soil moisture is above average on the west side from Roseburg area north. And snowpack is of course well above average.

F6A90BF7-10D3-415A-B807-9296E851CBEC.gif.cc20f9b6d10e7494235b042f9b18af66.gif

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

We should break our all time May rainfall record this weekend, but we will also likely end May with 11 days with no precip. It hasn't been THAT bad, especially the 2nd half of the month. 

11 days sounds wonderful!   

North Bend is going to end up with measurable rain on 54 out of 61 days in April and May.    The normal number of days with measurable rain in that period is 32.       So yeah... its been about as bad as it gets out here in terms of persistent rain.   

  • Weenie 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

11 days sounds wonderful!   

North Bend is going to end up with measurable rain on 54 out of 61 days in April and May.    The normal number of days with measurable rain in that period is 32.       So yeah... its been about as bad as it gets out here in terms of persistent rain.   

Yet we have had more rain relative to average at least. Should end up with about 21-22" combined for April/May. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

People really have a twisted sense of what's nice.  Our small window for nice weather up here is shrinking by the day now. 

Good news is that very persistent rain from April - June is almost always rewarded with a spectacular July - September period in our area.     And the opposite is true as well.    So I am quite confident that we will end up liking this summer into at least early fall.  

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

Looking ahead to June. On the PRISM data our wettest June was 1947 with 8.68" driest June was 1951 with only 0.02" of rain. 

Warmest June: 2021 (63.) #2 1918 (62.9)

Coldest June: 1953 (51.8)

June 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 were all very chilly. 2012 was the last chilly June we have had though... 

  • Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weak offshore in charge out here this morning... as the storm wraps up off the NW OR coast.   The offshore flow is eating away at the clouds and precip as it moves north leaving us dry with some filtered sun.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

People really have a twisted sense of what's nice.  Our small window for nice weather up here is shrinking by the day now.  I guess it's fine if you don't like to do things that require dry weather.

When I was hoping for a cold year this is not what I was envisioning.

I'm sure we'll still have plenty of nice weather later in June into July and August. Will just be nice to not be choking on smoke this early summer after the last two years of fires up and down the West.

  • Like 4

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 119.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16"

Highest snow depth: 20"

Coldest high: -5ºF

Coldest low: -25ºF

Number of subzero days: 1

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

The drought monitor isn’t always accurate. Soil moisture is above average on the west side from Roseburg area north. And snowpack is of course well above average.

F6A90BF7-10D3-415A-B807-9296E851CBEC.gif.cc20f9b6d10e7494235b042f9b18af66.gif

Maybe down towards the airport. Upriver still needs more.

Even still. We're so much better-off than the last several years that it's not gonna be a bad fire year.

  • scream 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 35F (Dec 27, 2021)
  • Coldest low: 17F (Feb 23, 2022)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 36 (Most recent: Apr 17, 2022)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 5 (Most recent: Jan 17, 2022)
  • Total snowfall: 10.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 30.7"

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Looking ahead to June. On the PRISM data our wettest June was 1947 with 8.68" driest June was 1951 with only 0.02" of rain. 

Warmest June: 2021 (63.) #2 1918 (62.9)

Coldest June: 1953 (51.8)

June 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 were all very chilly. 2012 was the last chilly June we have had though... 

 I have said this before... 1951 was just a truly spectacular summer here.  Large diurnal spreads indicate lots of clear skies but there was no extreme heat and there was only 6 days with rain in the entire JJA period in my area.   And the beautiful weather continued all the way until late September.     That was one of the nicest summers I can find in our historical record.    And it happened during the infamous 1950s!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Good news is that very persistent rain from April - June is almost always rewarded with a spectacular July - September period in our area.     And the opposite is true as well.    So I am quite confident that we will end up liking this summer into at least early fall.  

Summer hasn't even begun yet and people are already acting like it's over.🙄 Most signs point to a dry July-Sept and I'm sure this Spring from hell (for some) will be long forgotten by mid July. 

  • Like 5

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 119.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16"

Highest snow depth: 20"

Coldest high: -5ºF

Coldest low: -25ºF

Number of subzero days: 1

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I'm sure we'll still have plenty of nice weather later in June into July and August. Will just be nice to not be choking on smoke this early summer after the last two years of fires up and down the West.

Smoke could still come up from the south. 

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kayla said:

Summer hasn't even begun yet and people are already acting like it's over.🙄 Most signs point to a dry July-Sept and I'm sure this Spring from hell (for some) will be long forgotten by mid July. 

Not if it's another year like 1964.

  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

 I have said this before... 1951 was just a truly spectacular summer here.  Large diurnal spreads indicate lots of clear skies but there was no extreme heat and there was only 6 days with rain in the entire JJA period in my area.   And the beautiful weather continued all the way until late September.     That was one of the nicest summers I can find in our historical record.    And it happened during the infamous 1950s!  

The 1950s were totally awesome in many ways.  Many variations of cold (many of which included a lot sunshine).  After the incredible 1951 summer that winter had a lot of cold weather.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2021-22 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 14.1"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 12

Total Hail = T

Coldest Low = 15

Lows 32 or below = 53

Highs 32 or below = 5

Lows 20 or below = 4

Highs 40 or below = 23

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Smoke could still come up from the south. 

I know you have taken up the devils advocate roll on here but it takes a pretty unique pattern to see smoke from the SW into the PNW and even then it would be short lived.

  • Like 1

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 119.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16"

Highest snow depth: 20"

Coldest high: -5ºF

Coldest low: -25ºF

Number of subzero days: 1

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
13 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Summer hasn't even begun yet and people are already acting like it's over.🙄 Most signs point to a dry July-Sept and I'm sure this Spring from hell (for some) will be long forgotten by mid July. 

It's a testament to how accustomed folks have become around here to blazing sunshine throughout the entirety of May and acting like that's the norm.

It's obviously been wetter and cloudier than usual... But May historically is just not a summer weather month. And neither is the first half of June. Grouping them with July and August just doesn't have a climo basis. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

It's a testament to how accustomed folks have become around here to blazing sunshine throughout the entirety of May and acting like that's the norm.

It's obviously been wetter and cloudier than usual... But May historically is just not a summer weather month. And neither is the first half of June. Grouping them with July and August just doesn't have a climo basis. 

This is a complete exaggeration the other way.    I don't think anyone expects blazing sunshine through all of May.    7 of our 10 wettest Mays in Seattle have happened since 2000.   You are pretending every May for the last 20 years has been nothing but blazing sunshine and now we are finally having a typical May.    Its stupid.   The last 2 months have been quite unusual in terms of cold and persistent rain.   That is just a climo fact.     Even May in years like 1955, 1983, and 1993 had periods of sunny, warm weather.    Its very common.   No such luck this year... hence the negative perceptions.  

  • Rain 1
  • Weenie 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TT-SEA said:

This is a complete exaggeration the other way.    I don't think anyone expects blazing sunshine through all of May.    7 of our 10 wettest Mays in Seattle have happened since 2000.   You are pretending every May for the last 20 years has been nothing but blazing sunshine and now we are finally having a typical May.    Its stupid.   The last 2 months have been quite unusual in terms of cold and persistent rain.   That is just a climo fact.     Even May in years like 1955, 1983, and 1993 had periods of sunny, warm weather.    Its very common.   No such luck this year... hence the negative perceptions.  

Down here in Portland this was our first wet May since 2013, so I think we were due here. In Seattle though it probably is different. In Portland we had a good number of dry days in the second half of the month, but I don't think you guys had as many up North.

  • Like 1

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

And as much as I like to point out that we were simply dew for a wet/cool spring, we are probably equally dew for a dry and ridgy September/October. 

The last really dry September under 1" of precip for PDX was 2014. We've had some warm Septembers since but none of them were wall to wall summer like as they sometimes can be.

2015 was the last time we had a really warm October. 2020 did have a ridgier September and October but September did still end up wet somehow and then the October warmth really wasn't too crazy at all. 

Makes sense that this year will probably go in that direction.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Doiinko said:

Down here in Portland this was our first wet May since 2013, so I think we were due here. In Seattle though it probably is different. In Portland we had a good number of dry days in the second half of the month, but I don't think you guys had as many up North.

Its been more reasonable for the last 7-10 days overall... but we are still missing that very common 4-6 day sunny stretch which happens almost every year in May. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

And as much as I like to point out that we were simply dew for a wet/cool spring, we are probably equally dew for a dry and ridgy September/October. 

The last really dry September under 1" of precip for PDX was 2014. We've had some warm Septembers since but none of them were wall to wall summer like as they sometimes can be.

2015 was the last time we had a really warm October. 2020 did have a ridgier September and October but September did still end up wet somehow and then the October warmth really wasn't too crazy at all. 

Makes sense that this year will probably go in that direction.

Fall of 2012 is calling... I could see persistent ridging like we had that year. Not sure the dam breaks in mid-October as it did that year though. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

I should also point out June 1952 and 1954 were very wet (And 1953 was about average, but the coldest June in the modern era), so it's not like the 50s were full of spectacular June's. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

This is a complete exaggeration the other way.    I don't think anyone expects blazing sunshine through all of May.    7 of our 10 wettest Mays in Seattle have happened since 2000.   You are pretending every May for the last 20 years has been nothing but blazing sunshine and now we are finally having a typical May.    Its stupid.   The last 2 months have been quite unusual in terms of cold and persistent rain.   That is just a climo fact.     Even May in years like 1955, 1983, and 1993 had periods of sunny, warm weather.    Its very common.   No such luck this year... hence the negative perceptions.  

Plenty of really wet and overwhelmingly cloudy or cool Mays around here historically, Tim. Look at Mays like 2011, 2010, 2005, 1998,  1996, 1991, 1984, 1978, 1977, 1974, 1968, 1964, 1962, 1960, 1953. Some of those years maybe had a couple of token warmer days thrown in but in the grand scheme of things the default weather was virtually the same as what it has been this year. It's a pretty common way that May can go in the PNW.

On the flip side.... 2021, 2018, and 2015 all unquestionably had historically dry and sunny stretches in mid to late spring recently and seemed to have skewed some expectations. It is what it is.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
9 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Fall of 2012 is calling... I could see persistent ridging like we had that year. Not sure the dam breaks in mid-October as it did that year though. 

I think we'll see an unusual ridgy stretch at least into October.

Also feeling a significant November cold spell this year. Feels like we are ready.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Plenty of really wet and overwhelmingly cloudy or cool Mays around here historically, Tim. Look at Mays like 2011, 2010, 2005, 1998,  1996, 1991, 1984, 1978, 1977, 1974, 1968, 1964, 1962, 1960, 1953. Some of those years maybe had a couple of token warmer days thrown in but in the grand scheme of things the default weather was virtually the same as what it has been this year. It's a pretty common way that May can go in the PNW.

On the flip side.... 2021, 2018, and 2015 all unquestionably had historically dry and sunny stretches in mid to late spring recently and seemed to have skewed some expectations. It is what it is.

Down here at least I remember 2011 being cloudier than this spring though April and May were not quite as wet. But even when it wasn't raining we had strong onshore flow and clouds. Also that March was a lot wetter and cloudier than this one. 

As chilly as this spring has been, it isn't even close to 2011 either. That spring featured our 2nd coldest April on record and coldest May by a wide margin. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Plenty of really wet and overwhelmingly cloudy or cool Mays around here historically, Tim. Look at Mays like 2011, 2010, 2005, 1998,  1996, 1991, 1984, 1978, 1977, 1974, 1968, 1964, 1962, 1960, 1953. Some of those years maybe had a couple of token warmer days thrown in but in the grand scheme of things the default weather was virtually the same as what it has been this year. It's a pretty common way that May can go in the PNW.

On the flip side.... 2021, 2018, and 2015 all unquestionably had historically dry and sunny stretches in mid to late spring recently and seemed to have skewed some expectations. It is what it is.

In recent memory from your list in 2010 and 2011 in the Snoqualmie Valley... there was a 10-day stretch with no rain in May 2010 and 14 totally dry days in May 2011.      We are aiming for 4 or 5 dry days this month.    Those nice stretches are often buried in cold/wet stats for the month overall but make a big difference in terms of perception.     Even in 1964 we managed 81 degrees on Memorial Day and 87 degrees the next day.

  • Weenie 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

In recent memory from your list in 2010 and 2011 in the Snoqualmie Valley... there was a 10-day stretch with no rain in May 2010 and 14 totally dry days in May 2011.      We are aiming for 4 or 5 dry days this month.    Those nice stretches are often buried in cold/wet stats for the month overall but make a big difference in terms of perception.     Even in 1964 we managed 81 degrees on Memorial Day.   

Where’d you guyz end up going to escape nature’s wrath?

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

Looking at the PRISM data this April was the 7th coldest here since 1895 and 5th wettest. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty nice pattern being shown on the 12Z ECMWF from Tuesday - Saturday.    It looks warm and increasingly humid with multiple chances for convection but with plenty of sun mixed in as well.   

  • Storm 1
  • Weenie 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...