June 2022 Observations and Discussion

Tom

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

The annual cicadas don’t start singing until late June. At first it’s just one or two “scissor grinder” cicadas singing in the evenings, very sparse. Picks up through July, with more daytime singing and swamp cicadas chorusing in the morning as well. By August it’s a constant chorus, from dawn to dusk.

You’ll also hear katydids and crickets at night starting in early/mid July. Those b*tches are loud as heck. You’ll be missing the quiet nights soon enough. :lol: 

I was kind of hoping the indoor crickets would chirp too so I know where to find one. Instead... (watch your feet!) 😜

• lol 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

1 minute ago, Timmy Supercell said:

I was kind of hoping the indoor crickets would chirp too so I know where to find one. Instead... (watch your feet!) 😜

Lmao. Those buggers will find their way inside your walls and ducts. You’ll prob never see them but will definitely hear them. 😂

• Popcorn 1

7 hours ago, Phil said:

The annual cicadas don’t start singing until late June. At first it’s just one or two “scissor grinder” cicadas singing in the evenings, very sparse. Picks up through July, with more daytime singing and swamp cicadas chorusing in the morning as well. By August it’s a constant chorus, from dawn to dusk.

You’ll also hear katydids and crickets at night starting in early/mid July. Those b*tches are loud as heck. You’ll be missing the quiet nights soon enough. :lol: 

Mockingbirds sing all night too, but mainly in the spring when you must throw objects in the trees to get a good night's sleep. 

• lol 1

It was an absolutely gorgeous day yesterday...it literally felt like I was in the valley of PHX, but without the green vegetation.  We had pristine blue skies pretty much all day long with very low DP's/Humidity levels...in fact, ORD tied a record low humidity level for the month of June.  That's an interesting stat to reach in what is usually a wet month.

image.png

• Like 1

The following work week looks active and wet across the majority of our C/S Sub...quite the cut-off from N/S across the IA/MN border per the 0z Euro...

3.png

Not quite with the 0z GFS...

gfs_apcpn_us_28.png

Next weekend will feature a +PNA pattern which usually sets up a NW Flow Pattern and that is what will happen.  Unusually chilly air will be draped across our entire Sub, all awhile, a Monster 591dm SW Ridge fires up insane Heat for the SW.  This is brutal heat and likely will prompt Heat Warnings for next weekend.

image.png

image.png

• Like 5
  • scream 1

Is there relief heading for the SW/4 corners???  Hang in there, bc it appears that nature is getting the "cue" to fire up the Monsoon like clockwork.  The official start to the Monsoon is June 15th and wouldn't ya know it, the models are hinting at this signal!  #awesomeness

image.gif

• Like 2

Yesterdays official H/L at Grand Rapids was 76/50 there was a trace of rain fall early in the day. The clouds broke up and there was 85% of possible sunshine. The overnight low both here at my house and officially at GRR was 47. The average H/L for today is 76/55 the record high is 93 set in 1925 and the record low is 32 set in 1945. That is the latest last low of 32 at Grand Rapids. Last year the H/L was 87/64 and that was the start of a 10-day period of much above average days. There were 7 days with highs in the upper 80’s and 2 with highs of 90. Lows were in the mid to upper 60’s.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thunder98 said:

Lol there's a frost advisory tonight in Northern WI and parts of MI

In northern Lower Michigan some lows last this morning (June 4th) were Grayling 28, Cadillac 33 Pellston 31. It was much warmer here at my house with 47. 

• Snow 1

Next 10 days look beautiful here. Low/mid 80s with comfortable dewpoints in the 50s/60s. Multiple chances at convection as well.

Gonna enjoy this while it lasts. Tropical forcing begins its return to the E-Hem mid-month, likely culminating in a hot/nasty pattern for much of the central and eastern US.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:59 PM, CentralNebWeather said:

Low down to 44 tonight. Is this really June?  

LNK recorded a low of 42 Thursday morning which broke the daily record of 43 and only 3 short of the monthly record. Can probably add at least 5 degrees for non-airport areas of the city. Definitely want to get another PWS once I live somewhere more permanent. I loved having one back in high school with my parents. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

6 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Another swing and a miss forecast last night. Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued with a high probability of rain, wind, and hail. Not one drop. It is really hard to miss on a forecast this badly. 

You may have another chance tonight with the upgrade to a b enhanced risk near your place.

image.png.0c8cd02a741b9c9f8bbffa1d1d087909.png

• Like 2

Yesterdays official H/L at Grand Rapids was 71/56 there was no rain fall and 39% of possible sunshine. The overnight low here was 55 and there has been 0.20” of rain fall as of 10AM. For today the average H/L is 77/56 the record high was 95 set in 1925 and the record low is 36 is 1945. Last year the H/L was 87/67.

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

You may have another chance tonight with the upgrade to a b enhanced risk near your place.

image.png.0c8cd02a741b9c9f8bbffa1d1d087909.png

We will need all we can get this week, as we still are in drought. The upcoming pattern later in June looks like a massive ridge, which might spell a hot and dry pattern. That would be a disaster scenario. We just can’t afford to miss when predictions are 80% or higher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

06z GFS was showing a similar pattern that Phil was discussing setting up around mid-month with a fairly large ridge setting up over the center/SE CONUS leading to some awfully warm temperatures for many of us. 

After the chillier than normal period leading up to this, might be nice to have some more summer-like temperatures set in for a bit. 

gfs_z500a_namer_51.png

sfct.conus.png

Yeah MJO thru p8/1/2 under in situ low AAM/-ENSO background state is one of the strongest warm signals possible in mid/late June. Reminds me of 2012 a bit.

Duration is debatable, but tropical forcing seems to get stuck in that p1/p2 sector on the EPS, so could last a few weeks at least.

• Like 1

Friday nite was definitely a chilly one. Lows dipped down to 44F here in Macomb. Even upper 40s in Metro Detroit. No records were broken though.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

21 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Getting rocked in Central Nebraska. No hail here, though many reports NW of me. 

So it actually does rain there? :lol: 

We are getting a nice, gentle soaker tonight.  A couple of the little, bubbly, heavier showers have produced some thunder, so I have officially received my first thunderstorm since, I think, mid April.

• Like 5

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Here is a summery of meteorological spring 2022 for Grand Rapids. The mean temperature was 47.1 that is a departure from average of -0.4 degrees. The average H/L was 56.2/38. The high for the spring season was 87 on May 11,12 and 13. The low was 12 on March 12. There were 0 days of 90 or better. There were 4 days of highs of 32 or less. On 35 nights the low fell to 32 or less. There was 12.76” of rain and melted snow. That is a departure of +2.38” There was 6.4” of snow fall and that is -3.2” below average. For the season there was a total of 71.0” and that is -6.6” below average. In the spring season there were 21 days of a trace of snow fall and on 2 days 1” or more fell. The most on the ground was just 1” on March 11,13 and 13. There was just 35% of possible sunshine.

• Like 3

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 71/55. There was a reported 0.03” of rain fall and just 12% of possible sunshine. The overnight low here at my house was 60 and at the current time with cloudy skies it is 61. For today the average H/L is 77/56 the record high of 95 was set in 1925 the record low of 37 was set in 1958. Last year the H/L was 89/69.

7 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

IMG_0602.MOV 56.99 MB · 2 downloads  

Getting rocked in Central Nebraska. No hail here, though many reports NW of me. 

I'm thrilled to see you got nailed last night...your patience was reward kindly from nature! Look for more rounds this week as a "Ring of Fire" pattern settles in along with the NW Flow.  I hope to cash in one of these days on a good storm.

Meanwhile, the GFS/GGEM were showing the blazing Heat pushing N & E but the blocking is saying "nasso fast"...I will say, that I'll welcome more days in the 80's and a more seasonal pattern next week.  Hope it happens b/c after this chilly week around here my body will be yearning for warmer days.

1.gif

• Like 4

I received a real nice 1.48" overnight and this morning.  Many locations around Cedar Rapids got at least that much.

• Like 5

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

High of 95 today.  
Friday will bring 100* and thunderstorms!  
That will be just awful.  Potential for severe weather.  
Swell.  🫤

• scream 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

21 minutes ago, Andie said:

High of 95 today.  
Friday will bring 100* and thunderstorms!  
That will be just awful.  Potential for severe weather.  
Swell.  🫤

My area (I’m currently in Dallas, TX) is expecting more severe storms later this week. 

• Like 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted