June 2022 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Nice dark thunderheads in the area. Quite stationary and not over me.  I may get lucky around 7 tonight. We’ll see how they develop.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

On 6/12/2022 at 3:49 AM, Tom said:

Meantime, while most of us embrace Summer wx, our Yooopers up North didn't get the memo as they are hovering near Freezing on June 12th!

Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 5.46.16 AM.png

Another local near MQT...

image.png

Genuinely jealous.

• Like 3

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Beautiful day here! High in the mid-70s with dewpoints in the 40s. Huge relief after yesterday reached 99°F with a dewpoint in the 70s.

Tomorrow and Monday look spectacular as well. Going to enjoy it while it lasts, as Tuesday sees the heat return.

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

Clouds saved us this afternoon and evening.  No rain but a nice dip to 93 at 7:30 tonight. 

They’re still forecasting 2 weeks of 100-104.   Someone bring me a nice hurricane, please. 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

9 hours ago, Phil said:

Beautiful day here! High in the mid-70s with dewpoints in the 40s. Huge relief after yesterday reached 99°F with a dewpoint in the 70s.

Tomorrow and Monday look spectacular as well. Going to enjoy it while it lasts, as Tuesday sees the heat return.

Same here...it was a spectacular day here with 100% sunshine and a high temp of 71F.   People were out and about enjoying Ribfest and all the other outdoor events/festivals.  The lake breeze certainly kept things cool along the shore as temps only made it into the 60's.  It got kinda chilly as the sun began to set I had to put on a long sleeve.  Today is the last day before the Heat returns.  Enjoy it bud!

Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful Dad's out there....stay blessed!

• Like 3

Happy Father’s Day!

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 76/52 there was no rain and there was 97% of possible sunshine. The overnight low in MBY was 50 and the official overnight low looks to be 51 at GRR. At the current time it is clear and 52 here. For today the average H/L is 81/59 the record high is 98 set in 1853 and the record low of 45 was set in 1926 and 1945. Last year the H/L was 76/63. Today should be the last cool day for a while with highs next week mostly in the upper 80’s to low 90’s

• Like 2

Happy Father's Day!  Great weather here this morning as the low dropped to 69 and the dew point is 58.  Nice Day ahead with a high around 90.  Oppressive heat returns Monday and Tuesday then maybe a cold front and some rain by mid week.

• Like 3

Happy Father’s Day Gentlemen!  ❤️

• Like 3

It's difficult to beat mid to late June mornings with a dewpoint in the 40s.

• Like 5
  • Popcorn 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

15 hours ago, Tom said:

Same here...it was a spectacular day here with 100% sunshine and a high temp of 71F.   People were out and about enjoying Ribfest and all the other outdoor events/festivals.  The lake breeze certainly kept things cool along the shore as temps only made it into the 60's.  It got kinda chilly as the sun began to set I had to put on a long sleeve.  Today is the last day before the Heat returns.  Enjoy it bud!

Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful Dad's out there....stay blessed!

Man that sounds like perfection.

• Like 2

77/46 today. I bet all of the next 2 months are over 80. 

Here comes cicada and skeeter season. 🤪

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

11 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

77/46 today. I bet all of the next 2 months are over 80. 

Here comes cicada and skeeter season. 🤪

In about 2 weeks the Katydids start singing at night, as well. You’ll know it as soon as you hear them, it’s unmistakable.

The cicadas start to exponentially increase around that time as well. The ones coming out now are early stragglers (I’ve only heard one so far).

• Excited 1

On 6/17/2022 at 3:53 AM, Tom said:

"Ring of Fire"...the quintessential Summer Time High Pressure that churns up the Heat...boy, I feel for ya @Andie @OKwx2k4 @Iceresistance and the rest of you that are going to Blaze in the Heat into next week...

1.gif

Meanwhile, those of us on the northern periphery of the HP will begin to see storm chances to rise on the evening of the official day of Summer (21st)...the Monsoonal Flow coming out of the SW will ride E/NE into CO and into the Plains late next Tue into Wed...another repeat heavy RN scenario near NE/KS/MO??  Who will score this time?

1.gif

That top image would be beautiful if it wasn't so miserable.

That's a textbook omega high rolled into heat dome.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Man that sounds like perfection.

No doubt about it...after I ate a big feast for dinner, I was just laying out on my comfy furniture on my deck listening to the birds singing and the smells of summer...

• Like 3

On 6/18/2022 at 7:25 AM, Andie said:

Tom,   How bad is it going to get in Texas?  Really. 

It really doesn't look that good for the rest of this month for TX...if your lucky, the troughs that I see coming down through the heartland will have a devil of a time to press into TX.  I'm sure you'll get some breaks here and there but overall it looks very warm for the Summer.  Precip in your area will come and go but those just north across the border in OK and points north in the heartland look golden next month.  @Iceresistance @OKwx2k4

CFSv2 temp trends next month...seasonal & spotty areas of BN temps are looking pretty good...

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.202207.gif

Precip overall is going to be enhances as the predominant NW Flow aloft will keep the CF's coming down out of Canada...

summaryCFSv2.NaPrec.202207.gif

Man, while precip chances look spotty across the ag belt and GL's during this coming work week, the 4 corners area is going to be Blessed from Mother Nature.  What a beautiful sight to see!

1.png

2.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Changes in the wx pattern are brewing and the EPS is playing catch up quickly.  The GEFS saw these changes early on, in fact, the JMA was the 1st LR model to sniff out this trough.  All the models are trending colder for next Sat/Sun, esp down the leeside of the Rockies.

@CentralNebWeather @gabel23 @hawkstwelveand the NE crew I'm sure are ready...

1.gif

0z GEFS Temp trends for the  current 6-10 day period...remember the Blow Torch warmth in early forecasts???  See ya!

image.gif

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

On the Eve of astronomical Summer, are you thinking of next Autumn...or Winter?  Ya, I know, lets get through summer first but I always have a keen eye on the cold season this time of year.  I'm sure there are some peeps on here lurking at the LR seasonal models.  I remember last year and the year before, the CFS/CFSv2 did a phenomenal job wrt to the long lead SST forecasts.  The current SST outlook suggests a beautiful pattern for the eastern CONUS.

OND...the Heart of Autumn and when the LRC evolves...ENSO neutral and a "Ring of Fire" in the NE PAC...where do I sign???  Stay cool my friends...

glbSSTSeaInd4.gif

DJF...

glbSSTSeaInd6.gif

• Like 2

This weekend weather was spectacular. All ya wanted to do is stay outdoors the whole time. Highs were in the upper 60s on Saturday w/ lows in the 40s and dewpts were into the low 30s. Sunday was more of the same. Just phenomenal weather for this time of the year. Now comes the heat and humidity and looks like it will last all week.

Oh, went to NYC for a couple of days last week. I will post a couple of pics later on this afternoon. Took them from the plane flying right over the city.

Good week everyone!

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Yesterday was a great summer day with lots of sunshine and comfortable temperatures. The official H/L at Grand Rapids was 80/51 there was no rain fall and 82% of possible sunshine. The overnight low here in MBY was mild 65 at the current time with clear skies it is 67 here at my house. For today the average H/L is 80/60 the record high of 102 was in 1953 and the record low of 41 was in 1970.  This week still looks to be on the hot to very warm side with highs in the mid to  upper 80’s on most days with mid 90’s possible on Tuesday.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Changes in the wx pattern are brewing and the EPS is playing catch up quickly.  The GEFS saw these changes early on, in fact, the JMA was the 1st LR model to sniff out this trough.  All the models are trending colder for next Sat/Sun, esp down the leeside of the Rockies.

@CentralNebWeather @gabel23 @hawkstwelveand the NE crew I'm sure are ready...

1.gif

0z GEFS Temp trends for the  current 6-10 day period...remember the Blow Torch warmth in early forecasts???  See ya!

image.gif

Agreed brother, this period from the end of June to mid-July looks relatively troughy and dynamic, and much less hot overall. 😎

Could be some nice convective activity as well with plenty of shortwave troughs and cool fronts to force lift. Reminds me of last year to some extent, which was amazing for thunderstorm outbreaks here. Numerous shortwaves dove right into Appalachia and sparked deep convection w/ prolific overnight lightning shows. 

Hope we can take advantage of this pattern change while it lasts. Towards late July and August that MJO/LP signal constructively interferes in the IO domain, which is the penultimate CONUS death ridge signal. 😕 Hoping for the best but fully expecting the worst during that timeframe.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2022 at 4:21 AM, Tom said:

You win some, you loose some...glad to hear your on the winning side of things.  I've been lucky also and was getting hit during every opportunity that came about.  How's your garden doing?

Potatoes and tomatoes are doing great! Little concerned for the cucumbers I'm hoping they come around. They are up and growing just looks like they have a little blight! Thanks for asking! 

• Like 1

LNK "only" hit 95 for this heat wave. Probably traded lower temps for higher humidity, but 103/65 like last week isn't exactly pleasant either. And now the forecast doesn't look as dreadful at least, Friday at 97 looks to be the bad day. 

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

18 hours ago, Tom said:

It really doesn't look that good for the rest of this month for TX...if your lucky, the troughs that I see coming down through the heartland will have a devil of a time to press into TX.  I'm sure you'll get some breaks here and there but overall it looks very warm for the Summer.  Precip in your area will come and go but those just north across the border in OK and points north in the heartland look golden next month.  @Iceresistance @OKwx2k4

CFSv2 temp trends next month...seasonal & spotty areas of BN temps are looking pretty good...

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.202207.gif

Precip overall is going to be enhances as the predominant NW Flow aloft will keep the CF's coming down out of Canada...

summaryCFSv2.NaPrec.202207.gif

Man, while precip chances look spotty across the ag belt and GL's during this coming work week, the 4 corners area is going to be Blessed from Mother Nature.  What a beautiful sight to see!

1.png

2.png

Ain’t it just like us to get shut out. We’re left praying for a hurricane again this year.  😢

12 hours ago, Clinton said:

Nice summer day, currently 88 with a Heat Index of 89.  The hottest day so far this year on tap for tomorrow with temps rising to 100.

Oddly enough, we topped out at 95F at ORD and I will admit it didn't feel all that bad with the nice breeze and comfortable DP's.  Today, however, we make a run at the Century mark (100F) with increasing humidity but not as humid as last week.  Kinda of an up/down week wrt to the humidity but mostly AN temp until later in the weekend.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andie said:

Ain’t it just like us to get shut out. We’re left praying for a hurricane again this year.  😢

I was talking to my cousin who lives in DFW and asked him what he's paying for his electric bill and I was shocked to hear it was around $400to $450/month.  I asked, "what temp do you keep it inside?"...he said 74F...that's pretty chilly if you ask me, esp during the daytime when the A/C is working overtime.  I could understand at nighttime to get a comfy sleep.  Heck, even up here I don't keep it below 76F during the day when we are 90F+.  

What temp do you keep it inside your house?

Both the Euro/UKIE providing some timely rains over parts of the central Plains through this weekend...it goes without saying, but what is transpiring in the 4 corners has been advertised a long time ago per the CFS/CFSv2.  What a win in that department.

2.png

1.png

Thinking about the 4th of July?  Who will Fry and who will not?  I'm really digging what the LR models are showing as we enter a NW Flow pattern starting this weekend and will continue into July.  One thing I'm noticing with this year's summer pattern so far, at least up here and across the MW/Upper MW, are that the DP's are not stuck in the oppressive humid levels for days on end compared to recent years.  It's been a transient pattern. 

This 0z Euro animation of the DP forecast looks to continue that theme to close out the month of June....

1.gif

Finally, the all important holiday forecast is looking beautiful around the GL's region, nasso good in terms of relief for TX/OK...

3.png

@Madtown...might be pretty "Icy" cold up near Lake Superior...Dare I say, "A Bonafide Bon Fire wx pattern"....

3.png

2.gif

• Like 6

It's official, we have now entered astronomical Summer!  Welcome Summer and the longest day of the year...and wouldn't ya know it, as if nature timed the hottest day of the year on the 1st day of Summer.  I'm actually rooting for us to hit 100F today.

• Like 5

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 87/63 there was no rain fall and there was 73% of possible sunshine. The state high yesterday was way up in the UP at both Houghton and Iron Mountain where the high reached 98. At Houghton that 98 was the 2nd warmest ever reported in the month of June there.

Here at my house the overnight low was 61 the official overnight low at GRR was 68. At the current time it is clear and 73 here and 75 at GRR. For today the average H/L is 81/60 the record high of 98 was recorded in 1988 and the record low of 40 was in 1969.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom said:

I was talking to my cousin who lives in DFW and asked him what he's paying for his electric bill and I was shocked to hear it was around $400to $450/month.  I asked, "what temp do you keep it inside?"...he said 74F...that's pretty chilly if you ask me, esp during the daytime when the A/C is working overtime.  I could understand at nighttime to get a comfy sleep.  Heck, even up here I don't keep it below 76F during the day when we are 90F+.  

What temp do you keep it inside your house?

Wow, that’s high.   Depends on how big his place is. Pool, workshop, etc.  

But I have a 13 yr old House about 2300 sq ft., well insulated, e-windows.
south wall has a lot of glass.  And my June bill was $185.  
Set at 73*.  The heat and humidity make us set temps lower or you can’t pull this humidity out. 

Now, we can contract with different providers in Texas and I shop and compare.  If he isn’t doing this it’s a mistake.  A site called Power to Choose is a start to do that.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andie said:

EPS weeklies hi temp matrix for Dallas/Ft Worth is brutal.

Almost every ensemble member projects 100+ heat into Aug. Some members don’t have a single day below 100°F for the next 46 days. :o 

1FF18185-DF32-421B-803C-4A8059E14E62.jpeg

• scream 2
  • Sick 2

Blistering hot currently w/ a tmp of 97F, but w no humidity. Dew is at 57F atm, which is fairly comfortable. Not a cloud to be found. Deep blue sunny skies. First day of Summer is really showing it. here in S Mi and plenty of other places, as this  omega pattern sits over us.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"