June 2022 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Well, Im happy for those who received  rain in this vital time of the growing season. Here in the Ottumwa, IA area its looking more and more like dejavu 2017, that year we had about about or less than 3 inches may 15 thru mid September while many areas not far away were green and lush! 

These past few days of "opportunities" i got .26 a few sprinkles, but mostly  a caboose  cell  on tail end of ne iowa downpours. So for June with much above normal temps im sitting  at 1.57 and  barely  any for 15 days. I have read this book before and have studied  the midwest  climate records, Ottumwa,  Kirksville,  Peoria is the bermuda triangle of whats already a area of wild precip  swings (midwest).  SE Iowa, NE Mo has the wildest precip swings year to year month to month within  the midwest. A very tough place to do lawn care and hobby farming of fruits, vegetables.  Corn and beans genetics  have  seemed to get those crops through  better. But  this year with late planting from record cold soil  temps, imo the bean crop may be heading  for a disaster.  I have spent maybe 20 hours watering  65 trees and acres of other plants. Im not happy.   My only dislike about  se iowa over my previous life in Pennsylvania  and Maryland where 10 days  with no precip  is "extreme" here thats  common, even 20 days no rain is common  here!

Screenshot_20220625-152812_Gallery.jpg

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Currently 97 with a Heat Index of 108.  Models don't look great for rain here tonight even with the strong cold front moving through.  

Wow Clinton, that’s rough. My brother in Shawnee texted me the other day saying how hot and humid KC has been for weeks with very few breaks. It is only 77 here with a 50 dew and north winds of 25 mph as of 5 pm. We have not been very humid so far this year, probably thanks to the ongoing drought. Our high dews usually come in the next 6-8 weeks as the crops start putting off water and center pivot irrigation gets in full gear. 

• Like 2

Topped out 101*.  😣

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

They’re talking a moderate chance of rain tomorrow. That’s exciting.  Mon/Tues better chances. 
Temps 90-92.  Awesome. 

Tropics getting interesting rather early. We’ll see if this system can make it into the Gulf.  

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Lightning bugs going crazy here tonight. Haven’t seen this many in years. Thousands of them lighting up in the trees every second.

• Like 6
  • Popcorn 1

2 things went down, both eastern Kentucky's radar and then DWU stopped reporting observations at 2pm. What gives? lol

I couldn't grab the high yesterday but looks like we just barely might have hit 90. Low was 57. Clouds were rolling during the peak of the day and could see some tall cumulus looming around. 

Some lightning bugs here but I'd have to see a video from Phil to see how many he's talking about. ;)

• Like 3

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

"The Hav's and Have Not's" of summery rains....parts of N & E IA did quite well and into N KS over the past 2 days...

image.png

image.png

Nature seemingly is filling in the "holes" and giving S KS into C MO some rains overnight... @Clintonyou get anything?

Nice to see the corn belt region of IL get pounded by some strong/severe storms...doesn't look like any big hail or damaging wind reports downstate...these are surely some timely rains where the drought conditions have creeped in of late.

bdf58a14ad9a966e2cfd8e003f63a79a.png

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=lotrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=75&interval=10&year=2022&month=6&day=25&hour=19&minute=15

• Like 3

Isn't it really amazing to see how nature can balance things in a hurry?  My gosh, but NM has been getting inundated by Monsoonal rains this past month.  Here is the latest Drought Monitor...

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 5.22.28 AM.png

This is what has transpired thus far over the last 30 days....it would have been unthinkable to see this transpire not long ago.  What if, that after this Monsoon season,  we witness the drought completely, or at the very least, reverse course.  Can you imagine?

image.png

image.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tom said:

"The Hav's and Have Not's" of summery rains....parts of N & E IA did quite well and into N KS over the past 2 days...

image.png

image.png

Nature seemingly is filling in the "holes" and giving S KS into C MO some rains overnight... @Clintonyou get anything?

Nice to see the corn belt region of IL get pounded by some strong/severe storms...doesn't look like any big hail or damaging wind reports downstate...these are surely some timely rains where the drought conditions have creeped in of late.

bdf58a14ad9a966e2cfd8e003f63a79a.png

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=lotrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=75&interval=10&year=2022&month=6&day=25&hour=19&minute=15

Getting some light rain right now, so far only a trace has fallen.  The more beneficial rains are falling just south of me but close enough I can here a few rumbles of thunder.  I might be able to get a 1/4 of an inch this morning. 

• Like 2

06/26/2022

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 86/63 and while there was some rain fall it was not much as just officially only 0.04” fell and here at my house just 0.03” fell. There was less sunshine then the past few days as there was just 44% of possible sunshine. To the east where there was more sun it reached 90 at Lansing.  And to the west where there was less sun it the highs were in the low 80’s at Holland and Muskegon. The overnight low both in MBY and the official low so far at Grand Rapids was 70. At this time it is 70 here with mostly cloudy skies.  For today the average H/L at Grand Rapids is 81/61 the record high for today is just 94 set in 1941 and the record low is 43 set in 1902. The up coming week looks to still be dry with a cool start on Monday and then becoming warm again with how dry it has become it can get rather cool and then very warm. Think 1988.

• Like 1

Yeah Tom !  Clint and I are watching this closely.  Hoping we see rain. The dip in the heat will be welcome. Pretty brutal here.  
You don’t even see the birds despite putting water out.  I think they’ve all left for the lake 1/4 mi.away.  

They’re talking a moderate chance of rain tomorrow. That’s exciting.  Mon/Tues better chances. 
Temps 90-92.  Awesome. 

Cloudy this morning!  76*… 76 !!!!  40% chance of rain tonight between 8 & midnight.

Tropics getting interesting rather early. We’ll see if this system can make it into the Gulf.  

CC770D6F-1FA8-48AB-B3CA-ED20C7664F8A.jpeg

• Like 3

Guess what's back up! Just in time for the mid day storms.. 

KJKL_loop (16).gif

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

We’ll, not a great hope for rain but there is relief ahead. 

981564DD-0FE1-4142-8CE1-DC54BEA85A93.jpeg

• Like 2
  • scream 1

Upper 80's and now overcast with a vicinity rumbler to the north. That cell will miss us, but some smaller convection is forming to the west.

Today seems a couple degrees cooler than yesterday. 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Another cell came through and briefly rained here but I wasn't in the direct center of it. That's now producing lightning a bit to the SE. 

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

@PhilWhat do you think about the early July storms? I don't believe I've ever experienced a thunderstorm on the 4th of July and want this to be the year!

I had ones land very close, 7/5/2015 and 7/3/2008 in Oregon. 

2022-06-26 15_34_48-Window.png

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

No rainfall in sight. CF will rollon through my area today, but it will be unnoticeable, as any shower activity dissipates, as it moved eastwards towards S MI. Also, some very cool air coming as well. Highs tomorrow in the upper 60s and maybe a few low 70s in spots and overnight lows will bottom down into the chilly 40s. Loads of sunshine right through at least Wednesday. Hopefully some rainfall by weeks end as it turns more humid and quite hot.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

2 hours ago, Timmy Supercell said:

@PhilWhat do you think about the early July storms? I don't believe I've ever experienced a thunderstorm on the 4th of July and want this to be the year!

I had ones land very close, 7/5/2015 and 7/3/2008 in Oregon. 

2022-06-26 15_34_48-Window.png

Quite a ways out but I think there’s a decent chance for some convection. Looks like there’ll be a front in the vicinity, which is how summer storms typically come about in these parts.

• Storm 1

I’ve noticed the GFS has often been wildly divergent from its own ensemble mean (and other guidance) over the Plains and SE US in recent weeks. Usually after D5/D6.

Seems to over-do cool advection over the Plains/Midwest, and builds heights excessively over the Intermountain West. I’m finding it almost useless at this point. Has led me astray multiple times.

• Like 1

Drove through a pretty good downpour on the way home. Didn’t rain here, though.

Relatively comfortable evening. Low 80s, dewpoint ~ 70. Could certainly be worse. 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Drove through a pretty good downpour on the way home. Didn’t rain here, though.

Relatively comfortable evening. Low 80s, dewpoint ~ 70. Could certainly be worse. 

According to NWS Jackson, it was worse now in 1988. I think it was a week straight of days at or near 100, I hope that wave came with storms. lol

• Sun 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Perfect out here this evening. 60s and clear with a slight NW breeze. No humidity. Almost fall like. Busy day but was still able to get burgers, hotdogs and sweetcorn on the Weber. Got the hammock set up in the backyard finally as well. Bit late but will be nice to relax in on the cooler days and during the fall🙂

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

According to NWS Jackson, it was worse now in 1988. I think it was a week straight of days at or near 100, I hope that wave came with storms. lol

Lol. Oh it can get much worse. Especially in the humidity department.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

The last couple days have been absolutely beautiful. Summer perfection. Today topped out at 77 after a high of 79 yesterday. DPs are also much lower (40s/50s) so it's been much more pleasant in that regard as well. 

Looks like we start climbing back up to mid 90s by Wednesday before cooling back down into the 80s. At least no extended heat event on the horizon at the moment. Although I feel like the switch will flip back on by mid-July.

70's in late June, let's switch places 😜

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Had some pop up “storms” tonight. Heard thunder and at first it didn’t register. 
I went out on the covered patio just listen and smell the rain.  Big thunderheads we’re lighting up all over the horizon.  
Heaven after a very long hot cloudless stretch.  No rain to speak of but what a treat!  
Still lightning out there. Gotta love it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

The last couple days have been absolutely beautiful. Summer perfection. Today topped out at 77 after a high of 79 yesterday. DPs are also much lower (40s/50s) so it's been much more pleasant in that regard as well. 

Looks like we start climbing back up to mid 90s by Wednesday before cooling back down into the 80s. At least no extended heat event on the horizon at the moment. Although I feel like the switch will flip back on by mid-July.

I’m already scared about late July & August.

Analog pools are nasty nasty nasty.

• Like 1

Line of weak thunderstorms came through and woke me up with heavy downpours. Started out with not a lot of flashing, but that picked up after a little. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

6 hours ago, james1976 said:

Perfect out here this evening. 60s and clear with a slight NW breeze. No humidity. Almost fall like. Busy day but was still able to get burgers, hotdogs and sweetcorn on the Weber. Got the hammock set up in the backyard finally as well. Bit late but will be nice to relax in on the cooler days and during the fall🙂

Hasn't it been nice?  It was a wonderful day yesterday with daytime temps mostly in the mid/upper 70's, comfy DP's and a stiff NW breeze.  Man, I could get used to this.  This coming week is suggesting more of the same till a brief spike in temps on Thu before a CF sweeps through on Fri.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 3.30.25 AM.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Andie said:

Had some pop up “storms” tonight. Heard thunder and at first it didn’t register. 
I went out on the covered patio just listen and smell the rain.  Big thunderheads we’re lighting up all over the horizon.  
Heaven after a very long hot cloudless stretch.  No rain to speak of but what a treat!  
Still lightning out there. Gotta love it. 

I just imagine what you were experiencing...don't you just love watching nature?  That's what I do out in AZ during the Monsoon season when I have unobstructed views for miles into the mountains.  Then the smells of rains commence when the outflows come rushing down into the valley....ahhh, I miss it actually.

Andie, the 0z Euro is still gun-ho for your area during the Holiday weekend...

1.png

• Like 2

All in all, our Nation should enjoy seasonal temps for the big Holiday weekend...except for TX/OK, no Big Heat but there are some nice pockets of BN temps, especially for the Intermountain & West/4 corners region where it's been a bonafide Monsoon season this year.  How many years in a row have we seen Cali/OR/WA baking in the Heat during the 4th of July?  It's nice to see those folks enjoying some cooler wx.  The Yoopers look rather chilly!  I'm sure the icy water of Lake Superior won't help.

image.png

Some difference between the EPS/GEFS were the strongest convection sets up over the Holiday weekend but a clear signal is showing it will generally be from I-80 on south.

image.gif

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 3.59.52 AM.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I just imagine what you were experiencing...don't you just love watching nature?  That's what I do out in AZ during the Monsoon season when I have unobstructed views for miles into the mountains.  Then the smells of rains commence when the outflows come rushing down into the valley....ahhh, I miss it actually.

Andie, the 0z Euro is still gun-ho for your area during the Holiday weekend...

1.png

We are all hoping for a big change. Cooler and some rain.   
I understand your love of AZ.  I’m married to an Arizona boy and he misses the mountains and storms.  
I’m not a desert fan but the storms are crackin’ good!  
We are dangerously dry.  
I’m surprised we haven’t seen more wildfires, but it’s early yet.  I’m hoping for a few tropical depressions to stir up the atmosphere so farmers, ranchers and heat crazed city slickers can settle down.  

73 this AM heading for 90 !  
Practically Fall.  

• Like 1