June 2022 Observations and Discussion

Tom

06/27/2022

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 80/65 once again there was no rain fall and there was 87% of possible sunshine. The overnight low in MBY was a cool 52 and at the current time with clear skies it is 59. For today the average H/L is 82/61 the record high of 97 was set in 1933 and 1944 the record low of 45 was set in 1902 and 1905. The big weather-related event this week continues to be how dry it has become. Today will start the week off on the cool note with highs in the low 70’s  There have only been 15 years when the high has not reached 75 at Grand Rapids on this date.

• Like 1

No measurable rain in last 12 days, looking at 14 days straight at least.  I've recorded .71 inches of rain in June.  I'm not sure how, at least locally, we are not in the "abnormally" dry drought index.   I believe officially GR has received .85 inches in June.  Anyone who hasn't watered every day, their lawn is burnt toast.  

We built a rain barrel two weeks ago, obviously it's empty still.  We need rain.  

Near perfect day today in the low 70's.   Even more perfect tomorrow around 80.  Extended forecast looks relatively dry.  Experts, when are we going to see rain?  Why is it so dry all of the sudden?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tStacsh said:

believe officially GR has received .85 inches in June. 

The official total rain fall at Grand Rapids so far this month is 0.89" In recorded history there have only been 4 years when June had less that one inch of rain fall at GR 1988, 1959, 1984 and 1908.

• Like 3
  • scream 1

1pm………..88 degrees!!   Wow. 

So this is how normal people live in summer. 🤔

• Like 3
  • lol 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

3 hours ago, westMJim said:

The official total rain fall at Grand Rapids so far this month is 0.89" In recorded history there have only been 4 years when June had less that one inch of rain fall at GR 1988, 1959, 1984 and 1908.

ahh yes, forgot about Saturday night's "rain".  I had a sprinkle imby but it did not measure anything.  

It's like they were reading my mind.  Rain chances look good though at least for one day.  

GRR:

We are continuing with the overall theme of predominantly dry and
warmer weather into the weekend with temperatures at or above
normal. This continues a stretch of dry conditions that brings us
closer to an official "Abnormally Dry" designation per the U.S.
Drought Monitor website. That information gets updated every
Thursday at 8:30 am Eastern Time, but Tuesday morning is the cutoff
for receiving data to inform that update. Our next chance for rain
is Tuesday night. Hence, any precipitation that occurs then will not
affect Thursday`s Drought Monitor update.

-- Showers and thunderstorms possible Tuesday night --

It`s looking more likely that most, of not all, of the forecast area
will see measurable precipitation Tuesday night. This is shown in
the 12Z HREF model suite. In fact, the Localized Prob-Matched Mean
(LPMM) guidance even shows a couple of small swaths associated with
precipitation totals in the neighborhood of an inch. As noted in the
SPC Day2 outlook, thunder will be possible areawide and this is
supported by the 12Z HRRR. However, thunder chances will be
substantially greater to the north closer to where synoptic forcing
should be concentrated.

Folks in the Plains, take advantage of the 1st half of July. That’s the window for troughing and above average precip, if there is one.

That heat ridge looks to rebuild big time later in the month as MJO returns to the W-Hem/IO and -dAAMt commences. Duration TBD.

F79D8CFF-ED8A-4592-8A23-BDC79E363474.gif

E4B464BA-890B-444C-A2B6-731EEF8B4AB5.gif

• Like 3
  • Sick 1

Greetings all! Pretty typical summertime weather around these parts lately. TOP official June temp anomaly sitting at +3.1.

@Clinton and @Jayhawker85 I've been caught between heavier rains to the immediate north and immediate south lately. Topeka officially has received 2.28" precip for the month which is only 53% of the normal 4.34" as of 6/26.

Nothing too exciting really. 😴

• Like 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

Low of 72 tonight.  92 tomorrow and back down to 72!!!!!

Love it while I can.  💕

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

5 hours ago, mlgamer said:

Greetings all! Pretty typical summertime weather around these parts lately. TOP official June temp anomaly sitting at +3.1.

@Clinton and @Jayhawker85 I've been caught between heavier rains to the immediate north and immediate south lately. Topeka officially has received 2.28" precip for the month which is only 53% of the normal 4.34" as of 6/26.

Nothing too exciting really. 😴

Same here except I'm a little drier.  I'm at .70 for the month.

• Sad 2

As the saying goes, "The Tide Turns"....once we get past the drier pattern around the MW/GL's this 4th of July weekend, I'm seeing a great signal for a NW Flow pattern and a more active one.  Nice wet signal showing up on all the models.

0z EPS...

image.gif

On a side note, this is the time of year we begin to loose the amount of daylight we can enjoy in the evenings.  In fact, yesterday was the latest sunset of the year for our area.  The sun set at 8:31:29 local time and today it will set at 8:31:28 and continue the slow side towards Autumn. 

• Like 4

06/28/2022

As can happen with dry air and dry conditions ,Yesterday was a very cool day for late June. The official H/L was 73/52. The high of 73 was the 6th coolest for the date and the low of 52 was the 8th coolest for the date. The official overnight low at Grand Rapids looks to have been 48 and for June 28th that ties for the 2nd coolest low for today. That ties 1923 and 1930 for the 2nd coolest low the record low of 43 was set in 1992. For today the average H/L is 82/61 the record high of 97 was set in 1931 and 2012 and that record low of 43 was set in 1992.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tom said:

It was rather chilly up in the Northwoods yesterday

This morning the coldest low I can find for lower Michigan for today (June 28) was 36 at Grayling. Most of the other cold spots in Michigan were in the low 40's. It looks like the official overnight low for today at Grand Rapids was 48 and that would be the 2nd coldest low for any June 28 at Grand Rapids. The overnight low here at my house was 49.

We’ll see the next 6 days in the 90’s.  A nice respite. 20% chance of rain. 
I’ll take it.  

The following week will jump into the hundreds.  But being High Summer- no surprise.   
Still on Tropical Watch! 👀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clinton said:

Same here except I'm a little drier.  I'm at .70 for the month.

Yikes! I didn't realize it had been so dry down your way Clinton. Hopefully Mother Nature will soon fix that.

• Like 3

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

24 minutes ago, mlgamer said:

Yikes! I didn't realize it had been so dry down your way Clinton. Hopefully Mother Nature will soon fix that.

This mornings GFS looks great over the next week.  Really hope this verifies, it would be the icing on the cake to go along with these great temps we're having.

image.thumb.png.ba2fc354d30be7db9dc01cf1bea81090.png

The Euro on the other hand 😪

image.thumb.png.d635388d6ee2b9fe57a7089b4d849efb.png

• Like 3

Lows dipped into the 40s for lows last nite. Quite nippy for this time of the year. Also, I think we broke the record low.  Will find out later today. Loads of sunshine today along w very pleasant temps. Currently in the 70s.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

5 hours ago, westMJim said:

06/28/2022

As can happen with dry air and dry conditions ,Yesterday was a very cool day for late June. The official H/L was 73/52. The high of 73 was the 6th coolest for the date and the low of 52 was the 8th coolest for the date. The official overnight low at Grand Rapids looks to have been 48 and for June 28th that ties for the 2nd coolest low for today. That ties 1923 and 1930 for the 2nd coolest low the record low of 43 was set in 1992. For today the average H/L is 82/61 the record high of 97 was set in 1931 and 2012 and that record low of 43 was set in 1992.

1930? That’s kind of interesting. Would never have expected cold records from that summer, considering what happened in July. And the overall temperament of that pattern.

To date, the 1930 heatwave is unrivaled here. I don’t think we’ve even scratched the surface of the crazy patterns ma’ nature is capable of. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Phil said:

1930? That’s kind of interesting. Would never have expected cold records from that summer, considering what happened in July. And the overall temperament of that pattern.

To date, the 1930 heatwave is unrivaled here. I don’t think we’ve even scratched the surface of the crazy patterns ma’ nature is capable of. 

I also thought that the Heatwave in 1980 was also insane as well.

• Like 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

Rain off to the NW but radar forecasting shows it drying up before it reaches Ft Worth.  Seems there’s an invisible line that says no further.  

But it’s 89* at 2:30, so I won’t complain too loud.  

• Like 2

12z GFS is nice as it targets western MO and Eastern Kansas with the heaviest totals Friday and Saturday. 

image.thumb.png.f6c05c0e3e8403a3f0e5e01181c4f246.png

Crazy how a few miles makes such a big difference on the 30 day totals.  20 miles both north, south and east of me have had above average precip over the last 30 days.

image.thumb.png.781450257f0a3d3a4fdfa3ffc66415e5.png

• Like 4

79/55 today! Too bad all of June couldn't be like that.. :P

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

7 hours ago, james1976 said:

Raining now with thunder. Was not expecting this! Sorry for the multiple posts. Nothing severe here.....just a nice relaxing thundershower. Wind is calm.

Ain't that just what the doctor ordered!  Glad you scored a good storm outta nowhere....I'm sure you enjoyed every bit of it bud!

+ changes showing up wrt to moisture for those who have been abnormally dry as we turn our attn towards the 4th of July!  Mother Nature may be showcasing her beauty and deliver some atmospheric Fireworks for some of us in the MW on the 4th.  0z EPS has been steadily shifting the track of the short wave coming out of the N Rockies south, thus leading to a more active storm track thru IA/IL/MI during the Holiday.

What lies ahead for the 1st week of July is a bonafide "Ring of Fire" pattern for a lot of us across the Northern/Eastern Sub...NW Flow aloft is going to set up a prime time - summer time storm pattern...

image.gif

Check out how the 0z EPS retrogrades the HP to the SW region...0z GEFS is on board also, in fact, both models are locked into the same idea that as we head into the middle part of the month it may very well get cooler for a lot of the Sub as my call for a major trough mid month sets up.

image.gif

0z EPS...getting darn close to what I'd imagine by mid month...

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

Poor ol’ Texas is shut out of moisture. That High just sits there cranking.  
We’re spared the real heat though. High of 93 is manageable.  

Raging 100’s will return Monday for another week of “joy”. Soaking yard to prep for a hot July.  
Dog Daze are here.  

• Like 3

06/29/2022

Finally received a good rain fall over night with 0.66” falling here in MBY. The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 83/48 there was no rain reported before midnight and there was 90% of possible sunshine. For today the average H/L is 83/61 the record high of 97 was set in 1913 and the record low of 43 was set in 1943. The overnight low here in MBY was 61 to go along with that 0.66” of rain fall and at this time it is cloudy and 63.

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

59 degrees, 100% humidity and holy fog

IMG_5011.JPG

• Like 8
  • Excited 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Love that fog shot!    
Dealing with dog daze in Texas I’m green with envy.  
We have a week of 100’s ahead beginning next week.  So I’m living vicariously through your fog.  

• Popcorn 1