June 2022 - Summer Begins

TT-SEA

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

My wife is currently in Viet Nam visiting family and called me at 3am (here) Monday morning because the skies were "not happy" and she was also scared. I could hear the pouring rain and lightning every few seconds 🤣 Then of course she proceeded to not let me sleep at all because she knows I'm a weather geek. 😡

I would love to experience that. 

The South is like that. Instability thunderstorms happen everyday during the summer. All that Tropical air is hot, moist, and unstable. None of them are particularly severe, but they can drop a lot of rain in a short time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snow drift said:

The South is like that. Instability thunderstorms happen everyday during the summer. All that Tropical air is hot, moist, and unstable. None of them are particularly severe, but they can drop a lot of rain in a short time.

I don't know how anyone can deal with 75-80 degrees nights with 90-100% humidity. Now that's disgusting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I don't know how anyone can deal with 75-80 degrees nights with 90-100% humidity. Now that's disgusting. 

Its called AC. 

I don't think you are sleeping outside with 40-degree windswept rain here in the winter either.    Pretty inhospitable out there.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, Cloud said:

The body acclimates but it takes time. And it wears you down physically. I definitely don’t sleep as well, and feel generally drained during the dog days of summer.

By the time I’ve adjusted to it, it’s usually mid/late August. 

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The body acclimates but it takes time. And it wears you down physically. I definitely don’t sleep as well, and feel generally drained during the dog days of summer.

By the time I’ve adjusted to it, it’s usually mid/late August. 

When I lived in Oklahoma I got pretty used to it. I generally hate heat, but if you accept it and are in good physical shape (As I was in my early 20s), it's not to big of a deal. I used to love running a mile or two around dusk and working up a good sweat. I would probably die of a heart attack if I tried that now. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its called AC. 

I don't think you are sleeping outside with 40-degree windswept rain here in the winter either.    Pretty inhospitable out there.    

Can’t stay indoors 24/7. And AC costs money..unaffordable to keep the house under 75 all day (especially now).

We usually crank the AC at night to take advantage of the lack of solar radiation and to sleep better. But during the day we have to set it around 76 or 77 to avoid a gargantuan electric bill.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Can’t stay indoors 24/7. And AC costs money..unaffordable to keep the house under 75 all day (especially now).

We usually crank the AC at night to take advantage of the lack of solar radiation and to sleep better. But during the day we have to set it around 76 or 77 to avoid a gargantuan electric bill.

Usually sleeping inside at night in a climate controlled environment... like we do all winter here.  

• Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, Cloud said:

A lot of people go from their home with A/C to their car with A/C to the grocery store/restaurant/office with A/C.  It's not so bad then LOL!!

Those that don't have A/C spend a lot of time at their community pool or swimming hole.  As a broke college student, I spent a lot of time sitting in a bathtub filled with cool water.  I used an upside down milk crate as a side table, and most of my books had some degree of water damage from dozing off while reading 🙄  

I lived in a duplex with cinder block walls and no insulation.  I had a old inefficient window AC in the wall, but I could feel the dollar bills flying out of my wallet any time I turned it on, so I didn't.  I had 2/55 A/C in my car and I worked in a restaurant in the kitchen with a huge griddle, so I just adapted.  My circle of friends invested in super soakers and we had some epic water gun fights.  For sleeping, I would take a cold shower then lay on top of the covers with a fan blowing across me.  I would usually find my way under the top sheet at some point during the night but that was it.

When all is said and done, you ultimately adapt.  While a lot of people up here bust out shorts when it gets into the 50's, people in Florida are putting on large down coats, at the same temp.

All that said, yeah its disgusting, and that is the primary reason this Georgia boy has lived here since 1994 and now calls himself a Pacific North Westerner. 

• Like 2
  • scream 1

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its called AC

Duh?  Maybe you don't know this  but 80% of the Vietnamese population in VN don't have AC. If you have AC you're considered a "rich" -- welcome to 3rd world.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

3 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

When I lived in Oklahoma I got pretty used to it. I generally hate heat, but if you accept it and are in good physical shape (As I was in my early 20s), it's not to big of a deal. I used to love running a mile or two around dusk and working up a good sweat. I would probably die of a heart attack if I tried that now. 

Yeah the body adjusts, some faster than others. I’ve learned to manage by doing high intensity exercise during the spring months, and spending lots of time outdoors on warm spring days. Get used to sweating early and often.

But I still feel it. Cannot imagine living somewhere like Phoenix or Houston. Or even coastal GA, which I love to death, but man oh man it’s brutal there.

• Storm 1

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

A lot of people go from their home with A/C to their car with A/C to the grocery store/restaurant/office with A/C.  It's not so bad then LOL!!

Those that don't have A/C spend a lot of time at their community pool or swimming hole.  As a broke college student, I spent a lot of time sitting in a bathtub filled with cool water.  I used an upside down milk crate as a side table, and most of my books had some degree of water damage from dozing off while reading 🙄  

I lived in a duplex with cinder block walls and no insulation.  I had a old inefficient window AC in the wall, but I could feel the dollar bills flying out of my wallet any time I turned it on, so I didn't.  I had 2/55 A/C in my car and I worked in a restaurant in the kitchen with a huge griddle, so I just adapted.  My circle of friends invested in super soakers and we had some epic water gun fights.  For sleeping, I would take a cold shower then lay on top of the covers with a fan blowing across me.  I would usually find my way under the top sheet at some point during the night but that was it.

When all is said and done, you ultimately adapt.  While a lot of people up here bust out shorts when it gets into the 50's, people in Florida are putting on large down coats, at the same temp.

All that said, yeah its disgusting, and that is the primary reason this Georgia boy has lived here since 1994 and now calls himself a Pacific North Westerner. 

Ahh the good ‘ole ice shower. A dog day tradition.

Though sometimes the tap water comes out lukewarm. 😂 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its called AC. 

Personally, I sleep with the heat off and the window open in my bedroom year-round (& lots of blankets in the winter).

Every so often during a cold wave I close the window then inevitably end up opening it again because it feels stuffy and I can’t fall/stay asleep.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

28 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

That used to be how I was but about 5 years ago I was carrying a heavy pack in 90+ temps in eastern Oregon one July afternoon, and thought I was fine, but ended up getting borderline heat stroke and taking 36 hours to recover. Ever since then I’ve adjusted my behaviour to be heat averse. If it’s hot, I minimize physical activity.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

40 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its called AC. 

It’s called an umbrella.

• Like 3
  • lol 2
  • scream 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

49 minutes ago, Cloud said:

It takes a least a summer to acclimate if you didn't grow up in a humid climate. My heat tolerance is still pretty decent. I tolerated last summer in Spokane Valley without air conditioning. It wasn't always pleasant though.😁

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

30 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

69 here…should get to 70 for the 3rd time this year soon. 

Clouds really thickening up now.

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah the body adjusts, some faster than others. I’ve learned to manage by doing high intensity exercise during the spring months, and spending lots of time outdoors on warm spring days. Get used to sweating early and often.

But I still feel it. Cannot imagine living somewhere like Phoenix or Houston. Or even coastal GA, which I love to death, but man oh man it’s brutal there.

I still marvel at how I managed to work agriculture in July, and August in a warehouse  near the Georgia/Florida border.  During heat waves it would hit 120-130 in the warehouse.  We spent a lot of time in front of the giant floor fan and dumped water over our heads.  I guess it boils down to....as someone else said....youth....

It got to the point where they could not get people to work the fields and had to buy machines to do the work.  The machines did not do as good a job as people did, but it was better than nothing.

Currently 72 outside and we have the A/C on. My wife and I both work upstairs, and it gets quite stuffy without it.  It's not having to work too hard though...

• scream 1

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Coastal Georgia is horrible. I spent 10-12 hrs a day in the motor pool at Ft Stewart. I got in trouble one time, and I got assigned extra duty. I was stuck in a drainage ditch with a sling blade cutting weeds in July. Whatever I did wrong, I promise I'll never do it again.

• lol 4

8 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

The Office Boom GIF

Umbrella... furnace... AC... all the same.   Ways to mitigate nature's unpleasantness.    Although we use the furnace all winter every year, I can't remember the last time I used an umbrella.  😃

• scream 1

39 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I spent some quality time in Georgia. Summer is treasured in Spokane, but I feared it in Georgia. I moved back from Georgia in August many years ago. I spent most of that August in Spokane. At the time, I could tolerate Spokane's summer weather with the windows closed, no fans on, and zero air conditioning.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

The hell is this popping up on my computer, I thought we were supposed to be dry today!! 

1091B67E-7B97-4319-8CC3-173AE8AF0086.jpeg

Its coming up from the south... going to rain this evening.

• Sick 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Its called AC. 

It's objectively easier to create artificial warmth for yourself in the winter than it is to create artificial cool in the summer.

• Like 7

Just now, BLI snowman said:

It's objectively easier to create artificial warmth for yourself in the winter than it is to create artificial cool in the summer.

He asked how people survive the warm nights... most people in the SE have AC and they aren't experiencing the warmth outside when they are sleeping.  

• Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

He asked how people survive the warm nights... most people in the SE have AC and they aren't experiencing the warmth outside when they are sleeping.  

And what if those without ACs in those climate? You're talking about a tool that most in the 3rd world around tropical climates don't have unless you're in hotels or rich. Again, how they "survive" is to be able to acclimate to the climate they're in. Pretty amazing to be honest. Throw me in that condition and I'll probably book the next flight home. 🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Seems like you're being rather pedantic/literal. Obviously he just meant that really warm nights are generally pretty uncomfortable to try to sleep in.

I think most people could agree with that statement, and wouldn't find having to throw an extra blanket on during a freezing winter night to be a great comparison.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Seems like you're being rather pedantic/literal. Obviously he meant that really warm nights are generally pretty uncomfortable to try to sleep in.

I think most people could agree with that statement, and wouldn't find having to throw an extra blanket on during a freezing winter night to be a great comparison.

I'll buy a ticket for Tim to VN in this condition and see how long he'll be able to stay. No hotels, welcome to stay with my wife's family.

A population of 90 million people with only 17% of households having AC. 

yuck.png

• Like 3
  • Sick 1

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

I'll buy a ticket for Tim to VN in this condition and see how long he'll be able to stay. No hotels, welcome to stay with my wife's family.

A population of 90 million people with only 17% of households having AC. 

yuck.png

My uncle told some pretty gruesome stories about sleeping in the heat during his two tours over there. I can’t sleep hot. Humidity can suck it, except for at Phil’s house where 90 degree DP’s should abound.

• Troll 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.