June 2022 - Summer Begins

TT-SEA

13 minutes ago, snow drift said:

I didn't enjoy last year's heatwave. I work a physical job, and I don't have air conditioning. If it had been 75-85, I would have been much happier.

Definitely be careful with exhaustion. That reminds me last year a McDonalds in Wilsonville didn't have a properly working air conditioning and several workers were hospitalized in the heatwave. I think right before the peak of that heatwave occurred, my bro was already packed up and moved to Colorado. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

6 minutes ago, snow drift said:

It can happen up here. Sunny and clear days have been pretty rare over the last few months. February was our sunniest month. We did hit 82 last Thursday. KGEG hit 79. We're going to earn nice summer weather this year.

To be fair I was remembering some of the time I lived west of the cascades. Both GEG and LMT do average warmer highs than PDX but June gloom doesn't last the entire month, or almost never did.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

3 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

Definitely be careful with exhaustion. That reminds me last year a McDonalds in Wilsonville didn't have a properly working air conditioning and several workers were hospitalized in the heatwave. I think right before the peak of that heatwave occurred, my bro was already packed up and moved to Colorado. 

Dewpoints were pretty low. If they had been any higher, I would have either bought an air conditioning unit or stayed in a hotel.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’ve always considered Spokane’s climate to be much sunnier and drier than anywhere west of the Cascades.

Spokane averages 191 cloudy days per year. Seattle averages 201 cloudy days. The difference is negligible. The percentage of sunshine in Spokane is between 47-48%. Denver has a percentage closer to 70%. Spokane is drier than Seattle. 

https://www.move.org/gloomiest-cities-in-the-us/

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/cities-least-depressing-winters

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, snow drift said:

Spokane averages 191 cloudy days per year. Seattle averages 201 cloudy days. The difference is negligible. The percentage of sunshine in Spokane is between 47-48%. Denver has a percentage closer to 70%.

Guess that explains the ponderosa pine studded hills surrounding Sea-Tac.

• Excited 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

5 minutes ago, snow drift said:

Spokane averages 191 cloudy days per year. Seattle averages 201 cloudy days. The difference is negligible. The percentage of sunshine in Spokane is between 47-48%. Denver has a percentage closer to 70%. Spokane is drier than Seattle. 

I was actually shocked to see you get that much. Klamath Falls is like Denver's sun days but half the snowfall annually.

But if you think about it, I guess eastern Washington is influenced by more frontal activity than southern Oregon. And I assume less shadowing on rainfall.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

1 minute ago, Timmy Supercell said:

I was actually shocked to see you get that much. Klamath Falls is like Denver's sun days but half the snowfall annually.

But if you think about it, I guess eastern Washington is influenced by more frontal activity than southern Oregon. And I assume less shadowing on rainfall.

The Columbia basin is sunnier and drier than Spokane. I haven't looked at the numbers though. Everybody deals with winter inversions.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

To be fair I was remembering some of the time I lived west of the cascades. Both GEG and LMT do average warmer highs than PDX but June gloom doesn't last the entire month, or almost never did.

It's pretty streaky. Spring 2021 was inordinately sunny. This year is the polar opposite.

6 minutes ago, snow drift said:

I never paid attention. I don't recall seeing any Ponderosa pines over there.

Well obviously the landscape is significantly different over there.    Spokane averages about 1/3rd of the annual precip of SEA.    

• Like 2
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The models seem to be latching onto more of a -PNA / -EPO look in the longer range.  That would mean much more pleasant NW flow.  Simply insane how wet it's been...especially east of the Cascades in relation to normal.

• Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Well obviously the landscape is significantly different over there.    Spokane averages about 1/3rd of the annual precip of SEA.    

True, Coeur d'Alene averages around 27 inches of precipitation annualy. Spokane, which is a little farther west, averages roughly 16 inches of precipitation annualy. 

19 minutes ago, snow drift said:

Wow.  Seattle ranks number 2 for most depressing winters.  I thought our winters were supposed to be so great here according to some. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

27 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

June gloom is usually due to marine clouds and not rain.  To me the sogginess this year is what is really getting me down.  At least with the typical marine clouds everything isn't sopping wet all the time.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Wow.  Seattle ranks number 2 for most depressing winters.  I thought our winters were supposed to be so great here according to some. 🤣

Seriously. There used to be this one poster who would constantly talk about how awesome our winters could be, and would even go as far as predicting one just about every year. 🤣 You would have gotten a good laugh out of it.

• lol 4

3 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Seriously. There used to be this one poster who would constantly talk about how awesome our winters could be, and would even go as far as predicting one just about every year. 🤣 You would have gotten a good laugh out of it.

I meant the people who think the winters are so great, because they don't have very much of the evil that is known as snowfall.  Those people are delusional as far as I'm concerned.

At any rate if you were referring to me...it's pretty well known how much I hate our typical winter fare here.  Been that way for a long long time.

EDIT:  I noticed you said could be.  Yes we can have very good winters here on occasion.  

• Weenie 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

I meant the people who think the winters are so great, because they don't have very much of the evil that is known as snowfall.  Those people are delusional as far as I'm concerned.

At any rate if you were referring to me...it's pretty well known how much I hate our typical winter fare here.  Been that way for a long long time.

I agree. Nothing worse than delusional people.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I agree. Nothing worse than delusional people.

Not sure why you have it in for me all the time. 

Everyone knows you're out of control with the weenie emojis for people who dare to like anything other than 24/7 rain.

I did an edit to the post you quoted here.  There are about 10 - 15% of past winters that are good.  Not sure how you thought I meant they were all great.

• lol 1
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Everyone knows you're out of control with the weenie emojis for people who dare to like anything other than 24/7 rain.

I did an edit to the post you quoted here.  There are about 10% of past winters that are good.  Not sure how you thought I meant they were all great.

Him and his weenie emojis🌭🌭🌭🌭🙄

• lol 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I did an edit to the post you quoted here.  There are about 10 - 15% of past winters that are good.  Not sure how you thought I meant they were all great.

I guess it’s hard to me to understand the magnitude of complaining this year after how spring and early summer have gone the last decade. The other shoe had to drop at some point and this is just one year versus ten. Our climate is warming and drying in the dry season into the long term, so  years like this become more and more of an outlier as time goes on.

Anyway, throwing a hot dog on what I see as kind of silly posts given the context of our climate seems like a better alternative to engaging each and every time. We already have enough preference based arguments here.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I guess it’s hard to me to understand the magnitude of complaining this year after how spring and early summer have gone the last decade. The other shoe had to drop at some point and this is just one year versus ten. Our climate is warming and drying in the dry season into the long term, so  years like this become more and more of an outlier as time goes on.

Anyway, throwing a hot dog on what I see as kind of silly posts given the context of our climate seems like a better alternative to engaging each and every time. We already have enough preference based arguments here.

Andrew and TacomaWaWx have been enjoying the spring this year. I don't have any problem with you or anybody else enjoying it, too. 

The SSTA map right now does not look dramatically different than it did one year ago.    The ENSO regions are a little cooler but the overall configuration is quite similar.    This in no way implies there will be another 1,000 year freakish heat event.  Probably not in our lifetimes.   But maybe the overall pattern is actually going to quiet down significantly after the middle of June... which is pretty typical.   The first half of June last year was also really wet.

2022 (1).png

2021 (13).png

• Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

37 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The models seem to be latching onto more of a -PNA / -EPO look in the longer range.  That would mean much more pleasant NW flow.  Simply insane how wet it's been...especially east of the Cascades in relation to normal.

I would love a Canadian high pressure. It would clear out the clouds for a day or two.

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The SSTA map right now does not look dramatically different than it did one year ago.    The ENSO regions are a little cooler but the overall configuration is quite similar.    This in no way implies there will be another 1,000 year freakish heat event.  Probably not in our lifetimes.   But maybe the overall pattern is actually going to quiet down significantly after the middle of June... which is pretty typical.

2022 (1).png

2021 (13).png

nino34.png

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Fircrest said:

Haha, I'll be there this afternoon dropping off return items at the Amazon counter. Though I'm 2 years too young to be a boomer.

I have always considered myself Gen X even though I was born on the cusp.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Kayla said:

Took advantage of the short break in the rain and boy was a beautiful morning for a short bike ride!

These bluebird skies are long gone now though. Currently 56F and very rainy.

618789210_ScreenShot2022-06-05at1_43_24PM.png1559968738_ScreenShot2022-06-05at1_43_51PM.png668034735_ScreenShot2022-06-05at1_44_06PM.png

Purdy.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Took advantage of the short break in the rain and boy was a beautiful morning for a short bike ride!

These bluebird skies are long gone now though. Currently 56F and very rainy.

618789210_ScreenShot2022-06-05at1_43_24PM.png1559968738_ScreenShot2022-06-05at1_43_51PM.png668034735_ScreenShot2022-06-05at1_44_06PM.png

Beautiful. Nice to see healthy green trees out there too. What lake is that?

• Like 3
  • Weenie 2

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

Yeah...we all know it has to rain endlessly to have green trees!

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Troll 1
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

Hyalite reservoir! Also known as Bozeman's playground. Very fortunate to live just 8 miles away from it. 

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Yeah...we all know it has to rain endlessly to have green trees!

There has been massive drought related die off and wildfire across the west in recent years, so I don’t take green trees for granted.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 4
  • Weenie 2

12z EPS is showing another very healthy looking trough as we head into the third week of June.

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 1.54.03 PM.png

• Like 6

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history