June 2022 - Summer Begins

TT-SEA

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The GFS is gonna do some whacky cutoff ULL thing after D10.

I can feel it.

Who cares what it does after day 10.   Its always meaningless.  😃

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Speaking of precip, I just saw this.

That’s impressive for a well-dispersed, 52 member ensemble mean. Sucks for Texas, though.2192B7AE-699E-45F6-A87F-2557AAC077C2.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Who cares what it does after day 10.   Its always meaningless.  😃

I know 😅 That bias just bothers me for some reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Speaking of precip, I just saw this.

That’s impressive for a well-dispersed ,52 member ensemble mean.2192B7AE-699E-45F6-A87F-2557AAC077C2.png

All comes down to the placement of the system later this coming week.    Those anomalies are gone in week 2.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

All comes down to the placement of the system later this coming week.    Those anomalies are gone in week 2.

Yup I’ll wager that week-2 will be closer to average precip up there. And weeks 3 (& 4?) might even be drier than average, before the next jet extension rears it’s head.

Low AAM/retracting jet under MJO transit to E-Hem begins to favor more offshore blocking as opposed to the zonal stuff we’ve seen thus far, as Jim alluded to.

Sucks for me since this zonal flow has kept the heat suppressed to the south thus far, but it is what it is. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup I’ll wager that week-2 will be closer to average precip up there. And weeks 3/4 might even be drier than average, before the next jet extension rears it’s head.

Low AAM/retracting jet under MJO transit to E-Hem begins to favor more offshore blocking as opposed to the zonal stuff we’ve seen thus far, as Jim alluded to.

Sucks for me since this zonal flow has kept the heat suppressed to the south thus far, but it is what it is. 

By the time you get into the second half of June one or two strong showers can easily make the difference between above average and below average. This is after all a Mediterranean climate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup I’ll wager that week-2 will be closer to average precip up there. And weeks 3 (& 4?) might even be drier than average, before the next jet extension rears it’s head.

Ahhh yes... where Jim said there was an arctic blast coming and Seattle was going turn into the tundra.    Or so I read from a interpretation of what he actually said.  🤔 

• lol 1
  • Snow 1
  • Troll 1

6 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

By the time you get into the second half of June one or two strong showers can easily make the difference between above average and below average. This is after all a Mediterranean climate.

Most below average days involve precipitation of some type.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, snow drift said:

Most below average days involve precipitation of some type.

A lot of our below average summer days happen when the marine layer sticks around all day or throughout the afternoon at least. There doesn't have to be any precipitation. Obviously Spokane does not get marine layers so the dynamic is a bit different there.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

38 minutes ago, jakeinthevalley said:

13 runs? Hell, they could have had a hitter up 3 times in the inning!!

A friend of ours is billeting one of the players. He led off the inning with a walk, walked again, then popped up for the final out. It had just stopped raining at that point after the inning started completely DRY.

Edited by Deweydog

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

B60AFDE5-2919-4B9E-B823-1279334806E2.png

gnarly storm near boise

• Like 5
  • Storm 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

41 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

A lot of our below average summer days happen when the marine layer sticks around all day or throughout the afternoon at least. There doesn't have to be any precipitation. Obviously Spokane does not get marine layers so the dynamic is a bit different there.

I think drift might live in one of the few parts of Spokane that actually gets the PSCZ.

• Confused 1
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

3 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I think drift might live in one of the few parts of Spokane that actually gets the PSCZ.

You can be a positive force in this world or a negative one, Jesse. That is your choice between now and the date that you reach your mortality. We are all granted that same choice as free moral agents. I choose to be a positive force, because life is really short. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. I lost a family member to cancer not too long ago and another person I know committed suicide. It's called perspective, isn't it? I can't tolerate you on this forum, and I'm thankful I don't have to deal with you in person. You must be a real gem. You can mock and ridicule this post to your heart's content. I don't care, but you'll remember what it said. God exists, and we shall all give an account to Him. Every moment and every action matters.

• lol 1
  • Sad 3

I wonder, why is the official snow measuring area in Portland in Parkrose? It seems like their totals aren't that similar to most of the metro area in events. Like in February/March 2019, they recorded 7.0 inches of snow while Downtown recorded 1.8 inches, I had about 3-4, and most of the south/west/central metro had 1-3 inches. In 2016/2017, they only recorded 11.2 inches, while downtown recorded 15.5, and I had around 18. And in Feb 2014, they seemed to have recorded less than almost all of the metro area.

Same with Vancouver BC, why do they record temps right next to the water?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, snow drift said:

You can be a positive force in this world or a negative one, Jesse. That is your choice between now and the date that you reach your mortality. We are all granted that same choice as free moral agents. I choose to be a positive force, because life is really short. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. I lost a family member to cancer not too long ago and another person I know committed suicide. It's called perspective, isn't it? I can't tolerate you on this forum, and I'm thankful I don't have to deal with you in person. You must be a real gem. You can mock and ridicule this post to your heart's content. I don't care, but you'll remember what it said. God exists, and we shall all give an account to Him. Every moment and every action matters.

First off this forum has an option to block users. If Jesse/Cascadia bothers you that much you can use that option. I personally don't get why you're so bothered over a few harmless jokes but to each their own. 

If Jesse hadn't improved significantly as a poster since coming back as Cascadia... then I probably wouldn't be defending him. But that's a different (and somewhat tired) topic for a different thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, snow drift said:

Seems like a bit of an overreaction. What have I done that’s so offensive today aside from poking at some preferences. That is pretty typical banter for here from many parties. I certainly haven’t gone as far as to quotation your likability as a person, whether or not you have a “good” impact on the world around you, or your righteousness in the eyes of Our Lord. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

14 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

First off this forum has an option to block users. If Jesse/Cascadia bothers you that much you can use that option. I personally don't get why you're so bothered over a few harmless jokes but to each their own. 

If Jesse hadn't improved significantly as a poster since coming back as Cascadia... then I probably wouldn't be defending him. But that's a different (and somewhat tired) topic for a different thread.

As Matt alluded to... there really isn't much of a difference.    But whatever.    Doesn't really matter... and I have to admit its a little more fun now with someone who is constantly bothered and has to let me know it.    😃

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

18z ensembles looking wetter than the operational for the system later this week.

7E9A0E6C-6EAF-4CD6-840D-9B08B74A0DA4.png

Yeah the operational is kind of a scenario where the system pretty much misses Oregon to the north almost entirely which I don't feel is likely. I feel like the Euro outcome or something close to it will be what ends up happening but we will see. We don't often get ARs this time of year but that doesn't make them any easier to forecast.

I weedeated in the heavy downpours today. 
Currently light drizzle and 53.

.69” so far on the day. 
Wet. 

1D021A8A-B8BF-48FE-B4AD-83961B9051B4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • scream 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

I weedeated in the heavy downpours today. 
Currently light drizzle and 53.

.69” so far on the day. 
Wet. 

1D021A8A-B8BF-48FE-B4AD-83961B9051B4.jpeg

Rain pushed east of my area a couple hours ago.   Pretty chilly up there...  its currently 63 in North Bend.    

• Like 1

Lost power today for about 8 hours and missed out on what is probably an impressive rain total by any standard, but especially for June.

I did record .43" and I'm guessing at least .6-8" fell in addition to that.  We had a heavy band parked over us for a few hours during the afternoon.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Crazy game. It was 23-12 when we left.

You didn't miss any of the runs scored!

Screenshot_20220605-193510_Chrome.jpg

• scream 1

Just couldn’t manage anything interesting after the heavy rain this morning…but lots of rain this weekend. 1.52” in total and 1.55” of rain this month. 64/57 spread so far down to 58 currently. 

• scream 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0