-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

64/48 day here. Partly to mostly cloudy with a couple nice downpours in the late morning and early afternoon. Picked up .20” precip.

Looks like we will move into a much warmer pattern starting right around the solstice. At least days will be starting to get shorter at that point.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

11 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Looks like we go into a pretty torchy pattern starting early next week to me. The pattern you are wishing for with wall to wall sun and below normal temps is pretty much impossible in the summer in our climate.

But it happened in the 1950s tho. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

17 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Cannibalism isn't very appetizing...

Not according to this guy! 

CB4F0CC6-F0D7-4C7B-9429-25E9D7B67893.jpeg

• scream 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

47 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

A bit too verdant for Mordor. Ithilien, maybe ;)

Ok, I hadn’t heard of the word verdant ever before today. My dad said it several times and we all gave him crap for continuing to use it. Now I see you use it….was there some word of the day somewhere that verdant was it today or yesterday or something???

45 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Guessing even a lot of the cool, fairly dry summers back then were a lot cloudier than some like to imagine.

PDX actually did record sunshine data from 1950 to 1995, and it's kind of a shame US stations don't do this anymore. Places elsewhere in the world still record sunshine hours.

The cloudiest year in that span was 1955, which had 1596 hours of sunshine (about what London or Forks typically gets in a year). The sunniest was 1987, which had 2872 hours, comparable to eastern Montana or most of the Southeastern US. Probably not unreasonable to assume the Rogue Valley gets that in a typical year either? 

Here's the data for yourself: https://www.weather.gov/media/pqr/climate/ClimateBookPortland/pg136.pdf Seems to indicate that the good ol' days were in fact pretty cloudy.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

14 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

PDX actually did record sunshine data from 1950 to 1995, and it's kind of a shame US stations don't do this anymore. Places elsewhere in the world still record sunshine hours.

The cloudiest year in that span was 1955, which had 1596 hours of sunshine (about what London or Forks typically gets in a year). The sunniest was 1987, which had 2872 hours, comparable to eastern Montana or most of the Southeastern US. Probably not unreasonable to assume the Rogue Valley gets that in a typical year either? 

Here's the data for yourself: https://www.weather.gov/media/pqr/climate/ClimateBookPortland/pg136.pdf Seems to indicate that the good ol' days were in fact pretty cloudy.

The sunniest year in both July and August was 1984... which happened to be the most persistently rainy April - June period ever in my area until 2022 took the crown.  Looks like it was a quite a flip in that year... hoping for something similar this year. 

Also interesting that the sunniest July and August was back in the mid 80s and not during any of the recent summers.   And the sunniest year was 1987.    Maybe the 80s weren't so gloomy around here after all. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

64/48 day here. Partly to mostly cloudy with a couple nice downpours in the late morning and early afternoon. Picked up .20” precip.

Looks like we will move into a much warmer pattern starting right around the solstice. At least days will be starting to get shorter at that point.

I don't think it's even a modern phenomenon. Our coldest summer months historically have been quite cloudy for the most part which you can determine fairly easily looking at diurnal ranges, and usually have a lot of days with rain at least by the standards of our summer climo. 

There are exceptions of course, but very sunny and notably cool summer months have always been rare.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, James Jones said:

I don't think it's even a modern phenomenon. Our coldest summer months historically have been quite cloudy for the most part which you can determine fairly easily looking at diurnal ranges, and usually have a lot of days with rain at least by the standards of our summer climo. 

There are exceptions of course, but very sunny and notably cool summer months have always been rare.

Diurnal ranges is a great method.    I will say that 1951 appeared to be a fairly sunny summer around here.    There were lots of days with chilly low temps and warm afternoons.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So my Everett station seems to be having an issue.  It's apparently 0F degrees and cloudy. :D Real temp is 56F.

The 7 day forecast is ok.  Thankfully it doesn't look too hot.  Sad to see so much sunshine.  Hope the clouds stay to some degree.  I already miss the rain.  But it was a good stretch we had.  :)

HAPPY FATHERS DAY! 

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 9.52.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-18 at 9.52.47 PM.png

• Excited 1

2 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Speaking of hot dogs... this is the weenie post of the day.

Similar to saying it looks like its going to snow right before Christmas but at least those sun angles will be getting higher then and that will make a difference.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Less death on the 18z runs.

More death on the 00Z GFS than on the 18Z run... we will all be lucky to be alive living in a wasteland of dead trees by next week.  

• Sun 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Speaking of hot dogs... this is the weenie post of the day.

Similar to saying it looks like its going to snow right before Christmas but at least those sun angles will be getting higher then and that will make a difference.  

Huh?  There is absolutely no way to tangibly use that as an accurate comparison.

• Like 2

Finally this looks about normal.  Been reading the complaining here for weeks about this spring but it hasnt been unpleasant.  Growing has sucked but that looks to improve soon, except for the increase in rabbits this year.  This is still way preferable to almost anywhere in the country.  I am a 2005 transplant and this seems like those first few springs. Summer around the 4th of July.  Got a party planned for the brand new deck on the weekend of the Fourth.  It ought to be awesome.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

Huh?  There is absolutely no way to tangibly use that as an accurate comparison.

😀

Its pretty much exactly the same.    Looks like winter/summer is about to start but at least the sun angles are increasing/decreasing by time we actually get to enjoy some season variety.    Its interchangeable.  

• Weenie 3

Just now, TT-SEA said:

😀

Its pretty much exactly the same.    Looks like winter/summer is about to start but at least the sun angles are increasing/decreasing by time we actually get to enjoy some season variety.    Its interchangeable.  

Nah, the differences between the two are significantly different.

• lol 1

1 minute ago, Randyc321 said:

Finally this looks about normal.  Been reading the complaining here for weeks about this spring but it hasnt been unpleasant.  Growing has sucked but that looks to improve soon, except for.  This is still way preferable to almost anywhere in the country.  I am a 2005 transplant and this seems like those first few springs. Summer around the 4th of July.  Got a party planned for the brand new deck on the weekend of the Fourth.  It ought to be awesome.

Capture.PNG

Bainbridge Island is definitely one of the best places to be during warm season troughing.   One of the most likely places to see sun.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Nah, the differences between the two are significantly different.

Differences are always different right?  😀

• Weenie 2

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

The sunniest year in both July and August was 1984... which happened to be the most persistently rainy April - June period ever in my area until 2022 took the crown.  Looks like it was a quite a flip in that year... hoping for something similar this year. 

Also interesting that the sunniest July and August was back in the mid 80s and not during any of the recent summers.   And the sunniest year was 1987.    Maybe the 80s weren't so gloomy around here after all. 

PDX stopped recording sun data in 1995 however. There’s a decent chance one of the years in the last decade would have made a run at 3000 hours of sunshine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Everyone ready for some +TNH?

He’s gonna be our friend for the next several weeks. 🤮 

57508E2A-67AC-4CF1-BD0E-DAEFAD533D34.webp

As long as it isn’t like that the whole summer we will be fine. Gives other parts of the country a break from the heat for a little while. Easy to forget that other parts of the country roast for us to stay cool a lot of times. I’m sure eventually the western troughing will return later in July like you think it will. 

• Like 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Just now, Doiinko said:

Well your earlier predictions about a warm spell around this time seem likely to come to fruition!

Maybe arriving a few days early! I usually have a slow bias. :lol: 

And I hate the +TNH regime with a f**king passion. Just a relentless humidity pump here. I’d rather have a hot/dry pattern than that crap again.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

As long as it isn’t like that the whole summer we will be fine. Gives other parts of the country a break from the heat for a little while. Easy to forget that other parts of the country roast for us to stay cool a lot of times. I’m sure eventually the western troughing will return later in July like you think it will. 

That is ideal timing... because that time of year is usually perfect even with weak troughing on the periphery of massive high over the middle of the country.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

That is ideal timing... because that time of year is usually perfect even with weak troughing on the periphery of massive high over the middle of the country.  

I definitely won’t mind us getting some warmer weather. It doesn’t look extremely hot just warmer than normal. I get the feeling it won’t be a permanent feature and overall we will end up mostly with western troughing this summer. 

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0