June 2022 - Summer Begins

TT-SEA

2 hours ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

I feel for you man. I regularly use a sauna so I guess that's why heat doesn't affect me much. I definitely try to stay hydrated as much as I can and drink extra water during the summer. Once it gets 90+ I also start avoiding fluids that dehydrate you, like alcohol and caffeinated drinks. That seems to help a lot. 

I have friends who like saunas, but the entire concept just sounds horrible to me.

80’s F are no big deal for me. Even 90’s and low 100’s aren’t, if it is not humid and I can sit around in the shade and do nothing. That one time I got sick, I was trying not to be a wimp and still be active. Big mistake.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

4 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Monsoonal moisture. Good.

20220621_194659.thumb.jpg.f7d4ddc27f15b0e401aa53e5d5011123.jpg

20220621_194756.thumb.jpg.f9c2780defdd7dd62206908ff8a4307c.jpg

Marine layer moisture. Not so good!

Awesome pics... those clouds are much better than the flat lifeless gray of the marine layer.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Awesome pics... those clouds are much better than the flat lifeless gray of the marine layer.  

altocumulus castellanus... my favorite cloud

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

We are late bloomers out here.

Yep. Just proves once again that September is way more of a summer month than June out there. Even the first half of October.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

15 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Well after my post about how excited I was to see the sun this morning, the clouds bullied their way in rapidly and for the last few hours it has looked like it could rain any minute. 🤢🤮

Yeah... there was a distinct cut off around Everett this afternoon.   The ECMWF nailed it several days out.   My sons were on Lake Sammamish this afternoon and evening with a bunch of their friends and they said it was hot and they were swimming and wake surfing.   I told them a few days ago that they would probably be right on the line there. Luckily they were just south of the line... made for a perfect day on the water.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Yep. Just proves once again that September is way more of a summer month than June out there. Even the first half of October.

The daylight hours are a big factor in perception though.    When June is even half way decent it feels way more like summer than a mid September afternoon.   

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The daylight hours are a big factor in perception though.    When June is even half way decent it feels way more like summer than a mid September afternoon.   

You and your perceptions, so picky! Just like when it rains there in the spring/summer/fall it feels like winter right!?

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

1 minute ago, Kayla said:

You and your perceptions, so picky! Just like when it rains there in the spring/summer/fall it feels like winter right!?

Sun angles are pretty important.   A warm late September day does not really feel like summer.   And when its ridiculously dark and and wet like last week it feels like we are being robbed of summer.   Not sure what to tell you... but I am pretty sure most people would agree if you ask them.  😀

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sun angles are pretty important.   A warm late September day does not really feel like summer.   And when its ridiculously dark and and wet like last week it feels like we are being robbed of summer.   Not sure what to tell you... but I am pretty sure most people would agree if you ask them.  😀

So if it's 80-90 degrees in mid to late September you enjoy it less? September always felt and was a summer month to me in Portland.

Obviously not out here now though. It's very fall like here by early to mid September.

Cold Season 2023/24:

3 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

Is that even possible? Would basically be lows around -10 in my area.

Extrapolating for UHI would basically be a redux w/ lows around 0 at KSEA, but w/ old runway and less concrete like -5 or so

I could go for some -25 action over here on this side

• Snow 1
  • scream 1

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Didn’t you just say it felt like November a few days ago?

• Like 2
  • scream 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

27 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Summer lines up pretty well with the calendar here, on average. Astronomical that is. First half of June is spring and back half of September is fall.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Didn’t you just say it felt like November a few days ago?

It did.  It was not half way decent.  

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

It did.  It was not half way decent.  

So the daylight hours are not very big on perception then, got it!😉

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

48 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Another interesting map by Brian.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.46.11 PM.png

Looks about right. Mid-June to mid-September is historically accurate here.

Tho recent decades it’s more like late-June to late-September.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Summer lines up pretty well with the calendar here, on average. Astronomical that is. First half of June is spring and back half of September is fall.

I agree to a certain extent. PDX average monthly temp is slightly higher in Sept vs June and the monthly mean high is a couple of degrees warmer as well. There have been many years where "summer" just kept on trucking right on through September.

Cold Season 2023/24:

7 minutes ago, Kayla said:

So the daylight hours are not very big on perception then, got it!😉

Well... like I said... when its at least half way decent.  

But not when June was behaving like November as Cliff Mass pointed out recently. 

cm109.png

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 3

13 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Totally agree.  Split up June and September and that is about right.

3 hours ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

I feel for you man. I regularly use a sauna so I guess that's why heat doesn't affect me much. I definitely try to stay hydrated as much as I can and drink extra water during the summer. Once it gets 90+ I also start avoiding fluids that dehydrate you, like alcohol and caffeinated drinks. That seems to help a lot. 

Depends on where really. Places like central OR and interior CA are just so bone dry that highs in the low 90s, to me, honestly don't feel hot at all. At least not uncomfortable in any way. Western OR is very comfortable humidity-wise but they are on a different level. When I was in Sunriver last summer every day had highs in the 92-95 range (which is quite a bit warmer than normal for there). Our cabin didn't even have AC, and at not one point did we feel like we needed it. Some nights dropped all the way into the 30s. The huge diurnal ranges actually help a lot.

• Like 1
  • scream 1

13 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

needs more pot plants

Funny you should mention that.   My son just spent 20 minutes telling me about their friend and his girlfriend who came with them today on the boat.   These two people don't drink... they just smoke weed.   Like constantly.    Every waking hour.   They were never like this in high school but they went to Western in Bellingham and I guess that is the culture there.    So they get on the boat and everyone is relaxing and they have beer in a cooler and the music is playing and the sun is shining but these two people were like caged animals.   All they could talk about was getting off the boat to go get cheesy bread and find a random basketball court somewhere to eat and smoke weed and shoot hoops.   My son it was crazy... they just could not relax.   Not sure how they are doing in college... but they both graduated high school with honors were basically straight A students.    My son said he feels like he doesn't even know them any more.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 2

3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Explosive growth in the garden...

20220621_174622.jpg

20220621_172747.jpg

Your garden looks beautiful! This is the worst start to our garden in a long time. Lower temperatures I'm sure don't help matters (it was only 69F here today) and everything got flooded out in early June. Not sure if the tomatoes are going to recover and even the peas decided they had too much water and are starting to die. And most of our brassicas have been killed by cabbage root maggot.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

6 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I agree to a certain extent. PDX average monthly temp is slightly higher in Sept vs June and the monthly mean high is a couple of degrees warmer as well. There have been many years where "summer" just kept on trucking right on through September.

Definitely, but late September can even more often be persistently wet/coolish. I had a high in the 40s here on September 29, 2019. There's a big range to the list of possibilities at that point. Places like Salem have been to 90 as late as October 10 before, but they also have seen snow in the Willamette Valley as early as October 12 before back in 1881.

Funny you should mention that.   My son just spent 20 minutes telling me about their friend and his girlfriend who came with them today on the boat.   These two people don't drink... they just smoke weed.   Like constantly.    Every waking hour.   They were never like this in high school but they went to Western in Bellingham and I guess that is the culture there.    So they get on the boat and everyone is relaxing and they have beer in a cooler and the music is playing and the sun is shining but these two people were like caged animals.   All they could talk about was getting off the boat to go get cheesy bread and find a random basketball court somewhere to eat and smoke weed and shoot hoops.   My son it was crazy... they just could not relax.   Not sure how they are doing in college... but they both graduated high school with honors were basically straight A students.    My son said he feels like he doesn't even know them any more.  

Yo get TT jr on the forum asap he sounds way cooler than you (no offense)

• lol 2
  • Popcorn 1

Just now, RentonHillTC said:

Yo get TT jr on the forum asap he sounds way cooler than you (no offense)

😀

They are too cool for a weather forum... they laugh every time I mention it.   

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Storm 1

3 hours ago, Phil said:

I love a cold Diet Coke on a hot day, but yeah, definitely not smart to drink those when perspiring heavily.

In fact the last time heat exhaustion got me I had been drinking a soda in the hour beforehand. Started feeling cold and stopped sweating, then got dizzy. All within like 5 minutes. Wake up call for sure, it can hit hard and fast.

I try to avoid anything with artificial sweeteners, just messes up my gut and gives me digestive problems. If you want something refreshing when it's hot, try cantaloupe juice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Your garden looks beautiful! This is the worst start to our garden in a long time. Lower temperatures I'm sure don't help matters (it was only 69F here today) and everything got flooded out in early June. Not sure if the tomatoes are going to recover and even the peas decided they had too much water and are starting to die. And most of our brassicas have been killed by cabbage root maggot.

Yeah... I am really surprised at how well its doing.   We just planted the seeds on that one nice day we had in late April (I think it was 4/29) and have done nothing with it other than train the peas onto the trellis a couple weeks ago.

81/52 spread today. First 80+ day of the year here, beating 2010 by about ten days. Our first 80 degree day in almost nine months. Pretty good run.

PDX hit 83 which was their warmest temp of the year so far, but that won’t stand for very long.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

image.png

NAM going for some low level cold pooling in the Willamette Valley tomorrow night.

Could actually be some decently chilly overnight lows tomorrow and Thursday night in the wake of the clipperesque system moving through. Offshore flow/dry air as it departs will assist with the warm up moving into the weekend, though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Could actually be some decently chilly overnight lows tomorrow and Thursday night in the wake of the clipperesque system moving through. Offshore flow/dry air as it departs will assist with the warm up moving into the weekend, though.

7/10/08

• Troll 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

7/10/08

We had a 73/52 day here on that day but we did get down to 49 degrees the next morning 😱

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

I could go for some -25 action over here on this side

Most models were gunning for something like that back in Dec before neutering the forward advancement of the Arctic front substantially. 

As life is, life goes 🤷‍♂️

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I have friends who like saunas, but the entire concept just sounds horrible to me.

80’s F are no big deal for me. Even 90’s and low 100’s aren’t, if it is not humid and I can sit around in the shade and do nothing. That one time I got sick, I was trying not to be a wimp and still be active. Big mistake.

Saunas aren't for everybody but it has a rich history in the Nordic countries. They would do the sauna and immediately follow it up with a icy cold plunge. It makes tolerating the sauna easier when you know you can cool off immediately afterwards. That's the one good thing about PNW heat, it's usually not humid. Of course, stay directly out of the sun when it starts approaching triple digits.

46 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It numbs life, lets you avoid confronting your insecurities and problems. Your son's friends have taken it to the absolute extreme end, which is unfortunate; I hope they get the real help they need... Obviously infinitely better than it still being criminalized but as with anything, moderation is key.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

42 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Definitely, but late September can even more often be persistently wet/coolish. I had a high in the 40s here on September 29, 2019. There's a big range to the list of possibilities at that point. Places like Salem have been to 90 as late as October 10 before, but they also have seen snow in the Willamette Valley as early as October 12 before back in 1881.

Yeah. There have also been plenty of years recently where summer-like weather starts sometime in May or even late April and keeps on truckin right through July and August. This has definitely been a late starting season but all in all I think June and September are a tie at worst in terms of potential summery weather, with September holding a lot more potential on the cool and wet side. And of course last June showed us pretty decisively what this month is capable of heat wise. 

• Like 5
  • Sun 1