June 2022 - Summer Begins

TT-SEA

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Unless that lake is *exceptionally* stable/poorly mixed, it is physically impossible for an average air temperature in the 50s to co-exist with water temperatures in the 70s over many weeks/months. Would violate multiple laws of thermodynamics.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Unless that lake **exceptionally** stable/poorly mixed, it is physically impossible for an average air temperature in the 50s to co-exist with water temperatures in the 70s over many weeks/months. Would violate multiple laws of thermodynamics.

It's real dude.   Top layer warms in the sun.  Our depth finder always agrees with the buoy temp.  We will all be swimming tomorrow and we don't swim in 50 degree water.  😀

It will be awesome as it always is on that lake.  

• Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It's real dude.   Top layer warms in the sun.  Our depth finder always agrees with the buoy temp.  We will all be swimming tomorrow and we don't swim in 50 degree water.  😀

It will be awesome as it always is on that lake.  

Then your depth finder is a piece of s**t. And so is that buoy.

The heat capacity of water is astronomically higher than that of the atmosphere above. The majority of heat exchange is between the water and atmosphere itself (diffusive), not radiative.

And top layer isn’t static. That water is constantly mixing/overturning. Not to mention evaporatively cooling (latent heat absorbed) and conducting with the surrounding air.

No lake on the planet will warm 20+ degrees above the ambient air temperature on radiative heating alone. It can’t happen.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Then your depth finder is a piece of s**t. And so is that buoy.

The top layer isn’t static. That water is constantly mixing/overturning. Not to mention evaporating (latent heat absorbed) and conducting with the surrounding air.

The heat capacity of water is higher than that of the atmosphere above. The majority of heat exchange is between the water and atmosphere (diffusive), not radiative.

No lake on the planet will warm 20+ degrees above the ambient air temperature on radiative heating alone. It can’t happen.

OK Phil.  

Argue all you want.   It always great swimming there.   And will be tomorrow.   I know what 70 degree water feels like.   And we don't swim in cold water.  😀

Ask @bainbridgekid

It's best lake in the state for boating and water activities.  

• Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Unless there’s some mechanism present through which vertical overturning is essentially reduced to zero, and there is almost no wind present, and daytime hours are almost 100% clear w/ full insolation, while nighttime hours are almost 100% cloudy, it is impossible. The laws of thermodynamics would preclude it.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Unless there’s some mechanism present through which vertical overturning is essentially reduced to **zero**, and there is almost no wind present, and daytime hours are almost 100% clear w/ full insolation, while nighttime hours are almost 100% cloudy, it is impossible.

The laws of thermodynamics preclude it.

This a futile argument on your part.   That lake is our summer home.  We know exactly what it's like. Anyone who has been there will agree.

• Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

This a futile argument on your part.   That lake is our summer home.  We know exactly what it's like. Anyone who has been there will agree.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Unless there’s some mechanism present through which vertical overturning is essentially reduced to zero, and there is almost no wind present, and daytime hours are almost 100% clear w/ full insolation, while nighttime hours are almost 100% cloudy, it is impossible. The laws of thermodynamics would preclude it.

Some pics of this mystical lake for you Phil...

Screenshot_20220624-191107_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220624-190810_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Snow 1
  • Sick 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

@bainbridgekid is going to school you on this Phillip.    😀

You spelled my name wrong.

And I’m not worried. 🙂

Just now, RentonHillTC said:

Maybe it’s geothermal lollll

Forgot about that possibility. 😅

I think it’s just as likely Tim tampered with the buoy. 

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

You spelled my name wrong.

And I’m not worried. 🙂

You can't win this one!  The water temp will be in the low 70s when are there tomorrow.    And everyone will be happily swimming.

• Downvote 1

I pissed in Lake Sammamish, sorry for all the confusion guys. My bad

• lol 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Forgot about that possibility. 😅

I think it’s just as likely Tim tampered with the buoy. 

And somehow warmed the entire lake for everyone?!  Because no one will have any issue being in the water this weekend.  They will love it.   They would be in the hospital if the water was in the 50s.  😀

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

There are lakes here (much shallower than Sammamish) which are only in the mid-70s.

And it’s much warmer here. Like, we’ve had upper 90s highs and mid-70s lows already.

And the sun is stronger here too.

• lol 1

There are lakes here (much shallower than Sammamish) which are only in the mid-70s.

And it’s much warmer here. And the sun is stronger.

Oh well.   I don't have to explain it.   I know it's real.   So does anyone else who has been there.  

@Meatyorologiststop by tomorrow and we will pick you up at the launch and get you drunk.  😀

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Oh well.   I don't have to explain it.   I know it's real.   So does anyone else who has been there.  

@Meatyorologiststop by tomorrow and we will pick you up at the launch and get you drunk.  😀

Hard to explain something that isn’t real. 😉
Actual water temp is more like 64-65°F. That’s my wager.

Or maybe it really is the most stable, poorly mixed lake in the country, and there’s a thin layer of crazy warm water sitting above frigid deep water. I mean, it’s possible…I guess?

32 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

OK Phil.  

Argue all you want.   It always great swimming there.   And will be tomorrow.   I know what 70 degree water feels like.   And we don't swim in cold water.  😀

Ask @bainbridgekid

It's best lake in the state for boating and water activities.  

Are we just going to skim over this??? This is the most eastside thing I've ever heard lmao. :lol:

image.jpeg

Lake Chelan, probably the best lake in the PNW. Crystal clear, super clean, easily accessible. Refreshing but not cold from Jun-Sep. Weather is almost always gorgeous. Extremely huge. But sure, while I'm jerking my leg free from milfoil in superheated urban runoff, I'll be sure to thank my lucky stars that I'm swimming in Lake Sammamish and not Lake Chelan, the clearly inferior lake ;)

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

First person to make the Lakewater Preferences thread gets to drink with Tim tomorrow!

• Thanks 1
  • Sick 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

I loved Lake Chelan. I was 8yrs old but can still remember it like it was yesterday. Was one of my favorite childhood trips.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Are we just going to skim over this??? This is the most eastside thing I've ever heard lmao. :lol:

image.jpeg

Lake Chelan, probably the best lake in the PNW. Crystal clear, super clean, easily accessible. Refreshing but not cold from Jun-Sep. Weather is almost always gorgeous. Extremely huge. But sure, while I'm jerking my leg free from milfoil in superheated urban runoff, I'll be sure to thank my lucky stars that I'm swimming in Lake Sammamish and not Lake Chelan, the clearly inferior lake ;)

Lake Sammamish rocks!     It's not super heated run off and you know it.  😀

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Snoqualmie Falls Brewery and restaurant in downtown Snoqualmie.     Pizza and IPAs in the warm sun right on the river.  👍

20220624_175042.jpg

This looks awesome. Is it fairly new?  When we lived in Maple Valley we liked to go to Cole Street Brewery in Enumclaw. This would be more or less the same distance in the opposite direction. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hard to explain something that isn’t real. 😉
Actual water temp is more like 64-65°F. That’s my wager.

Or maybe it really is the most stable, poorly mixed lake in the country, and there’s a thin layer of crazy warm water sitting above frigid deep water. I mean, it’s possible…I guess?

Don't know.   Pretty strange that I have had two depth finders agree perfectly with the lake buoy for years.     Really strange indeed.  

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

Cut it off

He won the bet though

• Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

1 minute ago, T-Town said:

This looks awesome. Is it fairly new?  When we lived in Maple Valley we liked to go to Cole Street Brewery in Enumclaw. This would be more or less the same distance in the opposite direction. 

4 or 5 years... they keep improving it every year.

• Like 1

Just now, Meatyorologist said:

He won the bet though

He did... I am so glad he did not have to mutilate himself and it's better weather outcome too.

• lol 1

image.gif

• lol 1
  • scream 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall: