June 2022 - Summer Begins

TT-SEA

5 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I don't have a weather station, I infer based off nearby stations as well. It's very on point. If you have a good sample size and consistent nearby coverage, it's a very good estimation. In most cases, actual temperatures only vary by tenths of a degree every few blocks or so. Where there's elevation or water it's different, but if your neighbor or the house two blocks down w/ the same terrain and elevation and access to seabreezes has a station, it's probably within 0.5F 99% of the time.

I use stations 10 miles away from me since my shitty a** weather station broke down. :)

• Popcorn 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I use that station to point out how wet it has been in general in the central Cascade foothills... and compare to normal for that station.   

Nah, you have used it to verify what is happening at your location as well, just something I noticed, carry on.  Hope things work out for you in life, weather and otherwise.

• scream 1

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Nah, you have used it to verify what is happening at your location as well, just something I noticed, carry on.  Hope things work out for you in life, weather and otherwise.

😀

So condescending.  

And yes... I do use that station to point out how wet it has been because it has a 125 year period of record and its a few miles to my east.   And every day it rained there this spring it also rained here.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Down to 73…down 18 degrees now. Not exactly a 6/28/21 cooldown but pretty nice still! 

Yea. I was hoping for a better CD. I think the 12z or 18z showing being in the mid-60s for central sound by now. Still quite warm out. 

Just now, TT-SEA said:

😀

So condescending.  

And yes... I do use that station to point out how wet it has been because it has a 125 year period of record and its a few miles to my east.   And every day it rained there this spring it also rained here.  

Oh, it is way more than a few miles east.  Just looking for accuracy here on a weather forum, I guess that is too much to ask.

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Yea. I was hoping for a better CD. I think the 12z or 18z showing being in the mid-60s for central sound by now. Still quite warm out. 

Well everyone will be much cooler tomorrow regardless. Shelton is down to 64 so quite a bit cooler air is working in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Oh, it is way more than a few miles east.  Just looking for accuracy here on a weather forum, I guess that is too much to ask.

We have biked to Cedar Lake... also called Chester Morse Lake.     Its not more than a few miles... probably only 3 or 4 miles from my house.    And even better... it has 125 years of rainfall data.     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, 1000'NorthBend said:

For example, my station “only” got up to 86°F today and 88°F yesterday, I’m far more shaded, up against the mountain, lose sun by 430 PM it’s glorious!

Your station is really not representative of the area of course... as you have mentioned.    It was 95 at the station at Rattlesnake Lake yesterday which is at 1,010 feet in elevation.    

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

We have biked to Cedar Lake... also called Chester Morse Lake.     Its not more than a few miles... probably only 3 or 4 miles from my house.  

You should probably start referencing it as Chester Morse Lake, it shows within a reasonable distance from you, Cedar Lake, not so much, not even close.

7311D962-B134-44C9-AF23-10D73FCB24E5.png

Wow

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Isn’t that incredibly illegal? Chester Morse Lake is totally off limits, aside from private tours from Seattle Public Utilities (which I highly recommend). It’s the water supply for Seattle area, they won’t even let you get close.

There are trails all over the place near it... we were not on the lake itself.

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

You should probably start referencing it as Chester Morse Lake, it shows within a reasonable distance from you, Cedar Lake, not so much, not even close.

Chester Morse Lake is Cedar Lake.

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

Not according to your precious google and on the line.

Dude... its the same lake.  

Chester Morse Lake (originally Cedar Lake) is a lake in the upper region of the Cedar River watershed in the U.S. state of Washington. The original lake surface was 1,530 feet (466 m) above sea level, but when the river was dammed in 1900, the elevation was raised to 1,560 feet (475 m). Chester Morse Lake is more than four miles (6 km) long, and is primarily fed from the east by the north and south forks of the Cedar River, and from the south by the Rex River. The lake is part of the Seattle area water supply.

Doesn’t that prove his point?

No... your location is really unique.       

Just now, 1000'NorthBend said:

Just to clarify though, Chester Morse Lake is at nearly 1,600 feet amsl, while we’re at 1,100 feet. It’s also deeper in the Cascades. 

Our house is right at 1,000 feet.   Literally.   Our lower garage is at actually at 970 feet.  I have the topographical maps from when we built the house.  

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

I rest my case...  Cedar Lake is south of the 410

image.png

That is not the station or the lake being referenced.    

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Hello 00Z GFS!   

Some rain Sunday afternoon and then a glorious 4th on this run.  

gfs-deterministic-nw-t2m_f_max6-6979200.png

This looks like another classic case of the GFS effing up the ULL, though. No way in hell will it backtrack like that. Zero chance.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Again… doesn’t that prove his point that it’s not representative? It’s 600 feet higher and deeper in the Cascades.

It has a 125 year history of rain data.   And this April and May was the most persistently wet in history there.   Followed by 1984 and 2010.    And then it rained almost every day for the first 20 days of June as well.    It was definitely representative of how persistently wet it was here as you know... just a few miles to the west.    

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

What the fūck is this nonsense?

Shut this model down immediately.

4D725F18-C68D-4FE8-8DD3-05DE9C110BB5.gif

Well hopefully it has next Monday right... it still has not backed off yet that day but its still really nice.   

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-6957600.png

It comes down to, Snoqualmie Falls and Cedar Lake stations are great because they have records going back many decades so they’re good approximations. But they’re not that great of a representation of my home, which is why I set up a weather station for day to day. 

Your location is very unique.   You could walk across the street into 90 degree sun the last 3 days.   That is no joke.  

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Well hopefully it has next Monday right... it still has not backed off yet that day but its still really nice.   

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-6957600.png

It’s already lost its marbles at that point.

I advise everyone to ignore the GFS completely. Just complete and utter trash. Useless.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

It’s already lost its marbles at that point.

I advise everyone to ignore the GFS completely. Just complete and utter trash. Useless.

FWIW... the GFS is not that bad within 7 days.    The 00Z ICON looks quite similar for next Monday.     The stuff beyond day 7 looks silly on the GFS.   But we don't need that ULL to back up that much to have decent weather either.  

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

What the fūck is this nonsense?

Shut this model down immediately.

4D725F18-C68D-4FE8-8DD3-05DE9C110BB5.gif

It wants to put lows into the gulf of alaska so bad it literally pulls it in the opposite direction. Why on earth is this model so janky

• Like 1
  • lol 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024