June 2022 - Summer Begins

TT-SEA

According to CoCoRaHS observations my area recorded 4.41 inches of rain in May, and 5.48 inches in April (but missing data from the 26th to 29th). PDX recorded 3.78 inches in may, so my location seems to be a bit wetter but maybe I just got caught under a few downpours that brought the total up.

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Looks like Cliff is on side of enough is enough... as he says "this is getting very old".   

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2022/06/one-day-above-70f-and-back-into-murk.html

cm56.png

I think about 90% of people probably are around here. Of course many of us on the forum don’t feel that way but this forum isn’t really an accurate gauge of many peoples in preferences in real life 😂. The only person I know who’s also been enjoying this weather at work is my manager. 

• Like 3
  • Rain 1
  • Weenie 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

3 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

The preference wars thread is feeling lonely 

I don’t really see the problem in talking about weather preferences on the main thread here as long as it’s not descending into chaos with BS and stuff. I don’t see how anything that was just posted in the last 30 minutes was antagonistic in any way. 

• Like 4

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Lost power today for about 8 hours and missed out on what is probably an impressive rain total by any standard, but especially for June.

I did record .43" and I'm guessing at least .6-8" fell in addition to that.  We had a heavy band parked over us for a few hours during the afternoon.

Talk about a good case for an analog rain gauge.  At any rate that's all I use.  The electronic ones get wanky after a while I've found.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We are finally getting some better looking model runs.  The ECMWF and GFS are "only" showing about an inch over the next 10 days now.

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

7 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

We are finally getting some better looking model runs.  The ECMWF and GFS are "only" showing about an inch over the next 10 days now.

Yeah yesterday's model runs were pretty crazy, 7 inches of rain in 15 days lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Omegaraptor said:

By the time you get into the second half of June one or two strong showers can easily make the difference between above average and below average. This is after all a Mediterranean climate.

I think the label of Med climate around here is kind of misleading.  Places on the Med Sea actually have wetter summers and much drier winters than we do.  Not to mention warmer temps overall.  The only real thing that is accurate about the label is summer is drier than winter.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Doiinko said:

Yeah yesterday's model runs were pretty crazy, 7 inches of rain in 15 days lol.

I would have had to seriously think about taking a trip somewhere if that were to actually happen.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Maybe some hope.  Rain stats are impressive.   SEA was over 41 inches in 2020 and 43 inches in 2021 as well... so its been wet since 2019.  

sea2.png

olm2.png

• Weenie 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Maybe some hope.  Rain stats are impressive.   SEA was over 41 inches in 2020 and 43 inches in 2021 as well... so its been wet since 2019.  

sea2.png

olm2.png

Not as wet in Portland as Seattle excepting this year I think. This water year is going to end up above average even if the rain completely stops now, but every water year besides this year has been drier than average since October 2017.

For the calendar years 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 were below normal in Portland. 
I think it's been different in your area and the Puget Sound though, I'll check Seattle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doiinko said:

Not as wet in Portland as Seattle excepting this year I think. This water year is going to end up above average even if the rain completely stops now, but every water year besides this year has been drier than average since October 2017.

For the calendar years 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 were below normal in Portland. 
I think it's been different in your area and the Puget Sound though, I'll check Seattle.

In Seattle this water year is far above average, last one was just slightly below (calendar year was wetter though), and the 2019-2020 year was slightly above average.

Looks like the 00Z GFS is wet again for Thursday.

But it is obviously still working out the details.    The difference for late in the week from the 00Z run last night to the new 00Z run tonight is significant.    Much less consolidated now.

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-4970400 (1).png

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-4970400.png

• Like 3
  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

16 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Any time I talk with any of our family members still living in WA (from Bellingham to Monroe to Carnation to Tacoma to Eatonville) literally all of them say how tired they are of the rain... How it's been nothing but constant rain almost every day. And it serves as a great reminder of one of the reasons we left the area - needing a break from the neverending gray/rain.

Although today was a pretty Seattle-like day here, the majority of our weather is sunny with occasional thunderstorms moving through dropping a quick 1-2 inches of rain. My kind of spring/summer weather right there!

Good timing to leave, I guess, although obviously this spring has not been normal or anything close to most recent springs in that respect.

A forum for the end of the world.

5 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Good timing to leave, I guess, although obviously this spring has not been normal or anything close to most recent springs in that respect.

Yeah, big reason this spring also stands out the way it does is the last few…have been much warmer and sunnier. I was only 12-13 years old during our last springs like this so I can’t distinctly remember them too well…so this has been a fun one for me to experience. I do understand other people not being a fan though. 

• Like 5

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

7 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Yeah, big reason this spring also stands out the way it does is the last few…have been much warmer and sunnier. I was only 12-13 years old during our last springs like this so I can’t distinctly remember them too well…so this has been a fun one for me to experience. I do understand other people not being a fan though. 

The big reason this spring stands out is because its been so consistently cold and wet and so far from normal.   We always have plenty of cloudy, wet days in the spring.   I remember it drizzling all of Memorial Day weekend in 2015 of all years.    Its just been so consistent this year. 

• Rain 1
  • Weenie 7

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The big reason this spring stands out is because its been so consistently cold and wet and so far from normal.   We always have plenty of cloudy, wet days in the spring.   I remember being it drizzling all of Memorial Day weekend in 2015 of all years.    Its just been so consistent this year. 

I mean every spring has its gloomy wet periods…the only one that really didn’t was 2019. April kinda had a stretch of wet weather but that spring was very dry. Just 4.25” of rain that entire spring…while just this May alone had 3.95”. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

3 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

I mean every spring has its gloomy wet periods…the only one that really didn’t was 2019. April kinda had a stretch of wet weather but that spring was very dry. Just 4.25” of rain that entire spring…while just this May alone had 3.95”. 

There was some flooding in the south Willamette Valley in April though. Other than that it was pretty dry farther north.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Yeah... 2019 was odd.   And then it got progressively wetter as the summer went on.

I think you might be referring to 2008 and 2011 when you said the last time we had a spring like this and you don't remember it well.    Those were cold springs for sure... but not even in the ballpark in terms of consistently wet.    This year has been a double whammy.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... 2019 was odd.   And then it got progressively wetter as the summer went on.

I think you might be referring to 2008 and 2011 when you said the last time we had a spring like this and you don't remember it well.    Those were cold springs for sure... but not even in the ballpark in terms of consistently wet.    This year has been a double whammy.    

Yeah I’ve got the stats for every year 2005 to present…just can’t remember a ton about them. 2011 was quite a bit wetter and cooler here locally. 2008 was cooler but much drier. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Yeah I’ve got the stats for every year 2005 to present…just can’t remember a ton about them. 2011 was quite a bit wetter and cooler here locally. 2008 was cooler but much drier. 

There was 4.94 inches of rain at the North Bend station in May 2011... and 6.49 inches this year.

But the big difference was 15 dry days in May 2011.    That makes a world of difference in people's perception when 50% of the days are dry.   No such luck this year.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

There was 4.94 inches of rain at the North Bend station in May 2011... and 6.49 inches this year.

But the big difference was 15 dry days in May 2011.    That makes a world of difference in people's perception when 50% of the days are dry.   No such luck this year.

We had 16 dry days in 2011 compared to 11 this year. Also 3.80” in 2011 compared to 3.95” this year. Another difference was May was over a degree cooler in 2011 as well. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

20 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Funny thing about 2019 is there was a marked S/N gradient with precip. CA was record wet that May. It got drier and drier as you went farther north.

Now it's the opposite. Up north, storm after storm and extremely wet. South of the 42nd parallel they can't get a storm to save their lives.

• Like 1

Lol I have no words.

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Lol I have no words.

The rain misses you and goes right to Tim. :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Funny thing about 2019 is there was a marked S/N gradient with precip. CA was record wet that May. It got drier and drier as you went farther north.

Now it's the opposite. Up north, storm after storm and extremely wet. South of the 42nd parallel they can't get a storm to save their lives.

Yep, 2019 was a chilly May down here.