Jump to content
The Weather Forums

June 2022 - Summer Begins


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MWG said:

When I thought we wouldn't get to 100F this year for June it looks like we might for the last week of the month. 🤮

The average maximum temperature recorded in the month of June is 99F in Medford so I guess not hitting 100F would be almost below average. I also didn't realize there are only 5 years on record (since 1911) that Medford hasn't hit 100F. I'm always amazed how different a climate it is down there.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.24 (2010)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 5.8"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5"

2021-22: 21.75" (12/24: Tr, 12/25: 5", 12/26: 3", 12/27: 1.5", 12/28: Tr, 12/29: 1", 12/30: 3", 1/5: 2.5", 1/6: 1", 2/2: Tr, 2/21: 1.5", 2/22: 0.75", 2/23: 1.5", 2/24: 1")

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

This too shall pass.

  • Storm 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skagit Weather said:

The average maximum temperature recorded in the month of June is 99F in Medford so I guess not hitting 100F would be almost below average. I also didn't realize there are only 5 years on record (since 1911) that Medford hasn't hit 100F. I'm always amazed how different a climate it is down there.

Yeah, just was hoping for not hitting it since last year was brutal and has been nice but still better though. 

image.png.bd8c45408650e4ca2b0c1988d51def8d.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Some people will have their last day on earth during a heatwave. 
:(

A lot of people did last year. :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Some people will have their last day on earth during a heatwave. 
:(

Same thing every time the roads are icy.   🙁

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Omegaraptor said:

Just did some work in the backyard getting things ready for the summer. Cannot express in words how nice it feels outside.

Get your swimming pool ready? 😜  Beautiful day, glad I was able to have it off due to the holiday. Going to be the start of our first long stretch of sunny and warm weather this year.

7DayForecast-2.jpg.c50842db5a8b39937e53faf76ad0031c.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Sick 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Get your swimming pool ready? 😜  Beautiful day, glad I was able to have it off due to the holiday. Going to be the start of our first long stretch of sunny and warm weather this year.

7DayForecast-2.jpg.c50842db5a8b39937e53faf76ad0031c.jpg

Surprisingly it's only hit 71 today at PDX. Then again they might have cleared out later than the west metro. Those forecasted temps seem a bit higher than other places, but I don't know.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Get your swimming pool ready? 😜  Beautiful day, glad I was able to have it off due to the holiday. Going to be the start of our first long stretch of sunny and warm weather this year.

7DayForecast-2.jpg.c50842db5a8b39937e53faf76ad0031c.jpg

Should feel extra hot since you've been accustomed to cool. I hope {Insert name of person who loved this spring} will be OK.

  • Like 1
  • Troll 1
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

It’s time 

  • Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Should feel extra hot since you've been accustomed to cool. I hope {Insert name of person who loved this spring} will be OK.

Hoping we can stay below 90 up here.    I want to fully enjoy the weekend and it becomes a little less enjoyable above 90.    We will be on the water both days but even on the water it gets a little uncomfortable above 90.    

  • Like 1
  • lol 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lake Sammamish water temp is back down to 65 after peaking at 68 before this last trough.    But the warm up should be rapid and impressive after Wednesday.   I bet the water temp is in the mid to maybe upper 70s one week from today and should stay there until September. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Hoping we can stay below 90 up here.    I want to fully enjoy the weekend and it becomes a little less enjoyable above 90.    We will be on the water both days but even on the water it gets a little uncomfortable above 90.    

Your weather thresholds need some tweaking, adapt, live in the moment, all that good stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

Your weather thresholds need some tweaking, adapt, live in the moment, all that good stuff.

Yep... have to make the best of any situation.   But if I had my choice it would stay below 90 this weekend.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Phil said:

No they don’t. La Niña odds actually increase heading into fall/winter.

AEF89353-F4A0-4EB9-BA1C-38A493B88C6C.jpeg

We all ready Got Cosgrove against La nina so let's not have cpc against it eather.Larry is a good met very good just don't know what he seeing but strange things can and do happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yep... have to make the best of any situation.   But if I had my choice it would stay below 90 this weekend. 

I can almost picture you saying, "alright everyone, temp is now 91°, wrap it up, we gotta go home, too hot to be out here on the lake, let's go"!  😁

  • lol 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

I can almost picture you saying, "alright everyone, temp is now 91°, wrap it up, we gotta go home, too hot to be out here on the lake, let's go"!  😁

Well you go ahead and think that.   We were out there when it was 102 degrees on 6/26 last year.   But the next 2 days were just too hot to be anywhere in the sun.   Slowly diminishing returns once it gets above 85.   Then rapidly diminishing above 95.     Above 100... it might as well be raining.   You can't enjoy being outside anyways and that would be better for the environment.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
26 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Your weather thresholds need some tweaking, adapt, live in the moment, all that good stuff.

My kids adapted! It was about 97 degrees when this pic was taken…They were definitely living in the moment. 

594948D6-9DEE-4D54-8777-9CAF5FAF0040.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Lake Sammamish water temp is back down to 65 after peaking at 68 before this last trough.    But the warm up should be rapid and impressive after Wednesday.   I bet the water temp is in the mid to maybe upper 70s one week from today and should stay there until September. 

Do you happen to know of a site where Lake WA Temps are tracked? Interested in the Southern end and would be awesome to see historical data as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Well you go ahead and think that.   We were out there when it was 102 degrees on 6/26 last year.   But the next 2 days were just too hot to be anywhere in the sun.   Slowly diminishing returns once it gets above 85.   Then rapidly diminishing above 95.     Above 100... it might as well be raining.   You can't enjoy being outside anyways and that would be better for the environment.  

This spring and early part of summer has been the best for our environment.

  • Like 2
  • lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was forecasted to hit 72F degrees here today, but it topped out at 65F.  

I see the dreams of some are coming true with some hot temps scheduled later this week and plenty of sunshine for them.  For those who want cooler weather, it is forecasted to be 81F here, but who knows if it will actually reach that.  We tend to be several degrees cooler than the forecast.  So stop on by, we got a beach to be cool! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

This spring and early part of summer has been the best for our environment.

Actually not if you want to get technical.   At least not in western WA.  Our trees don't need unusually cold, wet, and cloudy weather to thrive.  They are here based on climo and thrive in climo weather.   Everything exploded when it finally turned warm and humid in early June.   But I know you just want to take the opposite position to generate some fun for yourself.    Our trees would be even happier if it was 40 degrees for the entire warm season and the sun never came out and it rained every day.   Imagine how happy they would be.  👍

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JW8 said:

Do you happen to know of a site where Lake WA Temps are tracked? Interested in the Southern end and would be awesome to see historical data as well. 

It says 66 on this site... which sounds about right if Lake Sammamish is at 65.   Lake Tapps is shallow and warms quickly... but is glacial fed so it does not get as warm as Sammamish.   Tapps has always seemed warm we have been there.  

https://lakemonster.com/lake/WA/Lake Tapps-water-temperature-488

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

Nice evening. 

914264B2-0C34-4225-8364-ECD8885E3C5C.jpeg

  • Like 9

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It says 66 on this site... which sounds about right if Lake Sammamish is at 65..    Lake Tapps is shallow and warms quickly.   It will be quite warm by this time next week.

https://lakemonster.com/lake/WA/Lake Tapps-water-temperature-488

Thanks! This is the only site I'm familiar with. I was asking about lake washington (south of 90), which still shows 58° 🥶. Hoping that jumps up quickly; been way too cold to jump in thus far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

Final sunset of 2022 in the midst of increasing sun angles.

Cooling effects may lag a bit, not kicking in until this weekend.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Snow 2
  • Weenie 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JW8 said:

Thanks! This is the only site I'm familiar with. I was asking about lake washington (south of 90), which still shows 58° 🥶. Hoping that jumps up quickly; been way too cold to jump in thus far.

I updated my post.   Did not realize Tapps was glacial fed.   Shallow definitely helps though.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

Final sunset of 2022 in the midst of increasing sun angles.

Cooling effects may lag a bit, not kicking in until this weekend.

Forks are coming out.   I'm calling it... summer is over.

  • Excited 1
  • Sad 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
1 hour ago, GHweatherChris said:

I can almost picture you saying, "alright everyone, temp is now 91°, wrap it up, we gotta go home, too hot to be out here on the lake, let's go"!  😁

"time to head back inside and rant about the handling of the ULL on the 12z EPS"

  • Like 3
  • lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

"time to head back inside and rant about the handling of the ULL on the 12z EPS"

Make that the GFS!  

  • Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Incredibly wet day in North Central Montana today. Cut Bank has seen 2.57" of rainfall today which is their second highest single day rainfall total on record and it's still raining. Only trailing June 7th 1991 with 2.80". Keep in mind this area only averages ~10" of precip yearly.

Pretty crazy that Southern Montana got hit with all the rain and rapid melt last week and now even the northern areas see record rainfall today. "Only" 0.71 of rainfall here over the last 24hrs but it's still raining.

  • Like 5

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 119.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16"

Highest snow depth: 20"

Coldest high: -5ºF

Coldest low: -25ºF

Number of subzero days: 1

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Incredibly wet day in North Central Montana today. Cut Bank has seen 2.57" of rainfall today which is their second highest single day rainfall total on record and it's still raining. Only trailing June 7th 1991 with 2.80". Keep in mind this area only averages ~10" of precip yearly.

Pretty crazy that Southern Montana got hit last week with all the rain and rapid melt last week and now even the northern areas see record rainfall today. "Only" 0.71 of rainfall here over the last 24hrs but it's still raining.

25% of the annual average in one day is crazy!    

  • Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2022 at 9:36 AM, Phil said:

Yes, or farther south.

The error is the attempt to retrograde and trap said ULL in the GOA. Makes no sense.

I was looking at the 00Z GFS and it appears that there will in fact be a trapped ULL in the GOA this weekend which is directly related to the warmth in the PNW and I thought back to this post from a few days ago.    Its a different piece of energy than the system that slides across the Canadian border later this week... but it does retrograde and get trapped.  

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-6169200.png

  • Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thankfully the GFS is probably 5-7 degrees too warm... but still pretty jarring to see given the last 3 months of struggling to even touch 70 in Seattle.  

gfs-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-6288000.png

  • Like 2
  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Actually not if you want to get technical.   At least not in western WA.  Our trees don't need unusually cold, wet, and cloudy weather to thrive.  They are here based on climo and thrive in climo weather.   Everything exploded when it finally turned warm and humid in early June.   But I know you just want to take the opposite position to generate some fun for yourself.    Our trees would be even happier if it was 40 degrees for the entire warm season and the sun never came out and it rained every day.   Imagine how happy they would be.  👍

Don't want to get technical at all, just stating a fact, without hyperbole and lies like the post I am currently replying to.

Also, I don't post just for fun, I call things like I see em.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Don't want to get technical at all, just stating a fact, without hyperbole and lies like the post I am currently replying to.

Also, I don't post just for fun, I call things like I see em.

Sure Chris.   You know that what is best for the trees in western WA is unusually cold and wet weather.   Its much better than climo.    😀

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m 100% certain the GFS is back-digging/trapping that ULL too much next week.

Perfect setup to exploit that bias, too.

  • Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last few run of the GFS have kept the incoming ULL farther offshore early next week.   The 00Z run continues this trend.    It cools down either way though as offshore flow over the weekend abates... but not as much.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

The last few run of the GFS have kept the incoming ULL farther offshore early next week.   The 00Z run continues this trend.    It cools down either way though as offshore flow over the weekend abates... but not as much.

And it’s horses**t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I’m 100% certain the GFS is back-digging/trapping that ULL too much next week.

Perfect setup to exploit that bias, too.

But if you go through the last 5 or 6 runs... its trended a little farther west with each run.    Its probably onto something.   Even the EPS has been trending in that direction.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Phil said:

And it’s horses**t.

Maybe.   Or maybe a weak ULL will actually move through by mid week and another one will move into the GOA at the same time like the 12Z ECMWF showed.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

But if you go through the last 5 or 6 runs... its trended a little farther west with each run.    Its probably onto something.   Even the EPS has been trending in that direction.  

It’s not onto anything.

The forward progression may slow a tad, but it won’t stop and reverse. Zero chance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty sure the placement of the 4CH is what is driving all the different ULL scenarios.  If the 4CH is actually in the position and strength that the 00Z GFS shows then it will be deflecting systems. The GFS is probably overdoing the 4CH and has it too far west. Time will tell.

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-6622800.png

  • Popcorn 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...