July 2022 Observations and Discussions

Clinton

Much of the energy of the MCS is focused over northern Iowa, as expected.  Central into sw Iowa is just getting some gusty outflow followed by weak, bubbly convection.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Reports of 60-70 mph in the Cedar Rapids area, but there was nothing like that here on the west side.  We probably gusted to 40+.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

42 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Reports of 60-70 mph in the Cedar Rapids area, but there was nothing like that here on the west side.  We probably gusted to 40+.

Same here. I would guess 40mph at most. Rain wasn’t overly heavy either. 

• Sad 1

Yesterday's events certainly delivered the goods for many of us on here.  It was fun tracking this 1st round of severe wx over the last week or so and trying to see which model would get it right.  For the most part, I recall several days they had this derecho/MCS event north but when all sudden done, it ended up farther south.  I'm sure there are many smiles this morning 😎...storms love to hug the Hot, Steamy and Bouyant airmass.  Some places just to my south reached highs close to 100F and DP's in the upper 70's.  It was hands down the most sultry day of this summer.

• Like 2

Yesterday my high temp hit 98 and the max heat index was 108.  Very warm and muggy this morning, I could make a run at 100 today with dewpoints in the low 70s.  There is an outflow boundary in the area so maybe some scattered storms in the area this afternoon. 

• Like 1

The next round of a potential widespread MCS event is setting up to hit the same regions over NE/IA and into IL Wed-Thu.  Feast your eyes at this @OttumwaSnomow...you should end up doing good with this opportunity...

0z EPS...

image.gif

Relief from the Hot and Humid days are cometh starting this Fri and into weekend around these parts and then the following week looks like a Top Notch stretch of summer wx.  I could see several days with highs in the 70's, sunny days and low DP's...

image.gif

• Like 6

The CFSv2 continues to deliver a wonderful pattern for many on here as we progress through July and into Aug.  Widespread cool to seasonal temps.  It's going to score a coupe IMO.  Based on everything I'm researching and seeing...this makes a lot of sense.

image.png

I'll add to this post...if the JMA is right (again), the MJO forecast is heading towards Phase 2...

JMAN_phase_51m_small.gif

Phase 2 temp composite...sign me up!

image.png

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Sick 1

On our way to 103 today.  
I’m setting water out for the lizards!  
Now that’s hot.  Had one at the door yesterday waiting for water like a puppy! 😄

Galveston, Tx had a Low of 85!  Crazy. 

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I only got 0.16" of rain last night.  I hope Thursday can provide some widespread soaking rain.

• Like 3

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 87/70 there was 0.12” of rain fall and 45% of possible sunshine. The overnight low here at my house was a warm 71 and there was 0.03” of new rain fall here. For today the average H/L is 83/62 the record high of 104 was recoded in 2012 (I had a 108 at my house that day)

• Like 1

Most of the rain missed south of my area as predicted.  Next wave should miss south as well on thursday.  Oh well.  Looks we "cool" off to the low 80's to mid 80's for the foreseeable future.  Brrrrr.. 

Unless the GFS is correct.  Then we really get HOT again in a week or two.  

• Like 2

Most models are now favoring southern Iowa for heavy rain Thursday.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Video as the storm was approaching last evening here in Holdrege Nebraska. 1.5” of rain in 45 minutes or so and over 75 mph wind gusts with some minimal crop and tree damage. More storms and rainfall formed later in the evening, but weren’t severe  

I see your grass greened up nicely!  Love the look of the ominous shelf cloud.

• Like 1

Some goodies approaching! 

KILN_loop.gif

KJKL_loop (26).gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Nice squall line. Got some outflow winds (I estimate 50-55 on our street), fire/police sirens followed when the downpour and thunder started. The lightning is not as frequent as the MCS event on 6/13 but not bad! 

We still have power but would not surprise me if this took out a few streets outside the immediate downtown parts of Ashland. 

• Like 3

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Temps outdid themselves.   

Sitting at 105 at 5 pm.  
Sun fells like sitting next to a open oven door.  Even the birds are panting.  Most have hauled it to the lake a quarter mile away.  
And yes, there are golfers out in this heat. 🤪

• Like 3
  • Sick 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

The ring of fire appears to have skipped right over me.  Northern Iowa got it yesterday, now it's southern Iowa's turn tonight.  A few spots in sw Iowa could get several inches.

• Like 5

Get ready for a nasty 2nd half of July. 😶

Now coming into focus on the EPS (and other guidance) as convection looks to re-emerge over the IO/E-Hem.

1FE2FC3A-371E-4DAF-B86F-54E0EB2E6494.png

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 3

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

Get ready for a nasty 2nd half of July. 😶

Now coming into focus on the EPS (and other guidance) as convection looks to re-emerge over the IO/E-Hem.

1FE2FC3A-371E-4DAF-B86F-54E0EB2E6494.png

Thats just nasty right there. That's all right. I'll endure it. I like my seasons where they belong.....

Here's to Newtons equal and opposite future-dated reactions.

• Like 2

Forecasting 104-108 for next 8 days.  
Praying for a/c not to fail. 

The water was so hot in the bird bath I’ve started filling it with ice cubes.  At least their water will be cool.  The lizards are grateful as well.   
d@#n we’re ready for a mid nineties cool spell !!

It unofficially hit 111 today.  

• Sun 2
  • scream 1

Cell just popped up overhead, dropped a quick 0.7” and departed. A few rumbles of thunder and 20mph winds accompanied the downpour.

After this, in conjunction with the 4”+ on 7/2, it’s safe to say water concerns have been alleviated for the time being. We’ll see how long it lasts.

Currently 75°F with fog.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Thats just nasty right there. That's all right. I'll endure it. I like my seasons where they belong.....

Here's to Newtons equal and opposite future-dated reactions.

Yeah I mean I leave town on the 31st anyway, so if I have to deal with 10 days of oppressive heat I’ll deal with it.

Unlike out there in the Plains, it has been a relatively tolerable summer so far here. Basically everywhere east of the Appalachians and north of the VA/NC border has avoided real summer heat thus far.

Here ya go.  
Someone tell me when this moves off and returns to norms.  

53249790-E67D-465B-BB4D-AB3CE67D5A8A.png

• scream 2

8 hours ago, Andie said:

Here ya go.  
Someone tell me when this moves off and returns to norms.  

53249790-E67D-465B-BB4D-AB3CE67D5A8A.png

Looks like a PHX forecast....yikes!  On the flip side, you have the nasty humidity to deal with which can be unbearable.

• Like 1

The excessive heat warning expires tonight for my area as a weak front will push through.  Northern Missouri getting pounded with rain  with 2-6 inch amounts being reported around St. Joe.  Hoping some clouds from those storms may keep my temp down a few degrees.

• Like 5