July 2022 Observations and Discussions

Clinton

7 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

It appears a very narrow band of storms and heavy rain tracked through Omaha early last night.

I was treated to an amazing light show off to the north, however I just missed out on the heavy rains of 1"+ (only by 4 or 5 miles).

My backyard picked up a whopping 0.05" from the storms last night... pretty big disappointment when it looked like we would actually get some good moisture... my yard could have used the drink but Mother Nature said not so fast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

Well, well, well, I have storms coming my way from Purcell.

Never mind, the storms collapsed before it got to me.

I either get the worst of the storms or none of the storms.

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

17 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Speaking of normal (or rather, the lack thereof) we notched a high of 93 today, marking our 11th day so far this month with a high of 90+.

Did I mention I'm so looking forward to the average/slightly below average temps next week?! A much-welcomed mid-summer reprieve of sorts!

6th day over 90 here, #16 since June 1st. Overall though June featured my hottest days. I haven't had mid-90's since 6/22.

Doesn't negate the humidity, even the days in the upper 80's can feel pretty warm if your air isn't running.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

3 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Yeah. Worth noting he disagrees with me. I'm faster. He's probably got it breaking all the way down in September. 

I see breaks before then for you starting around mid week one or so. Euro looks mixed, i think, so we'll see. 

Promising thing is that it breaks, eventually.

We’ve seen a few breaks with rain putting a toe in Texas lately. Heat still winning. But that how it works in the Southern Plains.  
We’re the jam in the jam sandwich! 
I’ve seen it bake through September/October, so August will be a REAL break.  

99* at 6 pm. Not bad. 
We ARE weary for sure. 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Good chance Sunday night stays well into the 80s here. Maybe even the mid-80s if there’s enough convective debris.

At least next Tues/Wed should offer some relief. Still looks pretty humid, however.

Going to be a crapload of water in this airmass sitting over the SE/East Coast. Many days with 2”+ PWAT here.

Dewpoint machine.

A01AAE1D-4BC1-4C7D-BBA8-C9332922C30B.gif

• Like 3
  • lol 1

We’ve only had 2 lows below 70°F since June 29th. And it doesn’t look like we’ll see any sub-70°F lows for at least the next 2 weeks.

Daytime highs haven’t been too bad, but the warm nights are getting ridiculous. Any random cloudy night keeps us in the mid-70s or higher now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Going to be a crapload of water in this airmass sitting over the SE/East Coast. Many days with 2”+ PWAT here.

Dewpoint machine.

A01AAE1D-4BC1-4C7D-BBA8-C9332922C30B.gif

Didn't you say we had a time of year where every day will have a t'storm chance? That's coming next week. ;)

Even with storms I don't see the nights dropping much below 70. Yesterday we had a low of 73 despite all the crazy lightning and even one heavy cell that rolled on top of me.

2022-07-22 19_43_01-Window.png

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

We’ve only had 2 lows below 70°F since June 29th. And it doesn’t look like we’ll see any sub-70°F lows for at least the next 2 weeks.

Daytime highs haven’t been too bad, but the warm nights are getting ridiculous. Any random cloudy night keeps us in the mid-70s or higher now.

I've surprisingly had 14 lows below 70 this month, but I think that comes to an end with this PWat train coming through.

Expect the dew points to match the temperature when the sun is down! 

Missing the 45 degree lows in Klamath Falls already. ;)

• scream 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Sorta reminds me of the summer nights in AZ during the Monsoon season...it can get pretty humid there also when the Monsoonal Flow really comes up from the Baja/PAC.  In fact, this weekend we will see a perfect set up for tremendous moisture for the state of AZ.  DP's are forecast to be in the mid/upper 60's but I've seen hit the low 70's with overnight temps in the 80's.  So ya, I know how you feel!

Woke up to the sound of Thunder.  Flood Watch hoisted.  Flood Warnings up in the northern counties.  Let the party begin!  Training storms at night time is always fun to watch unfold...boy, is it warm and muggy out there this morning!

image.png

• Like 1

In a hotel room by Denver. That was another hot drive today from Rapid City. Highest temp I saw was 99 and the humidity was 10-12%. Dry heat! We drove through eastern Wyoming and there is absolutely nothing out there. Very unpopulated and long distances between towns and gas stations. Saw 2 longhorn bulls!

Tomorrow we head to Grand Junction, CO. Should be a beautiful drive through the CO mountains. I could see em from the distance today once we got to Cheyenne, WY. And I could see snow on top of a couple of the peaks....even from that far away. Really amazing to see that from afar while I was in the 90s at my current location. Gotta love and respect weather.

• Like 2

"Taste of Autumn"....where do I sign???  Later next week is going to FEEL mighty nice for a lot of this region my friends.  Any time you can get overnight temps in the low 50's in late July and not FRY...sign me up every time!  Summer time bonfire season will be common next weekend.  Love the smells of burning wood throughout the neighborhood.

Meantime, on the other side of the country...

@Phil, now imagine DP's a bit higher than this while temp is near 100F at 2:00am local time???

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 4.18.44 AM.png

This is what fascinates me about the weather, esp the pattern we are seeing right now across our continent.  How often do you see troughs dig so far south in the middle of Summer?  I can recall several times this past Autumn/Winter where we had a similar pattern cycle through. Just remarkable.  The same potent short wave that traversed the N GL's earlier this week got blocked up in Ontario and will sit and spin for daysss...then another one follows up on its heels which will deliver the "Autumn Feel" next weekend.

1.gif

• Like 1

We got lightning overnight, but the storms refused to sag south at all so we barely got any rain.  We had better get something tonight because the next ten days look very dry.

• Popcorn 1
  • Angry 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Yesterdays official H/L at Grand Rapids was 90/68 There was no rain fall as of midnight, there was 95% of sunshine. I recorded a trace of rain fall from this mornings storms that passed to the SW of here. I had a overnight low of 71 the official overnight low at GRR looks to have been 73. At the current time with clouds to the south and some clear skies to the north it is 73. The record high for today is 101 set in 1934 and the record low of 45 was set in 1947 and again in 1985.

So far meteorological summer at Grand Rapids and Holland has been just a little warmer than average. At Muskegon June was near average and so far July has been warmer then average. At Lansing June and July have been warmer than average. As for the number of 90 degree days so far Grand Rapids is at 7 Holland is at 6 Muskegon is at 4 Kalamazoo is at 11 and at Lansing they are at 14 so far. Thus as has been the case for some time Lansing for some reason is running warmer than most other locations.

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

14 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Next week keeps looking better and better for KC peeps.  How about a few days of thunderstorms with temps in the low 80s the euro thinks so and now the GFS is headed that way.

Yep, I saw that too. I think that rainfall/w storms as well, arrives in my neck of the woods by midweek. Fingers crossed they make it here.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Morning torrential rains…

That sound of rain feels so good hearing it hit the ground. Its been so long since I've seen rainfall in that magnitude. Nothing like free water from Ma Nature.

• Like 2

April 2024:

52 minutes ago, westMJim said:

Yesterdays official H/L at Grand Rapids was 90/68 There was no rain fall as of midnight, there was 95% of sunshine. I recorded a trace of rain fall from this mornings storms that passed to the SW of here. I had a overnight low of 71 the official overnight low at GRR looks to have been 73. At the current time with clouds to the south and some clear skies to the north it is 73. The record high for today is 101 set in 1934 and the record low of 45 was set in 1947 and again in 1985.

So far meteorological summer at Grand Rapids and Holland has been just a little warmer than average. At Muskegon June was near average and so far July has been warmer then average. At Lansing June and July have been warmer than average. As for the number of 90 degree days so far Grand Rapids is at 7 Holland is at 6 Muskegon is at 4 Kalamazoo is at 11 and at Lansing they are at 14 so far. Thus as has been the case for some time Lansing for some reason is running warmer than most other locations.

It has been a very sunny Summer w/ very few isolated storms around thus far, which I find it so weird. I think, back in June, my area had one strong (not severe) t'stm, which included small pea size hail, hvy rainfall and damaging winds (which gusted up to 66mph) here in the Metro Airport. That was basically about it as far as thunderstorm activity goes. Very odd!

• Like 1

April 2024:

Local wx reporting station says 2.23” fell from that storm earlier in my neighborhood.  Very impressive!  3-6” totals up north has fallen.   People up there are prob getting flooded out.  More storms, possibly tornadic later tonight?  Wild couple days of wx setting up here.

• Like 4
  • scream 1

Send any extra Tom!

101-2 today. Sunny. Dry as a bone. 
I could put this on auto post.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Heat is on the move……

While highs may fall short of records in most locations during the upcoming heat wave in the Northwest, temperatures will average 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit above normal in a stretch of five to seven days and during what is typically the hottest part of the year.

Heat will build later this weekend into early next week in the Northwest and temperatures are likely to reach the highest levels of the summer so far.

ADD46EC4-32E0-4978-BFE0-5E9426FA854E.webp

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andie said:

Heat is on the move……

While highs may fall short of records in most locations during the upcoming heat wave in the Northwest, temperatures will average 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit above normal in a stretch of five to seven days and during what is typically the hottest part of the year.

Heat will build later this weekend into early next week in the Northwest and temperatures are likely to reach the highest levels of the summer so far.

ADD46EC4-32E0-4978-BFE0-5E9426FA854E.webp

There's a possibility we tie or break the record for number of 95+ days in a row (6 in July 1941 and August 1981) in Portland. I thought we already had our turn with the heat last year 😭.

• Sad 1

Looks active for some. Hopefully my area can get a hvy dowpour from this later today and especially late tanite.

https://s.w-x.co/0723amsevere.jpg

• Storm 2

April 2024:

17 minutes ago, Niko said:

Looks active for some. Hopefully my area can get a hvy dowpour from this later today and especially late tanite

We are going to the Tiger game tonight. I hope that with the 6 PM start time that the rain holds off until after the game. But I might be driven home in some storms we shall see.

• Storm 1

Wanted to finish staining the deck before leaving town on 7/30 but this heat is keeping me from working during the midday and afternoon hours.

Tomorrow could make a run at 100°F.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Wanted to finish staining the deck before leaving town on 7/30 but this heat is keeping me from working during the midday and afternoon hours.

Tomorrow could make a run at 100°F.

You knew are luck had to change sooner or later as it was over all a good pattern for us until very recently texas is now sharing in on there woes in terms of heat.

15 minutes ago, weatherfan2012 said:

You knew are luck had to change sooner or later as it was over all a good pattern for us until very recently texas is now sharing in on there woes in terms of heat.

Yeah I’m content with how the early part of summer played out. Plenty of NW flow with heat staying out in the Plains and plenty of thunderstorm activity locally.

Looks like that is changing with the beginning of Bermuda High season, but that’s unavoidable except in developing niño summers. July and August are almost always lost causes.

Since we’ll be in FL/GA from 7/31 to 8/21 (where it will be nasty no matter what), the goal was always to hold off the heat in June, and maybe early July with some luck. And we did just that!