July 2022 Observations and Discussions

Clinton

SPC says it’ll likely issue a severe watch here.

But it’s been cloudy since 8AM, which isn’t usually the case ahead of severe events. Some notable exceptions to that, however (June 2008 being one of them). We’ll see.

• Like 1

Electric demand in Texas.  
We’re on the line every afternoon. 

https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards/systemwidedemand

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Alright that was a decent storm.

Consistent 40-50mph winds, sheets of rain, and frequent lightning. Picked up 1” of rain in 10 minutes..atmosphere wrung itself out like a wet sponge.

Feels much nicer outside now! Dp plunged from 80.8 to 69.3.

• Like 2

10.34” of rain on the month now. Wettest July since 2018.

I think that’s helped keep high temperatures down as well. Been in the mid/upper 90s for the last several days where-as guidance was suggesting low 100s.

• Like 2

Guys,  that is SO unfair.  

• lol 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

OK

When will No Tx see 90* on a regular basis?

Seriously? 

Just now, Andie said:

OK

When will No Tx see 90* on a regular basis?

Seriously? 

Barring tropical activity, maybe not until October? Perhaps others here can offer different perspectives.

How did 2010 and 2011 play out down there?

24 hr tempeture departures. 

Here's a look at current temperatures and 24 hour temperature difference across the region: Kansas City International: 72 / -9 Downtown KC: 70 / -16 Olathe: 73 / -24 Lee's Summit: 72 / -24 St. Joseph: 70 / -9 Kirksville: 72 / -10 Chillicothe: 73 / -10 Sedalia: 75 / -22

• Like 1

I can’t recall re ‘11/‘12.   

Just heard a news article on rolling brown outs/black outs.   

Now I AM worried. 

104*

8 homes burned to ground east Dallas. I’m in Ft Worth. 
I live against 2 fairways of a golf course.  Scary  

103*   22% humidity   
Next 12 days above 100 except 1 @ 97.

F495AD91-0D49-4729-B6B0-13E6730ECAF5.jpeg

• Sad 3
  • scream 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

10.34” of rain on the month now. Wettest July since 2018.

I think that’s helped keep high temperatures down as well. Been in the mid/upper 90s for the last several days where-as guidance was suggesting low 100s.

Thats almost more than I've had in april june, july all together! Over those 4 months my normal rain should be about 17 inches. Last june a friend near me measured 17 inches.  Land of ridiculous  precip swings here.

• Like 2
  • scream 1

14-20 homes involved from slight damage to totally leveled.  They’re still pouring water to it out in 104* heat. 
Wind at 16 mph. Humidity 22%

104* mañana!

• Sad 2

On this date in Iowa weather history in 1936, the all time Iowa record high of 117 degrees occurred at Atlantic and Logan. 🥵🥵🥵 With a low of 84 at both stations, the average temperature for the day was 100.5 degrees!
At Des Moines, the temperature peaked at 110 degrees, which is still tied for the all-time station record.
The heat had a significant impact on people and agriculture. A Des Moines Weather Bureau report stated: "The hot weather caused a great deal of suffering and scores of persons died as a result, while the heat was also a contributing factor in the deaths of hundreds, particularly among the aged. Farm animals suffered greatly. Water supplies were depleted, and all vegetation was baked to such a degree of extreme dryness that a critical fire danger developed...Grass fires 🔥 were numerous during the month. The local fire department 🚒 answered 228 calls to put out grass fires during the month." 295896268_417363710417796_78120651315061Logan, IA COOP observer showing a high of 117 on July 5, 1936. This is the all-time Iowa record high.At Des Moines, the temperature peaked at 110 degrees, which is still tied for the all-time station record.Grass fires were numerous during the month. The local fire department answered 228 calls to put out grass fires during the month.
  • Like 4
  • scream 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Is the da*n weather completely insane or what??!!!  😱

Grizz,  

I feel a bit like I know what they endured.   I’m terrified of a week without A/C.  We’d die like flies.  The 117 is beyond my imagination and I’ve had 111 recently!

• Like 2

Just had my warmest low of the year so far, 74 in Ashland. But the high was only 84. Cloudy all day.

Yesterday had a low of 66. Can't believe most of the lows middle of this summer were under 70.

• Like 4

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

58 minutes ago, snowstorm83 said:

That 0.5-1" turned into scattered light showers today 

Not even a trace of rain at my place today... a grand total of 0.05" of rain for the 7-day period ending this evening after three days this past week of 60-70% chances of rain/ storms. I did enjoy the break from the heat today, but the cool day was wasted again with hardly any moisture to speak of. 

The image below tells the story which is the past 14 days of rainfall here locally. This feels like a recurring nightmare from the boring and comical Winter season pattern we endured around here (there are plenty of other areas here locally that are in the same boat, minus those that have been lucky enough to score a downpour or two). 

No rain for July.png

• Like 7

7 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

That’s too bad. Looking at the radar, just seems like the moisture hit a brick wall the farther east it tried to go. I’m now over 6” for July. It is amazing how we are making up a massive deficit. 

Glad to see that the weather God's have been good to you my friend.  Heading into Summer...I wonder what all of those wx mets are saying that believed all the Doom and Gloom of the drought hanging on into Summer.  I just had a good feeling about this years pattern delivering the goods.

Speaking of delivering, Mother Nature delivered and wonderful day of weather and broke the streak of AN days.  ORD had a high of 76F which is 8 degrees below the normal high of 84F.  Another factoid, yesterday marks the 1st day the average high temp begins its slow track downward.  ORD's avg high peaks at 85F for a couple weeks in July.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bryan1117 said:

Not even a trace of rain at my place today... a grand total of 0.05" of rain for the 7-day period ending this evening after three days this past week of 60-70% chances of rain/ storms. I did enjoy the break from the heat today, but the cool day was wasted again with hardly any moisture to speak of. 

The image below tells the story which is the past 14 days of rainfall here locally. This feels like a recurring nightmare from the boring and comical Winter season pattern we endured around here (there are plenty of other areas here locally that are in the same boat, minus those that have been lucky enough to score a downpour or two). 

No rain for July.png

Gosh, thats a tough pill to swallow.  I remember our area last year in July had been experiencing a severe drought across the northern counties through mid July before some timely rains hit later in the month and into Aug/Sept.  Hang in there  bud, I think you'll get some rains later tonight when the CF pushes through and the 2nd round on Wed.  I'm rooting for you!  CAM's are looking decent for E NE.  The GFS suddenly looks real good for you guys...

image.png

gfs_apcpn_ncus_6.png

• Like 4

Another noticeable observation is how much later the sun is rising above the horizon (5:38am locally).  Twilight begins at 5:06 am while back on June 11th it was at the lowest time of 4:40am.  The seasons are slowly changing!

• Like 5

Yes!  Thank heaven the days are getting shorter and signals Fall !  
I said the word. 😎 Fall !

Low of 83*  Dew 66
Expecting a High of 103* 

I am deep watering trees as of yesterday.  The ground is dry at least 4 feet down.  
Even the fire ants are seeking shelter inside. Another battle line. Golf course looks dead despite watering. I’ll get a photo when the sun comes up. Sad. 

Edit: Large wildfire still burning west of Ft Worth  

The fire at Chalk Mountain has burned through 10 square miles of North Texas, while also destroying more than a dozen homes. According to Texas A&M’s Forest Services’ public information officer, Juan Rodriguez, the cause of the fire is unknown but remains under investigation.

4617DB31-1726-4422-A3B7-DDDE679DF42F.jpeg

9549FF66-113D-44A6-A00C-BA877C4F871A.jpeg

1EDF662F-AA65-4AD1-AD2A-B692BCD2084B.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Cool morning with a temp of 65.  A line of thunderstorms is set to move in, hopefully amounts will be more impressive than yesterday. 

I got a current temp of 63F and with the windows open its kind chilly!  I'm working on my comp and getting goose bumps from the cool fresh air...it feels great tho!

• Like 3

Well, what do we have here...another battle shaping up in terms of the MJO.  The JMA heads into the NULL phase while the Euro briefly takes it into Phase 5 which is a very Hot phase for the central CONUS.  Who wins???

image.png

The JMA...

JMAN_phase_51m_full.gif

The EURO...

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

Yesterday's Euro Weeklies touch Phase 5 but then quickly back into the Null phase...that explains why it torches the Sub Forum for a good 10+ day period starting next week into the middle part of Aug, but then cools the eastern half of the nation mid month onward towards Labor Day.

EMON_phase_51m_full.gif

Is there a timely end to Summer for most of our Sub???  The data continues to point that way and the establishment of the All Mighty "North American Vortex".  Boy, how many years in a row has this been happening up in Canada??  #climatechange

2.gif

• Like 4

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 77/61 there was no rain fall and the sun was out 91% of the time. The overnight low both here in MBY and officially at GRR was 57. I recorded a trace of rain fall this morning and at the current time it is cloudy to the east and clear to the west with a temperature here at my house of 59. For anyone who thought this past spring was cloudy well it looks to maybe have been the cloudiest spring here in Grand Rapids. According to the last issue of the old channel 13 “Weather Guide” the average meteorological spring (1981-2010) at Grand Rapids has 52.7% of possible sunshine. Up to 2013 the lowest average meteorological spring sunshine was reported as 35.6% in 1980. This year the NWS has the meteorological spring sunshine as a reported 35% so yes that looks like this could have been the cloudiest spring at Grand Rapids. In the old Weather Guide 1958 was reported as the sunniest with 65.4%.

• Like 1

Tom, The jet stream hates Texas! 

Here’s the course. They finally turned on the water!  Made a liar out of me. 😀.
Usually beautifully maintained.
It’s brown! 

They’re “chasing rainbows” right now. 

55CB2BD8-45E2-418F-9923-848655B4261B.jpeg

20C362B2-65D7-4593-A5A4-074FB7A27502.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Gosh, thats a tough pill to swallow.  I remember our area last year in July had been experiencing a severe drought across the northern counties through mid July before some timely rains hit later in the month and into Aug/Sept.  Hang in there  bud, I think you'll get some rains later tonight when the CF pushes through and the 2nd round on Wed.  I'm rooting for you!  CAM's are looking decent for E NE.  The GFS suddenly looks real good for you guys...

image.png

gfs_apcpn_ncus_6.png

Fingers crossed Tom, we are WAY overdue here… 

Meanwhile it’s the complete opposite in the St Louis metro area with a Flash Flood Emergency there, radar estimates of 10-14 inches of rain from the west suburbs into downtown St Louis. Numerous water rescues happening right now.

• Like 4
  • scream 3