July 2022 Observations and Discussions

Clinton

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I heard mine about a week ago and it seemed like my entire neighborhood was a symphony of cicadas.  Interesting tid bit and one I will put on my calendar.

It's the first time I've heard of this so lets put it to the test lol.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Lots of talk about Cicadas on here and I found this to be interesting on Terry Swails blog.

There is a weather folklore saying that you can determine the first frost after hearing the first dog day cicada sing. I mentioned earlier that Steve heard his in Lowden, Iowa on July 10th, which he claims is 5 to 6 days later than usual. There are 3 variations of the folklore saying: the frost will occur 12 weeks after, 90 days after and 3 months after the first song. Based on the 10th of July, the first frost would occur as follows under one of those guidelines:

12 weeks - September 20th

90 days - October 8th

3 months - October 10th

Btw, I just checked his math and his calendar dates are way off.  2 weeks off in September.  In fact, 12 weeks from 7-12 is Oct 2nd…hmmm

• lol 1

Nothing beats a low of 55F this morning in mid July. Spectacular weather.

• Like 2
  • scream 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

I finished this morning with 0.88" of rain, considerably more than I was expecting.  A band of 2-4+" fell from far northeast Iowa to far nw IL.

• Like 6

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

3 hours ago, Niko said:

Nothing beats a low of 55F this morning in mid July. Spectacular weather.

Another mid-60's here for a low. Share some of those 50's!

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

@Andie

You thought that this Summer right now has been really bad with highs in the hundreds?

Well, it's about to get worse with me. I'm expecting highs between 105°F and 108°F next week, and Western Oklahoma could get up to between 107°F and 115°F. That is the air temperature, not the heat index. A heat warning has been considered next week because of these very high temperatures. It could be a PDS

• Like 1
  • Sun 3

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

6 hours ago, Phil said:

@Andie really has had it rough.

Wow. That really puts it in perspective! 
We knew it was tough. Just going to the store is an effort lately.  Add humidity, your age, etc and you pray the power doesn’t fail or you’ll be driving to Oklahoma for A/C.  
Easy day today….. 98 at 5 pm.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

4 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

@Andie

You thought that this Summer right now has been really bad with highs in the hundreds?

Well, it's about to get worse with me. I'm expecting highs between 105°F and 108°F next week, and Western Oklahoma could get up to between 107°F and 115°F. That is the air temperature, not the heat index. A heat warning has been considered next week because of these very high temperatures. It could be a PDS

Yeah. Going to be absolute hell here. No other way to say it. Fastest flash drought I have ever seen here. 

Picture says it all.

gfs_apcpn_scus_64.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Storm 1
  • Sick 1

4 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Yeah. Going to be absolute hell here. No other way to say it. Fastest flash drought I have ever seen here. 

Picture says it all.

gfs_apcpn_scus_64.png

Didn’t you just barely escape the drought last year?  You were riding the fine line for most of summer and getting timely rains.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Picture says it all.

gfs_apcpn_scus_64.png

This forecast for Oklahoma City is insane.

3E428FAF-96DB-4974-8B7F-4E3DA1E847F1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sun 3
  • scream 2
  • Sick 2

This is all really insane guys!   

I can see a couple weeks in Texas.  We’re going to get more. We’re south and we get it. But this moving northward is just plain crazy.  Those are insane heat indexes!  

When is this $#!+ going to stop and go back to normal margins?? 
PorQue?  Why is this happening?  I know La Niña but this is intense.  
104 Sat.  Next 2 weeks 101-106*

61354ACD-E1EC-42FE-84A8-F3BC612D28B2.jpeg

• Sun 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

14 minutes ago, Andie said:

I can see a couple weeks in Texas.  We’re going to get more. We’re south and we get it. But this moving northward is just plain crazy.  Those are insane heat indexes!  

You guys do everything you can to prep now. Anticipate what you may need to repair failures.
Deep water NOW.  

I have Well water and our power company (CVEC) is ready for anything, but there is no problems with my power grid, I wished it was the same for ERCOT. 

• Like 1

Yeah, ERCOT really stinks!   Though they’ve not failed yet.  
As long as we have 10 mph winds or better our wind turbines will back us up.  

2 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Fastest flash drought I have ever seen here. 

Last year had a very rapid development of drought of my area, from no drought to Extreme in just 3 weeks, but the rain intercepted it just in time. But not before it wiped out all of the garden plants I was growing, especially the Tomatoes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andie said:

104 Sat.  Next 2 weeks 101-106*

61354ACD-E1EC-42FE-84A8-F3BC612D28B2.jpeg

This forecast mirrors what it's like out west in the "valley of the sun"...here is the 10-day for Fountain Hills, AZ...

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 2.57.14 AM.png

• scream 1

Our area was blessed with a nice uniform rainfall that came in waves that allowed it to soak in quite well all day long.  It was a very cool mid July day with a heavy overcast and only reached a daytime high of 72F.  ORD officially had 0.82" but some areas received over 1" of precip.  I can only imagine what some of you out west and south would do to have a day like this.  Wish I can share!

• Like 5
  • Rain 1

So far this season, our region up north has seen transient levels of higher DP's that haven't really stuck around for days on end.  Last night's 0z Euro suggests that may come to and end as we may be stuck in a higher moisture content air mass. The drier air mass for those of you out west/south will easily BAKE in the relatively lesser humid environment (except for poor @Andie @OKwx2k4 @Iceresistance)

1.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yesterday the official H/L at Grand Rapids was 76/58 officially there was just 0.05” of rain fall. Here in MBY I had a little more with a total of 0.13” of rain fall. There was just 15% of possible sunshine yesterday. The overnight low and current temperature here at my house was 65. For today the record high at Grand Rapids is 97 set in 1894 and 2012. The record low of 42 was set in 1945. The weather for next several days continue to look typical for mid-summer. And there is a chance of some showers. So far the thunderstorm drought continues here in west Michigan

We are now at the half way point of July 2022 and so for in the state of Michigan as a whole most locations have temperatures that are below average. In fact of all the major reporting stations in Michigan only 2 are above average. Here is a list of the major locations and their mean so far and the departure from average. Grand Rapids 71.5 departure -1.2. Lansing 71.9 departure +0.1. Muskegon 72.4 departure +0.8. Holland 71.4 departure -0.2. Th the east Detroit 73.1 departure -0.9. Flint 70.0 departure -0.9. Saginaw 70.1 departure -1.6. So far July has been cool in the north. Alpena 64.4 departure -3.3. Houghton Lake 65.6 departure -2.0. Sault Ste Marie 62.4 departure -3.0. Marquette 63.1 departure -1.9 and Houghton 62.0 departure of -2.5. So far it has been a cool July in Norther Michigan and the UP

• Like 2

Major heat wave for KC starting next week with multiple days of 100+ heat.  Good news according to Gary Lezak is that this will not last into August.  He is forecasting temps to be in the 80s and a wetter period the first week of August, hope he is right! 

• Like 2
  • scream 1

From interview with ERCOT manager with Houston Chronicle. 

“To keep up with record-breaking demand this summer, ERCOT has called on thermal generators (think natural gas, coal and nuclear) to run as much as possible, including having some humming in the background just in case their power is needed in tight grid conditions.”

The Manger is concerned about the thermal generators as they are older machines.  This is so nerve wracking for older or medically challenged residents.  I have high blood pressure and an ongoing inoperable serious issue with my back.   This is really bad news. It just gets worse. Winter, now summer.  Summer being very dangerous.  We need “more dispatchable generation.”
Worth a read………..

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/ERCOT-didn-t-think-the-Texas-summer-would-be-as-17299561.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

• Like 1

It is very muggy outside imby: Almost "Tropical"  temp at 74F

Humidity 86%
Wind Speed SE 10 mph
Barometer 30.02 in (1016.8 mb)
Dewpoint

70°F (21C)

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Just as a heads up!….No Snow Today !  🤠👍

D13CC4B6-4770-4D69-946C-AF6D1D9A4F39.jpeg

• lol 2
  • Sad 1

105°F tomorrow with a slight chance of storms. 

This nasty heatwave starts tomorrow, TWC has 111°F for Next Tuesday. This is going to be really bad. 🤮

• Sick 4
  • Downvote 1

98* High today.  
Nice change ……..however, next week -

3081A793-3D6A-46DD-B3B5-501AE06DBF99.jpeg

• Downvote 1

Any information when we’ll see like 99 or below?   
This is damaging property, crops, & equipment.  

7 minutes ago, Andie said:

Any information when we’ll see like 99 or below?   
This is damaging property, crops, & equipment.  

Later in August maybe? La Niña will rule with an iron fist but could be some tropical activity or undercutting of the ridge by then?

If not, then the torch continues.