On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Looking toasty for Tim’s MN trip. 😬 

56312BAA-922A-46B3-A133-BB8EDE02B3EB.png

Out of curiosity...what's Tim's rent going for these days??

• lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Our tomatoes have just exploded... they have tripled in size in the last 10 days and are cascading over the garden beds now and are out of control.    Obviously the weather has been pretty nice when the tomatoes are this happy.

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Kayla said:

Out of curiosity...what's Tim's rent going for these days??

You want to rent a room?   You can have the entire house during the first week of August!   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12 minutes ago, The Swamp said:

84 in The Swamp now

expected more today

gotta dial back expectations

My phone is advertising near perfection...

Screenshot_20220711-191202_Google.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

26 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You want to rent a room?   You can have the entire house during the first week of August!   

I don't think I could afford your yuppie North Bend pricing.😜

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I don't think I could afford your yuppie North Bend pricing.😜

Friends and family discount for you!  

• Excited 1

57 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sometimes I am awe of the weather models.   There is a small patch of high clouds drifting by Portland and SW WA right now and I distinctly remember seeing that patch race by this evening on the ECMWF runs from like 3 or 4 days ago.   It stood out on the loop because there were no other clouds today.    The fact that we have weather models that can pinpoint the location of a little wisp of high clouds that far out is pretty amazing when you think about it.

How is that impressive, the models would be impressive if they could lock into and be right about a snowy pattern that far out let alone a day out sometimes.  Hard to find it impressive that they kinda showed some wispy clouds that may or may not roll through, seems like luck of the draw really that it happened.  Just me 2 cants.

• Snow 1
  • Storm 1
  • Weenie 5

42 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Looks like our impressive or unimpressively modeled high clouds are just to the south of here well timed to add some color to tonight’s sunset photos. Also quite a bit of smoke from that fire down in California. 

G17_sector_pnw_GEOCOLOR_24fr_20220711-2313.gif

Don't like seeing that smoke heading this way.   

I think the 10-day cooled a bit. Only one day on there hits 90 for me. But probably will be endless hell on Earth for a few forum members in the plains. 

2022-07-11 23_59_57-Ashland, KY 10-Day Weather Forecast _ Weather Underground.png

• Storm 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I was thinking about how the NWS issues blizzard warnings, and I know they've issued some for the Columbia River Gorge (Feb 2021 recently), but I was wondering whether conditions on the west slopes of the West Hills (Bethany, Cedar Mill, Sylvan) and east Portland could merit a blizzard warning being issued in those areas. A NOAA COOP station in Bethany during the December 1968 storm recorded sustained east winds of 30 mph for 3 hours, which means that frequent gusts 35mph+ (and stronger) probably happened, with snow falling and blowing the whole time, so visibility was probably low. That sounds like it could warrant a blizzard warning if something similar happened today, though I'm not sure. I think @Timmy Supercellalso said that there were blizzard conditions in the Bethany area during the January 2004 storm as well. East Portland/Troutdale was probably even windier. If something like that happened again, would it make sense for the NWS to issue a blizzard warning? 

• Popcorn 1

2 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

I was thinking about how the NWS issues blizzard warnings, and I know they've issued some for the Columbia River Gorge (Feb 2021 recently), but I was wondering whether conditions on the west slopes of the West Hills (Bethany, Cedar Mill, Sylvan) and east Portland could merit a blizzard warning being issued in those areas. A NOAA COOP station in Bethany during the December 1968 storm recorded sustained east winds of 30 mph for 3 hours, which means that frequent gusts 35mph+ (and stronger) probably happened, with snow falling and blowing the whole time, so visibility was probably low. That sounds like it could warrant a blizzard warning if something similar happened today, though I'm not sure. I think @Timmy Supercellalso said that there were blizzard conditions in the Bethany area during the January 2004 storm as well. East Portland/Troutdale was probably even windier. If something like that happened again, would it make sense for the NWS to issue a blizzard warning? 

Yup, winds were almost knocking the power out at the Bethany Meadows Apartments. (bumping/flickering)

Standing out on the deck was not a comfortable experience. The sky had the weirdest hue of purple as it happened around when the sun was rising.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

38 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

Day trip to the Cascade Crest to beat the heat. Still warm up there (80s at over 5,000') but lovely scenery and some fun chemtrails high cloud formations.

220711_untitled_004.jpg

220711_untitled_005.jpg

220711_untitled_003.jpg

220711_untitled_001.jpg

Mt Washington is one of Oregon’s prettiest. The Matterhorns of Central Oregon (Thielsen, Broken Top, Washington, Three Fingered Jack) are all old volcanoes with no recent eruptive history (not in the last 10k years). As a result glaciers have eroded away at them.

Same reason Mt Hood looks so much more jagged from Hood River / The Dalles than it does from Timberline / Government Camp. There hasn’t been a big north side eruption in over 7000 years.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Timmy Supercell said:

Yup, winds were almost knocking the power out at the Bethany Meadows Apartments. (bumping/flickering)

Standing out on the deck was not a comfortable experience. The sky had the weirdest hue of purple as it happened around when the sun was rising.

Feb 2014 was also pretty windy (the first storm, the other two not as much), but power was fine at least:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

I think the 10-day cooled a bit. Only one day on there hits 90 for me. But probably will be endless hell on Earth for a few forum members in the plains. 

2022-07-11 23_59_57-Ashland, KY 10-Day Weather Forecast _ Weather Underground.png

Yeah I think we can stay in the “temperate zone” until ~ 7/20.

Upper 80s with dews ~ 70 isn’t bad compared to what it could be. Actually a bit below average. Cherish it while you can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Yeah I think we can stay in the “temperate zone” until ~ 7/20.

Upper 80s with dews ~ 70 isn’t bad compared to what it could be. Cherish it while you can.

If it cools down here enough after that date, do you think PDX/SEA can manage an average/cool July? Even with the cool early June weather, PDX still ended up with a slightly warmer than average month.

5 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

If it cools down here enough after that date, do you think PDX/SEA can manage an average/cool July? Even with the cool early June weather, PDX still ended up with a slightly warmer than average month.

Yes I think so. I don’t expect models to have any clue on the 7/20-7/31 period right now. So many moving parts and potential conduits for error around that timeframe.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 2

23 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Mt Washington is one of Oregon’s prettiest. The Matterhorns of Central Oregon (Thielsen, Broken Top, Washington, Three Fingered Jack) are all old volcanoes with no recent eruptive history (not in the last 10k years). As a result glaciers have eroded away at them.

Same reason Mt Hood looks so much more jagged from Hood River / The Dalles than it does from Timberline / Government Camp. There hasn’t been a big north side eruption in over 7000 years.

We’re due!!

3 hours ago, MV_snow said:

Thank you! Heading to near Campbell River next then the Saanich Peninsula near Victoria. Do you think the drive up to Port Hardy is worth it? It would be cool to see the north end of the island, but it’s a long way from Campbell River and there doesn’t seem to be much up there.

There are a few cool things once you get there.  Telegraph cove and some nice little seaside towns but the drive from Campbell river north isn’t all that spectacular much of the way.  It takes the inland route so basically trees and mountains which you can see anywhere on the island.  You could just as easily do a short little day trip over to Gold River if you’re staying in Campbell river. 

• Like 1

00Z GFS is actually amazingly consistent with temps for the next 10 days.

00Z GEM is also less troughy for the weekend in favor of steady warmth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

00Z GFS is actually amazingly consistent with temps for the next 10 days.

00Z GEM is also less troughy for the weekend in favor of steady warmth.

GEM solution is obvious bulls**t.

No sunset shots tonight.  It wasn't that interesting as the skies were totally clear.  Color was okay.  It was a hot day here.  It hit 80F degrees!  That was hotter than the forecasted 77F.  It cooled off fast though and is now 64F. Quite breezy coming off Possession Sound.  Forecast is pretty much Pacific Northwest summer perfection.  Low 70s, a high 60s.  Some clouds and some sun.  Very nice.  God bless America! :D

Hope everyone is doing swimmingly. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 9.41.31 PM.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MV_snow said:

Thank you! Heading to near Campbell River next then the Saanich Peninsula near Victoria. Do you think the drive up to Port Hardy is worth it? It would be cool to see the north end of the island, but it’s a long way from Campbell River and there doesn’t seem to be much up there.

Some suggestions on your way back from The west coast would be Cathedral Grove, Coombs, Little qualicum falls and Englishman river falls. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

GEM solution is obvious bulls**t.

Trend in all the models today has been towards less troughing this coming weekend.    I don't really care how it gets there... I just like the trend towards another nice summer weekend.  

• Popcorn 1

2 hours ago, Omegaraptor said:

Salem got to 100. Pretty impressive overperformance.

How on earth did that happen? My car thermometer said 100 this afternoon but that usually runs a few degrees high. Silverton was only 95. We hit 90 here, so a 10 degree difference.

• scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

23 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Slow night!

Some good news though. Just got an email from Credit Karma letting me know my score just went up.

Me too. :lol: 

1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

How on earth did that happen? My car thermometer said 100 this afternoon but that usually runs a few degrees high. Silverton was only 95. We hit 90 here, so a 10 degree difference.

PDX only hit 95, but Salem got hotter than they did during the heatwave in June!