On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I don't pay for WB during the offseason but is the EC stuck there too?

Nope, ran quickly on WB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meatyorologist said:

A fading regime's last dying breath?

I certainly hope so. In theory niño-4/WPAC cooling should reduce the prospects of it sticking around, but we’ll see.

46 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I sincerely hope that last year is never 'one upped'.   

I keep getting the feeling it’s gonna over perform in terms of heat somehow. Really hoping we can keep this heatwave just upper 80s low 90s for a few days. I can live with that but once we start talking a few days 93-97 that’s no good. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cloud said:

We have a serious problem if any year is trying to “one up” last year… let say even for the next decade. 

This century is more like it.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Whatever happens in the near term the models are bullish on a retrogression / NW trough for early August.  Can't wait to see how that actually plays out.

• Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Everyone was frothing at the mouth the week before Christmas last year at how cold the models were looking…Dangerous cold that posed a risk to life and nature. We are in a similar situation now with the other side of the temperature scale but I see no frothing. C’MON!!! 
Like Matt I also like extremes as I find them very fascinating. I lost a few shrubs to the low single digit readings we had in late December but nobody seemed to care about that! If I were to say I lost some shrubs during last year’s heatwave people would have jumped all over that with a finger in my face saying “SEE…TOLD YOU! HEAT BAD!” 

At the end of the day it’s all about the preference! Do I want to see us ever top June 2021…Mostly no, however that extreme side of me has a different answer. Would I want to see a more extreme version of January 1950…The practical side of me says mostly no because of the MASSIVE amount of work it would take snow removal wise and the damage it would most likely cause to my house and property…But…That extreme side of me would say BRING IT!! 

Nice morning! 

• Like 4
  • Troll 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

9 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Everyone was frothing at the mouth the week before Christmas last year at how cold the models were looking…Dangerous cold that posed a risk to life and nature. We are in a similar situation now with the other side of the temperature scale but I see no frothing. C’MON!!! 
Like Matt I also like extremes as I find them very fascinating. I lost a few shrubs to the low single digit readings we had in late December but nobody seemed to care about that! If I were to say I lost some shrubs during last year’s heatwave people would have jumped all over that with a finger in my face saying “SEE…TOLD YOU! HEAT BAD!” 

At the end of the day it’s all about the preference! Do I want to see us ever top June 2021…Mostly no, however that extreme side of me has a different answer. Would I want to see a more extreme version of January 1950…The practical side of me says mostly no because of the MASSIVE amount of work it would take snow removal wise and the damage it would most likely cause to my house and property…But…That extreme side of me would say BRING IT!! 

Nice morning! 

PDX dropped to a record breaking low of 25 in December!

• Thanks 1
  • lol 1
  • Snow 2

8 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Nice morning! 

I have the same thoughts if we ever beat the monthly snowfall record of Jan 1916 which currently stands at 238"

Last Dec we had 110" and it was nightmare with delayed street plowing, power outages and an ice dam on my roof. But at the same time breaking the record with like a 250" month would be incredible. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 2

That upwelling wave is d**n impressive. One of the fastest rises in the 20°C isotherm depth ever recorded in July.

Haven’t had a strong La Niña in tandem with +QBO and increasing solar since 2010/11, and that was one of the blockiest winters on record in the NH. Lots of great winters on that list, including 1949/50 and 1955/56.

The cool niño-4/tropical WPAC is also reminiscent of 2010/11, as is the quiet WPAC tropical season.

Has to be a top analog for 2022/23.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Phil said:

That upwelling wave is d**n impressive. One of the fastest rises in the 20°C isotherm depth ever recorded in July.

Haven’t had a strong La Niña in tandem with +QBO and increasing solar since 2010/11, and that was one of the blockiest winters on record in the NH. Lots of great winters on that list, including 1949/50 and 1955/56.

The cool niño-4/tropical WPAC is also reminiscent of 2010/11, as is the quiet WPAC tropical season.

2010/11 was okay in the Willamette Valley for cold (only 1.8" of snow at PDX though) but I'd definitely prefer 1949/50 and 1955/56. I really hope we see a regionwide arctic blast though, even if it's dry. Dec 2013 was the last one to drop below -12c at 850mb at SLE

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

I liked 2010-11! Lovely events in November and February! 

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Meant to post this pic the other day from Doc's Marina Grill on Eagle Harbor.   We were actually there right after you posted this.   What an awesome place to spend the summer!  Is the boat you are working on in the background here?   

From the restaurant looking east you can actually see the tops of the buildings in downtown Seattle.    But Bainbridge Island feels like a world away.  

20220719_151131.jpg

Thanks Tim and actually yes that is the row of docks I am working at.  I am having a great time.  I walk by those tables everytime I go to the marina.  Luckily for me this is 10 to 15 minute walk from my house.

BTW order the El Portal burger at Docs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Randyc321 said:

Thanks Tim and actually yes that is the row of docks I am working at.  I am having a great time.  I walk by those tables everytime I go to the marina.  Luckily for me this is 10 to 15 minute walk from my house.

BTW order the El Portal burger at Docs

Too funny... I actually ordered the El Portal and it was awesome.  

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I liked 2010-11! Lovely events in November and February! 

10-11 was a good example that winters don't always blow their load early. The southern mountains had no shortage of snow going into Spring.

Huge difference with this last winter, even though it had a snowy December like 2010, there was about 8-10 weeks it didn't snow from early January to mid-March where I used to live.. 

• Like 4

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Another top 5 July unfolding for them? lol 

This is several top tier Julys since 2013. 

2022-07-20 12_54_56-Klamath Falls, OR 10-Day Weather Forecast _ Weather Underground.png

• Sad 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

8 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Weather.com is forecasting 3 consecutive 100s at Sunriver! Getting to triple digits there is not common at all.

I bet they go years in a row topping around 98 or 96.

Between 7/2/2013 - 6/27/2021 there were no triple digits at KLMT but there was usually a 99 every once in a while.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

2 minutes ago, GobBluth said:

Looks like the typical 100-102 heat wave that Portland gets a couple times a summer. 

2012 even had one of those in early August. 

But that was the last year I can remember the hottest point occurring in that window. Summer was more often like that when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26,