On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

Gonna be a lot of 90F+ hope people have lots of water and AC.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

15 minutes ago, The Swamp said:

Going to be a very dangerous period coming up.

Drink lots of water and try to stay hydrated.

I can't believe some people on here are celebrating the difference in ONE DEGREE from model to model.

My god.  Does it really matter if it's 99 or 100?

But you said it was just a nice sunny period coming up.   😀

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Pretty sure if its 100 degrees in Seattle then it will be at least 90 degrees in your area based on past history.

Man why do you have to be such a jerk with all of this *reality* crap?!?!?   Please let me live in my fantasy world for a little while longer.

• lol 1

Guest administrator

Looking forward to the heat.

Also, if Mr. Marinepushkillsmorethantheunwashedfilthofmeatyologistsbackyard keeps it up with his summer editions of his "the traffic cams show wet and bare pavement", then I'll just have to make him admin of the jackass subforum with Kevin, Josh, and Link.

40 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Good morning! 
It’s cloudy and chilly. 

Clouds are fairly broken here this morning... already getting some sun breaks.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Another surprise Thundershower in progress.  Thunder kinda startled me while I was on a work Zoom. lol

I was watching that on the satellite... that is like the 3rd time in a couple weeks that has happened.   Each of these ULLs seems to generate enough lift over there to produce convection.

4 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Hmmmm the new gfs keeps us pretty toasty next weekend too. Today feels good though low of 58 cloudy and 60 degrees. 

Looks like a good retrogression signal at 240 hours.   But that will probably be different on the next run.

• Snow 1

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Looks like a good retrogression signal at 240 hours.   But that will probably be different on the next run.

Yeah still pretty hard to pin down when this will end. Definitely think it won’t be over until Friday at the earliest Saturday and Sunday could still be warm but hopefully we can get the heat done by Saturday. 

Just now, Deweydog said:

This may end up being a pretty rare setup. Can’t recall ever seeing such a consistent signal for thicknesses of 580dm+ with such consistent light to even moderate onshore flow at times.

Pick your poison - onshore flow and high thicknesses for a stickier feel, or offshore flow and downsloping 110+ heat from the east side.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

6 minutes ago, GobBluth said:

Pick your poison - onshore flow and high thicknesses for a stickier feel, or offshore flow and downsloping 110+ heat from the east side.

Could be sneaky reversals though, which would take the edge off things. The models are very consistent in showing the broad thermal trough resides over the basin the majority of the time.

• Snow 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

12 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Have to follow up on this... now that its actually happening.   

This is next 3.5 days per the 18Z ECMWF.    Goofy GFS was showing 'back digging' and its actually going to happen.    

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1658426400-1658426400-1658750400-10.gif

That’s why it’s important to look at the entire NH view when the wavebreak is actually off the screen. If I’d done that I would’ve seen it.

In the end it wasn’t the same error that’d plagued the GFS in the GOA. This was the NW-Pacific and Siberia.

• Like 1

Yesterday evening got so humid condensation starting seeping through the (failing) weather stripping on the kitchen window. Had to stick a wash rag there to soak it up. :wacko:

• Rain 1
  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

The GEM says no to retrogression. 

12Z GFS ultimately goes right back to ridging as well.  

• Sad 1
  • Sun 1

22 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

This may end up being a pretty rare setup. Can’t recall ever seeing such a consistent signal for thicknesses of 580dm+ with such consistent light to even moderate onshore flow at times.

The long lasting nature of this thing is definitely what will stand out the most. It’s very unusual for Seattle to see more than 4 straight highs in the 90’s and they have a decent chance of that.

• Sun 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yesterday evening got so humid condensation starting seeping through the (failing) weather stripping on the kitchen window. Had to stick a wash rag there to soak it up. :wacko:

That's gross. The first time I worked back East in summertime I found out that you have to use the defroster in your rental car to get rid of the moisture that was on the inside of the windshield. I was like WTF is this? In California the defroster is only for removing the frost on the outside of the windshield. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, The Swamp said:

Going to be a very dangerous period coming up.

Drink lots of water and try to stay hydrated.

I can't believe some people on here are celebrating the difference in ONE DEGREE from model to model.

My god.  Does it really matter if it's 99 or 100?

Doesn’t look like the same record smashing heat that other places in the NH have been seeing, though.

Days getting shorter faster each day too. We’ll be into August in a little over a week, then the end of this useless f**king season will be in sight. Good riddance.

• Weenie 3

We’ve had a lot of extended 90+ runs down here the past 7-8 years. This looks to join the long list. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

The long lasting nature of this thing is definitely what will stand out the most. It’s very unusual for Seattle to see more than 4 straight highs in the 90’s and they have a decent chance of that.

Reminds me of late July 2018. Long stretch with no huge spike/access to offshore flow. 

• Like 3
  • Sun 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Doesn’t look like the same record smashing heat that other places in the NH have been seeing, though.

Days getting shorter faster each day too. We’ll be into August in a little over a week, then the end of this useless f**king season will be in sight. Good riddance.

Maybe not on the top end but the duration of the 90+ temps does look record breaking at this point. 

• Sad 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Days are getting longer in February at the same rate as they are getting shorter in August.   And February has become our most consistently cold and snowy month.  

2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Maybe not on the top end but the duration of the 90+ temps does look record breaking at this point. 

But at least it’s 90s with lows in the 50s/60s, instead of 100s.

I could deal with that, begrudgingly. Would prefer much cooler but at least it won’t be dangerous.

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Days are getting longer in February at the same rate as they are getting shorter in August.   And February has become our most consistently cold and snowy month.  

A lot of it is psychological. Knowing solar radiation is getting weaker each day and winter is approaching helps keep get me through this disgusting time of year.

And shorter days do offer more time for radiational cooling at night. Though out here that is (more than) cancelled out by increasing humidity. So it’s 100% psychological for me, lol.

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

But at least it’s 90s with lows in the 50s/60s, instead of 100s.

I could deal with that, begrudgingly. Would prefer much cooler but at least it won’t be dangerous.

For PDX, near 100 degrees for multiple days in a row with lows only dropping to ~70 can still be dangerous for folks. Majority of people in the PNW lowlands still do not have A/C.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history