On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

26 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Here's the weather map for the first week of February 1989. It was a huge Arctic Blast. It looks like as the Arctic Front sagged south through Oregon it just lost steam and there was just not as much moisture. PDX had strong gorge winds so it did likely reduce the precipitation. On February 2, SEA recorded .41" of precip and PDX just .01", then basically just dry after that. 

https://library.oarcloud.noaa.gov/docs.lib/htdocs/rescue/dwm/1989/19890130-19890205.pdf

That's interesting to see! It looks like Salem had 9" of snow with the Feb 1989 blast though, what caused them to get that much despite being farther south? It looks like totals dropped towards Eugene though.

• Like 1

Just got back home from the ER after suffering heatstroke earlier this afternoon.

Around 3 p.m. I was cutting some watermelon when I suddenly collapsed in the kitchen, my gf called 911 and when I came to I was in the back of an ambulance on my way to Swedish with severe dehydration and a fever of 103.9F

I was immediately cooled down via a water cooling blanket and given electrolytes via IV as well as anti-nauseal medication, it took nearly 6 hours for my body temp to come down to 101.0F,which I was later told is a safe baseline core temp for those suffering heat exhaustion/heatstroke.

Between 10-11p.m. my core temp had plateaued at 100.2F and I was given the green light to go home. However, I and my gf were given explicit instructions on preventing this from happening again.

Needless to say, I have never felt so sick, weak, sore and forgetful in my entire life.

I'm doing better and being monitored by my gf and taking periodic cool showers, drinking plenty of water and limiting exposure.

Please stay safe guys, I almost bit the big one today.

• Sad 9
  • scream 4
  • Sick 1

3 minutes ago, JBolin said:

Just got back home from the ER after suffering heatstroke earlier this afternoon.

Around 3 p.m. I was cutting some watermelon when I suddenly collapsed in the kitchen, my gf called 911 and when I came to I was in the back of an ambulance on my way to Swedish with severe dehydration and a fever of 103.9F

I was immediately cooled down via a water cooling blanket and given electrolytes via IV as well as anti-nauseal medication, it took nearly 6 hours for my body temp to come down to 101.0F,which I was later told is a safe baseline core temp for those suffering heat exhaustion/heatstroke.

Between 10-11p.m. my core temp had plateaued at 100.2F and I was given the green light to go home. However, I and my gf were given explicit instructions on preventing this from happening again.

Needless to say, I have never felt so sick, weak, sore and forgetful in my entire life.

I'm doing better and being monitored by my gf and taking periodic cool showers, drinking plenty of water and limiting exposure.

So glad that you are doing better.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, JBolin said:

I hope you're feeling better now! That must've been scary to experience

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

That's interesting to see! It looks like Salem had 9" of snow with the Feb 1989 blast though, what caused them to get that much despite being farther south? It looks like totals dropped towards Eugene though.

Hmm not sure, maybe @SilverFallsAndrewhas more info since he's from the area. Just read this about February 1989, looks like further down the Valley they had quite the event!

February 1989

A weather system from Alaska remained in the area for several days, bringing snow and plunging temperatures. The February 1989 storm saw temperatures as low as eight degrees Fahrenheit, and five-foot high snow drifts. The storm led to five accidents on Interstate 5 that closed the highway between Salem and Albany; and near Woodburn, an overturned truck spilled 1,000 gallons of oil. There was also a storm related four-vehicle accident on Highway 22 near Silverton. Hospitals in Salem reported 25 snow-related injuries. The Oregon Department of Transportation estimated $25,000 in additional costs was necessary for wages and supplies to deal with the storm’s effects. Two power outages affected 80 percent of McMinnville’s customers, and the South Yamhill River began to freeze over.

February 1-8, 1989

In early February 1989, Yamhill County experienced zero degree temperatures and wind gusts up to 40 mph that created a wind-chill factor of negative 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit. The extreme cold damaged crops, forced mills to send home employees and froze or burst residents’ water pipes.

https://www.co.yamhill.or.us/sites/default/files/Section_09_Severe_Winter_Storm.pdf

• Like 4
  • Snow 1

20 minutes ago, JBolin said:

Oh man, I'm glad you're doing better. Get plenty of rest and stay hydrated. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Hmm not sure, maybe @SilverFallsAndrewhas more info since he's from the area. Just read this about February 1989, looks like further down the Valley they had quite the event!

February 1989

A weather system from Alaska remained in the area for several days, bringing snow and plunging temperatures. The February 1989 storm saw temperatures as low as eight degrees Fahrenheit, and five-foot high snow drifts. The storm led to five accidents on Interstate 5 that closed the highway between Salem and Albany; and near Woodburn, an overturned truck spilled 1,000 gallons of oil. There was also a storm related four-vehicle accident on Highway 22 near Silverton. Hospitals in Salem reported 25 snow-related injuries. The Oregon Department of Transportation estimated $25,000 in additional costs was necessary for wages and supplies to deal with the storm’s effects. Two power outages affected 80 percent of McMinnville’s customers, and the South Yamhill River began to freeze over.

February 1-8, 1989

In early February 1989, Yamhill County experienced zero degree temperatures and wind gusts up to 40 mph that created a wind-chill factor of negative 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit. The extreme cold damaged crops, forced mills to send home employees and froze or burst residents’ water pipes.

https://www.co.yamhill.or.us/sites/default/files/Section_09_Severe_Winter_Storm.pdf

That was a great read. I love that kind of history. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

February 1989

February 1-8, 1989

The east winds in Portland must've been crazy with that event! I wonder how some of the foothill locations did with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doiinko said:

The east winds in Portland must've been crazy with that event! I wonder how some of the foothill locations did with that event

I'm quite confident that at least in modern times that February 1989 event is one of the strongest if not the strongest at PDX-- maybe up there with February 2006, February 1996, and September 2020. 

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

9 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I'm quite confident that at least in modern times that February 1989 event is one of the strongest if not the strongest at PDX-- maybe up there with February 2006, February 1996, and September 2020. 

I think in my location those downslope events are less windy than just gap events. I was in Bend during the September 2020 so I couldn't see for myself but just looking at past WRF GFS runs it looks like the west slopes of the West Hills got windier in February 2021 than September 2020 as one example. 

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I think the January 1973 arctic event is still the strongest east wind measured at PDX. I believe they hit 66mph.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

I think the January 1973 arctic event is still the strongest east wind measured at PDX. I believe they hit 66mph.

That's a significant margin above any east wind event we've seen in the past 25 years-- truly curious as to what exactly led to that event being so strong. Stronger high pressure east of the Cascades coupled with a particularly vigorous push of arctic air from the north, possibly? Strong low offshore?

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Yeah I think the issue with PDX in February 1989 was the outflow winds and dry airmass moving in so quickly. The arctic front stall out and had a little more lift down the valley, which induced some pretty impressive totals. 1989 was the last time SLE went below 0. 

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

4 hours ago, JBolin said:

I’m so sorry dude. Thank god you collapsed in the kitchen where she could hear you vs outside somewhere.

I’ve had a few close calls myself so can empathize 100%. Was lucky in that I suddenly felt cold and stopped sweating before the dizziness started so had time to get inside and cool myself down.

Lesson: don’t f**k around with heat, because you will find out.

• Like 4

During the late June heatwave I was walking a little too much outside. Came home irritable, appetite gone, and tired, with an upset stomach. Definitely was running a light fever too, with a dry, hot forehead.

Had no idea it was related to the heat until I went downstairs into the cool basement, had a large jug of water, and immediately felt much better. All symptoms resigned. Pretty weird considering I wasn't doing anything strenuous and I was only out for a short while. Hell, I haven't had any heat related health issues during this current heatwave so far.

Point is, heat exhaustion can happen to anyone. Keep yourselves safe and cool, even if you consider yourself heat resistant. Too much heat does weird things to the body and it can manifest itself in unpredictable ways. And you don't want to be unpredictably sick when you have no access to cool shelter.

• Like 7

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

5 hours ago, JBolin said:

Wow... scary stuff.    Glad to hear you are OK.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like the marine layer clouds didn't quite make it to Tacoma.    

But SEA got down to 61 in the last hour and there is a SSW wind there this morning so I expect today will be cooler than yesterday.

• Popcorn 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

During the late June heatwave I was walking a little too much outside. Came home irritable, appetite gone, and tired, with an upset stomach. Definitely was running a light fever too, with a dry, hot forehead.

Had no idea it was related to the heat until I went downstairs into the cool basement, had a large jug of water, and immediately felt much better. All symptoms resigned. Pretty weird considering I wasn't doing anything strenuous and I was only out for a short while. Hell, I haven't had any heat related health issues during this current heatwave so far.

Point is, heat exhaustion can happen to anyone. Keep yourselves safe and cool, even if you consider yourself heat resistant. Too much heat does weird things to the body and it can manifest itself in unpredictable ways. And you don't want to be unpredictably sick when you have no access to cool shelter.

Crazy how fast it hits right?

My habits used to be so terrible it’s a miracle I didn’t end up like Jbolin or worse. Was working outdoors 8-10hrs/day at the time, and would start my days with one of those “monster energy” drinks and a big protein bar. 🫠 Dehydration galore. So stupid.

• Excited 1

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Crazy how fast it hits right?

My habits used to be so terrible it’s a miracle I didn’t end up like Jbolin or worse. Was working outdoors 8-10hrs/day at the time, and would start my days with one of those “monster energy” drinks and a big protein bar. 🫠 Dehydration galore. So stupid.

People live like this;... they wake up with a pulsing headache, pound an energy drink in five gulps, take the darkest piss you can take without needing an ER visit, then wonder "why do I feel like shitt all the time?"

Roommate used to do that. Realized he was headed for a beer gut by age 22 and an early grave, suddenly became a huge health nut. Five years later and he hasn't looked back, and I swear this dude's gonna look 25 at age 40. Glad that keto thing is working out for you too.

• Like 4

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Yeah I think the issue with PDX in February 1989 was the outflow winds and dry airmass moving in so quickly. The arctic front stall out and had a little more lift down the valley, which induced some pretty impressive totals. 1989 was the last time SLE went below 0. 

I'm hoping Salem gets a good snowstorm next winter, they seem to have been on the edge of every event since 2016/17

Got down to 61 this morning…marine air kicked in around midnight or so was out in my tent and could feel the breeze kick in early this morning. Up to 63 now we will see if we can make another run at 90. We’re -3 compared to this time yesterday and there’s a SW breeze but maybe it won’t matter much. 

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Only got down to 66  last night, already back up to 79.

Wow... that is a fast rise.    Much slower rise in Seattle in today.    Bellingham is too far north for the SW wind coming through the Chehalis gap.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Looking at the Nws observations map you can really tell how far inland the marine air worked in. Didn’t make much progress east of I-5 it looks like down here. 

Only 66 in North Bend right now.   

But just noticed its already 73 at the station at 1,000 feet near my house.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Only got down to 66  last night, already back up to 79.

Yeah, it only got down to 65F here although it's 70F currently. That's not too far off my all time max low from last June of 71F. Of course I should drop back below 65 this evening so it probably won't stand.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

The 00Z ECMWF maps updated on WB overnight.    

That run showed a bunch of rain on Monday evening into Tuesday morning as the trough move in.

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-precip_12hr_inch-9441600.png

• Like 5
  • Excited 2
  • Popcorn 1

14 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

Apparently there was a thunderstorm near Crater Lake yesterday? According to the NWS Portland AFD 

Shouldn't a Medford AFD mention that? Crater Lake is in their viewing area. 

I just ran some radar and didn't see any echoes last night. MAX has been in clear air mode. 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2