On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

00z EURO last night had a high of 95 for PDX today. But the 12z run today bumped them up to 97. Will be interesting to see how well it does for today's high.

Still running -6 from yesterday, so Euro appears to have nailed todays forecast right, while the GFS was high. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Requiem said:

That's a significant margin above any east wind event we've seen in the past 25 years-- truly curious as to what exactly led to that event being so strong. Stronger high pressure east of the Cascades coupled with a particularly vigorous push of arctic air from the north, possibly? Strong low offshore?

Yeah, I think it was just a particularly strong high pressure area to the east with a (relatively weak) low off the coast that was perfectly oriented for maximizing that gap wind. Wasn't a top tier arctic airmass by any means though so an interesting footnote.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

It would be nice to get a stormy day or two after this heat wave.

Euro shows a pretty nice convective event on Wednesday night here.

I guess that's the upside of the vort max being rebellious and cutting off, wandering around aimlessly, and taking a trip towards CA. Extends the nasty stuff another day or two but improves our odds for good diffluence and instability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kayla said:

Seems the Euro is back to its old cutoff low bias. Color me skeptical. 

Yeah, EPS mean looks totally different.

Something about this pattern is tripping up the operational Euro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

SEA jumped from 73 to 83 in the last 2 hours.     Just 4 degrees behind yesterday now so 90 is possible.  

86 now there. Another 90 seems very likely to me.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

13 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Pretty much all the areas influenced by marine air this morning have caught up now and are on track for 90s. 

Yea. We levelled off around 1030am and are just slowly inching up this afternoon. 91F now.  So still pretty toasty. 

16 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Most of the north valley is running about five degrees behind yesterday. Feels less oppressive outside as well. I do not know where Mark Nelsen is getting a high of 101 from. TWC showed 97-98 today and it looks like they will probably be correct.

Mark's on vacation. Gotta stick up for my guy…

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

SEA plateaued at 85 for the last hour... probably won't make it to 90 today.

91 in North Bend which is also 5 or 6 degrees cooler than yesterday.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

SEA plateaued at 85 for the last hour... probably won't make it to 90 today.

91 in North Bend which is also 5 or 6 degrees cooler than yesterday.

87 here…west wind seems to be keeping things in check there. Not doing me any favors though lol. 

13 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

PDX at 92 now, running 5 degrees cooler compared to yesterday. Yeah, 97 seems like a good call.

web_metrotemps-15.jpg.46199d4ca92a6950e808d5ccd1eeca40.jpg

Could be more like 95°F.

They were pushing 100°F this time yesterday.

• Popcorn 1

27 minutes ago, Timmy said:

60f in rockaway

E4D2CAE5-C650-48D6-ACD8-CCE8D6B1EB68.jpeg

That looks so nice right now

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

7 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

3!!!

Now time to get swept again by the Astros who were just swept by the As.

The Mariners own the Rangers like the Astros own the Mariners.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

14 hours ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Do we not put out fire's on tribal land?

I'm not sure.  They for some reason made note to say it was on tribal land.  I think they need permission to go on their land?  I really don't know.

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

They’re not gonna catch Houston. They have a pretty soft schedule the rest of the way so if they can beat up on the shitty teams and at least maybe tread water against them they’ll be in striking distance to come up juuuuuust a little short of the wildcard.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

8 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

They’re not gonna catch Houston. They have a pretty soft schedule the rest of the way so if they can beat up on the shitty teams and at least maybe tread water against them they’ll be in striking distance to come up juuuuuust a little short of the wildcard.

I am just going to hope this prediction works out as well as #no90sjuly.   👍

• Like 1

NEW Known Wildfires started today! 7/27/22

Washington - 1 (The new fire today has been contained and put out. No major fires. 2 fires taken out since yesterday.) Total: 18

Oregon - 2 (One is not considered a threat and the other has been contained by crews. One major fire in the state near Ontario. One fire has been officially stopped since yesterday.) Total: 18 

Idaho - 0 (No new known fires. Three major fires all deep in the mountains, closest to Salmon, ID. ) Total: 9

British Columbia - 13 (Several smaller fires have been put out enough to reduce the total number of fires by one since yesterday. One major fire at Lytton.) Total: 42

• Like 2

AIR QUALITY UPDATE

Air quality is continuing to decline.  Along the foothills of the Cascade's of Washington, air quality is hovering around moderate.  Puget Sound Air Quality monitoring is listing parts of King and Piece county as moderate to unhealthy for sensitive groups.  With the continued heat, no wind, and no relief insight, pollution will continue to build and obscure views in the Puget Sound.

Much of the Lower Mainland is listed as unhealthy for sensitive groups to moderate.  Poor air quality, lack of wind, and heat is causing views to obscure around the region.  Wildfire smoke is starting to blow through the Fraser River outflow as well from larger fires inland.  

Oregon's Willamette Valley is still listed as good air quality with only parts of southern Oregon around Medford being listed as moderate. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 3.52.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 3.52.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 3.54.11 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

28 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

They get to face Justin Verlander again on Friday. So we got that going for us. 

• lol 1