On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

10 hours ago, Timmy Supercell said:

Shouldn't a Medford AFD mention that? Crater Lake is in their viewing area. 

I just ran some radar and didn't see any echoes last night. MAX has been in clear air mode. 

I'm not sure then, maybe it was close enough to mentioning it on the AFD or something

10 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I was just keeping the RIP theme going. 

In Jesse's case, it would undoubtedly be heatstroke. 

Winter kills too!   Every time weather weenies get a snowstorm or arctic cold... people sadly die. 

He had his dream April and May... and early June.   Literally 2.5 months of endless crap.  Record wet and record cold in many places.   This event has been 3 days. 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

With today topping 95 degrees, PDX looks to be in a good position to set a new record for consecutive 95+ days (current is six set in July 1941 and August 1981).

They would have to make it through Sunday, which looks to be right in the edge right but will probably trend warmer.

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

My call of 100 was early at KLMT, they had 101. I guess that matches their old record today.

At least the hottest wx of this year occurred in the window when it should happen (late July and early Aug). 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Winter kills too!   Every time weather weenies get a snowstorm or arctic cold... people sadly die. 

He had his dream April and May... and early June.   Literally 2.5 months of endless crap.  Record wet and record cold in many places.   This event has been 3 days. 

Nobody dies from drizzle, Tim.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 2
  • Storm 1

A forum for the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

Topped 98 at home. It's still 94. #valleylife

All that smoke that settled in didn't do much to lower the temps. Just a 3 degree difference from the previous day. 

So far: 95, 101.5, 98. We'll have 7 in a row of 90+ from this.

sweating key and peele GIF

Kind of crazy how warm the foothills up there get compared to places near the water.

• Like 5

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Speaking of heatstroke... saw someone collapsed today on the way home from work. Presumably this person was jogging in 90 degree weather at 5pm. Medic hadn't arrived at the time yet, but there were plenty of good Samaritans trying to help this individual out. 

Hope this person will be okay. 

Remember to stay hydrated and stay cool. exercises can be done when the temps cool down, not during peak heating hours.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Sick 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Maybe this is PNW’s cycle of dust bowl summers. Every region has that one decade that really f**king sucks.

Up here even the hottest summers aren’t horrible. It’s just the smoke that can really suck. In 2015 we had 19 days above 85 here (probably like 25-30 at SEA) but compared to some places in the country that’s still not even terrible. Still don’t like it but when you see how much hotter it is down in the willamette valley compared to here…hard to complain too much. 
92/61 today. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Up here even the hottest summers aren’t horrible. It’s just the smoke that can really suck. In 2015 we had 19 days above 85 here (probably like 25-30 at SEA) but compared to some places in the country that’s still not even terrible. Still don’t like it but when you see how much hotter it is down in the willamette valley compared to here…hard to complain too much. 
92/61 today. 

I enjoy extremes here because they are anomalous, which makes them interesting to me. If 90+ was our default weather in the summer I would not care for it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Nobody dies from drizzle, Tim.

Well... I am sure there have been car accidents due to fog/drizzle that have killed people.   Blood on the hands of anyone who loves fog and drizzle!  

• scream 1
  • Troll 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, T-Town said:

I enjoy extremes here because they are anomalous, which makes them interesting to me. If 90+ was our default weather in the summer I would not care for it.

Yeah I agree, I enjoyed the heatwave in June since it was shortlived and had a big crash at the end. Not really a big fan of this one though just feels yuck during the afternoon and evening in the sun with the humidity and it’s very sustained. Not gonna be a massive one day crash with this one but next week is looking much different so there’s that to look forward to. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

Topped 98 at home. It's still 94. #valleylife

All that smoke that settled in didn't do much to lower the temps. Just a 3 degree difference from the previous day. 

So far: 95, 101.5, 98. We'll have 7 in a row of 90+ from this.

sweating key and peele GIF

Is it smoke... or just smog from the Seattle area?  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

He had his dream April and May... and early June.   Literally 2.5 months of endless blessings.  Record wet and record cold in many places.   This event has been 3 days. 

FYP

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

36 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

With today topping 95 degrees, PDX looks to be in a good position to set a new record for consecutive 95+ days (current is six set in July 1941 and August 1981).

They would have to make it through Sunday, which looks to be right in the edge right but will probably trend warmer.

pretty crazy that it occurs almost every 40 years. 

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Is it smoke... or just smog from the Seattle area?  

Pretty sure it's smoke. It arrived pretty early. A definite white smokey haze all through the valley, enough to obscure Gunn Peak from Gold Bar. 

24 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Kind of crazy how warm the foothills up there get compared to places near the water.

Yeah that's the magic of being in an east/west valley with about 150 degrees of full sun exposure all day, with no marine influence. We get hot and stay hot, but on the flip side we get cold and stay cold as well...even though I'm only 200 ft above sea level.

43 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

105-106??!! I'm hoping that doesn't happen, did something change about Friday that is making that heat possible?

850mb temps look to peak that day now and probably the most likely day with some downslope. 105-106 is a stretch but within the possibilities.

If I could update my forecast I'd go with 102/104/102 over the next three days.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

2 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

Pretty sure it's smoke. It arrived pretty early. A definite white smokey haze all through the valley, enough to obscure Gunn Peak from Gold Bar. 

Same haze here today... but that usually happens after a few warm summer says.  Local pollution from Seattle accumulating due to poor ventilation.    Same thing happens in the winter. 

• Downvote 2

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Same haze here today... but that usually happens after a few warm summer says.  Local pollution from Seattle accumulating due to poor ventilation.    Same thing happens in the winter. 

Interesting. It smelled kinda smokey so I just assumed. It lingered for what felt like the entire day. Gave me a headache this morning too. 

Those minisplits have been a lifesaver though. I was so angry at the cost of install, but now all I can think is "yeah that was worth it". We would be so miserable if we only had the living room unit like last year. Couldn't get the bedrooms below 80 degrees then lol.

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It's smoke from Cali.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.15.33 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Sick 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Is that ground level?   Because the haze today was low level stuff.  

Looks mostly elevated but it's still going to effect visibility and get trapped in the valley's at times. Satellite showed it west of the cascades this evening as well.

20222082236-20222090231-GOES17-ABI-PNW-G

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

33 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Well... I am sure there have been car accidents due to fog/drizzle that have killed people.   Blood on the hands of anyone who loves fog and drizzle!  

Ah - but you aren't accounting for the reduced risk of skin cancer and therefore lives saved by fog/drizzle.

• lol 2

23 minutes ago, Kayla said:

850mb temps look to peak that day now and probably the most likely day with some downslope. 105-106 is a stretch but within the possibilities.

If I could update my forecast I'd go with 102/104/102 over the next three days.

I'd be pretty surprised to see PDX hit 102+ all three days. Seems like everything would have to go just right/wrong for that to happen. 

Now it will probably happen.

• Popcorn 1

5 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Ah - but you aren't accounting for the reduced risk of skin cancer and therefore lives saved by fog/drizzle.

Boom Mic Drop GIF

• lol 2

8 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

No... that was not factored into the calculation!   But people can easily take precautions against UV rays with sunscreen.  A fatal car accident in fog is an immediate and direct consequence of a single weather event.    Like icy roads and hypothermia and people and animals dying in flood waters etc.   All bad.   Very bad.  

• lol 1
  • Sun 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 2

2 hours ago, NWbyNW said:

It has actually gotten warmer?  Lol.  We peaked really fast at 83F, dropped to 75F, and now sit at 77F. There is an ocean breeze today and it really cools it down outside.  It doesn't feel that hot. 

Nice here too.  Slightly cooler then Everett though. 😜

local.PNG

now.PNG

• Like 1

Currently 83F. Dog days indeed.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Remember that rainy season?    It doesn't have to rain a drop until October and SEA would still end up way above normal for rainfall for the water year.    SEA also went 2 months this spring with almost every day being colder than normal.  

Screenshot_20220727-210430_Chrome.jpg

• scream 1

Didn’t realize this til just a bit ago but the last 2 days have been our first +90 high temps in July since 2015. We’ve had quite a few mid to upper 80s in those years prior but has been awhile since we’ve gotten into the 90s in July. Has all been June and august in recent years. 

• Like 1