On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Dude.. f this. 

Phil said the second half of July would be cool... and now he is saying the same for the first half of August.    It's all good.  It will stay cool.

• lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Phil said the second half of July would cool... and now he is saying the same for the first half of August.    It's a good.  It will stay cool.

Also right on queue with Jim's prediction of a troughy week 2. Horray!

• lol 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Thank you. July isn’t over yet and we’re already making far reaching statements about the summer.

Let’s see where we’re at after another 3 weeks. Narrative might be quite different by then.

The mid-August heatwave last year was pretty hot and it ran good departures, but then the month averaged out to less than 1 degree from normal at KLMT with those last two weeks. 

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Key paragraphs here:

But the actual effects on climate will likely take time to understand, says Allegra LeGrande, a physical research scientist at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies who was not involved with the work. “I don’t think there is a consensus about what the overall impact will be.”

High above Earth, the water will likely react with other chemicals, potentially degrading the ozone layer that protects us from ultraviolet light, and even changing the circulation of air currents that govern weather patterns.

Yep. This eruption was extremely unusual. We won't know the effects at all for several years and no one knows shitt right now. Should be interesting to look back on down the road. 

7 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Also right on queue with Jim's prediction of a troughy week 2. Horray!

We are experiencing a top tier hot July and Jim says its been a great summer after the rain stopped in June.    I never imagined Jim saying a top tier hot summer month was enjoyable.   But here we are.  😀

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Holy outlier batman.

C0263EB1-D9BD-41C4-A0FA-8307BC29CD57.gif

Good forward one day on the GEFS drunky.  😄

Growing consensus it will turn warm again next weekend.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-9916800.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-9916800.png

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Phil said the second half of July would be cool... and now he is saying the same for the first half of August.    It's all good.  It will stay cool.

I’m sure this sounds braggadocios, but hell, I can be accurate for months on end and call ENSO events years in advance, but if I miss one intraseasonal cycle by 2 weeks I get raked over the coals for it. :lol:

This isn’t easy to do. I work my arse off at it. Comments like this actually do irritate me for real.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 3

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Good forward one day on the GEFS drunky.  😄

Growing consensus it will turn warm again next weekend.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-9916800.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-9916800.png

Yeah? Now look at the GFS operational at that same timestamp.

Not even remotely close. 😂

• lol 1

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah that ain’t happening.

Bruh.. I don't even know why I'm taking this troll bait but the GFS literally predicted this long duration heatwave like almost a week out... while at the same time you and Jim mocked its surface temps output. Unless you can show me some marine influence.. I'll take what the GFS is giving. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Bruh.. I don't even know why I'm taking this troll bait but the GFS literally predicted this long duration heatwave like almost a week out... while at the same time you and Jim mocked its surface temps output. Unless you can show me some marine influence.. I'll take what the GFS is giving. 

Exactly this... well said.

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

And how many false heatwaves did it predict over the last 4+ months? I’ve archived all of them. Broken clock is right twice a day.

Don’t have to take my word for it, just look at the D5+ z500 skill scores. The GFS is not a good model.

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Exactly this... well said.

Tell me you know nothing about statistical analysis without telling me you know nothing about statistical analysis.

#EuroNailedSandy Amirite?

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’m sure this sounds braggadocios, but hell, I can be accurate for months on end and call ENSO events years in advance, but if I miss one intraseasonal cycle by 2 weeks I get raked over the coals for it. :lol:

This isn’t easy to do. I work my arse off at it. Comments like this actually do irritate me for real.

Yeah... you do great on ENSO stuff.     But this is second summer in a row in which we are sweltering in heat during a period you repeatedly said would be cool.     The heat is pretty much top of mind for everyone on here in the PNW right now and they are going to bring up forecasts when they bust so badly.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

And how many false heatwaves did it predict over the last 4+ months? Broken clock is right twice a day.

Don’t have to take my word for it, just look at the D5+ z500 skill scores. The GFS is not a good model.

^^Facts are stubborn sons of b*tches.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

And how many false heatwaves did it predict over the last 4+ months? I’ve archived all of them. Broken clock is right twice a day.

Ei50y9GU8AEZ4M3.jpg

21 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

The mid-August heatwave last year was pretty hot and it ran good departures, but then the month averaged out to less than 1 degree from normal at KLMT with those last two weeks. 

Portland hit 103 with the August heatwave, and apparently Bellingham set their all time record with that? 

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... you do great on ENSO stuff.     But this is second summer in a row in which we are sweltering in heat during a period you repeatedly said would be cool.     The heat is pretty much top of mind for everyone on here in the PNW right now and they are going to bring up forecasts when they bust so badly.

Try to forecast long range at intraseasonal timescales and see how well you do.

Easy to talk s**t when you’re in the stands and not on the field. News flash: it’s a science still in its embryonic stages and accuracy is hard to come by on higher frequency timeframes at-range.

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

This is some good sh*t.

Last summer it was greatest heat wave of all time... this year its likely the longest heat wave in history.   And Phil did not see either coming.     Those are big memorable events to miss.   

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Try to forecast long range at intraseasonal timescales and see how well you do.

Easy to talk s**t when you’re in the stands and not on the field. News flash: it’s a science still in its embryonic stages and accuracy is hard to come by on higher frequency timeframes at-range.

Yeah... its hard.   And you do great on the big picture things.    

I need to get to bed.   Going to miss the ECMWF.    We have lots of driving to do tomorrow.   

• Like 1

Last summer it was greatest heat wave of all time... this year its likely the longest heat wave in history.   And Phil did not see either coming.     Those are big memorable events to miss.   

Man I regret all the times I felt bad for you and didn’t pile on.

Never again. 😂

Yeah... its hard.   And you do great on the big picture things.    

I need to get to bed.   Going to miss the ECMWF.    We have lots of driving to do tomorrow.   

Safe travels!

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Portland might be flirting with 100 on two consecutive weekends coming up.

GFS gets hot again next weekend. Maybe more offshore flow this time around. The GEM has the low closer to the Coast but still gets hot for you folks up there, cooler down here. Will be interesting to see what the EURO shows tonight. 

gfs_T850a_nwus_35.thumb.png.61c6c4d22e1383500285f16d1b37b449.png

gem_T850a_nwus_35.thumb.png.21c1ff11aeff9e4364eaaae0642f2f23.png

• Sun 1

If you forecast a hot PNW summer you will be right 100% of the time!

• Sun 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I’m sure I’ll be lol’ing at this when I wake up tomorrow. It must be pretty bad since I can already sense the cringe.

• Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I said flirting with 100.  

But yeah... we can't buy a warm day this summer.   Portland was only at 90+ degrees on about 40% of the days in July.   Weak sauce.

Anywhoooo... this might be fun to bump in a few days.  

Euro says maybe around 90.  But probably not 100

7 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Hi, this is Andrew's daughter Lexi. You people are weird. 😝

Don't worry, we already knew that.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)