On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

But at least it’s 90s with lows in the 50s/60s, instead of 100s.

I could deal with that, begrudgingly. Would prefer much cooler but at least it won’t be dangerous.

Portland could have some highs ~100 and lows around 70 it seems. I hope people without AC can manage

Cool towels on the nape of the neck help.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

A lot of it is psychological. Knowing solar radiation is getting weaker each day and winter is approaching helps keep get me through this disgusting time of year.

And shorter days do offer more time for radiational cooling at night. Though out here that is (more than) cancelled out by increasing humidity. So it’s 100% psychological for me, lol.

I go through the same mental gymnastics with the days getting longer in the spring even though the weather often mimics winter.     It was snowing here for a week in April... but at least the days were getting longer through that miserable period.  😀

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Doesn’t look like the same record smashing heat that other places in the NH have been seeing, though.

Days getting shorter faster each day too. We’ll be into August in a little over a week, then the end of this useless f**king season will be in sight. Good riddance.

It's a useful season for going to the beach.

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I was watching that on the satellite... that is like the 3rd time in a couple weeks that has happened.   Each of these ULLs seems to generate enough lift over there to produce convection.

Indeed, usually nocturnal.  these were daytime ones, another one came thru about 45min ago.  not much rain, 5 min downpours, but hey bonus moisture in the height of our summer is awesome 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I go through the same mental gymnastics with the days getting longer in the spring even though the weather often mimics winter.     It was snowing here for a week in April... but at least the days were getting longer through that miserable period.  😀

The snowstorm for Portland was fun though in my opinion, not often do you get to see that. The rain might not have been great for everyone, but I didn't mind it really.

14 minutes ago, Kayla said:

For PDX, near 100 degrees for multiple days in a row with lows only dropping to ~70 can still be dangerous for folks. Majority of people in the PNW lowlands still do not have A/C.

I think most people in Portland do have AC.

In Everett where my extended family lives it’s true most homes are without AC. I was scared before staying there during my 1st trip, since I *cannot* sleep in a warm house, but was impressed with how quickly it cooled after sundown, even on warm days.

It’s just a different universe. By comparison it’s barely dropped below 80°F here the last two nights and these are only +5 departures.

• Excited 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

It's a useful season for going to the beach.

I’ll be on the beach in GA 8/7 to 8/21. Haven’t been in 3 years thanks to covid so really looking forward to it.

Everyone leaves this city in the first half of August, lol. Nothing to do and there’s more water than oxygen in the air. 😂

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Days are getting longer in February at the same rate as they are getting shorter in August.   And February has become our most consistently cold and snowy month.  

August is actually statistically the warmest month of the year at Shawnigan lake.  

• Like 2

Funny there will be a trough over MN when Tim visits. I swear troughing follows that dude wherever he goes. Happened in SC last spring too IIRC? 

@TT-SEA Can you pay us a visit next summer? We could really use some of that magic.

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

In Everett where my extended family lives it’s true most houses do not have AC. I was scared before staying there during my 1st trip, since I *cannot* sleep in a warm house, but was impressed with how quickly it cooled after sundown, even on warm days.

It’s just a different universe. By comparison it’s barely dropped below 80°F here the last two nights and these are only +5 departures.

More and more homes in the PNW lowlands are getting A/C due to the warming climate but there are still a large amounts of people without, even in Portland. Let alone relativity and adaptation coming into play. The PNW isn't DC.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2017/08/01/as-record-heat-wave-bears-down-271300-portland-homes-dont-have-air-conditioning/

• Like 5

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Cherishing these days that don’t get as hot. Gonna be miserable during the dog days yet again.

• Like 2

Personal Stats:

Venmo

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Funny there will be a trough over MN when Tim visits. I swear troughing follows that dude wherever he goes. Happened in SC last spring too IIRC? 

@TT-SEA Can you pay us a visit next summer? We could really use some of that magic.

You have been telling me for a month that it would probably be 120 degrees in Minnesota when I am there and everyone will die. 

But the reality is we will be home for an extended heat wave (during our supposedly cold second half of July) and then we have to deal with troughing and wet weather in Minnesota on vacation?   Dude.   

• Like 1
  • lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 minutes ago, Kayla said:

More and more homes in the PNW lowlands are getting A/C due to the warming climate but there are still a large amounts of people without, even in Portland. Let alone relativity and adaptation coming into play. The PNW isn't DC.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2017/08/01/as-record-heat-wave-bears-down-271300-portland-homes-dont-have-air-conditioning/

I'm surprised the number of housing units with A/C is that high, I expected it to be a lot lower.  There is definitely an uptick in the number of houses with A/C up here in Whatcom County.  When I was getting my A/C last year, the installer said they could not keep up with the demand.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

In Everett where my extended family lives it’s true most homes are without AC. I was scared before staying there during my 1st trip, since I *cannot* sleep in a warm house, but was impressed with how quickly it cooled after sundown, even on warm days.

If they don't have AC, they're seriously considering getting it. We learned our lesson after last June and got it installed in May. The miracle of comfortable sleeping makes it worth it.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, GobBluth said:

If they don't have AC, they're seriously considering getting it. We learned our lesson after last June and got it installed in May. The miracle of comfortable sleeping makes it worth it.

We were lucky and got ours installed about 10 days before the big heatwave in June.  It ran pretty much constantly during  that period of time.  For more "normal" summer weather we run it during the day (my wife and I both work from home) then once it cools below 70 in the evening we shut down the A/C and open the windows.

I've found that the house gets really stuffy when we leave the A/C on/windows closed on most evenings.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Euro coming in hotter. Gonna be a long next 3-4 weeks.

It will be a distant memory in a month or so and we will beginning to look towards the November to remember. 

• Sick 1
  • Weenie 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

We were lucky and got ours installed about 10 days before the big heatwave in June.  It ran pretty much constantly during  that period of time.  For more "normal" summer weather we run it during the day (my wife and I both work from home) then once it cools below 70 in the evening we shut down the A/C and open the windows.

I've found that the house gets really stuffy when we leave the A/C on/windows closed on most evenings.

we do the same here when the temps outside get below 60 at night.  recently they haven't as much and next week probably not either, so AC will stay on overnight (it usually turns off by midnight and is off all night on its own)

• Like 2

EC is a little cooler for parts of the Willamette Valley, but I suspect most all of us will still approach or reach triple digits.

Well, cooler for Corvallis at least. Eugene/Springfield is still gonna roast. And if Corvallis doesn't see much marine seepage over the Alsea gap then they will be much hotter.

• Like 4

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Verdict is still mid to upper 90F on the EC for all of the last 8 days of the run.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

End of the run gives hope?

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

2 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

End of the run gives hope?

Unfortunately, not really. Pretty much just a sprawling 5000 mile wide area of above average heights with no positive vorticity advection anywhere in sight for the mid-latitudes, as is now typical for a 2020s mid-summer. Goes all the way from near record hot to just hot for us.

• Like 3

Just now, BLI snowman said:

Unfortunately, not really. Pretty much just a sprawling 5000 mile wide area of above average heights with no positive vorticity advection anywhere in sight for the mid-latitudes, as is now typical for a 2020s mid-summer. Goes all the way from near record hot to just hot for us.

I do think there will be a flip side to the coin as we move into august at some point. Last year we were pretty warm from 7/20-8/15…but the second half of august wasn’t bad at all. Get the feeling it’ll be similar this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

I do think there will be a flip side to the coin as we move into august at some point. Last year we were pretty warm from 7/20-8/15…but the second half of august wasn’t bad at all. Get the feeling it’ll be similar this year. 

Oh I agree there will be a relaxation at some point in August, and like you said it will probably be similar to last year.

Even though last August was certainly tolerable after the 15th, it was by no means a standout in historic terms. Which seemed almost astounding when you consider how anomalously ridgy the first half of last summer was. We never really did see any strong atmospheric counter-response to that, we just got a pleasant and milquetoast relatively mild period after two months of historic ridging. Kind of sad if you compare that to something like August 1977, when we could still see legitimately dynamic summer 500mb responses following a historic stretch of ridging. Just doesn't feel possible these days.

• Like 5