On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

We’re -0.2 for July as of right today but that’s quickly gonna go up. Has been a pretty pleasant month so far with a max temp of 84 on 7/11 and 7/20 too bad it couldn’t last. 

I could end this month around 4-5" rain, and still manage to be one of the warmest months of the year. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

19 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Sending prayers. Lol in all seriousness hope you have a good few days of jet skis man. 

Thanks! I’m hoping to take a day off later in the week for a full day of lake fun!! 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

24 minutes ago, MossMan said:

High cloud shocker ruined jetski Sunday. 

So glad it wait until evening to move through down here.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

GFS showed 84 at SEA today.   Actual high was 84.  

ECMWF showed 76.   

The GFS is absurd. 

GFS missed by 9 degrees yesterday.

ATROCIOUS

12 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

The ECMWF was showing 118+ east of the cascades a few runs ago I think. Gladly it's backed off but I think it was still showing ~114

showing pretty widespread 110-115 temps in the Columbia Basin atp 

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

One thing we`ve been monitoring carefully is the potential for mid-week convection, the likelihood of which is incredibly tough to pin down due to disagreement among members of the grand ensemble. Several members in each ensemble are now depicting QPF across some part of our CWA during the mid to late week timeframe, though there is very little temporal alignment. The deterministic GFS and Canadian ensembles bring the most clear shortwave feature - a northward moving band of enhanced cyclonic vorticity passing across NW Oregon during the Wednesday afternoon through Thursday morning period. Ironically, the EPS, which does not highlight such a distinct feature and whose ensemble fails to support sufficient instability for convective activity, does forecast lightning strikes in the Cascades Wednesday evening. The Canadian`s instability forecast is the most impressive, as the mean of its ensemble has 342 J/kg of CAPE in Eugene Wednesday afternoon, while the maximum in the EPS ensemble suggests 189 J/kg (its mean is 8 J/kg). This feature will bear watching, as the NAM suggests flow along and ahead of this feature, which will potentially induce a tropospheric fold, will turn south-southeasterly; this means that any thunderstorms which do manage to develop in the Cascades would move across our CWA rather than out of it. For now, we'll continue to monitor the threat and will message updates to our thinking accordingly. More clarity sould come when we get close enough to the event temporally to utilize the CAMs, which will theoretically help pin down the timing and strength of any mesoscale mechanisms to generate convection.

-NWS Portland AFD.

• Like 9

Seattle NOAA warns of some smoke coming from British Columbia.  They also don't see any quick marine air push into the southern part of the Puget Sound.  They seem to think it will be a gradual cool down with no big drop or relief day.  😕 

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 9.16.48 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, NWbyNW said:

Seattle NOAA warns of some smoke coming from British Columbia.  They also don't see any quick marine air push into the southern part of the Puget Sound.  They seem to think it will be a gradual cool down with no big drop or relief day.  😕 

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 9.16.48 PM.png

00Z GFS shows 86 and 84 at SEA next Saturday and Sunday... pretty sad I am going to miss another spectacular Seattle summer weekend.   

• Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

00Z GFS shows 86 and 84 at SEA next Saturday and Sunday... pretty sad I am going to miss another spectacular Seattle summer weekend.   

Basically the same weather in MN, right?

I forget did you grow up there it was it San Diego?

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Basically the same weather in MN, right?

I forget did you grow up there it was it San Diego?

Grew up in MN.    But there is something very special about this area when we hit our summer stride.   I hate to leave.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Sounds terrible 

Not a fan of 90s this week... would prefer it just stay like today.    Next weekend might be repeat of today.

31 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

One thing we`ve been monitoring carefully is the potential for mid-week convection, the likelihood of which is incredibly tough to pin down due to disagreement among members of the grand ensemble. Several members in each ensemble are now depicting QPF across some part of our CWA during the mid to late week timeframe, though there is very little temporal alignment. The deterministic GFS and Canadian ensembles bring the most clear shortwave feature - a northward moving band of enhanced cyclonic vorticity passing across NW Oregon during the Wednesday afternoon through Thursday morning period. Ironically, the EPS, which does not highlight such a distinct feature and whose ensemble fails to support sufficient instability for convective activity, does forecast lightning strikes in the Cascades Wednesday evening. The Canadian`s instability forecast is the most impressive, as the mean of its ensemble has 342 J/kg of CAPE in Eugene Wednesday afternoon, while the maximum in the EPS ensemble suggests 189 J/kg (its mean is 8 J/kg). This feature will bear watching, as the NAM suggests flow along and ahead of this feature, which will potentially induce a tropospheric fold, will turn south-southeasterly; this means that any thunderstorms which do manage to develop in the Cascades would move across our CWA rather than out of it. For now, we'll continue to monitor the threat and will message updates to our thinking accordingly. More clarity sould come when we get close enough to the event temporally to utilize the CAMs, which will theoretically help pin down the timing and strength of any mesoscale mechanisms to generate convection.

-NWS Portland AFD.

Lol….all the convective activity will happen up here as I go south! Just wrong 😜

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

00z GFS is delaying the cool down now. Caving to the Euro?

A small part of me is hoping for us to beat the 95+ consecutive days record just so that we have something to note looking back on this heatwave, but I'd also rather it end faster for people without AC.

• Sick 1

3 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

00z GFS is delaying the cool down now. Caving to the Euro?

Canadian looks better! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

A small part of me is hoping for us to beat the 95+ consecutive days record just so that we have something to note looking back on this heatwave, but I'd also rather it end faster for people without AC.

Lots and lots and lots of notable heatwave stuff to look back on in the last several years alone. Having a heatwave that did not set some sort of new benchmark would be more notable if anything.

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Another great GFS run.  My heart goes out to people in the Midwest and the NE if this solution verifies though.  Downright ugly back there for week 2.

• lol 1
  • Weenie 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Another great GFS run.  My heart goes out to people in the Midwest and the NE if this solution verifies though.  Downright ugly back there for week 2.

You just gloss over a very hot week in the PNW but you are worried about the Midwest at 300 hours out on the GFS.   😀

• lol 1

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I’ll be in FL/GA where that pattern would produce easterly flow and (relatively) cooler temps.

So..let it rip! Until I get back home, of course. 😂

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

You just gloss over a very hot week in the PNW but you are worried about the Midwest at 300 hours out on the GFS.   😀

Would be a godsend if the long overdue mega heatwave happened while I’m out of town. I’m basically rooting for it at this point.

• Like 1