On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

.02” so far on the day, .48” for the month. 
Last December ranks in my top 7 winter weather events of my lifetime. Comes in at #6! 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Last night was so pleasant 

121ED214-ED98-4A46-93BE-F60E3BB336B1.jpeg

• Like 7

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

62 degrees in North Bend this morning with broken clouds... should be a nice day.     Really enjoying the higher dewpoints.  There is sweet spot for dewpoints between the mid 50s and low 60s in the summer... below that the nights get too chilly and above that it feels too sticky.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Does not look like it rained at all last night here as everything is totally dry... looks like there was .01 or .02 yesterday afternoon and that has been it the last couple days despite lots of activity on the radar around the region.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

53 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

62 degrees in North Bend this morning with broken clouds... should be a nice day.     Really enjoying the higher dewpoints.  There is sweet spot for dewpoints between the mid 50s and low 60s in the summer... below that the nights get too chilly and above that it feels too sticky.  

Depends on the temps, too. 

45-50 DP with temps in the 60s-80s is fine. But yeah, pretty much any time with DP of 65+ is sticky icky for me.

A forum for the end of the world.

7 hours ago, Doiinko said:

How much snow did your location get in 2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/2011 and 2011/2012? I didn't live here those winters but from NWS snow totals reports it seems I had 25", 3", 2", and 4.5"

2008-09 was the last Winter I spent at my old home in the Magnolia neighborhood, to the NW of downtown. That December was awesome, though I was young so I don't have very many memories of the snow in Seattle, other than the first week of that event cancelling school. What I do remember however was how snowy it was in Spokane when I visited for the holidays. I distinctly remember running around in waist-deep snow with my cousin, doing belly flops and all. I had never seen such snow before and I was completely enamored. Came back home on the 26th to a 40F rain with 10" of slop, so I'm definitely glad I went east!

Dec 2009 was the first cold snap I experienced at my current home in Lake City, in the far NE of Seattle. I have memories of my father and I doing tricks on the sidewalks, which had basically become an ice rink from all the standing water which had flash froze. No snow and very clear, just very cold, and I remember things failing to thaw for a few days despite the sun. Had a water main break at my Elementary so got a few days off school again, I definitely enjoyed that.

I have real fond memories of Nov 2010, given how completely out of the blue it really was, as @MossMan will gladly reciprocate. My grandparents on my mother's side were in town at the time for Thanksgiving, and planned on staying for a few days. Sam Argier on KIRO was calling for several days in advance 0-2" of slop, a few days in the 20s, and then a warm up. This forecast was maintained right up until the event. Unexpectedly that evening a band of snow set up shop right over the central Sound and dumped a ton of heavy snow very quickly. I remember frequently peeking out the back window, watching the snow pile up higher and higher above forecast. What was really fun about that event was the nature of the snowfall. Because it persisted long after the passage of the Arctic front, instead of wet slop we ended up with borderline blizzard conditions with a windswept powder blowing in every which direction, temps in the mid 20s, totaling around 4-5". The following day was brilliantly sunny and harshly cold, not too dissimilar to this recent Dec, but a few degrees warmer. I went for a walk that day and my toes nearly froze off just walking a few blocks down the street, despite the sun. The transition back was super fun too, with an inch of heavy dendritic snowfall Thanksgiving morning (also unexpected) followed by rain that afternoon.

I don't have any memories of Feb 2011, partly because North Seattle did kind of get shafted on the snow with that one, and also because I was 9 at the time.

Jan 2012 was a blast, with CZ snowfall coming in super clutch. Probably totaled in excess of a foot, but I wasn't keeping track at the time. Deepest snow I measured was 8" before the warm up, though there was some melting and compacting. The snowfall was wet in nature and the cold snap as a whole wasn't very cold... it was just super efficient. Plus I got another week off school, and I was a bit older, so that event really suck out to me. Given that it would be another 7 years until the next substantial snow event, Jan 2012 remained burned into my memory as the high water mark for Seattle snow events. Then of course Feb 2019 came and redefined everything I thought I knew about my location's climate.

So in all, the 2008-12 period was very lucky and fun at my place, comparable in scope to this recent 2019-22 period, although I'd probably prefer this recent stretch of years. It's generally been comprised of colder and snowier (and ultimately luckier) Arctic events.

• Like 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Party is over in Juneau... normal summer weather returns.

Screenshot_20220707-071147_Google.jpg

Interestingly, their "dry" season is actually March-June. July averages easily more rain than any of those months, and it gets progressively wetter in August and September.

• Like 2
  • Rain 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I’d kill for dewpoints that low. Last 2 days have had upper 70s dewpoints in the afternoons. Windows all fogged up, dripping with condensation.

• Like 1
  • Sick 3
  • Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Depends on the temps, too. 

45-50 DP with temps in the 60s-80s is fine. But yeah, pretty much any time with DP of 65+ is sticky icky for me.

You’ve been to New Orleans in the summer, right?

Now *that’s* real humidity. Life force draining. At least we get frequent breaks up here. Down there it’s constant.

• Like 1
  • Sick 2

14 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

2008-09 was the last Winter I spent at my old home in the Magnolia neighborhood, to the NW of downtown. That December was awesome, though I was young so I don't have very many memories of the snow in Seattle, other than the first week of that event cancelling school. What I do remember however was how snowy it was in Spokane when I visited for the holidays. I distinctly remember running around in waist-deep snow with my cousin, doing belly flops and all. I had never seen such snow before and I was completely enamored. Came back home on the 26th to a 40F rain with 10" of slop, so I'm definitely glad I went east!

Dec 2009 was the first cold snap I experienced at my current home in Lake City, in the far NE of Seattle. I have memories of my father and I doing tricks on the sidewalks, which had basically become an ice rink from all the standing water which had flash froze. No snow and very clear, just very cold, and I remember things failing to thaw for a few days despite the sun. Had a water main break at my Elementary so got a few days off school again, I definitely enjoyed that.

I have real fond memories of Nov 2010, given how completely out of the blue it really was, as @MossMan will gladly reciprocate. My grandparents on my mother's side were in town at the time for Thanksgiving, and planned on staying for a few days. Sam Argier on KIRO was calling for several days in advance 0-2" of slop, a few days in the 20s, and then a warm up. This forecast was maintained right up until the event. Unexpectedly that evening a band of snow set up shop right over the central Sound and dumped a ton of heavy snow very quickly. I remember frequently peeking out the back window, watching the snow pile up higher and higher above forecast. What was really fun about that event was the nature of the snowfall. Because it persisted long after the passage of the Arctic front, instead of wet slop we ended up with borderline blizzard conditions with a windswept powder blowing in every which direction, temps in the mid 20s, totaling around 4-5". The following day was brilliantly sunny and harshly cold, not too dissimilar to this recent Dec, but a few degrees warmer. I went for a walk that day and my toes nearly froze off just walking a few blocks down the street, despite the sun. The transition back was super fun too, with an inch of heavy dendritic snowfall Thanksgiving morning (also unexpected) followed by rain that afternoon.

I don't have any memories of Feb 2011, partly because North Seattle did kind of get shafted on the snow with that one, and also because I was 9 at the time.

Jan 2012 was a blast, with CZ snowfall coming in super clutch. Probably totaled in excess of a foot, but I wasn't keeping track at the time. Deepest snow I measured was 8" before the warm up, though there was some melting and compacting. The snowfall was wet in nature and the cold snap as a whole wasn't very cold... it was just super efficient. Plus I got another week off school, and I was a bit older, so that event really suck out to me. Given that it would be another 7 years until the next substantial snow event, Jan 2012 remained burned into my memory as the high water mark for Seattle snow events. Then of course Feb 2019 came and redefined everything I thought I knew about my location's climate.

So in all, the 2008-12 period was very lucky and fun at my place, comparable in scope to this recent 2019-22 period, although I'd probably prefer this recent stretch of years. It's generally been comprised of colder and snowier (and ultimately luckier) Arctic events.

I hope I can experience a full on Arctic front like Dec 2021 and Nov 2010 up North here, but I've been happy witt the events recently. The fact that December 2021 brought widespread snow south of the Arctic boundary with a south wind is pretty amazing, even Eugene recording their snowiest December day. Even the 2019-2022 period which hasn't been as favorable here has been snowier than the 2010/2011/2012 stretch. I'm really hoping for a regional arctic outbreak and widespread snow next winter, but I won't mind a dud since we've been doing pretty fine recently!

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

Just now, Doiinko said:

I hope I can experience a full on Arctic front like Dec 2021 and Nov 2010 up North here, but I've been happy witt the events recently. The fact that December 2021 brought widespread snow south of the Arctic boundary with a south wind is pretty amazing, even Eugene recording their snowiest December day. Even the 2019-2022 period which hasn't been as favorable here has been snowier than the 2010/2011/2012 stretch. I'm really hoping for a regional arctic outbreak and widespread snow next winter, but I won't mind a dud since we've been doing pretty fine recently!

Feb 2014, Dec 2016, Jan 2017 also were nice with heavy wind blowing snow all over the place in my location. Feb 2021 was also windy but windy ZR and sleet isn't as nice as windy dry snow.

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

Also, I was taking a look at the snow totals from Feb 2014, and I'm not sure but a lot of them don't look right at all. Here's a link to a recap with the snow totals at the bottom: https://web.archive.org/web/20140320133038/http://fox12weather.wordpress.com/feb-2014-snowice-wrapup/

I'm pretty sure that Hillsboro and Tigard had a lot more than 6" of snow, I had at least 9", maybe more so maybe they just have the first storm totals for those locations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

Something I have noticed over the years is that my area does very well for snow when there is cold onshore flow south of a Fraser River event where the arctic boundary hangs up around Olympia. Some other good examples of this are January 2012 and November 2006. Even January 2020 delivered heavy snowfall here. 

The pattern that produces these big time Puget Sound events can often be much more favorable for us at elevation 200-250 miles south, than gorge based snow events that impact your area and PDX. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Great recap. You are a youngster, about the same age I was when I started lurking on here over 15 years ago. Great memories. 

My first weather memory was of a thunderstorm in San Diego, would have been the late 1980s. First snow I ever saw was February 1990, about six months after we moved to Oregon. I pretty clearly remember the December 1990 arctic blast. We had a nice snow event going into that one, and our family still has some great pictures of the farm in the snow, our seasonal pond froze solid with that one and my brother and I played "hockey" on it. 

The best winter of my childhood was easily 1992-93. Salem had 32" that winter, and we had a little more at our farm about 15 miles NE of the city. 1995-96 was fun and exciting, the 1998 arctic blast was nice, but that 1997-2003 stretch was pretty awful. By the time we had a big snow event again it was December 2003/Jan 04' and I was a sophomore in college. 

Later on I would move away to finish college, but moved back after graduation, so I was here for December 2008. That was a really good stretch, I would say not as good as 92-93 down here, but better than December/Jan 04'. After another year out of state I moved back for good at the end of 2010, lived in the Willamette Valley in Silverton that winter and then moved up here in 2011. I have to say, the climate up here is so much less frustrating than living in the valley, but I really really root hard for snow at the valley floor. 

• Like 6

Trade surge already taking a bite out of the subsurface warmth.

And this only goes to July 2nd, strongest trades occurred yesterday and many weeks of enhanced trades in the pipeline still.

Upwelling wave a cometh.

ACA0F840-48DD-4884-B828-6F3873C122D8.gif

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

No sign of a slowdown anytime soon.

Easily the most impressive easterly burst on record for the month of July, given peak amplitude and duration.

A7A2BB08-9319-43C0-9510-7863BD9C7498.png

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

Looks like our 0.31" of rain yesterday was the most on a July day since 0.43" on July 9, 2016. 

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

32 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Something I have noticed over the years is that my area does very well for snow when there is cold onshore flow south of a Fraser River event where the arctic boundary hangs up around Olympia. Some other good examples of this are January 2012 and November 2006. Even January 2020 delivered heavy snowfall here. 

The pattern that produces these big time Puget Sound events can often be much more favorable for us at elevation 200-250 miles south, than gorge based snow events that impact your area and PDX. 

Sometimes the disparity between my area and PDX in snow totals can be pretty large. Like in 2013/14 and 2016/2017 I had much more than the official office in Parkrose but in every winter since I've had less (this winter basically the same though).

30 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Great recap. You are a youngster, about the same age I was when I started lurking on here over 15 years ago. Great memories. 

My first weather memory was of a thunderstorm in San Diego, would have been the late 1980s. First snow I ever saw was February 1990, about six months after we moved to Oregon. I pretty clearly remember the December 1990 arctic blast. We had a nice snow event going into that one, and our family still has some great pictures of the farm in the snow, our seasonal pond froze solid with that one and my brother and I played "hockey" on it. 

The best winter of my childhood was easily 1992-93. Salem had 32" that winter, and we had a little more at our farm about 15 miles NE of the city. 1995-96 was fun and exciting, the 1998 arctic blast was nice, but that 1997-2003 stretch was pretty awful. By the time we had a big snow event again it was December 2003/Jan 04' and I was a sophomore in college. 

Later on I would move away to finish college, but moved back after graduation, so I was here for December 2008. That was a really good stretch, I would say not as good as 92-93 down here, but better than December/Jan 04'. After another year out of state I moved back for good at the end of 2010, lived in the Willamette Valley in Silverton that winter and then moved up here in 2011. I have to say, the climate up here is so much less frustrating than living in the valley, but I really really root hard for snow at the valley floor. 

Another Willamette Valley centric winter like 1992/1993 or 2013/2014 would be nice

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Doiinko said:

Sometimes the disparity between my area and PDX in snow totals can be pretty large. Like in 2013/14 and 2016/2017 I had much more than the official office in Parkrose but in every winter since I've had less (this winter basically the same though).

Yeah, we live in a pretty marginal climate for snow at the lowest elevations, so many of the snow falls are pretty localized. There was a decent snow event in much of the Western half of the Central Willamette Valley in January 2021 that most people don't remember or have no idea even happened. Polk County got 2-4" while Silverton in Central Marion county had about 1/2". 

• Like 1

Just now, Doiinko said:

Another Willamette Valley centric winter like 1992/1993 or 2013/2014 would be nice

I prefer active winters. 2013-14 sucked in that regard. I would love a winter like 1955-56, extremely active throughout, with cold shots pretty much every month starting in November. Overall not one of the colder winters, but one of the best. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Yeah, we live in a pretty marginal climate for snow at the lowest elevations, so many of the snow falls are pretty localized. There was a decent snow event in much of the Western half of the Central Willamette Valley in January 2021 that most people don't remember or have no idea even happened. Polk County got 2-4" while Silverton in Central Marion county had about 1/2". 

That January event had a lot of snow in the air and I managed a dusting, but I think I'm too far east to benefit from cold air damming.

If the Willamette Valley scores big this winter it's a win in my books. Particularly rooting for Eugene.

• Like 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I prefer active winters. 2013-14 sucked in that regard. I would love a winter like 1955-56, extremely active throughout, with cold shots pretty much every month starting in November. Overall not one of the colder winters, but one of the best. 

Active winters are fun too in my opinion, but the double arctic blasts and three back to back to back snowstorms in the valley was really nice as well. Surprisingly the 850mb temps in the Feb event weren't that cold though, this February bottomed out at a colder 850mb temp surprisingly.

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

If the Willamette Valley scores big this winter it's a win in my books. Particularly rooting for Eugene.

Eugene's done decent for snow but not for cold recently. 15.5" in 2013/14, 5.7" in 2016/17, 2" in 2017/18, 19.1" in Feb 2019 and 10.1" last winter. They didn't get anything in Feb 2021 or 2019/2020 sadly. And no subfreezing highs since Jan 2017 😔.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I get shadowed without offshore flow so I've noticed I get more in the big storms (except when the sleet/ZR line is at my location and not PDX) and less in the smaller events which is a tradeoff I'm willing to make!

SLE going for their 5th sub-80 high of the month today. Only had one of those last July. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

Yeah November 2010 was a great one! February 2011 was even more of a surprise for my area where I think they called for a dusting as the moisture was not going to quite make it up here…Well we ended up with nearly 20”. 

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

Yeah November 2010 was a great one! February 2011 was even more of a surprise for my area where I think they called for a dusting as the moisture was not going to quite make it up here…Well we ended up with nearly 20”. 

How much snow have you had in the past few winters lol?! 

where is the best place to get past weather data for local wX reporting stations? Specifically, say if i wanted to use the LEECHER station and see historical cumulative rainfall for previous years up to this date (e.g., 2015 Jan-Jun, 2016 Jan-Jun, and so on) where would i go and how would i do that? Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

You’ve been to New Orleans in the summer, right?

Now *that’s* real humidity. Life force draining. At least we get frequent breaks up here. Down there it’s constant.

Yeah, once in July and it was the most miserable summer weather I've experienced.

• Sick 1