Jump to content
The Weather Forums

On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)


More original name title?  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. More original name title?

    • Yes
      8
    • No
      4
    • Preferance Wars
      9

This poll is closed to new votes


Recommended Posts

Our tomatoes have just exploded... they have tripled in size in the last 10 days and are cascading over the garden beds now and are out of control.    Obviously the weather has been pretty nice when the tomatoes are this happy.

  • Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Swamp said:

Pretty pathetic that we can only get a one day heatwave this year.  Sucks!

Must be tough trying to make it through this summer haven’t had one nice day here at all this year. 

 

Summer stats

max temp-95

+80s-20

+85s-12

+90s-7

Summer rainfall-4.03”

August rainfall-0.12”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kayla said:

Out of curiosity...what's Tim's rent going for these days??

You want to rent a room?   You can have the entire house during the first week of August!   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Swamp said:

84 in The Swamp now

expected more today

gotta dial back expectations

My phone is advertising near perfection...

Screenshot_20220711-191202_Google.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You want to rent a room?   You can have the entire house during the first week of August!   

I don't think I could afford your yuppie North Bend pricing.😜

  • Like 1
  • Excited 1

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 119.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16"

Highest snow depth: 20"

Coldest high: -5ºF

Coldest low: -25ºF

Number of subzero days: 1

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I don't think I could afford your yuppie North Bend pricing.😜

Friends and family discount for you!  

  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
57 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sometimes I am awe of the weather models.   There is a small patch of high clouds drifting by Portland and SW WA right now and I distinctly remember seeing that patch race by this evening on the ECMWF runs from like 3 or 4 days ago.   It stood out on the loop because there were no other clouds today.    The fact that we have weather models that can pinpoint the location of a little wisp of high clouds that far out is pretty amazing when you think about it.

How is that impressive, the models would be impressive if they could lock into and be right about a snowy pattern that far out let alone a day out sometimes.  Hard to find it impressive that they kinda showed some wispy clouds that may or may not roll through, seems like luck of the draw really that it happened.  Just me 2 cants.

  • Snow 1
  • Storm 1
  • Weenie 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like our impressive or unimpressively modeled high clouds are just to the south of here well timed to add some color to tonight’s sunset photos. Also quite a bit of smoke from that fire down in California. 

G17_sector_pnw_GEOCOLOR_24fr_20220711-2313.gif

  • Popcorn 1
  • Sick 2

 

Summer stats

max temp-95

+80s-20

+85s-12

+90s-7

Summer rainfall-4.03”

August rainfall-0.12”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

Day trip to the Cascade Crest to beat the heat. Still warm up there (80s at over 5,000') but lovely scenery and some fun chemtrails high cloud formations.

220711_untitled_004.jpg

220711_untitled_005.jpg

220711_untitled_003.jpg

220711_untitled_001.jpg

Those are some amazing photos!

  • Like 1
  • Storm 1

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Looks like our impressive or unimpressively modeled high clouds are just to the south of here well timed to add some color to tonight’s sunset photos. Also quite a bit of smoke from that fire down in California. 

G17_sector_pnw_GEOCOLOR_24fr_20220711-2313.gif

Don't like seeing that smoke heading this way.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the 10-day cooled a bit. Only one day on there hits 90 for me. But probably will be endless hell on Earth for a few forum members in the plains. 

2022-07-11 23_59_57-Ashland, KY 10-Day Weather Forecast _ Weather Underground.png

  • Storm 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 16.1"
December: 0.1"
January: 9.9"
February: 1.3"
March: 4.8"

Snow days: 10 - 4.8" - 3/12
Cold Highs (32 or below): 7
Coolest: 21 (Jan 7th)
Extreme Lows (below 10): 4 
Minimum: 5 (Jan 22nd)
Max wind: 40mph (Feb 18th)

Warm Season Stats

Thunders: 43
3/6, 3/23, 4/7, 4/11, 4/30, 5/1, 5/3, 5/6, 5/14, 5/16
5/20, 5/21, 5/27, 6/2, 6/6, 6/8, 6/13, 6/17, 6/22, 6/25
6/26, 6/27, 7/1, 7/2, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/12, 7/17, 7/18
7/21, 7/23, 7/27, 7/31, 8/1, 8/4, 8/5, 8/6, 8/7, 8/9
8/10, 8/11, 8/14, 

Tornado Watches/Warnings: 2 / 0 
Severe T'storm Watches/Warnings: 4 / 3
Frequent Lightning: 5 (5/20), (6/13), (7/6), (7/21), 8/1, 
Hailstorms: 0
Max Wind: 50mph (6/13), ~55 (7/6)

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was thinking about how the NWS issues blizzard warnings, and I know they've issued some for the Columbia River Gorge (Feb 2021 recently), but I was wondering whether conditions on the west slopes of the West Hills (Bethany, Cedar Mill, Sylvan) and east Portland could merit a blizzard warning being issued in those areas. A NOAA COOP station in Bethany during the December 1968 storm recorded sustained east winds of 30 mph for 3 hours, which means that frequent gusts 35mph+ (and stronger) probably happened, with snow falling and blowing the whole time, so visibility was probably low. That sounds like it could warrant a blizzard warning if something similar happened today, though I'm not sure. I think @Timmy Supercellalso said that there were blizzard conditions in the Bethany area during the January 2004 storm as well. East Portland/Troutdale was probably even windier. If something like that happened again, would it make sense for the NWS to issue a blizzard warning? 

  • Popcorn 1

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

I was thinking about how the NWS issues blizzard warnings, and I know they've issued some for the Columbia River Gorge (Feb 2021 recently), but I was wondering whether conditions on the west slopes of the West Hills (Bethany, Cedar Mill, Sylvan) and east Portland could merit a blizzard warning being issued in those areas. A NOAA COOP station in Bethany during the December 1968 storm recorded sustained east winds of 30 mph for 3 hours, which means that frequent gusts 35mph+ (and stronger) probably happened, with snow falling and blowing the whole time, so visibility was probably low. That sounds like it could warrant a blizzard warning if something similar happened today, though I'm not sure. I think @Timmy Supercellalso said that there were blizzard conditions in the Bethany area during the January 2004 storm as well. East Portland/Troutdale was probably even windier. If something like that happened again, would it make sense for the NWS to issue a blizzard warning? 

Yup, winds were almost knocking the power out at the Bethany Meadows Apartments. (bumping/flickering)

Standing out on the deck was not a comfortable experience. The sky had the weirdest hue of purple as it happened around when the sun was rising.

  • Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 16.1"
December: 0.1"
January: 9.9"
February: 1.3"
March: 4.8"

Snow days: 10 - 4.8" - 3/12
Cold Highs (32 or below): 7
Coolest: 21 (Jan 7th)
Extreme Lows (below 10): 4 
Minimum: 5 (Jan 22nd)
Max wind: 40mph (Feb 18th)

Warm Season Stats

Thunders: 43
3/6, 3/23, 4/7, 4/11, 4/30, 5/1, 5/3, 5/6, 5/14, 5/16
5/20, 5/21, 5/27, 6/2, 6/6, 6/8, 6/13, 6/17, 6/22, 6/25
6/26, 6/27, 7/1, 7/2, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/12, 7/17, 7/18
7/21, 7/23, 7/27, 7/31, 8/1, 8/4, 8/5, 8/6, 8/7, 8/9
8/10, 8/11, 8/14, 

Tornado Watches/Warnings: 2 / 0 
Severe T'storm Watches/Warnings: 4 / 3
Frequent Lightning: 5 (5/20), (6/13), (7/6), (7/21), 8/1, 
Hailstorms: 0
Max Wind: 50mph (6/13), ~55 (7/6)

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

Day trip to the Cascade Crest to beat the heat. Still warm up there (80s at over 5,000') but lovely scenery and some fun chemtrails high cloud formations.

220711_untitled_004.jpg

220711_untitled_005.jpg

220711_untitled_003.jpg

220711_untitled_001.jpg

Mt Washington is one of Oregon’s prettiest. The Matterhorns of Central Oregon (Thielsen, Broken Top, Washington, Three Fingered Jack) are all old volcanoes with no recent eruptive history (not in the last 10k years). As a result glaciers have eroded away at them.

Same reason Mt Hood looks so much more jagged from Hood River / The Dalles than it does from Timberline / Government Camp. There hasn’t been a big north side eruption in over 7000 years.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Timmy Supercell said:

Yup, winds were almost knocking the power out at the Bethany Meadows Apartments. (bumping/flickering)

Standing out on the deck was not a comfortable experience. The sky had the weirdest hue of purple as it happened around when the sun was rising.

Feb 2014 was also pretty windy (the first storm, the other two not as much), but power was fine at least:

  • Like 1

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Really good one tonight. 

 

 

A6410F4F-A5FF-47D2-AC36-C8C8D3461D95.jpeg

 

03BC053D-5ABC-4F48-B30E-09B9452A4A98.jpeg

Your sunset forecast was correct!

  • Like 2

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

00Z GFS is just steady for the next 7 days with lots of sun and warm but not hot.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

I think the 10-day cooled a bit. Only one day on there hits 90 for me. But probably will be endless hell on Earth for a few forum members in the plains. 

2022-07-11 23_59_57-Ashland, KY 10-Day Weather Forecast _ Weather Underground.png

Yeah I think we can stay in the “temperate zone” until ~ 7/20.

Upper 80s with dews ~ 70 isn’t bad compared to what it could be. Actually a bit below average. Cherish it while you can.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Yeah I think we can stay in the “temperate zone” until ~ 7/20.

Upper 80s with dews ~ 70 isn’t bad compared to what it could be. Cherish it while you can.

If it cools down here enough after that date, do you think PDX/SEA can manage an average/cool July? Even with the cool early June weather, PDX still ended up with a slightly warmer than average month.

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

If it cools down here enough after that date, do you think PDX/SEA can manage an average/cool July? Even with the cool early June weather, PDX still ended up with a slightly warmer than average month.

Yes I think so. I don’t expect models to have any clue on the 7/20-7/31 period right now. So many moving parts and potential conduits for error around that timeframe.

  • Like 1
  • Popcorn 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Mt Washington is one of Oregon’s prettiest. The Matterhorns of Central Oregon (Thielsen, Broken Top, Washington, Three Fingered Jack) are all old volcanoes with no recent eruptive history (not in the last 10k years). As a result glaciers have eroded away at them.

Same reason Mt Hood looks so much more jagged from Hood River / The Dalles than it does from Timberline / Government Camp. There hasn’t been a big north side eruption in over 7000 years.

We’re due!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MV_snow said:

Thank you! Heading to near Campbell River next then the Saanich Peninsula near Victoria. Do you think the drive up to Port Hardy is worth it? It would be cool to see the north end of the island, but it’s a long way from Campbell River and there doesn’t seem to be much up there.

There are a few cool things once you get there.  Telegraph cove and some nice little seaside towns but the drive from Campbell river north isn’t all that spectacular much of the way.  It takes the inland route so basically trees and mountains which you can see anywhere on the island.  You could just as easily do a short little day trip over to Gold River if you’re staying in Campbell river. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

00Z GFS is actually amazingly consistent with temps for the next 10 days.

00Z GEM is also less troughy for the weekend in favor of steady warmth.

  • Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

00Z GFS is actually amazingly consistent with temps for the next 10 days.

00Z GEM is also less troughy for the weekend in favor of steady warmth.

GEM solution is obvious bulls**t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No sunset shots tonight.  It wasn't that interesting as the skies were totally clear.  Color was okay.  It was a hot day here.  It hit 80F degrees!  That was hotter than the forecasted 77F.  It cooled off fast though and is now 64F. Quite breezy coming off Possession Sound.  Forecast is pretty much Pacific Northwest summer perfection.  Low 70s, a high 60s.  Some clouds and some sun.  Very nice.  God bless America! :D

Hope everyone is doing swimmingly. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 9.41.31 PM.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MV_snow said:

Thank you! Heading to near Campbell River next then the Saanich Peninsula near Victoria. Do you think the drive up to Port Hardy is worth it? It would be cool to see the north end of the island, but it’s a long way from Campbell River and there doesn’t seem to be much up there.

Some suggestions on your way back from The west coast would be Cathedral Grove, Coombs, Little qualicum falls and Englishman river falls. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

GEM solution is obvious bulls**t.

Trend in all the models today has been towards less troughing this coming weekend.    I don't really care how it gets there... I just like the trend towards another nice summer weekend.  

  • Popcorn 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since I didn't have a sunset picture or anything, have this other photo of the clear skies today. Mount Baker peeking up over some Cascade foothills.  Looking towards Marysville. 

evmtbakajm.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

They didn’t make it here but still a beautiful sunset on the Sound down at Redondo

Stunning day with a high of 84*

Moon is quite bright out here tonight! Down to 73 nice night. 

  • Like 5

 

Summer stats

max temp-95

+80s-20

+85s-12

+90s-7

Summer rainfall-4.03”

August rainfall-0.12”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
2 hours ago, Omegaraptor said:

Salem got to 100. Pretty impressive overperformance.

How on earth did that happen? My car thermometer said 100 this afternoon but that usually runs a few degrees high. Silverton was only 95. We hit 90 here, so a 10 degree difference.

  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Slow night!

Some good news though. Just got an email from Credit Karma letting me know my score just went up.

Me too. :lol: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

How on earth did that happen? My car thermometer said 100 this afternoon but that usually runs a few degrees high. Silverton was only 95. We hit 90 here, so a 10 degree difference.

PDX only hit 95, but Salem got hotter than they did during the heatwave in June!

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
11 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

PDX only hit 95, but Salem got hotter than they did during the heatwave in June!

Looks like they hit 96.

  • Like 1
  • Sun 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Such a great storm for (most of) Portland:

jan10-112017.gif

  • Like 2

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Doiinko said:

Such a great storm for (most of) Portland:

jan10-112017.gif

image.png.cf00b0fb8352a955c094da2ebd5b9b11.png

Far South/East Metro got kind of screwed but East Metro probably made up for it in Feb 2021, South metro I don't know though

  • Like 3

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Now it’s China’s turn in the fire.

 

It seems really extreme in terms of heat this year... all over the world.      

  • Sad 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

It seems really extreme in terms of heat this year... all over the world.      

La Niña and middle latitude heat go hand in hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Phil said:

Now it’s China’s turn in the fire.

I am assuming THI is "the Heat Index?"  If so....60c....that's 140 degrees in freedom units.  Ugly.....

 

 

Edit:  I see from the googles that it is actually "Temperature Humidity Index"....which I guess is the same thing as Heat Index?

  • scream 1
  • Sick 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

Some ridiculously warm lows this morning. SLE and PDX only got down to 68. Major UHI going on there. 

 

  • Excited 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...