On the 7th month of... July PNW 2022 (Preferance Wars)

The Blob

More original name title?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More original name title?

• Yes
    • No
    • Preferance Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

Today = Perfection. 
79/47 on the day. 
Currently 65.

.48” for the month, 34.21” for the year. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Are you mad that I don't like clouds and drizzle all summer either?   So sorry. 

Side note... I ran the satellite loop for July and August of 2010 a few weeks ago and it was really not that bad.   It cleared out almost every afternoon.   Waiting until 1 or 2 p.m. to see sunshine most days is still annoying in the summer... but at least it did clear out.  

So you admit you overreacted.

A forum for the end of the world.

10 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

So you admit you overreacted.

In 2010... yes.     It only rained on 3 days after the 4th of July through mid September.  

The mid-May through mid-June period was a mess... but 30 days of rain seems like child's play compared to about 80 days from late March through June 20th this year.    And the 4th of July was horrible in 2010.    But after that it was not really that bad.   

Even though I dread a week of extremely hot weather coming again... I would also be annoyed with a cloudy and drizzly summer.    Go figure.   I don't want either extreme.    Both make enjoying summer challenging.    But a day like today?    Heavenly.    

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

23 minutes ago, The Swamp said:

OMG OMG hide the women and children! We might get a nice sunny warm period. Oh the horrors.

Flirting with a 100 in Seattle for several days is not really a nice sunny period.    This week is a nice sunny period.  At this point I am just hoping the ECMWF is wrong or we might be headed towards even worse.

• Like 6

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Flirting with a 100 in Seattle for several days is not really a nice sunny period.    This week is a nice sunny period.  At this point I am just hoping the ECMWF is wrong or we might be headed towards even worse.

If the gfs was showing these temps and the euro was on the cool side I wouldn’t be so worried. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

If the gfs was showing these temps and the euro was on the cool side I wouldn’t be so worried. 

Yeah... the GFS is pretty reasonable.   The 12Z ECMWF run seriously bothered me and have been thinking about it all day.   

• lol 1
  • Sun 1

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... the GFS is pretty reasonable.   The 12Z ECMWF run seriously bothered me and have been thinking about it all day.   

And it wasn't that much of an outlier which was crazy, the ensemble mean for one of the days was 103 at Portland, with its cool bias.

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I spent all day thinking seriously about taking some time off next week for some jetsking and boating heatwave fun! I was not bothered by that. 

• Like 2
  • Troll 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

acting jon lovitz GIF by Saturday Night Live

I seriously don't give a sh*t what you think.    I would hate to repeat what happened last year and the 12Z ECMWF was way too close.

• Like 1
  • lol 2

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I spent all day thinking seriously about taking some time off next week for some jetsking and boating heatwave fun! I was not bothered by that. 

Yeah... water activities are great for a regular heat wave.   The event last year was hunker down crap though.  And watch the trees get burnt on the sun-facing sides.    

• Like 4
  • Snow 1

While GFS shows cooling on the 29th, the EURO is showing it will actually get HOTTER in Portland.  EURO is showing high 80s and low 90s for much of the Seattle metro.  Tacoma is consistently the hot spot in the 90s, Seattle in the high 80s and Everett in the mid 80s. Since no one is posting, I will share the maps for those who would like to see.  

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 10.02.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 10.02.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 10.03.03 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

The GFS is doing some odd stuff.

Through it's run it isn't as hot for Portland metro.  It shows cooler weather for the north with Everett being low 80s.  It has Seattle being hotter than the EURO in the low 90s, but it has Tacoma cooler than EURO in the mid to low 90s.  Then randomly later in the run, it shows high 90s for Seattle and Tacoma after the "cool down" which isn't really a cool down.  Even so, we can't see long enough into the future at the region actually cooling down. 

193254811_ScreenShot2022-07-19at10_10_11PM.thumb.png.e6d374f4733975fc1ee63e3f28800130.png1857314466_ScreenShot2022-07-19at10_10_25PM.thumb.png.829ad18cfb4f93b1cabbb33bc978514e.png2062216634_ScreenShot2022-07-19at10_10_41PM.thumb.png.4dcb8b60d49cdf45dfed968e9cac8ccd.png492306429_ScreenShot2022-07-19at10_11_14PM.thumb.png.87236b39f9765a809b2e4f38bb6a506d.png864324350_ScreenShot2022-07-19at10_11_25PM.thumb.png.bd80bec805474eae05bf6f7ccf0cc491.png835590485_ScreenShot2022-07-19at10_11_34PM.thumb.png.007ac021855f629d248627cba978bb44.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NWbyNW said:

How does Crescent City always stay so cool?  During the peak of this heat wave, the GFS shows Crescent City chilling at 57F-59F.  ❓

It’s pretty unheard of for the Northern California and southern Oregon coast to spike hot during mid summer.  Coastal inversions couple with the massive thermal gradients make it almost impossible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

The models are really looking interesting for early August.  Might be a shot at some cool continental air making its way in.

• lol 3
  • Confused 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 1
  • Windy 1
  • Troll 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2