Discussion on Autumn 2022 and New Winter Outlooks Coming Out

Niko

On 7/26/2022 at 2:02 PM, tStacsh said:

Is there where I come to get my hopes (hypes!) up just to be disappointed again?  Last 2 winters were awful (for winter lovers) in SW michigan.  I suspect more of the same.  Maybe I'll actually get a snowstorm this year?  it's been awhile.  Let me guess all the models that are discounted in the Summer for warm patterns are now in play when they show cold and snowy patterns 4-6 months out?  I'm gonna get drunk on bias in here this fall.  

Lock it in (again)! All you have to do is come here or to places like the Facebook page image I shared to see we’re all getting buried this winter and this is the year (finally) when the next massive global cooling/ice age is coming!

212943CA-DCDA-4464-BB97-9150AFAB4D17.jpeg

• Snow 1

10 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:
10 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Lock it in (again)! All you have to do is come here or to places like the Facebook page image I shared to see we’re all getting buried this winter and this is the year (finally) when the next massive global cooling/ice age is coming!

Get those snowblowers ready!!!!

• Snow 1

On 8/4/2022 at 12:50 AM, OmahaSnowFan said:

I think I saw that exact same map as far back as 2012-13 😆

• lol 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

19 hours ago, someweatherdude said:

I am by no means saying that the squirrels are predicting a cold/snowy winter.  But the article is wrong about animals not predicting weather -- even in the long range.  Veeries, a bird species, can predict hurricane season severity months in advance.  https://blog.nature.org/science/2018/09/26/this-bird-predicts-hurricanes-better-than-meteorologists/

I agree with you...I don't necessarily agree with their opinion about animals not being able to predict weather.  There is ample evidence out there suggesting how animals can predict LR wx patterns from their behavior.  I'm looking forward to this coming cold season....out of all the pre-season outlooks, this season has caught my attn early.

• Like 2

Alrighty then, here are some cooler wx thoughts as we close out the remainder of August.  My attention was drawn today up in the Arctic regions and the Baffin Bay area as the models continue to advertise what has been a common theme this entire Summer.  My gut feeling was spot on and the LRC continued to cycle throughout summer and we will finish Met Summer the same way we started it up in this region. 

It appears we will be seeing a quick transition towards Winter up in the Arctic as a cold wx pattern is poised to set up and usher in some early late Summer snows for this region.  #BuildTheNorthAmericanGlacier...the script to the movie will begin and the Arctic ice shield on this side of the Pole should reverse from its normal summer melt season.

0z GEFS...

2.png

Euro 10-day snowfall....

let it snow GIF

1`.png

0z GEFS 500mb..."The North American Vortex"....

image.png

The latest EPS Weeklies suggesting a typical La Nina pattern to kick drive the snow season early and often for B.C. and the N Rockies of the U.S.  They should have a banner start to the ski season.  September is a month that brings some volatile wx across the Nation as we see Autumn CF's clash with Summer hanging on.  I'm looking forward to tracking systems this Autumn and eventually into Winter.  Who's ready???

5.png

• Like 8

The JMA seasonal came out today and it is suggesting the wet pattern to continue from the SW region into the Heartland/S Plains/GL's...pretty much covering the entire Sub Forum...

Temp/Precip...

image.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.04.57 AM.png

September 500mb pattern...

1.png

October...I'm intrigued to see the NE PAC ridge and Blocking off the East Coast...

2.png

Temp...

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.08.09 AM.png

November...Big Signal for a -NAO...the Ridge near the Aleutians isn't an ideal placement so something to keep an eye on as it could be a Big signal for a stout -PNA/SER...would be good for the PAC NW/N Rockies to get inundated by severe winter storms...

3.png

Temp...

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 6.09.38 AM.png

• Like 5

I wanted to add some more commentary in terms of the JMA seasonal and focus in on the WPAC pattern that has been silent thus far during the warm season.  It appears nature will ignite an active pattern come next month, but esp OCT/NOV when re-curving Typhoons shall very well influence the North American pattern.  

OCT...albeit a teeny tiny hint of lower pressures over the Caribbean Sea, it suggests to me the GOM will be active and provide fuel to potential Tropical systems... 

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 5.38.15 AM.png

The AN precip pattern in the GOM looks interesting as does the AN precip over the Baja of Mexico/AZ area....

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 5.50.07 AM.png

NOV...Phase 2/3 pattern???  This could be a volatile month bc Phase 2 is cooler pattern for the East/South and Phase 3 is a signal for a Warm pattern for much of the Eastern CONUS.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 5.38.24 AM.png

• Like 3

While I don't want summer to end anytime soon, I am kinda looking forward to winter and snow.  I've been shoveling the neighbor's driveway and sidewalk for twenty years (becoming less enjoyable each year as I get older), but she died this summer.  Knowing I will now only have to shovel my own driveway and sidewalk should allow me to enjoy the snow and cold a bit more.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The latest JMA weeklies are showing a pattern we have not seen in a few years for the heartland of the nation to open up Met Autumn.  Doesn't it seem like Septembers have produced endless summer for the past number of years?  Outside of 2020, I remember '18 & '19 were blow torch years.

Sep20TDeptUS.png

Well, maybe this time we could finally enjoy a more seasonal start to Autumn instead of the unseasonable warmer starts.  Both the CFSv2/JMA are in the same camp overall...you can pretty much start waving Good Bye to Summer...

Week 2...

1.png

Temp...

image.png

Precip...very wet pattern setting up from the SW to the GL's...

image.png

Week 3-4...You can start by saying "Hello to Autumn"...

2.png

Temp...large area of cool temps for the eastern CONUS...

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 5.57.23 AM.png

Precip...this is probably the most important signal in my book as the Monsoon keeps on driving moisture farther N across the central Rockies.  Bodes well for Lake Powell and Lake Mead...

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

Here is the updated CPC outlook for September

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/lead14/index.php

the updated CPC outlook for meteorological fall

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1

And for the fun of it the long rage guess for meteorological winter

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=4

Lets see how this all plays out.

• Thanks 2

Woah, to see all 3 global climate models agree on the overall 500mb pattern for the start of Met Autumn is rare to see.  Needless to say, I'm sure many on here are ready for Autumn weather...

Voting Election 2020 GIF by INTO ACTION

Euro Weeklies from yesterday...

image.gif

The record setting Monsoon of 2022 shall continue...the locals around the valley are starting to talk about how this is the worst Monsoon season they have seen in decades.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

Well heck!   Back into the warm dry Netherlands. 😝👎

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

We are fast approaching the unofficial end to Summer and welcome the long holiday weekend coming up next week.  As a kid growing up, I would always enjoy road trips with the family during the Labor Day holiday.  I remember some good memories of road trips up into the Northwoods of Wisconsin and also the Wisconsin Dells area.  If your planning a trip anywhere from I-80 on north, it appears that some late season warmth and dry conditions will prevail.  Perfect outdoor weather for our boaters, anglers and outdoorsman.  Not soo much for those down south as a wetter/cooler pattern sets up.

1.gif

@ClintonThe Ozarks may be a bit wet...are you planning a trip down there? 

image.gif

• Like 2

The JMA weeklies show the warmer look to open up Sept but then reverse this during the 2nd/3rd week of the month.

Week 2...

2.png

Wet look shaping up for the southern half of the Sub...

image.png

Temps...

image.png

Week 3-4...the NE PAC ridge sets up...

3.png

The Monsoon pattern continues in the 4 corners region and into the Plains/Upper MW.  Could be a sign that we'll see some strong Autumn Troughs coming down out of Canada.

image.png

Temps...Seasonal/BN temp pattern for the eastern CONUS...

image.png

I've got a keen eye on the SST's up in the N PAC region, esp the NE PAC...of late, a significant warming of the waters are now starting to hug the coastline.  Could be a big clue how the wx pattern sets up for OCT/NOV and IF we see the NE PAC Ridge as a dominant wx pattern.  On the other side of the Continent, there also appears to be a signal for a Ridge pattern off the eastern Canadian shores (-NAO???).  Interesting stuff setting up next month.

image.png

• Like 2

Flowers just posted a video on F-Book about the upcoming winter and snow outlook. He didn't exactly give a forecast for snow but you can tell he's pumped up about what he found in studying the SOI. Basically the big winters for snow here in IA/NE/ S.MN are when you have a running LA NINA and it goes Neutral to slightly El Ninoish and than jumps back to LA NINA.-- sometime between say late summer/early Fall and late Winter/ early SPring. He specifically mentions 1974-75 (near 60" for both DSM and OMA) and 1880-1881 (apparently a big winter but I couldn't find snow data for those years). But what struck me is he idea also works for 09-10  (69" at DSM-- only 3" off the all time record of 1911-1912 ( I  don't have data for those years for SOI)  1961-62 also fits his pattern (64.1" at DSM). and also 1981-82 at 62.9 for DSM. 81-82 at MSP was 95"--- though his idea doens't pan out as well the further N you in the Upper Midwest as MSP doens't seem to fit the pattern as well as OMA and DSM etc.  He seems legit excited about his idea and the above data etc seems to back him up. Either way- quite interesting.

Here is a link to the SOI-

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/enso/soi

SOI forecast-

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

and for those that use F-book-- his video-

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=896545647990175

• Like 7

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

We are fast approaching the unofficial end to Summer and welcome the long holiday weekend coming up next week.  As a kid growing up, I would always enjoy road trips with the family during the Labor Day holiday.  I remember some good memories of road trips up into the Northwoods of Wisconsin and also the Wisconsin Dells area.  If your planning a trip anywhere from I-80 on north, it appears that some late season warmth and dry conditions will prevail.  Perfect outdoor weather for our boaters, anglers and outdoorsman.  Not soo much for those down south as a wetter/cooler pattern sets up.

1.gif

@ClintonThe Ozarks may be a bit wet...are you planning a trip down there? 

image.gif

No trip this weekend I was down there 2 weeks ago and they need the rain badly.  Ready to do some camping and fishing through Sept and Oct, looks like the temps will cooperate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

Flowers just posted a video on F-Book about the upcoming winter and snow outlook. He didn't exactly give a forecast for snow but you can tell he's pumped up about what he found in studying the SOI. Basically the big winters for snow here in IA/NE/ S.MN are when you have a running LA NINA and it goes Neutral to slightly El Ninoish and than jumps back to LA NINA.-- sometime between say late summer/early Fall and late Winter/ early SPring. He specifically mentions 1974-75 (near 60" for both DSM and OMA) and 1880-1881 (apparently a big winter but I couldn't find snow data for those years). But what struck me is he idea also works for 09-10  (69" at DSM-- only 3" off the all time record of 1911-1912 ( I  don't have data for those years for SOI)  1961-62 also fits his pattern (64.1" at DSM). and also 1981-82 at 62.9 for DSM. 81-82 at MSP was 95"--- though his idea doens't pan out as well the further N you in the Upper Midwest as MSP doens't seem to fit the pattern as well as OMA and DSM etc.  He seems legit excited about his idea and the above data etc seems to back him up. Either way- quite interesting.

Here is a link to the SOI-

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/enso/soi

SOI forecast-

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

and for those that use F-book-- his video-

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=896545647990175

I love Jim’s enthusiasm. That was fun to watch. Hope it verifies. 

16 hours ago, Clinton said:

Euro weeklies indicating an early frost for some and has a chilly look for most on here as we get into the first week of October.

0d40d5_4c7c88d0a3274d74b758736ce0876d3c~mv2.png

0d40d5_87b1417c046140dabd0af1f417e9695e~mv2.png

untitled image

What's interesting about this map is the expansive and deep snow cover over Canada.  I was going to comment on this the other day when I noticed the AN precip anomalies the CFSv2 is showing for the month of SEP which concurs with the Euro Weeklies.  Not to mention, but the Intermountain West appears to have a great start to their Snow season.  While I was out in Park City, UT the other week, I had this feeling inside that this winter is going to be fantastic for the Wasatch Mtn's in Utah.  They didn't have a good year last year and I'm really rooting for the entire region to get blasted.  I'd love to see a huge snow season for UT/CO/CA and the 4 corners.  Mother Nature is going to fill up those lakes!

image.gif

• Like 2

• Like 5

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

On 9/3/2022 at 5:53 PM, OKwx2k4 said:

So, chances are rapidly increasing that we do not actually flip the La Niña. If this happens, will be hard to call a snowy winter for many.

Thoughts?

Hard to believe its technically fall after having a mini-drought and dead yard all season 

Larry Cosgrove seems excited about the winter hopefully his streak keeps up as he done pretty good this summer and good in seeing the less active season tropical wise even those he was going for average he was way more right then the majority this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherfan2012 said:

Larry Cosgrove seems excited about the winter hopefully his streak keeps up as he done pretty good this summer and good in seeing the less active season tropical wise even those he was going for average he was way more right then the majority this season.

An anomalous year would be a Niña that behaves as a Niño. 

He's good at what he does. 

Would have to go back maybe to 2013(?) I think to see a dearth in Atl tropical activity.

Its just that he's one who forecasted a Niño if i recall. There's still too much cold water in the S. PAC feeding this along with atmospheric reinforcement.

5 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

An anomalous year would be a Niña that behaves as a Niño. 

He's good at what he does. 

Would have to go back maybe to 2013(?) I think to see a dearth in Atl tropical activity.

Its just that he's one who forecasted a Niño if i recall. There's still too much cold water in the S. PAC feeding this along with atmospheric reinforcement.

Yeah I'm not sure why he went with the nino with little to no support could be that he was following data that was hinting at it dissipating.another thing to and Dave Tolleris WxRisk.com is even worse in this regard they don't like to admint they were wrong on there ideas it seems to ofton they go with there ideas and there stubborn to change or acceap.which is human nature we are not great in accaping defeat.I think mostly because we want to beleave we have all the answers when in fact there still so much we really don't know and it hard to accept at times.this is a strange enso set up maybe a hard year for  winter outlooks giving the complexities of it this year and I really don't think models Data have a good handel on it which adds insult to injury.

• Like 1

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

79* right now.  43% humidity.  
Real nice evening here.  
The air seems fresher than the usual late summer dust/allergens. 😊

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Well, I think most of you on here will enjoy these maps from the latest JMA seasonal.  If this model is onto something, it is absolutely seeing a ton of high lat blocking during late Autumn into the start of met Winter.  Lets dive into the data...

OCT...

1.png

Temps...AN for the Plains and seasonal for the Upper MW/MW/GL's....precip looks normal for pretty much the entire Sub...

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 4.16.41 AM.png

NOV...this is when things get interesting...Bigly -NAO coupled with a SW ridge???

2.png

Temps/Precip... I think the model is not seeing enough cold but you can see the "corridor" of normal temps east of the Rockies...AN precip for the GL's and northern tier of US...active Northern Stream Jet...

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 4.17.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 4.22.27 AM.png

Then, this is when the Almighty -NAO can really usher in Winter when it counts!  Man, this is an eye opening 500mb pattern for everyone east of the Rockies.  I love the ridge just west of Cali and the MASSIVE Greenland Block.  Inside Sliders????  I can see that happening given this 500mb pattern off the west coast.  We haven't anything close to this since DEC '09 or '10....I hope this model is onto something and "sees" the blocking that it is advertising.  The flip from last months run for the month of NOV is notable as it also had the -NAO but didn't have the SW ridge.

3.png

Temps/Precip...again, I don't think the model is showing enough colder temps for the CONUS but you can get an idea of the "corridor" of where the colder temps should be...

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 4.17.16 AM.png

Very active N Stream and Rockies will have a bountiful start to the Snow Season..there is a pocket of AN precip in Plains and into MW/GL's...Canada is going to have a Massive Glacier being built early and often starting in OCT.  Things are looking very promising and we'll leave it at that.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 4.22.33 AM.png

• Like 8

CFSv2....here we go with the -NAO...there is a BIG LR signal I rely on that exemplifies this to be a real possibility...

1.gif

10mb Strat warming blossoming over Iceland...not only at 10mb, but at 30mb and 50mb levels...if there is this much warming at all layers of the atmosphere, I will be shocked if there is no -NAO in OCT.  I'm fully anticipating this Block to develop as we enter the month of OCT when the LRC evolves.  What usually happens in OCT cycles in DEC...will it work this year???

temp10anim.gif

• Like 4

4 hours ago, gabel23 said:

Winter outlook also came out today. Looks pretty much like your typical La Nina year. 

off03_prcp.gif

off03_temp.gif

Will be interesting to see what happens if we transition to an Enso Neutral.  Jim Flowers is excited for the winter, if you've seen his videos on Facebook about a 3rd year La Nina.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Will be interesting to see what happens if we transition to an Enso Neutral.  Jim Flowers is excited for the winter, if you've seen his videos on Facebook about a 3rd year La Nina.

3 La Nina's in a row is rare. Definitely intriguing. Really hope we all can enjoy a real winter but man, these longgggggg summers/ no fall thing is becoming a drag. I know its only mid Sept and still summer but I just assume it's gonna be 85 on Halloween 🤣 Hope it's not. Still 60s in my grids next Wednesday-on.....so I'll take that and run.

• Like 3

The latest Euro Weeklies are coming in and bring the data through end of OCT.  First Flakes could be flying for the Upper MW mid OCT...@hawkstwelve @Madtownmay be the 1st?  Actually, I'll be the first to say that @Madtownsee's his first flakes by the 15th of OCT.

image.png

I Love, Love, Love seeing the run to run consistency of a Banner start to the Snow Season for the Inter Mountain West...nice to see the Plains with a hint of snow in late OCT.  Needless to say, there is some rather interesting data coming in among the global models.

image.png

Entire 45-day run...

3.png

• Like 3
  • Excited 2
  • Snow 1