Jump to content
The Weather Forums

Longest Stretches of 90°F days in OR and WA


Recommended Posts

@Timmy Supercell's idea to make this thread, a list of longest stretches of consecutive 90 degree days in OR and WA locations:

Washington:

Bellingham: 3 days from June 26th to June 28th, 2021

Everett: 4 days from both June 26th to June 29th, 2021 and July 17th to July 20th, 1998

Seattle: 5 days from both July 1st to July 5th, 2015 and August 7th to August 11th, 1981

Olympia: 8 days from both July 26th to August 2nd, 2009 and August 12th to August 19th, 1967

Centralia: 9 days from July 26th to August 3rd, 2009

Aberdeen: 4 days from August 8th to August 11th, 1981

Hoquiam: 3 days from August 8th to August 10th, 1981

Cedar Lake: 5 days from August 8th to August 12th, 1981

Yakima: 32 days from July 13th to August 13th, 1971

Kennewick: 37 days from both July 7th to August 12th, 1910 and July 19th to August 24th, 1942

Walla Walla: 31 days from July 14th to August 13th, 1971

Ellensburg: 15 days from August 6th to August 20th, 1981 and August 7th to August 21st, 1977 and July 19th to August 12th, 2017

Wenatchee: 31 days from July 14th to August 13th, 1971

Chelan: 19 days from July 17th to August 4th, 1971

Ice Harbor Dam: 31 days from July 15th to August 14th, 1971

Spokane: 15 days from July 28th to August 11th, 2017

Mazama: 19 days from both July 17th to August 4th, 1971 and July 26th to August 13th, 2017

Pullman: 14 days from June 26th to July 9th, 2015

 

Oregon:

Portland: 10 days from July 25th to August 3rd, 2009

Salem: 13 days from July 29th to August 10th, 2017

Eugene: 12 days from both July 12th to July 23rd, 1938 and July 24th to August 4th, 2021

Medford: 34 days from both June 17th to July 20th, 2021 and July 8th to August 10th, 1961

Klamath Falls: 34 days from June 28th to July 31st, 1906

The Dalles: 26 days from August 7th to September 1st, 1923

Bend: 19 days from July 20th to August 7th, 1927

Pendleton: 31 days from both June 30th to July 30th, 1906 and July 14th to August 13th, 1971.

Redmond: 28 days from June 18th to July 15th, 2021

Baker City: 21 days from July 22nd to August 11th, 1978

La Grande: 32 days from July 15th to August 15th, 1971

Ontario: 74 days from June 28th to September 9th, 1967

Pelton Dam: 40 days from both June 18th to July 17th, 2021 and July 13th to August 21st, 1971

Tillamook 1 W: 6 days from August 11th to August 16th, 2021

Brookings: 3 days from October 7h to October 9th, 2002

Hood River: 13 days from August 6th to August 18th, 1977

Burns: 22 days from June 24th to July 15th, 2021

 

Looking at the data, in a lot of East side locations, 1971 was the main one that showed up. 2021 was second a lot of the time as well. 2009 and 1981 show up a lot West of the Cascades.

I got all of the data from this site: https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=216&network=ORCLIMATE&station=OR1175&var=high&dir=above&threshold=90&_r=t&dpi=100&_fmt=png

 

  • Like 5
  • Excited 1

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm amazed LMT/MFR were able to match each other. Medford is a hotter city by far and not limited by elevation. 

  • Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 16.1"
December: 0.1"
January: 9.9"
February: 1.3"
March: 4.8"

Snow days: 10 - 4.8" - 3/12
Cold Highs (32 or below): 7
Coolest: 21 (Jan 7th)
Extreme Lows (below 10): 4 
Minimum: 5 (Jan 22nd)
Max wind: 40mph (Feb 18th)

Warm Season Stats

Thunders: 39
3/6, 3/23, 4/7, 4/11, 4/30, 5/1, 5/3, 5/6, 5/14, 5/16
5/20, 5/21, 5/27, 6/2, 6/6, 6/8, 6/13, 6/17, 6/22, 6/25
6/26, 6/27, 7/1, 7/2, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/12, 7/17, 7/18
7/21, 7/23, 7/27, 7/31, 8/1, 8/4, 8/5, 8/6, 8/7, 

Tornado Watches/Warnings: 2 / 0 
Severe T'storm Watches/Warnings: 4 / 3
Frequent Lightning: 5 (5/20), (6/13), (7/6), (7/21), 8/1, 
Hailstorms: 0
Max Wind: 50mph (6/13), ~55 (7/6)

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Timmy Supercell said:

I'm amazed LMT/MFR were able to match each other. Medford is a hotter city by far and not limited by elevation. 

The coldest day at Klamath Falls in July 1906 was a +4.6 departure, and the month overall had a +8.5 departure.

  • scream 1

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Doiinko said:

@Timmy Supercell's idea to make this thread, a list of longest stretches of consecutive 90 degree days in OR and WA locations:

Washington:

Bellingham: 3 days from June 26th to June 28th, 2021

Everett: 4 days from both June 26th to June 29th, 2021 and July 17th to July 20th, 1998

Seattle: 5 days from both July 1st to July 5th, 2015 and August 7th to August 11th, 1981

Olympia: 8 days from both July 26th to August 2nd, 2009 and August 12th to August 19th, 1967

Centralia: 9 days from July 26th to August 3rd, 2009

Aberdeen: 4 days from August 8th to August 11th, 1981

Hoquiam: 3 days from August 8th to August 10th, 1981

Cedar Lake: 5 days from August 8th to August 12th, 1981

Yakima: 32 days from July 13th to August 13th, 1971

Kennewick: 37 days from both July 7th to August 12th, 1910 and July 19th to August 24th, 1942

Walla Walla: 31 days from July 14th to August 13th, 1971

Ellensburg: 15 days from August 6th to August 20th, 1981 and August 7th to August 21st, 1977 and July 19th to August 12th, 2017

Wenatchee: 31 days from July 14th to August 13th, 1971

Chelan: 19 days from July 17th to August 4th, 1971

Ice Harbor Dam: 31 days from July 15th to August 14th, 1971

Spokane: 15 days from July 28th to August 11th, 2017

Mazama: 19 days from both July 17th to August 4th, 1971 and July 26th to August 13th, 2017

Pullman: 14 days from June 26th to July 9th, 2015

 

Oregon:

Portland: 10 days from July 25th to August 3rd, 2009

Salem: 13 days from July 29th to August 10th, 2017

Eugene: 12 days from both July 12th to July 23rd, 1938 and July 24th to August 4th, 2021

Medford: 34 days from both June 17th to July 20th, 2021 and July 8th to August 10th, 1961

Klamath Falls: 34 days from June 28th to July 31st, 1906

The Dalles: 26 days from August 7th to September 1st, 1923

Bend: 19 days from July 20th to August 7th, 1927

Pendleton: 31 days from both June 30th to July 30th, 1906 and July 14th to August 13th, 1971.

Redmond: 28 days from June 18th to July 15th, 2021

Baker City: 21 days from July 22nd to August 11th, 1978

La Grande: 32 days from July 15th to August 15th, 1971

Ontario: 74 days from June 28th to September 9th, 1967

Pelton Dam: 40 days from both June 18th to July 17th, 2021 and July 13th to August 21st, 1971

Tillamook 1 W: 6 days from August 11th to August 16th, 2021

Brookings: 3 days from October 7h to October 9th, 2002

Hood River: 13 days from August 6th to August 18th, 1977

Burns: 22 days from June 24th to July 15th, 2021

 

Looking at the data, in a lot of East side locations, 1971 was the main one that showed up. 2021 was second a lot of the time as well. 2009 and 1981 show up a lot West of the Cascades.

I got all of the data from this site: https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=216&network=ORCLIMATE&station=OR1175&var=high&dir=above&threshold=90&_r=t&dpi=100&_fmt=png

 

It's not the best way to compare the magnitude of heatwaves because an otherwise impressive heatwave could have a streak broken by an 89 degree day or something, but it's still interesting.

  • Like 1

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Doiinko said:

The coldest day at Klamath Falls in July 1906 was a +4.6 departure, and the month overall had a +8.5 departure.

I'm assuming average high was +8.5? There have been no months at KLMT with means that high from normal to my understanding. 

Too bad sites moved over time, July 1906 should be the hottest one in that area, but the record was 2014.. And I wonder if there was any quality issues with the older station. 

  • Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 16.1"
December: 0.1"
January: 9.9"
February: 1.3"
March: 4.8"

Snow days: 10 - 4.8" - 3/12
Cold Highs (32 or below): 7
Coolest: 21 (Jan 7th)
Extreme Lows (below 10): 4 
Minimum: 5 (Jan 22nd)
Max wind: 40mph (Feb 18th)

Warm Season Stats

Thunders: 39
3/6, 3/23, 4/7, 4/11, 4/30, 5/1, 5/3, 5/6, 5/14, 5/16
5/20, 5/21, 5/27, 6/2, 6/6, 6/8, 6/13, 6/17, 6/22, 6/25
6/26, 6/27, 7/1, 7/2, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/12, 7/17, 7/18
7/21, 7/23, 7/27, 7/31, 8/1, 8/4, 8/5, 8/6, 8/7, 

Tornado Watches/Warnings: 2 / 0 
Severe T'storm Watches/Warnings: 4 / 3
Frequent Lightning: 5 (5/20), (6/13), (7/6), (7/21), 8/1, 
Hailstorms: 0
Max Wind: 50mph (6/13), ~55 (7/6)

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

It's not the best way to compare the magnitude of heatwaves because an otherwise impressive heatwave could have a streak broken by an 89 degree day or something, but it's still interesting.

Oh yeah, there were impressive heatwaves I experienced even though much of the 2010's don't make these lists there. 

2016 was overall not a bad summer, but one of my longest August waves occurred that year in mid-August.

2017 had a couple notable ones, with two back to back 99's in early August, and believe it or not the hottest week that year I think happened in the first several days of September. 

  • Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 16.1"
December: 0.1"
January: 9.9"
February: 1.3"
March: 4.8"

Snow days: 10 - 4.8" - 3/12
Cold Highs (32 or below): 7
Coolest: 21 (Jan 7th)
Extreme Lows (below 10): 4 
Minimum: 5 (Jan 22nd)
Max wind: 40mph (Feb 18th)

Warm Season Stats

Thunders: 39
3/6, 3/23, 4/7, 4/11, 4/30, 5/1, 5/3, 5/6, 5/14, 5/16
5/20, 5/21, 5/27, 6/2, 6/6, 6/8, 6/13, 6/17, 6/22, 6/25
6/26, 6/27, 7/1, 7/2, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/12, 7/17, 7/18
7/21, 7/23, 7/27, 7/31, 8/1, 8/4, 8/5, 8/6, 8/7, 

Tornado Watches/Warnings: 2 / 0 
Severe T'storm Watches/Warnings: 4 / 3
Frequent Lightning: 5 (5/20), (6/13), (7/6), (7/21), 8/1, 
Hailstorms: 0
Max Wind: 50mph (6/13), ~55 (7/6)

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

I'm assuming average high was +8.5? There have been no months at KLMT with means that high from normal to my understanding. 

Too bad sites moved over time, July 1906 should be the hottest one in that area, but the record was 2014.. And I wonder if there was any quality issues with the older station. 

I got the 8.5 departure from NOWData but like you said maybe it could've been an overexposed station?

Screenshot_20220711-214351.png

  • scream 1

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

I got the 8.5 departure from NOWData but like you said maybe it could've been an overexposed station?

Screenshot_20220711-214351.png

That is way crazier than any modern summer I've been through! The lows seem realistic, but that many days over 95 is kind of strange. What did some of the cooler July's look like?

  • Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 16.1"
December: 0.1"
January: 9.9"
February: 1.3"
March: 4.8"

Snow days: 10 - 4.8" - 3/12
Cold Highs (32 or below): 7
Coolest: 21 (Jan 7th)
Extreme Lows (below 10): 4 
Minimum: 5 (Jan 22nd)
Max wind: 40mph (Feb 18th)

Warm Season Stats

Thunders: 39
3/6, 3/23, 4/7, 4/11, 4/30, 5/1, 5/3, 5/6, 5/14, 5/16
5/20, 5/21, 5/27, 6/2, 6/6, 6/8, 6/13, 6/17, 6/22, 6/25
6/26, 6/27, 7/1, 7/2, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/12, 7/17, 7/18
7/21, 7/23, 7/27, 7/31, 8/1, 8/4, 8/5, 8/6, 8/7, 

Tornado Watches/Warnings: 2 / 0 
Severe T'storm Watches/Warnings: 4 / 3
Frequent Lightning: 5 (5/20), (6/13), (7/6), (7/21), 8/1, 
Hailstorms: 0
Max Wind: 50mph (6/13), ~55 (7/6)

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Timmy Supercell said:

That is way crazier than any modern summer I've been through! The lows seem realistic, but that many days over 95 is kind of strange. What did some of the cooler July's look like?

Looks like the coolest July was just three years later in 1909!

 

Screenshot_20220712-044554.png

  • scream 1

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Doiinko said:

Looks like the coolest July was just three years later in 1909!

 

Screenshot_20220712-044554.png

Okay, some of the other years in there look alright. If they hadn't moved locations - records would definitely include 1906. Julys 2014, 2021 and 2013 were all cooler than 1906. 

Still though, what kind of crazy pattern would support basically a month long major heatwave up at 4000 feet?

  • Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 16.1"
December: 0.1"
January: 9.9"
February: 1.3"
March: 4.8"

Snow days: 10 - 4.8" - 3/12
Cold Highs (32 or below): 7
Coolest: 21 (Jan 7th)
Extreme Lows (below 10): 4 
Minimum: 5 (Jan 22nd)
Max wind: 40mph (Feb 18th)

Warm Season Stats

Thunders: 39
3/6, 3/23, 4/7, 4/11, 4/30, 5/1, 5/3, 5/6, 5/14, 5/16
5/20, 5/21, 5/27, 6/2, 6/6, 6/8, 6/13, 6/17, 6/22, 6/25
6/26, 6/27, 7/1, 7/2, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/12, 7/17, 7/18
7/21, 7/23, 7/27, 7/31, 8/1, 8/4, 8/5, 8/6, 8/7, 

Tornado Watches/Warnings: 2 / 0 
Severe T'storm Watches/Warnings: 4 / 3
Frequent Lightning: 5 (5/20), (6/13), (7/6), (7/21), 8/1, 
Hailstorms: 0
Max Wind: 50mph (6/13), ~55 (7/6)

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Timmy Supercell said:

Okay, some of the other years in there look alright. If they hadn't moved locations - records would definitely include 1906. Julys 2014, 2021 and 2013 were all cooler than 1906. 

Still though, what kind of crazy pattern would support basically a month long major heatwave up at 4000 feet?

Yeah I wonder as well what pattern would've caused that, upper 90s for the majority of the month at 4k feet!

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Seattle will break the record for 90+ days in a row with 6 today. 

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

August 2017 is underrated. That first week and a half of the month was a total beast. 

  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2022 at 9:04 PM, Doiinko said:

@Timmy Supercell's idea to make this thread, a list of longest stretches of consecutive 90 degree days in OR and WA locations:

Washington:

Bellingham: 3 days from June 26th to June 28th, 2021

Everett: 4 days from both June 26th to June 29th, 2021 and July 17th to July 20th, 1998

Seattle: 5 days from both July 1st to July 5th, 2015 and August 7th to August 11th, 1981

Olympia: 8 days from both July 26th to August 2nd, 2009 and August 12th to August 19th, 1967

Centralia: 9 days from July 26th to August 3rd, 2009

Aberdeen: 4 days from August 8th to August 11th, 1981

Hoquiam: 3 days from August 8th to August 10th, 1981

Cedar Lake: 5 days from August 8th to August 12th, 1981

Yakima: 32 days from July 13th to August 13th, 1971

Kennewick: 37 days from both July 7th to August 12th, 1910 and July 19th to August 24th, 1942

Walla Walla: 31 days from July 14th to August 13th, 1971

Ellensburg: 15 days from August 6th to August 20th, 1981 and August 7th to August 21st, 1977 and July 19th to August 12th, 2017

Wenatchee: 31 days from July 14th to August 13th, 1971

Chelan: 19 days from July 17th to August 4th, 1971

Ice Harbor Dam: 31 days from July 15th to August 14th, 1971

Spokane: 15 days from July 28th to August 11th, 2017

Mazama: 19 days from both July 17th to August 4th, 1971 and July 26th to August 13th, 2017

Pullman: 14 days from June 26th to July 9th, 2015

 

Oregon:

Portland: 10 days from July 25th to August 3rd, 2009

Salem: 13 days from July 29th to August 10th, 2017

Eugene: 12 days from both July 12th to July 23rd, 1938 and July 24th to August 4th, 2021

Medford: 34 days from both June 17th to July 20th, 2021 and July 8th to August 10th, 1961

Klamath Falls: 34 days from June 28th to July 31st, 1906

The Dalles: 26 days from August 7th to September 1st, 1923

Bend: 19 days from July 20th to August 7th, 1927

Pendleton: 31 days from both June 30th to July 30th, 1906 and July 14th to August 13th, 1971.

Redmond: 28 days from June 18th to July 15th, 2021

Baker City: 21 days from July 22nd to August 11th, 1978

La Grande: 32 days from July 15th to August 15th, 1971

Ontario: 74 days from June 28th to September 9th, 1967

Pelton Dam: 40 days from both June 18th to July 17th, 2021 and July 13th to August 21st, 1971

Tillamook 1 W: 6 days from August 11th to August 16th, 2021

Brookings: 3 days from October 7h to October 9th, 2002

Hood River: 13 days from August 6th to August 18th, 1977

Burns: 22 days from June 24th to July 15th, 2021

 

Looking at the data, in a lot of East side locations, 1971 was the main one that showed up. 2021 was second a lot of the time as well. 2009 and 1981 show up a lot West of the Cascades.

I got all of the data from this site: https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=216&network=ORCLIMATE&station=OR1175&var=high&dir=above&threshold=90&_r=t&dpi=100&_fmt=png

 

Updates after the July 2022 heatwave:

Cedar Lake: 7 days from July 26th to August 1st, 2022

Blaine: 6 days from July 27th to August 1st, 2022

Seattle: 6 days from July 26th to July 31st, 2022

Location: Bethany, OR at about 250'

Snowfall:

     2021/2022: 6"

     2020/2021: 4.5"

     2019/2020: 1"

     2018/2019: 3.7"

     2017/2018: 5.5"

     2016/2017: 18"

     2015/2016: 1"

     2014/2015: 0"

     2013/2014: 9"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...